Old Marquette Info Part 2

Looking for all the information I can for this site. If you have some information you think others would enjoy, please post it.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Re: Old Marquette Info Part 2

Postby Hueby » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:27 am

I’d like to “dedicate” this 1939-40 Graveraet basketball season to all of the past, present and future Redmen “football-basketball” players. I had a lot of fun learning about what basketball was like back then. I also hope the rest of you enjoy it from a U.P. basketball standpoint.

In the ’39-’40 Graveraet tatler there was a standing team photo of the varsity. I believe this was the initial team at the beginning of the season. They were:

Back row: Carter, Rydholm, Frisk (cpt), Culver, Keast (coach)
Front row: Wasmuth, Miluches, Pantalone, Normand, Keskey, Wiitala

Couple other things. Between the yearbooks and Mining Journal write-ups I had different names referencing what is now Northern Michigan University. I had “Northern State Teachers College” and where the U.P.’s were played was “Northern Michigan College of Education Gym.” But we all get the idea.

The ultimate goal back then was to win the U.P.’s in your respective Class. The U.P. teams were classified as Class B, Class C and Class D. In the following 1940-41 tatler they also had Class E. I don’t know the history of Class E or what years they had them.

After the 14-game regular season, the tournament began. You'll notice back then the scores were much lower than today. Anyways certain schools would host the district tournaments. It appears some more than others.

Some schools would host a different Class tournament than the Class their school played in. It was a single elimination tournament. Once all the district champions were crowned, they moved on to the U.P. championships in Marquette. Then that was it for the season.

I just ask the Redmen "football-basketball" people "Don't hate me too bad!" Remember, I picked this season by pure luck trying to answer a Stephenson football question. But hopefully there will be lessons learned & that we'll see that "silver lining around every dark cloud. "Also please AD's and coaches if by any chance any of you read this... don't hate me too much where I might mention "drinking." I'm not promoting this-just sharing history. Back then if you were 18 yrs old you were old enough & they couldn't do anything about it. Things were different back then.

Recently I met a man down here in Green Bay whose father played basketball for Tom Izzo up in Ishpeming. Izzo would complain to another coach "My players are down at the Concord (?) drinking right now!...They're going to run tomorrow!"
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:10 am

Moving on with the Graveraet Redmen 1939-40 Basketball season. One thing I found out was the tatler that year was correct with the “scores” - but wrong with if the games were “won or lost”. The tatler did list the dates of the basketball games, so I scrolled through the Mining Journal and took notes from the dates provided by the yearbook. In most cases the write-ups were published the day after the game.

Graveraet’s uniforms were of the same material everybody else had. That shiny silk material. They wore red or white jerseys with an opposing red or white thick “monotype corsiva” design lettering “Marquette ” across the front.

The capital “M” began down by the right armpit, curved upward towards the neck then the final “e” ending near the left armpit. Then they had the numerals on front and back. Back then the shorts were shorter than worn today. Players wore short socks with high top tennis shoes.

In this short video clip you’ll get the idea of the uniforms back then. There are some other things in the video that are neat reminders. In the Graveraet team photo, Coach Keast wears a suit and tie just like in the coach in this video.

I’ve only been in Graveraet’s school gym once way back when. It was when Bothwell played Graveraet in middle school basketball. I remember the seating, how high up and close it was. In the video you’ll notice a seating section right under one of the baskets. Graveraet had something similar, but it was up high overlooking one side of the court-like a balcony.

If it could work, wouldn’t it be neat to play a “throwback” game at Graveraet? The fans were so close to the game, just like in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wd9XiQowE0

P.S.- Don't you miss these coaches like the one portrayed in this video?
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:54 am

Here is the season. I'll post the Mining Journal headlines (or the score) then some notes I took from the articles:

Dec 2, 1939- “Redmen lose by 4 points in hard game at Munising.”

Lost 28-24 in front of an “enthusiastic Graveraet delegation.”

Dec 9, 1939- “Redmen drop 23-17 scrap to Escanaba.”

Marquette lacked an outstanding leader, such as Escanaba’s Barron, but did put up a good fight all the way against the Deltians.
-Meanwhile the Baraga parochials (Marquette Bishop Baraga) continued victorious as they defeated the Bishop Baraga alumni 30-12. The “Rushton-coached” boys were led by a big player named “Big Bob” Derleth with 11 points and he played stellar defense.

Dec 23, 1939- “Bessemer takes first game from Graveraets, 34-18 on Adams Court.”

The team captain, Jack Frisk scored 16 points. It was a fast-pace game, with referee Rico Zenti calling them close with a 19 foul total.

Meanwhile the Graveraet Bees (B team) defeated Bishop Baraga 21-11.

