2016 8-Man Watch

Board dedicated for trying to figure out who might be where.

Moderator: Moderator Group

2016 8-Man Watch

Postby Up Football Fan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:38 pm

Below is the listing for the Top 25 8-Man teams as per their playoff point averages (after week 8)....also including their week 9 opponent.

Remember, only the Top 16 teams with the highest playoff point averages make the 8-Man playoffs (not the 6 wins and you are in like the 11-man teams)

Assume the teams opponents are Class D unless noted.

BLUE means the team won..........RED means the team lost.


1. Deckerville...................................8-0.............64.429.......................Open Date
2. Wyoming Tri-Unity Christian...............8-0.............60.000.......................at Covert (1-6)......................................WON 72-0
3. Portland St. Patrick.........................8-0..............59.143......................at Morrice (4-4).....................................WON 36-8
4. Engadine......................................8-0.............59.000........................Posen (4-4).........................................WON 50-14
5. North Central................................8-0..............58.476.......................at Stephenson (7-1)................................WON 68-32
6. New Haven Merritt Academy...............8-0..............57.000.......................at International Academy of Flint (6-2).........WON 24-12
7. Lawrence.....................................7-1..............50.685.......................at Battle Creek St. Philip (5-3)
8. Forest Park...................................7-1...............50.018......................at Cedarville (6-2)..................................WON 76-32
9. Owendale-Gagetown........................7-1..............47.875.......................Carsonville-Port Sanilac (1-7)....................WON 60-8
9. Pickford.......................................7-1..............47.875.......................Rudyard (C) (5-3).................................WON 52-20
11. Stephenson...................................7-1..............47.337.......................North Central (8-0)...............................LOST 32-68
12. Webberville..................................6-2..............44.375.......................at Burr Oak (3-5)..................................WON 54-8
13. Cedarville....................................6-2..............42.625.......................Forest Park (7-1)..................................LOST 32-76
14. International Academy of Flint...........6-2...............39.625.......................New Haven Merritt Academy (8-0).............LOST 12-24
15. Fife Lake Forest Area......................6-2...............38.893.......................Michigan School for the Deaf (3-4).............WON by Forfeit
16. Camden-Frontier............................5-1...............37.845......................at Waldron (4-4)..................................WON 44-18
17. Battle Creek St. Philip......................5-3...............37.595......................Lawrence (7-1)
18. Peck..........................................5-3...............37.107......................Dryden (C) (5-3)..................................LOST 22-50
19. Rapid River..................................5-3...............36.518.......................at Ewen-Trout Creek (1-7).......................WON 64-14
20. Tekonsha.....................................5-3...............35.000......................Litchfield (0-8)......................................WON by Forfeit
21. Morrice.......................................4-4...............32.536......................Portland St. Patrick (8-0).......................LOST 8-36
22. Marion........................................4-4...............26.500......................at Brethren (2-6)
23. Posen.........................................4-4................25.679.....................at Engadine (8-0)................................LOST 14-50
24. Hale..........................................4-4................25.250.....................Caseville (2-6)
25. Waldron......................................4-4................24.500.....................Camden-Frontier (5-1)..........................LOST 18-44
Support your local school district.
User avatar
Up Football Fan
Moderator
 
Posts: 5850
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:45 pm
Location: Crystal Falls, MI

Re: 8-Man Playoff Watch

Postby updesign » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:18 am

Pretty bad When Rapid River Beat Webberville on the Road and they might not make the Playoff's. And a chance that Cedarville would have to beat Crystal Falls to assure a playoff Spot may not make it. Both these UP teams would beat many of the Lower Michigan teams that will make the Playoffs.

Looking like it is going to be North Central, Engadine, Crystal Falls and Stephenson in Region #1. Pretty Tough Region if it ends up being that. If North Central Wins this week against Stephenson it would be North Central hosting Stephenson in round #1 (Playing each other back to back like last year) and Engadine Hosting Crystal Falls.
updesign
UP Football Guru
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:18 am

Re: 8-Man Playoff Watch

Postby upfootball » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:23 am

The MHSAA blundered something terrible this year not expanding the playoffs for the 8 man game. The MHSAA is a lazy leaderless organization.

I completely agree with you updesign.

Camden-Frontier looks like they may be rewarded for one of the most unchallenging out of conference schedules I have ever seen.
User avatar
upfootball
Founder
 
Posts: 9859
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 8-Man Playoff Watch

Postby Up Football Fan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:00 am

for Rapid River folks, the Rockets CAN still make the playoffs IF these 3 things happen:

1. New Haven Merritt Academy (8-0) beats International Academy of Flint (6-2).....Merritt already beat I.A.F. in week 2 28-18.
2. Dryden (5-3) beats Peck (5-3)............I'd say this game is a toss up
3. Lawrence (7-1) beats Battle Creek St. Philip (5-3).........I'd say that Lawrence is the big favorite here..
Support your local school district.
User avatar
Up Football Fan
Moderator
 
Posts: 5850
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:45 pm
Location: Crystal Falls, MI

Re: 8-Man Playoff Watch

Postby updesign » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:52 am

Up Football Fan wrote:for Rapid River folks, the Rockets CAN still make the playoffs IF these 3 things happen:

1. New Haven Merritt Academy (8-0) beats International Academy of Flint (6-2).....Merritt already beat I.A.F. in week 2 28-18.
2. Dryden (5-3) beats Peck (5-3)............I'd say this game is a toss up
3. Lawrence (7-1) beats Battle Creek St. Philip (5-3).........I'd say that Lawrence is the big favorite here..



