Reduced-man football in Michigan

Looking for all the information I can for this site. If you have some information you think others would enjoy, please post it.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Reduced-man football in Michigan

Postby ftballfan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:28 pm

Before the past couple of years, there were some schools that played six- or eight-man football in the 1950s and even into the 1960s. Some of these schools are long gone, while others are now powerhouses.

From what I can find on michigan-football.com, the following schools played six- or eight-man football in the past: Bath, Bellaire, Burr Oak, Byron, Central Lake, Cheboygan St. Mary's, Climax-Scotts, DeWitt, Elk Rapids, Ellsworth, Frederic, Gaines, Inland Lakes, Laingsburg, Mackinaw City, Marcellus, Mendon, Morrice, Schoolcraft, Starr Commonwealth, Tekonsha, and Vanderbilt.
ftballfan
UP Football Guru

Re: Reduced-man football in Michigan

Postby tbsgc2 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:26 pm

I think my dad told me that BRH played 8 man into the 70's, it seems to me like he said they switched to 11 man either right before he got into high school or while he was in high school, so it couldn't have been uncommon up here either. I'm sure there are others on this site who know better than I do from a half remembered (or possibly dreamed up) conversation from years ago.
tbsgc2
All UP

Postby Eagle Backer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:34 am

I was told that when Engadine started football in the late 50's, the whole EUP conf. was less than 11. I believe they played 6 man and then played 8 man before going to 11. I don't know when they finally felided an 11 man team but think they only play less than 11 for a few years.
"The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure. These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur." Vince Lombardi
Eagle Backer
All UP

Postby Eagle Backer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:08 pm

As luck would have it, I just ran into the Engadine football coach from 1960. He said that 1960 was Engadine's first year playing football and it was 8 man. The next year, the EUP went to 11 man but proir to Engadine joining, the EUP had played 6 man. He did not know whne they had changed from 6 to 8 or how long they played that way.
"The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure. These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur." Vince Lombardi
Eagle Backer
All UP

Return to Research and History