Old Marquette Redmen Info

Looking for all the information I can for this site. If you have some information you think others would enjoy, please post it.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Old Marquette Redmen Info

Postby Rosso60 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:31 pm

From The Marquette Mining Journal Thr May 26 2005

On this day in 1975

Designed to help area women understand the game of football, a special course will be offered in five sessions by John Schrolec, head football coach at Marquette Senior High School.

Three of the meetings will be devoted to offense and two to defense.

Grid terminology and systems will be explained. Mothers of high school players and any other women interested in learning more about the sport are invited to attend. There will be no charge for the program.

I've got a few stories to share about this coach and some of the players who played for him. Also some from just before and after this era. It will take me some time to get many of the stories/info posted. Especially hope the Marquette Football players like it, as even those of you who hate the (well once called the) Big Red Machine... which pretty much consists of the entire U.P., every alumni of all the other U.P. Football teams, over 3/4 of the MSHS student body, 80% of the teachers, faculty and staff within the MAPS school district, former football coaches-to include former MSHS coaches, the nuns from St. Christopher's Parish in MQT, and the children at Dorothy's First-Step Day Care in Negaunee and Kountry Kids Child Development Center of Ishpeming.
Rosso60
All UP

History

Postby Rosso60 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:51 pm

I'm in the process of contacting some of the former players during the Schrolec years. Had a couple wonderful conversations with a couple former players already. Since it will take a while, I'm going to share a few other things- for what it's worth.

My intent is to share stories, reinforce values/philosophies we were taught/experienced through football, and also hope to pass along some U.P. Football history in the process.

I was able to borrow some MSHS tatlers from an in-law will share. ('68-'71 tatlers) The first is a tatler from 1968 (1967 season):

* Marquette wore white helmets with a red stripe down the middle. Red jerseys with the 2 white strips near the top of the sleeve/edge of the shoulder pads. White pants. They all wore matching socks-white w/red strips.

* The athletic trainers wore uniforms. White pants. Red shirts with about a 2 in white trim around the neck. Also wore a number on the left sleeve.

* Head Coach was Jerry Pangrazzi. Assistants were Bob Apple and Lou Marchiol. All wore suits and a tie. Photo shows them at the chalkboard with a full house backfield. Pangrazzi went on to become the AD. I had Bob Apple for a teacher-we could throw him off subject real easy whenever someone brought up deer hunting. Marchiol had a son who played hockey & baseball. Was a member of the Electricians Nat'l Champ Team. The Jr Marchiol was a good sized kid then also.

* JV coaches that year were Richard Coombs (Head Coach) assistants were Dale Phillips and Mr T Nyquist. JV's went 3-3 that year. Coombs I heard was a hard/demanding coach. He was the one I heard about pulled the team off the bus on the way to the Soo one year-so they could make some changes to the offense. Ran the offense in a farmer's field. Phillips was the MSHS cross country coach in the 80's-weird to see him w/football.

* Photos include a Gladstone player #15 making a tackle on a Redmen back and a big Munising player #68 moving in to cover a MQT receiver.

* Varsity team had 38, JV's had 53 players (Frosh & Soph's together)
The other tatlers look better w/more info- to follow-
Rosso60
All UP

Before the 4th

Postby Rosso60 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:22 pm

Try to get another post in here on this thread before the 4th of July Holiday Weekend.....

The 1969 Tatler (For the '68 season) has a couple nice photos of Marquette playing in Gladstone. You can recognize those same trees that are still there today around the field.

* One photo shows a MQT RB running right toward the cameraman, with Redmen & Braves linemen flying all over the place around him. MQT uniforms/helmet are all white with red trim. Gladstone has a "G" logo on their helmets, almost like the Packers "G". Some of the Gladstone players have stars (some more than others) that run along the stripe on the center of their helmets.

* I can't tell who some of the opponents are in other photos- as they are black & white photos & no logos or names. Except MQT did play Munising. "Mustangs" are written on the back of their jerseys.

* There is also a photo of the Redmen hoisting Head Coach Jerry Pangrazzi on their shoulders. Pangrazzi has a windbreaker and near the left pocket area reads "Marquette" (words in a half circle) and underneath "Sr. High". Under the windbreaker a white shirt and tie. Looks professional. Another photo in the book shows they threw him in the shower in the locker room.

