Preseason projections

Conference talk for WestPAC A teams. Calumet, Gogebic, Iron Mountain, L'anse, Hancock, Houghton, Negaunee, and Westwood

Moderator: Moderator Group

Preseason projections

Postby Eagle Backer » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:08 am

Ok prognosticators, the preseason college rankings just came out so let’s start some arguments early. What order do you predict the teams in this conference will rank at end of season?
"The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure. These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur." Vince Lombardi
Eagle Backer
All UP

Re: Preseason projections

Postby pondrocket14 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:57 pm

Calumet
Negaunee
Westwood
Houghton
Iron Mountain
Hancock
Lanes
Gogebic
pondrocket14
Yooper Freak

Postby Zarek » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:23 pm

pondrocket14 wrote:Calumet
Negaunee
Westwood
Houghton
Iron Mountain
Hancock
Lanes
Gogebic

Are you sure you meant to put Houghton ahead of Iron Mountain there?

I don’t really have much info on any teams except for past JV records, but I thought Iron mountain will be returning some good talent and wants make another case for one of the top spots.
Zarek
UP Football Guru

Postby pondrocket14 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:25 pm

I don’t know much about IM, they are usually good obviously. Had a pretty good JV team last year but I think Houghton will sneak up on people this year.
pondrocket14
Yooper Freak

Postby JustAyooper » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:50 am

Iron Mountain
Calumet
Negaunee
Westwood
Hancock
L’anse
Houghton
Gogebic
JustAyooper
UP Fan

Postby GremlinNation » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:00 am

Iron Mountain 6-1
Negaunee 6-1
Westwood 5-2
Houghton 4-3
Calumet 4-3
Hancock 2-5
L'Anse 1-6
Gogebic 0-7
GremlinNation
UP Fan

Postby Tiger » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:34 am

pondrocket14 wrote:I don’t know much about IM, they are usually good obviously. Had a pretty good JV team last year but I think Houghton will sneak up on people this year.

So who is 0-2 Houghton sneaking up on? Can't even beat Lanse...... Houghton clearly will never figure it out when it comes to football. I'd love to see them do well, but they lack the toughness and commitment to get it done. It's undeniable at this point. Houghton would be perfectly happy finishing in the middle of the pack when they are one of the larger schools, not my team NOT ACCEPTABLE. Even worst they will most likely finish on the bottom or just edge out struggling schools they shouldn't even be playing vs. HOCKEY can't be an excuse forever, I'm fairly certain Calumet has Hockey. A massive culture shift is the only thing that will ever save Houghton when it comes to football.

There was a time when Houghton was 5-0 and had every possibility of being great. I was there. After beating Calumet the team acted like they won the SB. The entire time I was thinking to myself we haven't done anything yet. Shortly after we had a bye week, that's where the team went into hibernation mode(Hockey after all was coming up.) We lost to 2-teams we should have never lost to. Those games they never escape me, they are constantly with me. What happened? What went wrong? What could I have done differently to change the outcome? The team lost focus! Beating Calumet and WIC back to back was Houghton's SB. We had did it. Like I said as far as I was concerned we did nothing. Playoffs came around and we lost to WIC 6-3 at home a team we easily beat early in the year 19-0 at Home. This is Houghton football. I don't even want to discuss the next season where no one showed up to play. It's embarrassing. It's sickening. It's Houghton football culture. Yeah I'm angry. People tell me to deny that anger, but that would be a lie. Just like it's a lie and wishful thinking to place Houghton above Iron Mountain in any preseason poll.

Iron Mountain is 2-0 as expected and has a much stronger football tradition. Anyone betting against them vs Houghton is not very familiar with how this typically goes.
Tiger
UP Football Guru

Postby pondrocket14 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:34 am

Yes, the actual season has a way of making preseason prognostications seem ridiculous. Not sure what I was thinking, probably just looking to get some banter going. In regards to Houghton, I agree. They have the athletes obviously, but no culture. Culture starts with coaching. Good, enthusiastic, high energy coaches who have the job that allows them to coach football are rare. When Houghton finds one, they will be fine.
pondrocket14
Yooper Freak

Postby Hambone » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:08 pm

Hard to develop culture at a place like Houghton, when they change head coaches every other year or so.
Hambone

Return to Western Peninsula Athletic Conference - Copper