2020 west pac iron preview

Conference talk for WestPAC B teams. Bark River-Harris, Gwinn, Ishpeming, Lake Linden-Hubbell, Manistique, Munising, Norway, and West Iron County

Moderator: Moderator Group

2020 west pac iron preview

Postby staylowanddrive » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:14 pm

Teams out of league: Munising and Lake Linden Hubble
Teams shifted to iron: Gogebic
Schedule is all six teams plus three crossovers.

Initial assessment based on last year finish
Ishpeming—how much does “the program” matter because they lose almost everybody
West iron—good pieces coming back, should contend
Bark river Harris—deep and strong, should contend
Manistique—surprised a few last year, return a lot but not POY
Gwinn—replacing coach but have size and speed
Norway—good numbers and a strong JV, should be improved
Gogebic—looking for some Ws in smaller school competition.

I’m blindly opptimistic that football will be played and normal. Which teams/players should excite the west pac-iron fans?
staylowanddrive
UP Fan

Re: 2020 west pac iron preview

Postby yoopernib2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:49 am

Just my take. Ishpeming—Now looking for a coach talent lacking, grade school team looked great Ishpeming has a few years before there back, with the right coaching. West iron—Good team could be great seems like the coach and school system doesn't mind the dirty play they are known for. Bark river Harris—Solid could make some noise. Manistique— When this team was in the JVs were very good expect them to do well. Gwinn—With the loss of what I think was a great coach Gwinn on a rebuild. Norway—Talk is Norway going 8-man in 2021 sad to see, i'd say better record than last year. Gogebic—Double the size of some schools in the Iron should win some games by attrition, hope numbers go up when the kids see their new schedule.
yoopernib2
UP Football Guru

Postby staylowanddrive » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:24 am

With no scrimmages a few intriguing things pop up week one.

Gwinn and BRH probably return the most starters in the league and gwinn will have a new coach (new system?). How does not having tape on the new look modeltowners affect to broncos. Could be a very interesting opener

Also Gogebic plays west iron. In a sort of “relagation” game the miners drop down to the iron, but the wykons are still the class of Iron division so we may see the real gap between the divisions. If Gogebic can play with west iron, they may be in line for many more wins

Ishpeming at Manistique might be fun. New coach again for the Hematites and this might be a chance for competitiveness that the emeralds program needs.

I haven’t figured out who Norway plays week one yet. It will be a cross over, so the knights look to make a statement.

More previews coming, let’s play some football!!
staylowanddrive
UP Fan

Postby JustAyooper » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:50 pm

I am hoping to see some great football assuming we get to watch/listen to a full year. Just my thoughts on teams strengths and their week one schedules.

I will start with talking about Gwinn and BRH. Gwinn is a big question mark for me still, because we are not sure if they are having a new system and we will not truly know until week one(no scrimmage). The new coaching can obviously hurt the Modeltowners the same way, and have no game speed practice with a new play style(if there is one) until week one.
I believe BRH will be in the opposite boat. They made playoffs last season and are returning a large number of students. I think the Broncos are in early contention for the conference. I am not going to give a final score prediction, but I do think Bark River wins by at least 8+.

Next up is Norway playing at home vs Calumet(https://norwayknights.org/main/teamsche ... id/4493495). Honestly, I do not think Norway will do too well this year. Since nobody else has gave their own final predictions yet I will not throw my projected record for them out there yet, but to put it as it is, there is not a high number in that left column. That starts with a week one game against a team I believed was the second best in the UP all through last season in Calumet. I feel like the Copper Kings are going to start right back up with their speed from last year and will easily win this game. Out of all the games week one this is the one I am least excited for.

Next is West Iron and Gogebic. The miners really need to make a statement this year in hopes to keep the co-op together. They are going to be very eager to win some games this year, and if I remember correctly, Gogebic beat west iron's JV last season. However, WIC is returning a decent amount of talent, along with some younger skill. I think West Iron will do well this year and continue with their aggressive style they have had for so long. This game will be closer then the meeting between the two last season on the Wykon's homecoming, but I think it will still be a definite win for WIC.

