Nordics girls basketball coach steps down

Post articles from online media sources here. This is a good place to cut and paste article's from online newspapers. Make sure you read the rules for this.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Nordics girls basketball coach steps down

Postby 1stFP#15 » Sat May 14, 2016 2:15 pm

May 14, 2016

By BURT ANGELI - Sports Writer , Daily News

FELCH - Mike Roell felt it was time to step down from North Dickinson girls basketball.

Roell, after 15 seasons coaching the Nordics, decided not to reapply for the position. North Dickinson County School Board named Rick Faust this week to take over the coaching reins.

"It takes a great deal of time and energy," Roell said of a five-month season and basketball program that runs through the summer. "I just felt that I didn't have the dedication and enthusiasm that the girls deserve."

Roell also conducts summer gyms and a Saturday basketball program for elementary girls held in January and February.

Roell posted a 157-174 overall record with the Nordics, including 108-91 against Skyline Conference opposition.

The Nordics won four conference championships, two districts and a regional in 2007-2008.

Roell was named Skyline Conference Coach of the Year four times and coached in three U.P. All-Star games.

"I have had the pleasure to coach many, many awesome young ladies over the years and I will definitely miss that," Roell said. "I would like to thank the parents and many people that helped me."

Roell also benefitted from family support, citing his wife, Lynn, for taking stats at games and son, Cory, for driving the bus to most of the away games.

Lynn missed only one game in 15 years.

"She also helped run the Saturday basketball program," Mike Roell said. "Without her I would of never been able to coach as long as I did."

Faust coached North Dickinson girls basketball from 1996 to 2000.

"Rick is enthusiastic and is excited to take over the program,' Roell said. "I think he will do an excellent job."

Roell will remain as North Dickinson athletic director, business manager and food service director. He will also continue to coach girls track next season.
1stFP#15
All UP

Return to Media Articles