Gogebic vs Westwood cancelled

Conference talk for WestPAC A teams. Calumet, Gogebic, Iron Mountain, L'anse, Hancock, Houghton, Negaunee, and Westwood

Moderator: Moderator Group

Gogebic vs Westwood cancelled

Postby upfootball » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:57 pm

Westwood gets it's 2nd forfeit win of the season leaving those kids with only a 7 game regular season.

Here to you "guaranteed games" defenders of the idiots who closed this conference. Cheers!

BTW - Iron Mountain is probably gonna get the week off next week as well. Double Cheers!
upfootball
Founder

Re: Gogebic vs Westwood cancelled

Postby yooperguy1984 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:57 am

Why did Gogebic forfeit?
yooperguy1984
UP Fan

Postby yoopernib2 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:16 am

yooperguy1984 wrote:Why did Gogebic forfeit?

Here's what I found on another site, According to school officials, the decision was made to ensure the safety of its younger players, who they've had to rely on more and more as the season has gone on.
yoopernib2
Yooper Freak

Postby upfootball » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:12 am

Gogebic seems to have a participation issue. A few injuries and kids that no longer are playing have forced them to use underclassmen to fill the voids. Underclassmen the staff feels are not quite ready for Varsity football and may get hurt in the process of being forced to step in prematurely.

This is the new normal up here. I do not see this kind of thing ending anytime soon.
upfootball
Founder

Postby yooperguy1984 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:10 am

yoopernib2 wrote:

Here's what I found on another site, According to school officials, the decision was made to ensure the safety of its younger players, who they've had to rely on more and more as the season has gone on.

Source?
yooperguy1984
UP Fan

Postby yooperguy1984 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:12 am

upfootball wrote:Gogebic seems to have a participation issue. A few injuries and kids that no longer are playing have forced them to use underclassmen to fill the voids. Underclassmen the staff feels are not quite ready for Varsity football and may get hurt in the process of being forced to step in prematurely.

This is the new normal up here. I do not see this kind of thing ending anytime soon.

Approximately 450 students throughout an entire county. Yeah, that's going to be problematic. And not surprising from a place I once lived and grew up in.
yooperguy1984
UP Fan

Postby yoopernib2 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:20 am

yooperguy1984 wrote:
yoopernib2 wrote:

Source?

http://www.tapatalk.com/groups/searnfoo ... 6-s40.html
yoopernib2
Yooper Freak

Postby ftballfan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:54 pm

I'm wondering if grades came out as well. Does Gogebic not have a JV team or did they admit they'd get running clocked?
ftballfan
UP Football Guru

Postby Hambone » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:31 pm

Gogebic was already playing a lot of underclassmen, now they are dealing with injuries, grades and kids quitting. It's not about getting running clocked, it's about keeping kids safe. They've never forfeited in the past, this had to be a tough decision.
Hambone

Postby MNYooper » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:46 am

Former Bessemer Speedboy here. I heard from a friend who moved back there last year that the reason was
several injuries to upperclassmen out for the season or at least next 2 weeks. and also there have been kids
quitting as well (losing and getting hammered unfortunately I am sure). As someone else said on this thread, there
are basically 450 students in high school in Gogebic County overall (that doesn't count Watersmeet which I think
has less than 100 and is pretty far away from the 3 main towns in the co-op). So there is a serious numbers problem
and frankly the programs of Gogebic and Ironwood together have been pretty below average in both
wins and players the past 2-3 years --- so while they look sizewise able to compete with their peers
in the Westpac Copper, they were bound to have a tough season this year against much more formidable programs.

The rumor I am hearing from Bessemer is with Ojibway Prison closing, then Wakefield/Marenisco district and Bessemer will probably lose enrollment. and the thinking is that they split up the co-op including Ironwood, and Gogebic becomes just Bessemer and W-M (or just Bessemer) and goes
for an 8 man program. (this is only what i heard from my buddy who is just an observer and it likely comes from townspeople
rather than the A.D. so take it with a grain of salt. )

Ready for more conference disarray?
MNYooper
UP Fan

Postby Hambone » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:37 pm

The problem with the Gogebic co-op is not Bessemer or Wakefield/Marenisco, they have enough kids to play 11 man in the co-op for the next several years. The sophomore/freshman group is around 30 kids, just from Bessemer and Wakefield/Marenisco. The issue is they only have 9 kids from Ironwood total, 9-12. If they cut Ironwood out of the co-op and get placed in the Iron Division, they will be able to compete. Lack of upperclassmen has forced younger kids to move up, a lot of sophomores have stepped into starting roles now some of the younger guys have injuries.