For the Graveraet basketball players and many of their classmates-after the game it was off to Donkers to socialize. Then later on-for those old enough- they walked over to the Northland Bar near Front St & Washington St to have a few drinks.
Last edited by Hueby on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:48 am

Jan 6, 1939- “Soo beaten by Keast’s boys 22-20.”

Graveraet was led by their “lanky center,” Jack Frisk. Marquette jumped out to a 13-0 lead then held on from there for their first win of the season.

Jan 15, 1939- “Redmen Drop 23-17 Bout to Menominee.”

The “Border City Boys” held a 9-6 lead at the half. The “Keastmen” tied the game 3 times in the 3rd quarter. But in the 4th quarter the Redmen only scored 1 point on a Jack Frisk free throw.

For the Graveraet basketball players and many of their classmates-after the game it was off to Donkers to socialize. Then later on-for those old enough- they walked over to the Northland Bar near Front St & Washington St to have a few drinks.

On the same day there was a Graveraet/Ishpeming game write-up. Ishpeming was coached by C.C. Watson. Their star played was a guy by the last name of Gelmi. Described in the paper as the Hemitites “tall star.” The community was anxious for this match-up between Ishpeming’s “tall star” and Graveraet’s “lanky center.”

But this matchup apparently would not happen, as Gelmi was sick.

Graveraet’s personnel status for the game: Earl Normand and Rodney Wasmuth would be the forwards. Jack Frisk to start at center. Dick Keskey-a sub- was out due to sinus trouble. Keskey would be replaced by Albert Williams, who was a sophomore and played on the B squad. Jack Culver and Herman Pantalone would start at the guard positions.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:58 am

Jan 20, 1939- “Ishpeming doubles score of Graveraets. Reds badly beaten after first half.”

The Gelmi-Frisk matchup did occur after all. Gelmi outscored Frisk 7-3. The same day as this write-up, Graveraet would play another game on consecutive days as they would play Sault Ste Marie. This would be the Redmen’s 3rd home game of the season as they would host the “Lock City Crew.” Ishpeming was described as a “steadily improving basketball machine.”

After this game with Ishpeming, Graveraet was 1-5. I remember Tom Cushing telling me about their team that year “We had to have been the worst team…”

A side note, Palmer lost to National Mine 41-30. Meanwhile the Baraga Parochials defeated Negaunee St. Paul 36-27. Bishop Baraga’s star player, Bob Derleth, led both teams in scoring with 11 points. Bishop Baraga has won 8 of their 9 games.

Jan 22, 1939- “Graveraet Redmen defeat Soo Blue Devils second time this season.”

The visiting Soo came up on a short end of a 25-14 count. “Jumping Jack” Frisk led with 10 points. Graveraet was still missing guard Wilbert Wiitala who was out with a bruised knee.

Meanwhile the Graveraet B team lost to Negaunee’s B team 27-17.

Something to note I will get back to later. On the world stage, Japan was fearing an embargo on U.S. goods. Goods coming from us they relied on were scrap metal and oil. This was needed and they were concerned a possible embargo would stall their big war machine which was involved in fighting China.

Anyways, for the Graveraet basketball players and many of their classmates-after the game it was off to Donkers to socialize. Then later on-for those old enough- they walked over to the Northland Bar near Front St & Washington St to have a few drinks.
Last edited by Hueby on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:53 am

After that win against Sault Ste Marie, the Redmen moved to 2-5 on the season. As mentioned, after the game many of the students and players went to Donkers. Then afterwards some went over to the Northland Bar.

One student out with everybody was a Graveraet senior named Rusty Kiltinin. Rusty was a very thin but excelled in school. Long story short, he left the bar with this attractive older woman. She lived up on Crescent Street.

While at her place, she told Rusty to “go get undressed and wait for her in her bed.” He does this and is fired up with excitement. As he is in bed he hears her approach the door.

She walks in with this little boy! Rusty is thinking “What the?!”

She walks over to Rusty, whips the blanket off him, points to Rusty and tells the little boy “You see Bobby, this is what you’re going to look like someday if you don’t start eating your supper!” Got cha’s! ha ha ha…. hey-it was an old joke. Moving along….

Jan 26, 1939- “Crowd of 1500 expected to see Graveraets play Negaunee cagers.”

Besides the Northern State College Five who were to play at home, at the high school level the Graveraet-Negaunee game would be the only home basketball game this weekend. The John D. Pierce Warriors would be at Newberry, while the Bishop Baraga Parochials would be away playing Gladstone.

The Marquette-Negaunee B teams would play each other first. In addition to this doubleheader, this night would mark the unveiling of the new electronic scoreboard which was installed in the Northwest corner of the gym. (Gym was called “Sidney Adams floor.”)
The Pep Club, under the supervision of Milton Johnson, social studies instructor, worked hard to provide funds for this scoreboard. For the game, Tom Cushing was being moved up from the B squad.

