Stephensons very 1st football season

Looking for all the information I can for this site. If you have some information you think others would enjoy, please post it.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Stephensons very 1st football season

Postby steve grinsteiner » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:30 pm

Does anybody in the Stephenson area know when the Eagles had their very first football team? I really don't have any idea when it started.
steve grinsteiner
All UP

Re: Stephensons very 1st football season

Postby ecangits » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:18 am

http://michigan-football.com/f/stephson.htm

Check this site out. Great site for the history of Michigan football.
Looks like it is documented as 1956 (6-2)
ecangits
UP Football Guru

Postby steve grinsteiner » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:19 pm

I looked at a 1949 Stephenson high school yearbook and Stephenson football started earlier than that. The michigan-football.com website only has results from 1955 to present. Know where I could get some more info?
steve grinsteiner
All UP

Postby ecangits » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:42 pm

I know when I need information from years gone by, I make the trip to the nearest coffee shop. You can get more information in one
hours from the old timers. They don't forget their football.
ecangits
UP Football Guru

Postby Hueby » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:17 am

steve-

What ecangits posted is very correct. I'd try the WW2 vets as a source & talk to them. Maybe some played. (But better act quick! haha)

I just made a nice weekend trip up to Marquette & was able to spend a little time at the library. I thought I could help and my plan was to research different football seasons to see when Stephenson scores popped up and when then didn't. Then maybe from there narrow down to a year.

Stephenson did have a football team back in 1939, however they did not play 6-7 games like most of the other U.P. schools who had football. When I can dig up my notes I can come back here to tell you who they played. I believe they only played a few games.

Hueby
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:15 am

Steve-

Found my notes. In 1939 Stephenson played at least 3 football games throughout the season.

Here was their season:

Crystal Falls 26, Stephenson 0
St Josephs (Escanaba) 25, Stephenson 0
Stephenson 13, Niagra (WI) 0

I didn’t see any U.P. football scores for the final week. They could have been printed on a later date, not sure. So not sure if Stephenson played a 4th game or not.

Well, with that at least we know Stephenson had a team then. Maybe someone from this era can remember about the time football started there. Otherwise it’ll take scrolling through microfilm. Hope this helps.

Hueby
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:54 am

I believe I found the answer.

Here in Green Bay I had asked this man from Stephenson this question. This past weekend he went home and asked a friend who he says is a "Stephenson historian." He said this man has "Tons of newspaper clippings as he loves Stephenson basketball." Apparently he has a lot of newspaper clippings when his grandfather played too.

This man went into his house, came back out a few minutes later and said

"1923-24 season"

We're pretty sure 1923 was Stephenson's 1st year of football.
Hueby
All UP

Return to Research and History