It's going to take a couple of years to see how the prison closure is going to impact enrollment. Many of the employees are going to commute to Baraga, or stay there or in Marquette, Munising, and Newberry during the time they work and come home on days off. A lot of them are now in mortgages that they will never get their money back out of. The good news is that their is foundry going into Marensico that is going to start looking for employees, the mines in Wakefield and White Pine are in the works, and a biofuel plant in Ontonagon. Hopefully these opportunities will stabilize the economy over here.
Hambone

Postby MNYooper » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:50 am

Hambone, I still think there will be enrollment declines, the Copper mine is north of Wakefield and may eventually happen... I hadn't heard about the Foundry in Marenisco. Did see the Ontonagon biofuels plant... there were a bit more than 200 jobs at Ojibway, and of course you have to add on the affiliated
jobs that create to service that. so maybe overall 220-250 jobs are impacted. I still sense enrollment declines in all three of those schools. That area just doesn't have a solid employment anchor now... really hasn't since White Pine Copper closed way back when.

I do agree that Bessemer/Wakefield could be right for the smaller school conference. Long term though I think Michigan has to go to a districting football
plan like Minnesota and North Dakota. Is Wisconsin going that route soon?
MNYooper
UP Fan

Postby Hambone » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:59 am

I lived the White Pine Copper life as a kid, my Dad started there in 1971, shortly after that they laid off 2500 workers, this area was never the same after that. I'm not leaving the Gogebic Range, so I have to be optimistic about the future of jobs here.

Yes, Wisconsin is going to "football only" conferences starting in 2020, six and seven team conferences. It' s going to guarantee full schedules with mandatory crossover games.
Hambone

Postby upfootball » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:30 pm

What is different about Wisconsin is the mandatory crossover games are WIAA driven so all teams will have guaranteed games, not just two conferences. Also some of these programs are probably not going to like who they are forced to play.

It will be very interesting if the MHSAA makes a move because of this with the GNC teams being shut out both by the other UP teams and the Wisconsin teams as far as programs available to play. The MHSAA has never played big brother like the WIAA does, but this may force their hand.

If not 2020 will be the year the GNC plays pretty much only GNC teams multiple times, which really isn't ideal at all.
upfootball
Founder

Postby ftballfan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:58 am

upfootball wrote:What is different about Wisconsin is the mandatory crossover games are WIAA driven so all teams will have guaranteed games, not just two conferences. Also some of these programs are probably not going to like who they are forced to play.

It will be very interesting if the MHSAA makes a move because of this with the GNC teams being shut out both by the other UP teams and the Wisconsin teams as far as programs available to play. The MHSAA has never played big brother like the WIAA does, but this may force their hand.

If not 2020 will be the year the GNC plays pretty much only GNC teams multiple times, which really isn't ideal at all.

I thought the WIAA was leaving weeks 1 and 2 open for schools to schedule whoever (unless their plans changed again)
ftballfan
UP Football Guru

Postby MNYooper » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:23 am

Hambone, you are right, the Gogebic Range needs to stay alive... so lets hope there is something to give good liveable wages
again there.

As to football , given the talk about Wisconsin here, like most from our end of the U.P. it is a shame that the traditional rivalries
with Hurley are gone.
MNYooper
UP Fan

Postby Hambone » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:27 pm

Wisconsin is leaving weeks 1 and 2 open for nonconference games, however Wisconsin starts a week early leaving only Michigan week 1/Wisconsin week 2 for Michigan schools to try and find a game. I'm not sure the MHSAA is going to go back to allowing waivers for Michigan schools to start a week early.
Hambone

Return to Western Peninsula Athletic Conference - Copper