Note: Many MSHS alumni may remember Coach Milton "Mickey" Johnson. He coached Marquette tennis teams for 50 years! According to his U.P. Sports Hall of Fame info, he began coaching in 1940. Apparently Coach Roger Keast was also behind this push for the new scoreboard. Just some of the behind the scenes work Keast was doing to improve the athletic programs at Graveraet during those years.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:33 am

Jan 27, 1940- “Redmen Lose 29-22 Battle to Miners. ‘Booster game crowd jammed nearly every available space.’ "

Negaunee shut down Frisk- he didn’t score one point in the first half. Marquette did outscore the “Shadfordites” 14-11 in the 2nd half. They held the Miners to a single free throw in the 4th quarter, but most of the Marquette shots went wild or caromed off the backboard into the hands of Negaunee guards. In the entire game, Graveraet played 6 players while Negaunee played 5 (very common).

The scoreboard received favorable comments. Also in a highly contested preliminary game, the Negaunee B team defeated the Graveraet B team 18-16.

Here were other U.P. basketball games reported:

Crystal Falls 44, Stambaugh 28
Negaunee 29, Marquette 22
Escanaba 27, Ishpeming 14
Baraga Parochials 27, Gladstone 24
Ontonagon 23, Ewen 15
National Mine 40, Republic 11
Palmer 53, Champion 41
Eben 37, Harris 21
Houghton 37, Dollar Bay 10
L’Anse 38, Calumet 13
Hancock 18, Painesdale 16
Sacred Heart (Laurium) 23, Chassell 18
J.A.Dolle (Tapiola) 13, Ripley 10
Soo 25, Manistique 19
Hermansville 23, Felch 21
Wakefield 40, Lake Linden 21
Rockdale 26, Greenland 25
Baraga 38, Pequaming 21
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:08 am

Feb 1, 1940- “Redmen Play On Newberry Court Tonight”

Newberry had won all but one of their 7 games to date. Coached by Joe De Cook, Newberry had beaten St. Ignac, Munising, Negaunee, Gwinn, Sault Ste Marie and Marquette J.D. Pierce.

Graveraet’s only 2 victories of the season so far were wins over the Soo. Coach Keast was going to experiment with younger players in hopes of finding winning combinations.

Feb 2, 1940- “Redmen Lose to Newberry by 4 Points 35-31.”

Newberry was led by a player named Beach, who scored 17 points. Marquette came back and outscored Newberry in the 4th quarter 12-7, but came up short.

I couldn’t find a game write-up on the next game Graveraet played, which was against Ishpeming. The Redmen would lose this game too. After that second loss to Ishpeming, Graveraet’s record stood at a dismal 2-8.

I also thought back and remembered what Tom Cushing told me. He said something like “We had to have been the worst team…”
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:44 am

I could not find a write-up of the second Ishpeming-Graveraet game. I scrolled through the micro-film MJ sports sections during the Feb 9-12, 1940 time frame but no luck. I would find one sentence mentioning the game in another write-up which this:

"Marquette did a lot better against Ishpeming, losing 16-13 after getting trounced on the Ishpeming floor."

Then for the Graveraet basketball players and many of their classmates-after the game it was off to Donkers to socialize. Then later on-for those old enough- they walked over to the Northland Bar near Front St & Washington St to have a few drinks.

When some of these players were at the Northland Bar after this 3 point loss to Ishpeming, this rope walked into the bar and...

Ok, I know some of you are thinking "Hueby stop! We're not stupid! Ropes can't talk!" But on this cold February evening in 1940 a rope walked into the bar and said "Gimme a beer!" The bartender, Herman Etlamaki says "I'm sorry, but we don't serve ropes!" So the rope leaves.

Rope goes down Washington Street to another bar, walks in and says "Gimme a beer!" Bartender says "I'm sorry, but we don't serve ropes!" So the rope leaves.

Rope goes behind a building, frays one end of itself and ties itself into a knot. Goes back into the Northland Bar and says "Gimme a beer!"

Bartender Herman Etlamaki says "I'm sorry, but we...hey! ...Aren't you the rope that was just in here a little while ago?"

The rope says "Nope! I'm a frayed knot!" :roll:

I know what you're thinking. Redmen football-basketball guys are reading this saying "You dedicate this thread to us? A bad Redmen basketball team having a terrible season, posting about players going to bars after home games and throwing in stupid jokes about skinny guys and talking ropes? .....Bite me!"

