Open Mic - Lack of UPFOOTBALL covering things

I will make announcements at this board. This is also the place to post any problems you may have or to suggest anything you would like to see added to the site.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Open Mic - Lack of UPFOOTBALL covering things

Postby upfootball » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:14 pm

Lets just get this in the open. It has been brought up on social media about this site (me in particular) "letting this site go into the ground" on a few different platforms over the last two years.

First things first. This site was built as a resource. There was no place to get historical data for UP football 20 years ago. So I created it. Went to the library, did the microfilm thing for hours. Learned how to create a simple web page by teaching myself basic HTML and writing pages in Notepad. Why? Because I loved UP football that much. That is it. It was not for money and it was not because I have any journalism aspirations what-so-ever. I have a job. I like what I do. It doesn't involve writing. This was always just a hobby.

The next year I installed a free message board, some really cool people joined and networking began. Fascinating stories were told, shared. Over the years the board and the site became a lot of fun. People would be at each others throats all season and then bam... playoffs start and everyone is like brothers. That is extremely unique to the UP. It's truly a brotherhood. We fight, but if you want to fight my brother you fight me too. I've never seen anything like it anywhere else I have ever been and I have literally watched thousands of HS football games (film included) all over the Midwest.

So that brings us to last year. Last year part of the UP formed a conference and completely closed it from the other 5 schools play eleven man. Rivalries ended. Interesting matchups ended. UP brotherhood ended. Lets also be clear, adults chose this, not the kids who play this game. I am not going to get into the why's that it happened. It did and it diminished my passion for this. Over the last 25 years I have seen no less than 3 games a week (including underclassmen games). Watched who knows how much film. Last year? I seen maybe one game a week. This year? Through 5 weeks I have seen a grand total of 2 games. My passion is gone. It's not the teams, its not the players... the closed conferences bore me to death. It's not what made UP football special. For some it is different. And I keep the board open for them and generally keep my negativity of how I feel about it out of it. Kids don't deserve that. With participation way way down, I think the world of the kids who still play this game. I dropped doing predictions because of this. If you're not passionate about something do not do it.

So I hope this can clear up the current state of affairs here. I am not closing this site. I just dont do as much anymore even though I have always been the only one who updates it. Sometimes updates will be slow. This weekend I went with my son and watched Michigan play in the Big House and the Detroit Lions play the Kansas City Chiefs at Ford Field. So updates were slow. Don't take it personal. I was just out doing this thing called life. Things I enjoy and can be passionate about.

If my passion for the UP game of football returns... so could my off the hip predictions. What made them fun for me and for others is the passion some of the predictions had in them. Don't take it personally I am not doing them now as I do respect the heck out of the kids who play this game when so many others just dont. The current setup just isn't for me at the moment. It would be a mistake for me to do them.

Any questions, comments... feel free to fire away. I will answer all when I can. DM me if you would rather do it in private.
upfootball
Founder

Re: Open Mic - Lack of UPFOOTBALL covering things

Postby yoopernib2 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:57 pm

Thanks for clearing the air, I was wondering what was up. I understand your current dislike for the WestPac and their closed conference. But as you know things are changing next year with the new strength of schedule playoff I think things will change with time. With less and less 11 man in the UP there will be one super conference in the UP, again with time. Then hopefully your passion for UP football will return.
yoopernib2
UP Football Guru

Postby upfootball » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:23 pm

I really hope so yoopernib2. There is a very empty feeling for me this time of the year right now, I go to some games and it's just not there... I would love for something to really change it back to how I once felt about it. Whatever that is.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Up Football Fan » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:43 pm

My hope is that you are able to keep this website going..............truly..

For folks that do use this site, it's no secret that I still have passion for high school sports, and not just football, but all sports. Football has always been my No. 1 love, ever since high school. I'm in my late 50's now and I follow high school football as much now as ever, including Wisconsin (I lived in and near Milwaukee for 15 years). I also have lived near Detroit for 2 years, in Grand Rapids for 3 years, Lansing area for 4 years and also in Marquette, Mt. Pleasant, Alma and Holland....................so I have seen and know high school football from all parts of the state.

I'm not sure what I would have been doing had this site now come to my attention. THANK GOODNESS I was informed about this site.
Support your local school district.
Up Football Fan

Postby CopperCountryYoop » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:31 pm

I just noticed your thread on this topic. I was wondering a this season and part of last why this website seemed to be getting less information on the games and teams. I looked forward to reading about what is going on with Upper Peninsula Football almost on a daily basis. I had to get my UP Football fix.
I hope your passion comes back sometime in the future. I hope you will keep up and update the records on the teams that are playing. We up here are losing a lot of teams to the 8 man game and I hope somehow in the future it trends the other way. I agree about the too large WestPac Conference and all their decision making. Hope that changes in the near future. The
CopperCountryYoop
Yooper Freak

Postby upfootball » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:47 pm

I appreciate that CopperCountryYoop. I'm holding hope things bounce back.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Eagle Backer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:54 am

I hope that the forum continues. Even with today's social media there isn't anywhere else to get all the information both historical and current anywhere else. There use to be a lot more banter between teams and fans on here that would add content. Some of it was over the top and unhealthy. I remember back in 2009 I had to ban players from posting on here because they got running their mouths on here so much. I think some of that is gone because of all the crossover games, you can't run your mouth without having to back in up in the regular season or playoffs at least. lol

Anyway, I appreciate how much time it takes and hope it continues.
"The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure. These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur." Vince Lombardi
Eagle Backer
All UP

Return to Announcements - Problems - Suggestions