Lake Linden's Brett Beauchamp gets the run of his life

Post articles from online media sources here. This is a good place to cut and paste article's from online newspapers. Make sure you read the rules for this.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Lake Linden's Brett Beauchamp gets the run of his life

Postby Amasaman » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:55 pm

http://www.freep.com/article/20111028/H ... 20News%7Cp

Mick McCabe: Lake Linden's Brett Beauchamp gets the run of his life

Brett Beauchamp was looking forward to his senior year of football at Lake Linden-Hubbell until a day in May when he and his girlfriend went for a car ride.

"They were going too fast on a back road," said Lake Linden football coach Andy Crouch. "He's lucky to be alive."

While the girl was fine, Beauchamp was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the car. He underwent four surgeries, two to his brain and one to remove his spleen, and a prosthesis replaces part of his skull that was damaged.

Beauchamp is so highly thought of in the Upper Peninsula town of Lake Linden that a spaghetti dinner fund-raiser that hoped to serve 200 wound up serving 1,300.

"He's an unbelievable kid," Crouch said. "I'm lucky to have worked with him."

Eventually, Beauchamp returned to school, but not to the football field where he gained over 800 yards and scored eight touchdowns last season.

Yet, Beauchamp attended every summer workout and once school began was at every weight-lifting session and usually found his way to the field for practice.

"When I first got into rehab, the first thing that got into my head was whether I could play football," he said. "I told all the nurses and doctors I would do anything to play, but they said it looked like I couldn't."

Crouch spent a lot of time speaking with Beauchamp, who would have been his best player, telling him he has his whole life ahead of him.

But when you are a high school football player, your whole life extends from August through November.

Lake Linden was 4-4 entering last week's game against Bill Santilli's sixth-ranked Crystal Falls Forest Park team, and Crouch had an idea he ran by Santilli.

Crouch told Beauchamp he could dress for the final game, and with 5 minutes left and Crystal Falls leading, 38-0, Crouch called a time-out and gave a thumbs-up across the field to Santilli.

Cheers broke out when Crouch told the players what was about to happen. Then he called for Beauchamp and told him to go out and run "Power at 4."

Beauchamp ran onto the field, took a handoff and sprinted 35 yards into the end zone for a touchdown on his only carry of the season.

That was pretty cool, but what happened next was better.

As he was being mobbed by his teammates, the Crystal Falls players raced to the end zone and shook Beauchamp's hand and hugged him.

"I thought it was a great thing Andy called me about," Santilli said. "When I walked off the field, I had so many Lake Linden people, including Brett's dad, come up to me. They had tears in their eyes, and they gave me a hug and thanked me for letting it happen."

Beauchamp was overcome by emotion and forever will be grateful to two terrific coaches and all of the wonderful players who made it possible.

"It was amazing; it felt like I was a junior again," he said. "When I got into the locker room, it hit me. I was tearing up. I was happy I was able to get on the field one more time."

The state playoffs begin tonight, and before any player takes the field he should think about Beauchamp and realize nothing in life is guaranteed.
Remembering all veterans, especially those 99 on eternal patrol aboard the USS Scorpion SSN-589.
Amasaman
All UP

Re: Lake Linden's Brett Beauchamp gets the run of his life

Postby upfootball » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:05 pm

A lot of tear jerker articles lately.... Just exceptional all the way around. Makes you proud to be from up here surrounded by such fabulous people.
upfootball
Founder

Return to Media Articles