West PAC Copper Preview/Projections 2020

Conference talk for WestPAC A teams. Calumet, Gogebic, Iron Mountain, L'anse, Hancock, Houghton, Negaunee, and Westwood

Moderator: Moderator Group

West PAC Copper Preview/Projections 2020

Postby GremlinNation » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:45 pm

Any projections for the Copper in the shortened season?

Negaunee - 6-0 (3-0)
The Miners have probably the easiest schedule of any team in the Copper. Outside of going to Gladstone week 5 and their rivalry game week 9 versus Westwood, they should cruise to 6-0 despite losing their starting quarterback.
Iron Mountain - 6-0 (4-0)
The Mountaineers are in a very similar situation as Negaunee, except they have to go to Westwood and also play Calumet. If they get by those two, however, they should easily go undefeated again.
Calumet - 3-3 (2-1)
The Copper Kings will be a lot better than a .500 record would indicate, but tough games against Kingsford, Iron Mountain and Marquette will probably not fall their way.
Westwood - 4-2 (2-2)
The Patriots have the two powerhouses in the Copper to start and end their season, but they should be able to win the four middle games.
Houghton - 3-3 (1-2)
The Gremlins return a lot from last year, but also have a new coach for the third time in four years. They could easily be 1-5 as they will have close games against Hancock and Bark River, but I am biased.
Hancock - 2-4 (0-4)
The Bulldogs get some easy match-ups early, but Westwood, Iron Mountain and Calumet will derail their season before a showdown in Houghton for Copper Bowl.
L'Anse - 2-4 (0-3)
The Purple Hornets have some decent talent returning, but they have a very similar situation to Hancock, playing West Iron, Negaunee, Westwood, and Iron Mountain all in a row. They will have a tough game week 9 against Bark River, but they should be able to pull it out on Senior Night at home.
GremlinNation
UP Fan

Re: West PAC Copper Preview/Projections 2020

Postby Zarek » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:00 pm

I don’t think I remember reading anything about Houghton getting a new football coach over the offseason. Last season it was Kurt Huffmaster, Any idea who it is now?

Is it someone they promoted in-house, or someone from outside they hired?
Zarek
UP Football Guru

Postby GremlinNation » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:34 pm

The head coach is Micah Stipech, the elementary counselor. He has formerly coached as an assistant for Houghton Hockey, Finlandia Hockey, and as the head coach for Team CC.

The assistant/lines coach is Anders Hill, the elementary principal. He started at center for CMU for 3 years and was 2nd team all conference his senior year, and has coached high school football previously downstate.

Stipech and Hill both helped coach varsity in Huffmaster's first year, but neither had an established role.
GremlinNation
UP Fan

Postby GremlinNation » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:44 pm

Westwood and Iron Mountain's game has been cancelled due to injuries for Westwood. From what I have heard they have 13 healthy right now, so I'm gonna have to rethink that prediction a little bit.
GremlinNation
UP Fan

Return to Western Peninsula Athletic Conference - Copper