Pop Warner Lawsuit

Post articles from online media sources here. This is a good place to cut and paste article's from online newspapers. Make sure you read the rules for this.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Pop Warner Lawsuit

Postby yooper power » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:39 pm

I was not sure if I should post this, as this could get crazy as far as the comments are posted.
http://yahoo.thepostgame.com/blog/daily ... e-findings
Yooper playoff motto when playing the trolls:"You Take On One Yooper Team You Got Us All"
"2630 Never to be broken"
yooper power
All UP

Re: Pop Warner Lawsuit

Postby upfootball » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:28 pm

That's sad. Not sure why they are targeting Pop Warner specifically... Not a huge fan of Pop Warner, but not sure how this is more their fault than anyone elses.

Anyway you look at it this specific case rips at your heart a bit.
upfootball
Founder

Postby yooper power » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:48 pm

I also wondered if it is going to stop there, what is next the MHSAA and Forest Park probably depends what happens here. just a thought.
Yooper playoff motto when playing the trolls:"You Take On One Yooper Team You Got Us All"
yooper power
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:12 pm

I would have to agree with many of the comments in the article. I feel bad for the family and sorry for their loss. No parent should ever lose a child. As we become more knowledgeable and the equipment gets better and better, we tend to forget the training, equipment and policies in place were usually the best we had at that time.

I'd have to say at the youth level Pop Warner is much more safer and regulated than let's say- these middle school youth football programs. Pop Warner usually had the newer equipment, conditioning requirements and more important IMO-age and weight requirements/limits. I'm more terrified of the middle school programs which are less regulated and the weight, ages and physical development of the players can be so broad there is a higher risk.

It just seems strange to me they go after Pop Warner out of everything he did afterwards. So they allowed him to participate and they weren't aware of any possible risk? Really?
Hueby
All UP

Postby 01Trojan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:52 am

The family is doing this to raise awareness. This is the direction that they were told to go to get the word out. I fully support the Chernach family...Joseph was a great kid who's life ended much too early.
01Trojan
Yooper Freak

Postby Hueby » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:17 pm

When I first read the link using my smart phone,at that moment I quickly glanced at my smaller view photo of him. The article also mentioned he wrestled & I didn't think Forest Park ever had a wrestling program so I didn't make the connection at the time that all this was happening up there (At first I thought the above post on MHSAA & Forest Park comments were about preventative measures for the future).

Yes, I get it now. Even though I'm sure waivers were signed and there possibly isn't much chance in winning the case, bringing all this to everybody's attention is part of the objective. I have found this article on several different websites. Some are more detailed than others. I never knew Pop Warner ran all the way up through 8th grade. This is because historically middle school tackle football started at 7th grade. Plus I remember learning up in Marquette County they did away with Pop Warner because Pop Warner was "too restrictive." One example was Pop Warner apparently had travel restrictions. Age and weight may have been another. I know down here some non-high school sanctioned youth feeder programs have started their own 6th & even 5th grade programs-pulling kids away from Pop Warner.

I know the previous old head coach at our high school down here didn't believe in any tackle football until 9th grade. I know he wanted to see the kids play flag football through middle school. But I can tell you the kids all want to play tackle football.

Again, sorry for their loss. Here is a link with a Pop Warner response and a copy of the lawsuit:

http://www.wpr.org/wisconsin-woman-file ... ns-suicide
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hambone » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:10 pm

I've held off on making comments about this, but I question how Pop Warner is held more responsible than the HS for which he played and wrestled for. Is it because his father was on the coaching staff for both? I know the young man's father, he is a class act, the chances are this young man was more likely to be injured at the upper levels of FB than Pop Warner. Indeed a tragedy.
Hambone

Postby yooper power » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:26 pm

I have to think we are going to see a lot more of this in the years to come at the National level, the high schools will be the next ones that are targeted, the Pros and Colleges have already taken the hits. Also the Chernach family was worried about the negative backlash that could come out of this, like people saying they are in it for the money.
yooper power
All UP

Postby B49615 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:07 pm

Would be interesting to know who suggested they sue Pop Warner. A money hungry lawyer? A Docter who wants contact sports stopped? Whole thing is very sad, if Pop Warner had warned him at age 8 would he have never played, wrestled, pole vaulted, skied, snowmobiled or other things kids do?
"You play to win the game"
B49615
Yooper Freak

Postby longball » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:08 pm

Thanks for bringing it to our attention that football is a contact sport and you may get hurt or yes, possibly die. Everything in life comes with a consequence. It's too bad this country has turned into a litigation free for all.
longball
UP Football Guru

Postby Hueby » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:40 am

Update:

In today's Green Bay Press Gazette they ran a small article about this topic.

All it read was a settlement was reached but neither the Pop Warner Organization spokesman, the mother sueing or her attorney are not replying/commenting on what was reached.

From Insurancejournal.com. March 9, 2016:

"...According to the New York Post, the case was settled for less than $2 million. Pop Warner reportedly had carried $2 million in liability insurance on its players in Wisconsin through Lexington.

The Post reported that the organization now carries $1 million in liability coverage per player with K&K Insurance Group, and that individual chapters have the option to purchase an added $1 million per player."
Hueby
All UP

Return to Media Articles