* Tatler reads: The Marquette Redmen worked hard and with a lot of "rah rah" did an outstanding job this year. The football squad went undefeated in conference play. Capturing first place in the Great Lakes Conference and taking fourth in the Upper Peninsula rating. After the first game tie, coach Jerry Pangrazzi rearranged the offense and defense which allowed more key players to participate. Following this move the Redmen won seven straight games. Said the coach, " They didn't care who made the tackles, who made the touchdowns or who got the ball, they worked as a team and played to win.

The offensive line scored 160 points this year covering hundreds of yards per game. The defensive line did an exceptional job, allowing the opponents to score only 67 points against them. With everyone doing their job and playing their positions so well, it was hard to pick the most valuable player. Dave Nyquist, quarterback, and John K. Olson, linebacker, where chosen to share the honors of most valuable players for 1968."

* The team photo is one of the "neatest" photos I've seen- as in the background, are larger photos of Apple, Pangrazzi and Marchiol. (Photo from chest up, kinda faded as not to stand out like the team photo- kinda looks like they're looking down on the team). All 3 have matching white T-shirts with "Marquette Staff" written on them and all have whistles around their necks. In the team photo and action photos- I notice the uniformity-down to identical socks worn at the same height on every player. Uniformity is one sign of discipline, and you can really see this.

* Team photo shows 47 players. Again- all coaches and trainers are in uniform.

Here's what the JV page reads:

* This years Junior Varsity football squad worked hard for their 3-3-2 record. New Head Coach Richard Coombs took command along with Asst. coaches Dale Phillips and George Karageorge, who is new to the coaching staff this year. The Junior Varsity was determined to win and when they lost they doubled their efforts to practice and improve. Many of the players have improved keeping alive our hopes for next years varsity and B-team. The captain of this years squad was quarterback, Dick Goodney, with the most valuable player being Mike Bressette.

* Disreguard Coombs as being the JV head coach the year before- that was a mistake on my part. My apologies. The tatler doesn't specify who the head coach was the year prior.

* JV's had a roster of about 53 players.

* The varsity didn't play Escanaba that season- the JV's did and lost 12-37. Hope everyone has a Happy 4th of July Weekend.
Last edited by Rosso60 on Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rosso60
All UP

Now Happy 4th

Postby Rosso60 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:02 am

P.S.....

Notice how it the worded "The offensive line scored 160 points this year....." I like that. Everything those backs do is a reflection on how well the offensive line blocks. That's the first time I ever saw that written like that.
Rosso60
All UP

1970 Tatler

Postby Rosso60 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:16 pm

From the 1970 Tatler- for the 1969 season, the football section was called "Redmen have disappointing defeats, Overpowering victories..."
and on another page "...and have a colorful season."

* Here's what was written: "Because the Redmen lost key games against Gladstone, Soo, and Ishpeming, they tied for Third place in the GLC. Except for the 3 losses, though, they showed much willingness to play and earned a 5-3 season. Coach Jim Meyer was added to the staff this year and Bob Apple was moved up to head coach. Bob Goodwin was voted Most Valuable Player and Captain of the season, because of his hard work at halfback."

* In the game photos, the 3 coaches all wore slacks, short sleeved white shirts and a tie. One photo shows Coach Apple talking to some lineman- his back is turned to the camera so maybe he got his hand off the lineman's facemask just before the photo was snapped? :) His left arm isn't hanging down like the right arm. Of course, couple of the backs are on a knee and don't appear to be getting the same lecture as the linemen.

* Looks like Coach Apple wasn't as strict on the socks like Pangrazzi was ha ha.

* Now here's a 1st- it was the photo taken when Marquette won the 1st Annual Jubilee trophy. A Mining Journal representitive has a mike in one hand and is handing the trophy to Coach Bob Apple, and surrounding by cheering players. They look so happy, and I must confess I w/teammates had our photo taken with that trophy & I posted on the brawl site we didn't care about it. Feel bad about that now when I see their proud faces. We were happy for the win, but there was no build up back then about the trophy. Because after the Mqt/Neg game came the game that would mean everything to any Marquette player- the opponent who ran U.P. Football and was everything your school should have been- the Escanaba Eskymos.