Well I warned you I picked this season by pure luck, but isn't it fun to look back on how things were at Graveraet & the sports programs/basketball back then? I'm sure there's a silver lining around every dark cloud! On to next game....
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:47 am

Feb 14, 1940- “Graveraet Still Looking for 3rd Win.”

Here was where I found the info on that Ishpeming game. This article was geared towards the upcoming game against Gladstone as well as some other thoughts and comments. The sports writer became a little more critical:

Coach Roger Keast will be benching some of the starters as others get a chance against Gladstone. Big 6-4 Jack Frisk is still slated to start at center. Jack Culver and Tom Cushing will start at guards. Dick Keskey and either Rodney Wasmuth or Al Williams will be the forwards.

The article mentions J.D. Pierce not having the greatest year either, as they had only won a few games to date. Mentioned their school colors were “Blue and Gold” and did mention in J.D. Pierce’s defense the basketball program mainly played larger Class schools. They were complimented though as “A good tournament team.”

This article also mentions Marquette Bishop Baraga having a very good season, then went on to put in their 2 cents about the Graveraet Redmen. The local sports writer said Graveraet looked good on some occasions, and on others-very bad. Wrote the Redmen can’t seem to make more than one piece of their offense work at once. When their floor game and passing are up to par, they can’t find the basket to ring up the all important field goal.

Wiitala’s return at guard should help the team.

Coach Keast must be too hard on the boys at half-time judging on their 3rd period play. The Redmen have been outscored 87-55 in the 3rd period. They have lost several games in the 3rd, often sacrificing good first half plays.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:40 am

Feb 15, 1940- “Redmen Win in Overtime Cage Battle 36-32.”

The Bay Towners (Gladstone) were up 14-7 after the 1st period, then Marquette’s defense did a lot better to cut the score to 19-12 Gladstone at the half.

In the 3rd Gladstone lost Knutson to fouls, then Graveraet took over and rung up 12 points in the 3rd to Gladstone’s 11. Then in the 4th Gladstone’s Zervic was sent to the showers which crippled them. Graveraet outscored Gladstone 8-2 in the 4th, then won the OT period 4-0.

Feb 16, 1940

Little article on who the leading scorer was for the City Schools of Marquette between Graveraet, Bishop Baraga, and J.D. Pierce. “Big Bob” Derleth from Bishop Baraga led with 96 points, while Graveraet’s "Jumping Jack" Frisk was second with 85 points.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:48 am

Feb 17, 1940-“Keast Crew Beats Miners by 3 points.”

After the Mining Journal’s constructive criticism of the Redmen basketball team & some more personnel movement, Graveraet wins their 2nd in a row!

The Shadford Crew (Negaunee) led 13-11 at the half. Wiitala returned to action and had 2 points, while Frisk led Graveraet with 14.
Also noted that Munising defeated Bishop Baraga 26-16. Bob Derleth of Bishop Baraga who was leading the city in scoring was guarded by a Munising player named Nadeau. Nadeau held the Parochial star Derleth to 2 field goals, while Nadeau himself scored 15 points.

J.D. Pierce lost to Eben 31-25 in what the Mining Journal classified as a “dull game.” J.D. Pierce did win the B game 20-13.

Feb 24, 1940- “Munising Defeats Reds 12-11.’ Paul Nadeau Big Noise in Alger Victory.’ “

The game was played in front of a roaring crowd of 1000 in Sidney Adams Gym. Graveraet thought they had won the game with 8 seconds left when Earl Normand dipped in a short shot for the 13-12 lead, but referee Rico Zenti of Negaunee claimed a foul happened at midcourt before the all-important play had developed.

Then Rodney Wasmuth missed a free shot that would have tied the game. Mather High’s Benny Montcalm’s foul at midcourt spoiled things. No one could hear the official’s whistle in the gym. Marquette fans were treated to a bang up game involving accurate passing, set shots and fine defensive tactics were stressed instead of wide open offensive play.

40% proceeds of this basketball game went to the Finnish Relief Fund. (Russia had invaded Finland during WW2. Many people in the U.P. were of Finnish descent and probably still had family there. The Finns inflicted heavy casualties on the Russians. They used cross-country skis to conduct many of their military operations & had many successful ambushes against the Russian invaders.)

Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:54 am

Mar 1, 1940- “Redmen to end season at Menominee.”

After winning 2 of their last 3, Graveraet now stood at 4-9 for the season. For the 2nd time this season, Marquette will stay overnight after the game. The first overnight stay was when Graveraet traveled to play Sault Ste Marie.

The paper recognized the seniors: Jack Frisk, Herman Pantalone, Wilbert Wiitala, Jack Culver, Earl Normand and Paul Carter.
Dick Kesky and Rodney Wasmuth should return next year. Also in a bold move, Coach Roger Keast was moving Earl Normand back to a guard position.

