2019 season

Conference talk for the UP 8 Man Football East Conference. Brimley, Cedarville, Engadine, Pickford, Rapid River, Rudyard, and Superior Central

Moderator: Moderator Group

2019 season

Postby steve grinsteiner » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:39 pm

Who'll be the top contender in the conference? Any new teams in the conference?
steve grinsteiner
All UP

Re: 2019 season

Postby Eagle Backer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:16 pm

Pickford is returning most of its starters and their JV was solid last year too.
"The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure. These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur." Vince Lombardi
Eagle Backer
All UP

Postby steve grinsteiner » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:00 pm

I agree, Pickford will be loaded once again this year.
steve grinsteiner
All UP

Postby tjays » Mon May 20, 2019 6:58 am

Pickford will be a there again for sure!
tjays
UP Fan

Postby deerslayer » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:25 pm

I thought Pickford lost their big stud. They didn’t compete too well in the finals.
deerslayer
UP Fan

Postby Up Football Fan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:26 pm

deerslayer wrote:I thought Pickford lost their big stud. They didn’t compete too well in the finals.

The Panthers played in that Final without their top running back from the regular season. He was injured late in the year and missed the championship game.
Support your local school district.
Up Football Fan

Postby Eagle Backer » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:44 am

What does Rapid River have coming back this year? They going to make another run?
"The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure. These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur." Vince Lombardi
Eagle Backer
All UP

Postby Mr. NCAA » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:19 pm

Based on my week 1 predictions, the two should meet up in the D2 semifinals. However, things will be changing on the playoff projection field as the season goes along.
Mr. NCAA
Visiting Guru

Postby Eagle Backer » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:19 pm

Mr. NCAA wrote:Based on my week 1 predictions, the two should meet up in the D2 semifinals. However, things will be changing on the playoff projection field as the season goes along.

Which two?
Eagle Backer
All UP

Postby Mr. NCAA » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:05 pm

I think that Rapid River and Pickford was mentioned before my post.
Mr. NCAA
Visiting Guru

Postby Eagle Backer » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:13 am

So you think Pickford will drop into D2 next year? Not arguing your point but I am curious, do you know something about the kids Rapid has or just going off of the program history?
Eagle Backer
All UP

Postby Mr. NCAA » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:23 pm

RR will still probably have a tough path to make the semis (beat Engadine and CFFP last year). I count 7 teams (provided that Detroit Academy of America only wants to play 6 games according to the MHSAA and not schedule Central Lake) above Pickford that will be playoff ineligible based on what I am seeing unless MHSAA granted some type of waiver that I don't know about. This would make Pickford team #41 out of 71 playoff eligible team (Flint School for Deaf didn't have enough games scheduled over the weekend before the playoffs started) I have 79 teams on my CPA spreadsheet, but I guess that I should be adding in Bangor, another ineligible team. So I don't think that Pickford will wind up in D1 based on the 41/71 stat.

This is based on me being right 100% (won't happen) of the time in the preliminary early bird week 1 predictions. Please note that I didn't put teams by away and home - just potential regions. I gave Carney Nadeau the benefit of the doubt for their week 1 Wisconsin game. Please note that Colon begins the D2 playoff projection list according to the predictions. Please note that I didn't use a map or mapquest for any of the regions, but just took a guess. I will take a look at Snooze's map later on for regions 3 & 4 to see how it should be down there. Snooze has the new teams added to his map so not moving teams around on here, but did notice a change that I wanted to make and potentially a second one.

WEEK 1
D2 8 MAN FOOTBALL PLAYOFF PROJECTIONS
REGION 1

Engadine
Powers North Central
Carney Nadeau
Rapid River

REGION 2
Onekama
Pickford
Au Gres Sims
Bellaire

REGION 3
Peck
Mount Pleasant Sacred Heart
Climax Scotts
Colon

REGION 4
Burr Oak
Tekonsha
North Adams
Waldron
Mr. NCAA
Visiting Guru

Postby Mr. NCAA » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:54 am

With the real game scores after week 1 the playoff projections were 73.4% accurate the last 2 years with 32 teams making the playoffs. Teams like CFFP and WTUC (will be interesting to see how they fare without the co-op programs) scheduled tough games in week 1 so a good team had to lose in week 1. With just 16 teams making the playoff field week 1 playoff projection was 76.0%. So the accuracy has gone down with more teams making the 8 man football playoffs combined with more schools sponsoring 8 man football.
Mr. NCAA
Visiting Guru

Postby Eagle Backer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:04 am

I'm confused, why is it you think Carney-Nadeau is going to make the playoffs? They didn't win a game last year. Did you mean to put North Central in there?
Eagle Backer
All UP

Postby Mr. NCAA » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:49 am

I'm confused, why is it you think Carney-Nadeau is going to make the playoffs?

I didn't say that or I would have put CFFP on the playoff projection list with a loss. The list represents how the playoff field would look like after week 1 games are completed and if the playoffs started after week 1. I gave Carney Nadeau the benefit of the doubt against their Wisconsin opponent or do you think that the Wisconsin opponent will beat them in week 1?
Mr. NCAA
Visiting Guru

Postby Mr. NCAA » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:22 am

The MHSAA is considering Mesick playoff eligible as they are under the 215 threshold. So 72 playoff eligible teams so far for this year.
Mr. NCAA
Visiting Guru

Postby Mr. NCAA » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:16 pm

Just curious why no reply on the Carney Nadeau vs. Marion/Tigerton Wisconsin game?

This is like Searn not answering the question of the boys basketball forum being removed on his forum when HSSportsGuru did a fantastic job in posting scores so much so that the MHSAA used his link.

Anyways this is what was posted before the projections started:
WEEK 1
D2 8 MAN FOOTBALL PLAYOFF PROJECTIONS

Pretty clear to me that it meant after week 1 games had been played. I did it so I could get rid of CPA errors that might have crept in even though I use copy and paste a ton of the time. I did find two errors so good thing that I did do the preliminary picks. Too bad that the MHSAA can't check their work.
Mr. NCAA
Visiting Guru

Postby Mr. NCAA » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:42 pm

3 teams not playing this year - Flint School for Deaf, Grand Traverse, and Wolverine. Wolverine is below the 7 game threshold to be playoff eligible even if a miracle occurred so back to 71 teams playoff eligible. With schedule changes the above forecast changes as I saw team #32 not being on the playoff projection list anymore. Plus I have to confirm the opponents won loss records to make sure no errors happened while I put in the new games.
Mr. NCAA
Visiting Guru

Postby Mr. NCAA » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:58 pm

Well that was fast and you should be pleased as Carney Nadeau is no longer on the week 1 playoff projection list as they moved down based on the new schedules. So now have to find what team it was that moved ahead of them and what division to boot.

For the record the above is similar to AuldSchool's work for 11 man football only I start in week 1 for 8 man football and have a different tiebreaker.

It made a world of difference as this put Pickford into Region 1.
Mr. NCAA
Visiting Guru

Postby Eagle Backer » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:27 am

Did wolverine lose games or just never scheduled a full schedule.
Eagle Backer
All UP

Postby yoopernib2 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:54 am

Eagle Backer wrote:Did wolverine lose games or just never scheduled a full schedule.

Sounds like Wolverine has canceled their season
yoopernib2
Yooper Freak

Return to Great Lakes Eight Conference - East