1922 Menominee High football game

Looking for all the information I can for this site. If you have some information you think others would enjoy, please post it.

Moderator: Moderator Group

1922 Menominee High football game

Postby Hueby » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:52 am

I was at the Brown County library the other day. With about 25 minutes to spare before my next chore, I grabbed a Green Bay Press Gazette microfilm from the year 1922. I made sure I took the months during the "September-October" timeframe. (Football season!) I had nothing really to look for. I just "winged it"- would just look through it and see what I come up with.

Most of the sports articles were of course, involving "East Green Bay high school " and "West Green Bay high school." I came across some of the schedules and game write-ups. These were some of the other teams I recall seeing: Appleton High, Oshkosh, Fond Du Lac, Algoma, Marinette, Kaukauna, and Menominee (MI).

Some notes to share while scrolling through the fall of 1922:

* There were articles about the Green Bay Packers playing Duluth, MN.

* The Yankees Babe Ruth was to serve a 3 game suspension for argueing and fighting with the umpires. It was his 3rd suspension of the season.

* The high school football season started in late September, and ran into mid November. Appears many games were played on Saturdays due to travel reasons. (No lights?)

* There was a lot of semi-pro baseball in Wisconsin.

* There was "Legion football". Teams were from places like Green Bay (nicknamed "The Boosters"), Sheboygan, Racine and Chicago.

* There was a chiropractic school in Palmer, Iowa. This college is still in existance today. They ran an ad in the Press Gazette sports section in 1922 expressing the importance of seeking chiro care for football players.

They didn't tell where in the midwest this happened, but told a story how a football player crashed through the line for a gain. While the players would move off the pile of bodies after the tackle was made, players would "step on him." Apparently this player was injured so badly playing football he was crippled and after a time seeking "treatment" for his spinal injuries, eventually died.

The chiro college ad went on to explain had he seeked chiro care for his spinal injuries, he would have survived.
(Many decades ago before better equipment, football related deaths were common). According to the ad/story, do you guys (and gals) know what the "treatment" was for his spinal injuries?

Not kidding- it was "Fresh eggs and home-cooked, country meals!"

So anyway I did run across an article of a Wisconsin team who played Menominee High. I'd like to share it. It may take a few days for me to get it posted, but meanwhile here's a quiz question that relates to the article:

Question: According to this article, Who was the first team to score on Menominee at Blesch Field?

(I"ll post the answer as I post the article)
Hueby
All UP

Re: 1922 Menominee High football game

Postby Hueby » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:54 am

My apologies, I went back and re-wrote the question to be more accurate:

Q: Who was the first team to score on Menominee at Blesch Field?

The Answer: "The East Green Bay Hilltoppers"

Unfortunately, I didn't research to learn if Menominee had played a game or two prior, or exactly what year Blesch Field opened. It's interesting to me that back then, it was "East Green Bay High" and today "Green Bay East High School." Also the "Red Devils" of today were back then the "Hilltoppers."

Around here in those days it was only East Green Bay and West Green Bay high schools. The Fox River was a huge dividing line/ barrier between the two sides of the city. For decades they had some huge rivalries, great fan support, and unfortunately did have some nasty interaction between the fans.

Then through time growth led to the suburb schools. I wish I could have learned what Menominee's schedule was like back then. Who they played in the U.P. & who in Wisconsin.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:02 am

Anyway here is the article. I think I was able to figure out all the words as some of the articles that were photocopied from years back weren't the greatest. Also in the newspapers the articles were jammed close together.

I'll post a little of the article each day instead of all at once. Hope ya's find this interesting!

source: Green Bay Press Gazette Monday Oct 2, 1922 (Game was played in Menominee Sat Sep 30, 1922)

EAST HIGH DROPS HOTLY CONTESTED FOOTBALL GAME TO MENOMINEE, BY 25 TO 13

Hilltoppers First to Score; Final Rally Threatens to Cut Down Michigan School's Lead in 12 Points

East Green Bay, fighting every minute of the game and threatening the Menominee goal right up to the final whistle, went down to defeat Saturday at Blesch field, Menominee High. The score was 25-13.

The Hilltoppers outplayed Menominee from the opening whistle through three quarters of the game, but in the final frame the breaks went against them and gave the Michiganders the victory.

East received the kickoff and from then till the whistle ending the half, the big red and white team pounded its way through guard and center and tackle for gain after gain without the use of a single open play. In scoring the first touchdown which came in the first quarter, East, using only straight line bucking, smashing football tore its way for seventy yards to the Menominee goal. Here Hearden carried the ball across for the first ever scored on Menominee at Blesch Field.

Hearden's attempt at a place kick was blocked. East then kicked to Menominee , but soon received the ball on a punt. The quarter ended with East in possession of the ball on the forty yard line. Score: East 6, Menominee 0.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:46 am

Touchdown Not Allowed

In the second quarter East started another slashing drive which covered sixty yards and ended three inches from the goal line. The ball had gone over in Hearden's arms, and referee Sullivan had ruled a touchdown, when umpire Dayton claimed the ball was dead just before the line was reached. Menominee punted out of danger.