Lastly is Ishpeming and Mano. I do not know much about these two besides the fact their biggest offensive pieces were seniors last year. Manistique almost pulled this one off last year and that really surprised some people. With Ishpeming getting a new HC(again) it could be very challenging to get a week one win here. Based off previous years this would be considered a big upset, but I have the Emeralds pulling this one off. I think it will be very close and a battle, and probably one of the better games in the west pac this season. But unlike the week one thriller between BRH and Gwinn last season, I think this will be a hard fought defensive battle with not too much scoring. Feel free to discuss any of this with me, I love hearing other opinions!
JustAyooper
UP Fan

Postby yoopernib2 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:57 am

JustAyooper wrote:I am hoping to see some great football assuming we get to watch/listen to a full year. Just my thoughts on teams strengths and their week one schedules.

I will start with talking about Gwinn and BRH. Gwinn is a big question mark for me still, because we are not sure if they are having a new system and we will not truly know until week one(no scrimmage). The new coaching can obviously hurt the Modeltowners the same way, and have no game speed practice with a new play style(if there is one) until week one.
I believe BRH will be in the opposite boat. They made playoffs last season and are returning a large number of students. I think the Broncos are in early contention for the conference. I am not going to give a final score prediction, but I do think Bark River wins by at least 8+.

Next up is Norway playing at home vs Calumet(https://norwayknights.org/main/teamsche ... id/4493495). Honestly, I do not think Norway will do too well this year. Since nobody else has gave their own final predictions yet I will not throw my projected record for them out there yet, but to put it as it is, there is not a high number in that left column. That starts with a week one game against a team I believed was the second best in the UP all through last season in Calumet. I feel like the Copper Kings are going to start right back up with their speed from last year and will easily win this game. Out of all the games week one this is the one I am least excited for.

Next is West Iron and Gogebic. The miners really need to make a statement this year in hopes to keep the co-op together. They are going to be very eager to win some games this year, and if I remember correctly, Gogebic beat west iron's JV last season. However, WIC is returning a decent amount of talent, along with some younger skill. I think West Iron will do well this year and continue with their aggressive style they have had for so long. This game will be closer then the meeting between the two last season on the Wykon's homecoming, but I think it will still be a definite win for WIC.

Lastly is Ishpeming and Mano. I do not know much about these two besides the fact their biggest offensive pieces were seniors last year. Manistique almost pulled this one off last year and that really surprised some people. With Ishpeming getting a new HC(again) it could be very challenging to get a week one win here. Based off previous years this would be considered a big upset, but I have the Emeralds pulling this one off. I think it will be very close and a battle, and probably one of the better games in the west pac this season. But unlike the week one thriller between BRH and Gwinn last season, I think this will be a hard fought defensive battle with not too much scoring. Feel free to discuss any of this with me, I love hearing other opinions!

From what i'm hearing Ishpeming is hurting for varsity players and may not have enough to field a team same for Norway .
yoopernib2
UP Football Guru

Postby JustAyooper » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:47 pm

Do you know a number for players for IHS? Just saw posted that norway has 33 from 9-12 grade.
JustAyooper
UP Fan

Postby staylowanddrive » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:02 pm

Thank for joining in. Since we won’t know til spring here are my predictions

Calumet 34-
Norway 6

Gwinn 22
BR Harris 38

WIC 28
Gogebic 22

Ishpeming 6
Manistique 22

Who does a delay to spring help most? Probably young teams needing weight training. So ishpeming, gwinn, Manistique.
staylowanddrive
UP Fan

Postby Hambone » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:48 pm

You don’t even know if the schedule will look like this in the spring, it sure won’t be 9 games.
Hambone

Postby yoopernib2 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:54 pm

Come on spring football in the UP really, does anybody see this working.
yoopernib2
UP Football Guru

Postby JustAyooper » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:43 pm

Now that we have a season starting at week 4, what’s the predictions?!
JustAyooper
UP Fan

Postby yoopernib2 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:56 am

Don't think Ishpeming has enough players to make a varsity team, that's the last i've heard, Should know more Monday.
yoopernib2
UP Football Guru