Good, I hope all (3) happen so Rapid RIver Makes the Playoffs, they deserve it as they lost to 3 very good teams.
updesign
UP Football Guru
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:18 am

Re: 2016 8-Man Playoff Watch

Postby Eagle Backer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:38 pm

If rapid did make it, would that would Engadine to #1 seed in region 2?
"The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure. These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur." Vince Lombardi
User avatar
Eagle Backer
All UP
 
Posts: 1140
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:03 pm
Location: Engadine

Re: 2016 8-Man Playoff Watch

Postby updesign » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:49 pm

Eagle Backer wrote:If rapid did make it, would that would Engadine to #1 seed in region 2?


Yes if Rapid River gets in, Engadine Would be the #1 seed in Region #2

If Rapid River does not make it, Engadine would move over with North Central, Crsytal Falls and Stephenson in region #1.

Currently Engadine has a small point lead over North Central to be #1 seed, but if both teams win this Friday, North Central would pass Engadine in Playoff Points making North Central #1, Engadine #2, CF #3 and Stephenson #4 seed in region #1.

If both teams win and Rapid gets in, North Central will be #1, CF Will be #2, Stephenson will be #3 and Rapid River would be #4 in Region #1 and Engadine would be #1 in Region #2 most likely Hosting Cedarville.
updesign
UP Football Guru
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:18 am

Re: 8-Man Playoff Watch

Postby ftballfan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:09 pm

upfootball wrote:The MHSAA blundered something terrible this year not expanding the playoffs for the 8 man game. The MHSAA is a lazy leaderless organization.

I completely agree with you updesign.

Camden-Frontier looks like they may be rewarded for one of the most unchallenging out of conference schedules I have ever seen.


C-F likely made the decision to switch to 8-man quite late in the game (after the Southern Michigan 8-Man conference had already made their schedule) so they were forced to schedule Open Door Christian (who lost to Covert!) twice, Flint School for the Deaf (which is actually having their best season since they restarted football in 2009), and Pellston (which would possibly be an underdog to Brimley's JV team). At least they were able to get games with St. Philip and Lawrence.

A Lawrence victory over BCSP would help Rapid River at the expense of Camden-Frontier, as C-F beat BCSP but lost to Lawrence. A Waldron win over C-F (rivalry game) will increase the odds of RR getting in the playoffs.
ftballfan
UP Football Guru
 
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: 2016 8-Man Playoff Watch

Postby upfootball » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:33 pm

I don't mean to blame C-F. My intention was to take a shot at the MHSAA for their complete lack of integrity.
User avatar
upfootball
Founder
 
Posts: 9859
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 2016 8-Man Watch

Postby 1stFP#15 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:28 pm

Why is it, when you write about North Central, you don't write Powers ??? But when people write about Forest Park, they call them Crystal Falls ??? IT IS NOT CRYSTAL FALLS !!!
The school districts of Amasa, Alpha & Crystal Falls consolidated in 1967-68 and formed a new school district and named it Forest Park. We have Superior Central, West Iron County,
North Dickinson and many more schools that have consolidated and people call them by their right name. The people in the UP should know this by now. We are Forest Park, and proud of it !!
1stFP#15
All UP
 
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:07 pm

Re: 2016 8-Man Watch

Postby Up Football Fan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:47 pm

1stFP#15 wrote:Why is it, when you write about North Central, you don't write Powers ??? But when people write about Forest Park, they call them Crystal Falls ??? IT IS NOT CRYSTAL FALLS !!!
The school of Amasa, Alpha & Crystal Falls consolidated in 1967-68 and formed a new school district and named it Forest Park. We have Superior Central, West Iron County,
North Dickinson and many more schools that have consolidated and people call them by their right name. The people in the UP should know this by now. We are Forest Park, and proud of it !!



I've posted about this for ever on here...............I can't understand it either............it's just folks that are uneducated and uncaring.....the Media in the Eastern U.P. is the worst when it comes to this.