Mar 2, 1940- “Redmen lose 41 to 30 at Menominee.”

Graveraet apparently dug a big hole in the 1st half, because they did outscore Menominee 21-16 in the second half. This was the 2nd time the Redmen lost to Menominee this season. Graveraet finishes the 1939-40 regular season with a record of 4 wins, 10 losses.
The team scored 310 points, while giving up 358 points.

I thought back to my initial conversation with Tom Cushing and remembered a little more to what he said. He said about the ’39-’40 Redmen basketball team “We had to have been the worst team, ever…”

Graveraet now turns to the District Tournaments March 7, 8 and 9 at Sidney Adams Gym. For Graveraet in Class B, the teams that will meet in Marquette in their District will be Graveraet, Sault Ste Marie, Munising, Ishpeming and Negaunee.

National Mine was the only unbeaten team in the U.P.

Something interesting. Gwinn defeated J.D. Pierce in overtime on the “point system” 25-24. The game was tied 22-22 after 4 periods. In overtime the game ended 24-24. However Gwinn had more field goals (9 to 8] and fewer fouls. Pierce had a better percentage of foul shots.

(Paper didn’t explain how this point system worked, so we’ll just go off of those 3 criterias).
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:58 am

Mar 6, 1940- “82 teams in U.P. Basketball Tournament.”

Huge write-up on U.P. basketball. But actually article did clarify there were 79 U.P. teams. Two teams participating were from Wisconsin and one team was the Sault Ste Marie B Team.

You had Class B, Class C, Class D. Almost every little dot on the U.P. map had a basketball team.

I got a little overwhelmed with my note taking and had to cut it down. In this article it covered many of the regular season conference title races around the U.P.

Article mentioned the most exciting league race was up in the Copper Country. L’Anse, Houghton and Hancock were neck and neck. Eventually Hancock was forced out and L’Anse and Houghton ended up in a tie. The two teams replaced Calumet-who won the conference in ’39.

The write-up did mention the different conference races that occurred around the U.P. I remember reading about the “Little” teams in the eastern end of the U.P. (Believe conference was called the “Little 6.”)

There would be 8 Tournaments in the U.P.

Five (teams?) would not be represented in district play-leaving 82 teams to fight for 16 titles. There would be 4 district champions in Class B, 5 district champions in Class C, and 7 district champions in Class D.

Note: Districts were single elimination tournaments, then the winners of each district advanced to the U.P. championships. The U.P.’s were held in Marquette at Northern State Teachers College-what’s now NMU.

Article mentioned last year’s 1939 U.P. Champions:
Class B: Iron Mountain
Class C: Crystal Falls
Class D: Bergland

Did note some of the district match-ups and locations (pretty sure districts may have rotated between host schools). Here were some of them:

At Ontonagon

Class D- Trout Creek vs Watersmeet, Rockland vs Bergland

At Marquette

Class D- Palmer vs Champion, J.D. Pierce (Marquette) vs St. Paul (Negaunee), Michigamme vs Trenary
Class C begins Friday (teams not listed)
Class B- Graveraet vs Negaunee

At Crystal Falls

Class B- Wakefield vs Bessemer
Class C- St. Ambrose (Ironwood) vs Ewen

At Escanaba

(Didn’t note Class but can see it was Class D) Rock vs Cooks, Rapid River vs Garden. Other schools scheduled were Ripley, Moran, Hurlbert, Vulcan and Nahma.

Was getting "writer's cramp" by now. Just realized young people may not know what that is! ha ha
Last edited by Hueby on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:57 am

Mar 8, 1940- Edit newspaper headline of game: Redmen defeat Negaunee.

Graveraet wins their first game in their district tournament, as they defeated the Negaunee Miners 25-15. Jack Frisk had 15 points, while Jack Culver electrified the crowd with some very long shots.

Noted that Marquette J.D. Pierce lost 28-17 to Manistique. This loss eliminated them from the tournament. Not sure if J.D. Pierce had played St. Pauls as scheduled and then Manistique. Or a misprint on the opponent of J.D. Pierce.

While the Redmen players and their classmates were at Donkers, a man named Eddie Manninen and his dog walked in. The locals called him "Eagle-eyed Eddie" or would say "That's Eddie...he has the eyes of an eagle." But they'd say that because he was blind.

The dog was a seeing eye or guide dog. If you research them they started getting popular in Europe in the early 1900's (some cases went back further). Well Eddie walks in, grabs the rope and with the dog on the other end, starts swinging the rope around as the dog flies through the air in circles! :shock:

All the Graveraet basketball players and students are shocked! They immediately rush over to Eddie and stop him from swinging the poor dog around up in the air. To their relief, the dog was alright and wasn't hurt. They asked him "Eddie! What the hek are you doing?!"