Postby staylowanddrive » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:33 am

Calumet/west iron county—this could be a really good one. Two programs with playoff heritage and a lot returning. It’ll be a sea of blue, with the copper kings on top. 32-20

Norway/iron mountain—Norway has some pieces but numbers are an issue. IM is very physical and outmuscles the knights. IM 42-6

Hancock/gwinn-intriguing game. Gwinn will score points this year. Explosive edge players and a scheme that will get them the ball. But Hancock wins with defense in what should be a fun contest. Hancock 26-12

Manistique/negaunee—surprising that only two points separated these two last year (and an advanced fumble PAT call that Manistique swears was illegal). Until we see how the emeralds replace Anderson, the big schools win another. Miners 22-16

Ishpeming/Westwood—hopefully ishpeming will field a squad. Let the boys take their lumps, they’ll be better for it. However this wouldn’t be competitive. Pats 42-6

Houghtom/bark river Harris—the last best hope for the iron division. Broncos represented UP well in Lansing so I hope they get it done. They stand their claim as a playoff threat to go downstate. Broncos 30-22

Gogebic/l’anse—gogebic was excited to reboot in iron and the change puts them back with old foes for weeks one two and six. Tough break and while improved, l’anse gets em. 36-12

So thankful for football and this forum. Love all UP kids playing this crazy season. It will be memorable!!!!
staylowanddrive
UP Fan

Postby JustAyooper » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:49 am

I also want to say thank you for keeping this page active, and thank you for the people who use it so often to keep it fun! I love learning about history of football in the UP, as well as keeping up with whats going on in the UP today. Thank goodness for this season being brought back!

Game 1: Calumet and WIC. Both teams will be returning a lot of talent and speed into this season. Calumet has beat WIC the last few times but it is still a fun rivalry game to keep an eye on. I have a feeling that WIC takes it this year, 28-20

Game 2: Norway and Iron Mountain. This game feels like its a bad mix and could be a blowout. Norway does not have a lot of size, and IM is coming off an amazing season with going to the Semi's. I don't expect an upset here by any means. IM 48-14.

Game 3: Hancock and Gwinn. Gwinn has some great athletes on their squad and I think they will take big improvments from last season. I also think the Modeltowners will play with a lot more heart and motivation this year due to the situation with Coach Brown. I have Gwinn taking this one, 21-16

Game 4: Manistique and Negaunee. It was exciting to see how good Manistique did last season, but I do not see it being another season of them trending upward, at least until they can find a replacement for their QB. I have Negaunee taking this one 28-8.

Game 5: Ishpeming and Westwood. Hopefully Ishpeming can field a team this season and the boys can play as the season comes back. If they do however, this will be a game I dont see them having a chance in. I'll give it to Westwood, 45-7.

Now that the season is back, lets play ball!
JustAyooper
UP Fan

Postby yoopernib2 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:35 pm

Just announced on TV6 Ishpeming will not have a varsity team this year..
yoopernib2
UP Football Guru

Postby Up Football Fan » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:58 pm

Gwinn, West Iron County and Gogebic still with open dates:

Gwinn week 6 (Oct 2).....some possible opponents below:

Brown City
Harbor Springs
Lutheran Westland
Horicon/Hustisford (WI)
Waterloo (WI)

West Iron County week 7 (Oct. 9)....some possible opponents below:

Rogers City
Wyoming Godwin Heights
Oshkosh Lourdes Academy (WI)
Wautoma (WI)

Gogebic week 8 (Oct. 16).....some possible opponents below:

Johnson Creek (WI)
Mishicot (WI)
St. Croix Central (WI)
Viroqua (WI)
Support your local school district.
Up Football Fan

Postby Hambone » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:23 pm

Open dates are going to be tough to fill, unless you want to travel. Neutral site games are off the table, no one wants to host due to COVID concerns.
Hambone

Postby Up Football Fan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:26 pm

Northern Elite (WI) has cancelled it's Oct. 23rd game against Norway.

Norway left with open date for now...
Support your local school district.
Up Football Fan

Return to Western Peninsula Athletic Conference - Iron