East was noticeably weakened by this one hundred and thirty yards of smashing football every inch of which was stubbornly contested; and when Menominee intercepted a pass in midfield the Hilltoppers, though fighting bitterly, were unable to prevent Menominee from pushing over the touchdown. Hlinka kicked the goal and Menominee took the lead. The half ended soon after with East on the offensive in mid field. Score: East 6, Menominee 7.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:36 am

Early in the third quarter Menominee developed a short passing game which East was unable to solve and this placed the ball in position for Phaffl to carry it over for Menominee's second touchdown. Hlinka missed the place kick. East, now seven points in the rear abandoned the exhaustive straight football and resorted to long passes.

Bunker, after mussing up a pass from center picked up the ball and tossed it thirty five yards to Zitemiller who eluded the safety and made East's final score. Score East 13, Menominee 13.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:15 am

Lost In Final Quarter

Menominee won the game in the last quarter by taking advantage of the breaks. Reindal, tackle, intercepted a pass and traveled sixty yards for a score. A few minutes later the same man covered a punt fumbled by a Green Bay back behind the line for the last score of the game. Hlinka missed both goals.

Then with but five minutes to play, and twelve points behind the Red and White put up a battle that Blesch field will remember for many a day. East was playing on Michigan soil, and in the stands was a band playing "On Wisconsin," and a hundred rooters still cheering them on. Several passes brought the ball to the fifteen yard line but one went into the endzone and Menominee punted out from the twenty yard line.

Back came East, slashing, plunging, fighting to the one yard mark, but the reserve backs now in the game could not push the ball over and Menominee again punted out of danger.

East, however, plugged right along, throwing pass after pass, but when the goal was in danger the Menominee defense became impregnable. Reilly missed a drop kick by a foot and the ball was again kicked out. But East returned like a rubber ball and the whistle blew, with the Hilltoppers still threatening the Menominee goal.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:52 am

Band Furnishes Pep

East Green Bay's famous jazz band kept up the spirit of the crowd through every minute of the game and when the contest was over and lost they marched from the field to the tune of "On Wisconsin." It was a great exhibition of school spirit.

The lineups:

East Green Bay (13)

Reilly l.e.
Straubel l.t.
Binnish l.g.
Hansen c.
Enderby r.g.
Adams r.t.
Zitemiller r.e.
Morgan q.b.
Shaw l.h.b.
Bunker r.h.b.
Hearnden (c) f.b.

Menominee (25)

l.e. Erickson
l.t. Reindal
l.g. Gibont
c. Shultz
r.g. Hayward
r.t. Beck
r.e. Marrett (c)
q.b. Phaffl
l.h.b. Hemr
r.h.b. Liebherr
f.b. Hlinka

Referee, Sullivan, Iron River
Umpire, Dayton, Gladstone
Head linesman, Scheinke, Marinette

Score by quarters:
1 2 3 4

East Green Bay.... 6 0 7 0 -- 13
Menominee......... 0 7 6 12 -- 25

Touchdowns- Hearden, Zitemiller, Pffal (2), Reindal (2). Place kick from scrimmage after touchdown--Headen, Hlinka. Penalties--East 30 yards: Menominee 5 yards. Substitutions--Garot for Bunker; Charboneaux for Shaw; Ewig for Reilly; Shecore for Zitemiller; Blahnik for Morgan; Namun for Hearden; Reilly for Ewig; Zitemiller for Shecore.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:11 am

I also searched way back to the first Green Bay Press Gazette papers they had at the library. It was 1915 and I scrolled through the fall sports season. Hoping maybe it would reveal anything to do with U.P. teams.

I did come across Appleton High's football schedule, that did list a game against Menominee (MI). Again, this was probably long before the Appleton high schools slit up to North, East & West. It was a brief article stating how Coach Offinge announced the team's schedule, and near the end of the paragraph stated how the coach "expects a hard season" and "...The men are said to be in tip top shape."

Few points:

* Notice by the dates which games were played Friday & Saturday
* When the season started and finished
* The location of the Appleton/Sheboygan game
* The local college team who played high school teams

The schedule for Appleton High in 1915:

Oct 2- East Green Bay at Green Bay
Oct 9- Fond du Lac at Appleton
Oct 15- Oshkosh at Appleton
Oct 23- West Green Bay at Appleton
Oct 30- St. Norbert College at DePere
Nov 6- Menominee, Mich at Menominee
Nov 13- Sheboygan at Shawano
Nov 20- Antigo at Appleton

There was no article on the Menominee/Appleton game, but did read in the box section Menominee won 13-0. Did run across that Appleton did lose to East Green Bay 21-7. Appleton's score came on an interception that was run down to Green Bay's goal line, which set up the score.
Hueby
All UP

Return to Research and History