Eddie says "Oh I was just looking around!" ha ha j/k!
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:00 am

Mar 8, 1940 Continued

So it appears Graveraet and Negaunee had a “play-in” game. The winner advanced to play Munising, while Ishpeming played Sault Ste Marie.

Couldn’t find any write-up, but then in their district tournament Graveraet went on to defeat Munising 23-19. The Redmen finally defeated Mather High-who defeated the Redmen twice in the regular season.

There was a brief write-up about the upcoming district championship game between Graveraet and Ishpeming. Ishpeming was described as a “accurate-passing, close guarding team.” Ishpeming advanced in the tourney by defeating Sault Ste Marie 27-18.

The winner between Graveraet and Ishpeming in this Class B District Championship game would advance to U.P. tournament held in Marquette at “Northern State Teachers College.”

A side note wanted to mention (as they have many loyal supporters to their community)...elsewhere in District Tournament play, Alpha defeated Amasa 28-27.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:44 am

Mar 10, 1940- Edit of newspaper headline: “Redmen defeat Ishpeming 27-18”

Graveraet capped their 2nd successive district Class B championship! Redmen had a “…Well knit offense to an amazed capacity crowd. The Redmen worked as a team. Rod Wasmuth and Earl Normand played their best ball of the season.”

While at the Northland Bar, a one-eyed pirate (stuck in Marquette due to all the ice on Lake Superior) walked in with a wheel around his "Johnson." The bartender, Herman Etlamaki says "Hey! Don't cha know you have a wheel around your Johnson?"

The pirate snaps back "Argh I know! And it drives me nuts!" ha ha
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:21 am

What I would like to do now is list all the 1940 district winners in the U.P. I will post where the districts were played, what Class was played there, and the scores of the championship games. All of the district champions would then move on to what was the ultimate goal back then- winning the U.P. championships held at “Northern State Teachers College Gym” in Marquette.

@ Marquette

Class B: Graveraet 27, Ishpeming 18
Class C: Baraga 26, Eben 24 (OT)
Class D: National Mine 31, St. Paul (Negaunee) 21

@ Houghton

Class B: Hancock 17, Houghton 16

@ Baraga

Class C: L’Anse 31, Ontonagon 25
Class D: Pequaming 17, Chassell 16

@ Ontonagon

Class D: Trout Creek 28, Bergland 22

@ Iron Mountain

Class B: Escanaba 38, Menominee 30
Class D: Hermansville 37, Daggott 32

@ Newberry

Class C: Newberry 40, Pickford 24
Class D: Brimley 18, Hulbert 15

@ Escanaba

Class C: Norway 26, St. Josephs (Escanaba) 21
Class D: Nahma 32, Rock 24

@ Crystal Falls

Class B: Iron River 30, Bessemer 20
Class C: Crystal Falls 47, St. Ambrose 12
Class D: Alpha 20, Channing 16
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:12 am

Mar 13, 1940

Article by Tim Foley. Mentioned Graveraet “…has been bolstered by a helpful brand of confidence, restored by consistent and aggressive play.”

For the U.P. Class B tournament, Graveraet drew Iron River. This draw had the Graveraet fans worried. They would have felt better drawing Hancock or Escanaba. However, Graveraet head coach Roger Keast did not share their opinion.

Coach Roger Keast was quoted throughout the article:

“We are just as well satisfied to play Iron River first. Iron River would have to be eliminated at some stage of the tournament, so why not the first game?...We were not rated as having much of a chance in the district tournament against Negaunee, Munising or Ishpeming, but the boys put everything they had into each game and came out with three well-earned victories…We know Iron River is good, but we also are certain that Iron River will know it has been in a basketball game when the last horn blast is heard Friday night.”

Also what they did back then was keep track of who the “City of Marquette Scoring Champion” was as they compiled stats between Graveraet, J.D. Pierce and Bishop Baraga.

The “Top Scorer” in 1939-40 was Bob Derleth of Bishop Baraga. He had 127 points (16 games, 52 field goals, 23 free throws).
Graveraet’s Jack Frisk was 2nd with 114 points.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:46 am

Mar 16, 1940- “Marquette drops Iron River 38-36 in Class B Semi Final Thriller.”

The determined cagers won a smashing game before a howling capacity crowd at Northern State Teachers College Gym.

Jack Frisk (scored 17 points) and Jack Culver (scored 11 points) shouldered the heavier part of scoring. Coach Roger Keast’s smooth working Redmen clicked effectively in every minute of the battle.