You don't hear folks refer to current schools as:

Powers-Spaulding or Hermansville.......(North Central)
Felch or Channing.........................(North Dickinson)
Rock or Perkins............................(Mid-Peninsula)
Eben or Trenary............................(Superior Central)
Champion or National Mine...............(Westwood)
Nahma or Cooks............................(Big Bay de Noc)
Iron River or Stambaugh..................(West Iron County)
Support your local school district.
User avatar
Up Football Fan
Moderator
 
Posts: 5850
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:45 pm
Location: Crystal Falls, MI

Re: 2016 8-Man Watch

Postby Hueby » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:26 pm

Up Football Fan wrote:
1stFP#15 wrote:Why is it, when you write about North Central, you don't write Powers ??? But when people write about Forest Park, they call them Crystal Falls ??? IT IS NOT CRYSTAL FALLS !!!
The school of Amasa, Alpha & Crystal Falls consolidated in 1967-68 and formed a new school district and named it Forest Park. We have Superior Central, West Iron County,
North Dickinson and many more schools that have consolidated and people call them by their right name. The people in the UP should know this by now. We are Forest Park, and proud of it !!



I've posted about this for ever on here...............I can't understand it either............it's just folks that are uneducated and uncaring.....the Media in the Eastern U.P. is the worst when it comes to this.

You don't hear folks refer to current schools as:

Powers-Spaulding or Hermansville.......(North Central)
Felch or Channing.........................(North Dickinson)
Rock or Perkins............................(Mid-Peninsula)
Eben or Trenary............................(Superior Central)
Champion or National Mine...............(Westwood)
Nahma or Cooks............................(Big Bay de Noc)
Iron River or Stambaugh..................(West Iron County)


Yes I remember that brought up here in the past...you guys are "Forest Park"

If I can ask you guys a question, I can see where many of those consolidated schools got their names(the "North Central" portion of the U.P., The "Northern" portion of Dickinson County, the "North" portion of Escanaba- wait that was trash talk scratch that one, ha ha etc), but where did "Forest Park" come from? Was "East Iron County" an option like "West Iron County?"

I've also read Westwood as "West Ishpeming" too. Don't mean to sway off topic but since it was brought up just curious. Honestly I've never stopped in the area besides Church Camp at Crystal Falls long ago so hope it's not a dumb question.
Hueby
All UP
 
Posts: 2574
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:28 pm
Location: Green Bay, WI

Re: 2016 8-Man Watch

Postby Up Football Fan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:32 pm

Forest Park was the name of the main Elementary School when there was a Crystal Falls School District.........


All 3 School Boards back in 1967 had to agree to a name of the new school district...........and Forest Park was chosen at that time.
Support your local school district.
User avatar
Up Football Fan
Moderator
 
Posts: 5850
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:45 pm
Location: Crystal Falls, MI

Re: 2016 8-Man Watch

Postby Hueby » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:10 pm

Up Football Fan wrote:Forest Park was the name of the main Elementary School when there was a Crystal Falls School District.........


All 3 School Boards back in 1967 had to agree to a name of the new school district...........and Forest Park was chosen at that time.



Got it Thanks. Interesting...you are right about the media they used CFFP for many years- that's what I remember the school being called in the news. Even looking back researching history. Quite a few Yoopers from Iron County living around here in Green Bay. I enjoy hearing their stories especially "back when the mines were booming."

Hope the playoffs go well up there! Sounds like Wisconsin will have some more 8-man teams forming!
Hueby
All UP
 
Posts: 2574
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:28 pm
Location: Green Bay, WI

Re: 2016 8-Man Watch

Postby Trapman33 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:28 am

It is not the media, it is the MHSAA. They list the town in which the school is located in, and then the school in their directory. Thus, Crystal Falls--Forest Park. Rock--Mid Penninsula, etc.
Trapman33
UP Fan
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:12 am

Re: 2016 8-Man Watch

Postby Hambone » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:24 am

We get that but what's up with Iron Mountain-North Dickinson? Makes zero sense....
User avatar
Hambone
Moderator
 
Posts: 3631
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2002 2:51 pm

Re: 2016 8-Man Watch

Postby CopperCountryYoop » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:14 pm

Hambone wrote:We get that but what's up with Iron Mountain-North Dickinson? Makes zero sense....

MHSAA uses Felch-North Dickinson when referring to the Nordics on their website.

I don't know what the big deal is in naming of some of the school districts for sports purposes.
I have never heard for instance, Calumet Copper Kings referred as the CLK Copper Kings even though students from Calumet, Laurium, and most of Keweenaw County go to that district. :roll:
CopperCountryYoop
Yooper Freak
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:20 am

Re: 2016 8-Man Watch

Postby Up Football Fan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:39 am

Trapman33 wrote:It is not the media, it is the MHSAA. They list the town in which the school is located in, and then the school in their directory. Thus, Crystal Falls--Forest Park. Rock--Mid Penninsula, etc.



that's for MHSAA purposes only............

but the Media in the U.P. need not use the "Crystal Falls" part of it...................everyone knows in the U.P. that Forest Park High School is located in Crystal Falls............

the point is that that the name of the high school is NOT Crystal Falls...........it is Forest Park................only idiots that refuse to acknowledge this are the ones that piss off the folks that live in the Forest Park school district.....especially those folks living in Alpha, Amasa and Mansfield Township.
Support your local school district.
User avatar
Up Football Fan
Moderator
 
Posts: 5850
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:45 pm
Location: Crystal Falls, MI


Return to Playoff Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests