Who is the best kicker ever in the u.p.?

Looking for all the information I can for this site. If you have some information you think others would enjoy, please post it.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Postby GladMan » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:05 am

PAT/Field Goals-Tony Cscmarich from Ontonagon

Punt/Kickoff-Salani from Hancock.
The Dude abides.

Consecutive Wins, Regular Season only, No Ties
81 - Hudson, (1968 - 1977)
80 - Montrose, (1988 - 1997)
51 - Ontonagon, (1988 - 1994)
GladMan
All UP

Postby Pigpen » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:21 pm

eskyfootball95 wrote:What about Tesio from Marquette?

I always thought Clemenza would be the one to betray the family. Not Tesio.

Then again it was the smart move.
Pigpen
All UP

Postby MichState45 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:26 pm

eskyfootball95 wrote:What about Tesio from Marquette?

Tiseo was a good kicker. Played varsity soccer, football, and cross-country his senior year during the fall (which is darn near impossible but he somehow pulled it off). I probably wouldn't rank him that high on the list though. He didn't have too many field goals in games, which is the stat that most people use to determine who is the best.
MichState45
All UP

Re: Who is the best kicker ever in the u.p.?

Postby football09 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:17 pm

how can noone even think of josh kolbas? all up dream team.. got offers from MSU, Minnisota, and U of M. didnt have the grades.. and didnt do welll in the classroom in college. even before jarvy had the stroke josh was kickin w/ him and easily out kickin him.. plus jarvy used a 4 step (more likely to get blocked) josh used a soccar style 3 (much less likely blocked..) Josh was more accurate and had a stronger leg.. i saw him make a field goal from 60 in practice while in college.
Give 150% at all time or dont give any at all
football09
Yooper Freak

Postby Soldier in Iraq » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:19 am

plus jarvy used a 4 step (more likely to get blocked)

I don't recall him ever using a '4step' kick.
No one is more professional than I.....
Soldier in Iraq
UP Football Guru

Re: Another Forest Park kicker..

Postby All-U.P.DreamTeam'86 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:47 pm

Up Football Fan wrote:Not many remember this kicker from 1984 State runnerup team for Forest Park. He was Vesa Loikas (transfer from Finland). Converted from a very good soccer player. He played 2 years on the varsity. He made 44 of 48 PAT's in 1984 (only misses attributed to bad snaps from center) He made 9 of 13 field goals that year. He latter tried out for Texas Tech Univ (redshirt first year) under coach Sparky Woods (for those of you who know College Football names).

He left the team in his second year and went back to Finland to continue his college.:D

Digging up old threads, nothing better to do during halftime....

Vesa actually kicked for the 1986 Forest Park team. He only played the 1 year as he was a foreign exchange student from Finland. I remember the first day of practice, he had never kicked a football before (American that is). Started splitting the uprights from the get go. Big leg, dead accurate. Exchanged emails with him this summer and he is back in Finland. Great guy. Don't remember if his misses were results of bad snaps or not, but I'm sure that's what he would say. :)
Go Trojans!!!
All-U.P.DreamTeam'86
All UP

Postby blast61 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:49 pm

Jarvi is still kicking for the Arctic Blast
blast61
Yooper Freak

Postby jarvi01 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:20 pm

football09 wrote:how can noone even think of josh kolbas? all up dream team.. got offers from MSU, Minnisota, and U of M. didnt have the grades.. and didnt do welll in the classroom in college. even before jarvy had the stroke josh was kickin w/ him and easily out kickin him.. plus jarvy used a 4 step (more likely to get blocked) josh used a soccar style 3 (much less likely blocked..) Josh was more accurate and had a stronger leg.. i saw him make a field goal from 60 in practice while in college.