Marquette led 8-4 in the first, then lost a 16-12 advantage in the 2nd. Graveraet then poured it on in the 3rd feeding Frisk. Frisk’s tallies came from the “short pivot toss and his one handed shot, from the corner, while Culver was firing them in from back near mid-court and at the edge of the free throw lane.”

Up 33-30, the fans were on their feet in the final 2 minutes as Iron River was doing most of scoring. In the Graveraet yearbook it was written “Iron River lashed out a strong attack, but couldn’t overcome.” Graveraet held the ball the last minute.

Reading the article, one could tell it was a very exciting game.

Meanwhile, Escanaba defeated Hancock 34-28. Esky was led by sophomore Gauthier, who would be set up by guard Bobby Barron. Noted Pfotenhauer as a key player (One of the brothers who moved from Green Bay to lead them as the best football team in the U.P. in 1939).

This would set up a showdown between Graveraet and Escanaba for the Class B U.P. Championship. The two schools met once in the regular season. This was early on in Graveraet’s second game of the season, which was won by Escanaba 23-18.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:09 am

Mar 18, 1940

I would like to do something different here. I would like to combine my Mining Journal notes with the notes taken from the yearbook. The Mining Journal had a very…I mean “very long” write-up of the championship game. I will try to break it down into a shorter version.

Escanaba led 7-6 at the end of the 1st quarter.

In the 2nd quarter, this would be the only quarter “won” by Graveraet, as the Redmen scored 12 points to Escanaba’s 7 points. Graveraet’s “Jumping Jack” Frisk displayed his senior leadership as he inspired his team to forge ahead.

Graveraet led 18-14 at the half.

In the 3rd quarter, Graveraet scratched their way to a 23-16 lead, but it appears that would be the largest margin the Redmen would gain since they overtook Escanaba in the 2nd quarter. Escanaba would begin their comeback. Escanaba had a much more balanced team than Graveraet.

Escanaba would win the 3rd quarter 6-5.

After 3 quarters, it was an intense nail biter. Escanaba erased Graveraet’s 7 point lead and cut it to 3.

The score stood Graveraet 23, Escanaba 20.

In the 4th quarter, Graveraet began to feel the effects of their grueling tournament play. Escanaba refused to quit. They cracked the Redmen defense and continued to fight back from that 3rd quarter 23-16 deficit. Late in the 4th, Escanaba tied Graveraet. The Redmen took a slim lead, but again for the second time late in the 4th, the determined Eskymos tied the exhausted Redmen.

The game was stressful. The fans were screaming. The refs were professional, the cheerleaders rallying their student bodies, the coaches intensely directing their players. For all the players on the court and on the benches the “blood flowed” with excitement.

Both teams dug down the best they could. This was the big championship game everybody dreamed of playing in. None of these young men on either team wanted to lose this game. It was everything high school athletics should be about.

When the final horn blew as the gym was drowned out with screaming fans, Escanaba would “win” the 4th quarter 7-5. They would win 3 of the 4 quarters.

However, the 1939-40 Graveraet Redmen, 4-10 in a long regular season, hung on to a very intense, very exciting and very exhausting 28-27 victory!

Redmen Win!!!!!!!

Graveraet Redmen: 1940 Class B Upper Peninsula Champions!

Mar 18, 1940- “Frisk Paces Reds in 28-27 Victory Bout.”

The remarkable drive brought to a successful completion in a thrill-packed victory over a “Tough Esky 5.”

Under Head Coach Roger Keast, the win for Graveraet ended a 24 year championship famine. The last U.P. championship won by Graveraet prior was back in 1916!

Jack Frisk ended his career in a blaze of glory, scoring 18 points to offset the well rounded Eskymos.

For this championship game, here were the Graveraet players and their points:
Wasmuth 0 pts
Normand 5 pts
Frisk 18 pts
Pantalone 2 pts
Culver 1 pt
Keskey 1 pt
Wiitala 1 pt

For Escanaba:
Barron 5 pts
Schram 2 pts
Anderson 7 pts
Gauthier 5 pts
McDonald 3 pts
Holmes 1 pt
Pfotenhauer 4 pts
Shomin 0 pts

You can see here how dangerous Escanaba was, being more balanced. While most teams like Graveraet had 1 key player who did most of the scoring.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:15 am

Both Jack Frisk and Jack Culver were named to the U.P. Sports Writers All-Star Basketball Team.

* Crystal Falls went on to win the Class C U.P. Championship.

* Hermansville went on to win the Class D U.P. Championship.

I know I mentioned this- It appears by the Graveraet tatler some years there was a “Class E” tournament too.

Mar 19, 1940- “Big Parade, School Party.”

In this write-up, there was still some shock over how this basketball season played out. The writer went on to state how one month ago if someone said this Graveraet team would be U.P. champions," they would be asked to been seen by a doctor."

