Michigan JV football vs Wisconsin JV football

Dedicated to Upper Peninsula Junior Varsity football. Please post schedules, scores, and records.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Michigan JV football vs Wisconsin JV football

Postby Hambone » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:30 pm

After many years of coaching JV football in both the Great Western and West PAC, now back in Wisconsin, I'm convinced that at the small school level Wisconsin is totally on the right track. We play our JV games on Mondays against the same school our varsity played on Friday/Saturday. It gives our guys a chance to see what kind of offenses/defenses they will play against on Monday. The second benefit is that our kids can suit up and play on Monday and can then suit up and are eligible to play on Friday, in Michigan you can't do that. It gives the kids the chance to part of the excitement of Friday Night Lights and an opportunity to get on the field on special teams to give a lot of two-way players a blow. I've seen far too many Michigan schools have to cancel JV seasons because they have to pull the young guys up just to field a team on Friday/Saturday. Kids quit because they don't want to sit or be tackling dummies for the older guys. Once you lose your JV program, the writing is on the wall...your varsity program will be dead in the water. I understand that geography comes into play in the U.P., but we've traveled 3 hours on a school night to get JV games in.

Thoughts....
Hambone

Re: Michigan JV football vs Wisconsin JV football

Postby upfootball » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:41 pm

I agree. Especially with participation in football dropping like a rock in the last 5 years.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Hueby » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:12 pm

I say "If it works, do it!"

I have always thought highly of the smaller schools throughout Wisconsin (well and the U.P.). In our neck of the woods the Freshmen and JV teams play Mondays (vs school the varsity played on Friday). Many schools do have the JV players suit up, play special teams on the varsity and/or they get into the varsity games a few plays here and there.

Some schools even have the JV and Varsity practice together for warm up and position drills, then they break up.

In recent years some D2 teams have canceled their JV programs for the season due to low numbers. But much of that has to do with other factors.

Have also noticed a drop in area participation since Wisconsin added spring contact days and schools who pushed 7 on 7 in the spring and summer. Specialization and sports not being fun anymore for the kids are other factors IMHO. This is why I always felt smaller schools produce better athletes- they are too small to specialize and produce outstanding multi-sport athletes.
Hueby
All UP

Postby CopperCountryYoop » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:47 pm

Hambone wrote:After many years of coaching JV football in both the Great Western and West PAC, now back in Wisconsin, I'm convinced that at the small school level Wisconsin is totally on the right track. We play our JV games on Mondays against the same school our varsity played on Friday/Saturday. It gives our guys a chance to see what kind of offenses/defenses they will play against on Monday. The second benefit is that our kids can suit up and play on Monday and can then suit up and are eligible to play on Friday, in Michigan you can't do that. It gives the kids the chance to part of the excitement of Friday Night Lights and an opportunity to get on the field on special teams to give a lot of two-way players a blow. I've seen far too many Michigan schools have to cancel JV seasons because they have to pull the young guys up just to field a team on Friday/Saturday. Kids quit because they don't want to sit or be tackling dummies for the older guys. Once you lose your JV program, the writing is on the wall...your varsity program will be dead in the water. I understand that geography comes into play in the U.P., but we've traveled 3 hours on a school night to get JV games in.

Thoughts....

Maybe Michigan will catch on to this. It makes a lot of sense. Very good idea.
CopperCountryYoop
Yooper Freak

Return to JV Football