I don't know where you get your information from but before i had a stroke, i was constistantly kicking 50 yd kicks. I don't recall anyone out kicking me up here. I have never heard of a 4 step kick, complete lie. I use a 3 step approach, still do today. And really the only time he could "out kick" me was the summer after i had the stroke, i will never be able to do what i did before that. I'm really lucky that i can still play and though my range is only around the low 40's if that. And for the best kicker? Let the stats do the talking, I believe i'm the only one as a kicker not punter to make it to the State All Star game.
jarvi01
UP Fan

Postby Magicbob10 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:46 am

Up Football Fan wrote:Not many remember this kicker from 1984 State runnerup team for Forest Park. He was Vesa Loikas (transfer from Finland). Converted from a very good soccer player. He played 2 years on the varsity. He made 44 of 48 PAT's in 1984 (only misses attributed to bad snaps from center) He made 9 of 13 field goals that year. He latter tried out for Texas Tech Univ (redshirt first year) under coach Sparky Woods (for those of you who know College Football names).

He left the team in his second year and went back to Finland to continue his college.:D

I agree with you UP Football Fan for the most part. I was 7 years old at that time. Some crazy reason I remember this guy. He was so good that I remember him. I would say we need to have some guidelines what person can be consider the best kicker. I know Vesa only played for two seasons. If we put all the kickers first two season stats together. I know Vesa would be in the top 3. We will never know what he could of done if he had four high school football seasons. What do you think of a person can kick field goals and extra points with ease but is really bad at kick offs/punts? What about a guy who is great on kick offs/punts, average on extra points, and bad at field goals? I saw this one kicker who was great on kick offs and punts. It made me say wow. It made me think how can you have great return when the ball is coming down at the 1 yard line and back in the end zone very constantly. I never saw this guy kick a field goal but just seeing kick offs and punts made me say NFL for this kid some day. What we need to do is put a guidelines. Example stats overall for 3-4 seasons.Do we require the person to do kick offs, punts, field goals, and extra points to be consider the best? What happens if the guy only does kick offs, field goals, and extra points great but is bad on punting? Another person comes in to punt. Do we consider that person a bad kicker because they are only good at three of the four? If i had to choose the kicker with the most talent and sucess that I saw. I would choose Vesa. Now if we choose by overall full high school football careers (3-4 seasons). I would put Levi Jarvi up there in considering the best.
Magicbob10
All UP

Postby Magicbob10 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:09 pm

I should clarify one statement. I said about seeing one great kicker doing kick offs/punts but never saw a field goal from him. I was not talking about Vesa for Forest Park. I meant from a opponent.
Magicbob10
All UP

Postby Magicbob10 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:18 pm

All-U.P.DreamTeam'86 wrote:

Digging up old threads, nothing better to do during halftime....

Vesa actually kicked for the 1986 Forest Park team. He only played the 1 year as he was a foreign exchange student from Finland. I remember the first day of practice, he had never kicked a football before (American that is). Started splitting the uprights from the get go. Big leg, dead accurate. Exchanged emails with him this summer and he is back in Finland. Great guy. Don't remember if his misses were results of bad snaps or not, but I'm sure that's what he would say. :)

Your right. Exchange students are here for only one year. The brain makes mistakes when you get older :lol: . I would now not say he was the best for just playing one year. I would keep my statement that he was the most talented and sucessfull kicker I have ever seen.
Magicbob10
All UP

Postby Magicbob10 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:21 pm

It make sense now why I remember him. I was actually 9 years old at that time.
Magicbob10
All UP

Postby Amasaman » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:24 pm

Vesa posted this on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8szxa0fM4yk
Remembering all veterans, especially those 99 on eternal patrol aboard the USS Scorpion SSN-589.
Amasaman
All UP

Postby redbull » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:50 am

I just did some research and it looks as Marquette had a placekicker who went to the D1 level, but only played spring ball at CMU. His name was Max Bednarek. I'm not sure he made the team. If so, he'd be the second true placekicker to make the D1 level, the first being Bernie Rosendahl of Gwinn in the 90's.

I'd also like to mention that Chris Salani punted at MSU and Chris Givens punted at CMU in the 80's. So officially there are only four kicker/punters in modern history to play at the highest level.
redbull
UP Fan

Previous

Return to Research and History