This Redmen team would win when the chips were down. There was something at Graveraet that really was never there before-excitement within the entire school.

The school had a victory parade. The parade route went from Graveraet High School, down Front Street then turning onto Washington Street (past the Northland Bar , past their Donkers hangout, saw cheering for them skinny Rusty Kiltinen, bartender Herman Etlamaki, the one-eyed pirate, Eagle-eye Eddie and the talking rope j/k) and stopped in front of the WDMJ Radio Station.

Speaking for the team in the studio would be Head Coach Roger Keast, then the team captain-Jack Frisk. Frisk unselfishly credited all of his teammates. Then it was the principal, Henhing J Anderson’s turn to speak. Mr. Anderson announced that for the rest of the day, classes would be canceled!

Instead, there would be a dance in the gymnasium. Also many businesses donated food and supplies for the dance. Many of those businesses are no longer there today. One business donated something that was enjoyed by many of the students at Graveraet during this dance…..

Eskymo Pie!
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:18 am

Tom Cushing had told me how the team “began to peak” at the right time. He told me how Jack Culver got really, really hot late in the season-especially with his long-range shooting. Cushing said Culver started making shots from back near midcourt! These shots just electrified the team and the fans.

He also told me Jack Frisk started doing something late in the regular season he hadn’t done all year. It is the shot known today as the “hook shot.” Cushing said he doesn’t know where Frisk learned it - or if “Keast showed it to him or what.” But Coach Keast let Frisk shoot it. I slipped this in a recent post as the paper described it “...short pivot toss and his one handed shot...”

Oh yes, I also remember something else now. Tom Cushing told me about this Redmen basketball team: “We had to have been the worst team, ever- in the regular season- to go on to win the U.P. championships!” He said with a proud grin “By the end of the season, we were unstoppable. We had all the confidence in the world and believed nobody could stop us!”

Well that’s it for this portion. Hope you all enjoyed it & it shed a little light on U.P. basketball back then too. I just need to take a break before moving on with the next story involving Graveraet athletics and their coach. Also want to fly it by one of the relatives for accuracy.

Thanks for dropping in.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:41 pm

If it's ok, I'd like to continue to drive on here. I'll try to post more than once a day to share all this I have researched. I hope you all enjoy this as I've had a lot of fun learning all this so far!.....

Here is a recap of the 1939-40 Graveraet Basketball season just covered:

Fri Dec 1 @ Munising Lost 24-28
Fri Dec 8 @ Escanaba Lost 18-23
Fri Dec 22 Bessemer Lost 18-31

Fri Jan 5 @ Sault Ste Marie Won 22-20
Sat Jan 13 Menominee Lost 17-24
Fri Jan 19 @ Ishpeming Lost 15-30
Sat Jan 20 Sault Ste Marie Won 25-14
Fri Jan 26 Negaunee Lost 22-29

Thr Feb 1 @ Newberry Lost 31-35
Fri Feb 9 Ishpeming Lost 16-19
Wed Feb 14 @ Gladstone Won 36-32
Fri Feb 16 @ Negaunee Won 25-22
Fri Feb 23 Munising Lost 11-12

Fri Mar 1 @ Menominee Lost 31-40

District Tournament

Negaunee Won 25-15
Sault Ste Marie Won 28-17
Munising Won 23-19
Ishpeming Won 28-17

Regional Tournament (U.P. Championships)

Class B
Graveraet 38, Iron River 26
Escanaba 34, Houghton 28
Graveraet 28, Escanaba 27
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:44 pm

A little more trivia to add. As mentioned, under coach Roger Keast this was Graveraet’s first U.P. Championship since 1916. Graveraet apparently was crowned U.P. champions in 1915 for football too. They were led in these sports by a student-athlete named Gus Sonnenberg. Sonnenberg would go on be a “world heavyweight wrestling champion” in 1929. He also played football at what is now NMU and at Dartmouth where he was All-American. On top of that, he played pro-football with Portsmouth and Detroit. He would be inducted to both the NMU and U.P. Sports Hall of Fame.

Here’s a little trivia on Ishpeming’s basketball coach during this time- C.C. Watson. Watson would coach Ishpeming basketball for 37 seasons, going 444-206, capturing 18 district and 8 U.P. titles. His 1934-36 teams won 42 games in a row. In 1950 he was state coach of the year as Ishpeming won the state title that year. Ishpeming defeated Grand Rapids Goodwin 43-37 in that title game. It was in 1947 when the U.P. teams started to play for state titles. Watson would be inducted into the U.P. Sports Hall of Fame too.

Source: upshf.com/inductees and mhsaa.com/sports/boysbasketball/yearly champions.
Hueby
All UP

PreviousNext

Return to Research and History