* Kinda different to see Mqt in virtually all white- to include the helmets, and the red trim- especially the trim around the shoulderpads near the sleeve. Anyway some good action photos of Mqt playing Munising. Marquette didn't play Escanaba that '69 season.

* I counted 53 varsity players in the team photo. Outstanding numbers.

* Coach Jim Meyer- I remember seeing his photo for NMU football- an individual photo but don't remember for what award. I had him for a teacher also. The thing I really remember about him in class was how he was really against racism. How he really stressed not judging people by the color of their skin. He'd also kid the girls in the class and say "Give women the right to vote and look what happens- 2 world wars, a great depression, Korea, Vietnam, etc."

Here's what the JV section read: "Hustle and drive earns B-team a winning season." Paragraph reads "Coach Coombs had only sophomores on the B-team this year because of the addition of the freshman squad. Even though they had a smaller squad, the B-team still had 5 wins and 3 losses. Captain of the team was John Soyring."

* Coombs is the only coach I see in the team photo. They have 33 players. In the photos, they are playing Kingsford (or Ishpeming?). Mqt is wearing red pants/jerseys- and white helmets. The record however-actually shows them at 6-2. The 2 losses listed wow- lost 14-0 to Newberry and 48-0 to Escanaba. At the JV level, other opponents were Ishpeming 2x, Kingsford, Munising, Negaunee, and wow- Manistique.

* The freshman team went 5-1. They rolled over Newberry,here we go- Escanaba 26-6 -there's hope there- played Ishpeming 2x and Negaunee. The 1 loss was to the Gwinn JV's 42-12. The Frosh coaches were Jon Peterson and Bill Rudness. I never knew Rudness had anything to do with football- he was a shop teacher & didn't appear to have anything to do with athletics then. He was big though- appears to be like 270 (+) lbs. Frosh have about 49-50 players then. Another good turnout. See what the numbers can do for ya.

* So it appears this season Bob Apple takes over from Jerry Pangrazzi, and Mqt starts up a Frosh program.

* And check this out, MSHS starts up something else- a hockey team. Some neat action photos vs Hancock. 16 kids on the team. One photo shows them standing to the playing of the national anthem. Russell Brumm was assist capt & Harold Herlich team capt.

* Lots of clubs and activities and it appears the school had a hek of a lot more school spirit than the late 70's early 80's. Lots of fans at the sporting events and I'm told back then Marquette would fill up 3 student fan buses- isn't that something? Kids still wore short hair then and we were still in the Vietnam War. Our military was going through the transitional phase then- more and more forces were becoming draftees and not the all volunteer professional forces like the mid 60's. Lots of social changes were going on when this tatler was printed.
Rosso60
All UP

Re: 1970 Tatler

Postby Rosso60 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:48 pm

Rosso60 wrote: ... The Frosh coaches were Jon Peterson and Bill Rudness. I never knew Rudness had anything to do with football- he was a shop teacher & didn't appear to have anything to do with athletics then. He was big though- appears to be like 270 (+) lbs.....

Ok- this generates a memory & a story :D Speaking of shop teachers- am going to get off subject a minute but you'll see where I'm going with this-

**I'll break this up into 2 posts- if you want to get to the football story- skip to the next post**

At MSHS then there was quite a cast of teachers. In the shop class areas- there was one teacher who taught graphic arts and the students called him "Karate Don" or "Chop Chop." Many of us asked why he had this nick name, and many of our stories matched. The story was in the 70's the kids locked him in the dark room (where you develope photos) and he was yelling stuff like "...You kids better let me out!...or I'll chop this door down!"

Now besides Rudness, another teacher the kids would of never of messed with was Rudi Gagnon-who lived up in Negaunee. I had Mr Gagnon for 2 years of metals class. He was my favorite teacher at MSHS. The first year I had him, I knew he didn't like the way he had to teach metals. So his tests sometimes involved drawing pictures (how you would see it if doing it hands on) - he couldn't stand bookwork either. He believed in "hands on" instruction.

He was also straight and to the point. He didn't b.s. He had a question on a test that went something like- "At what point does metal begin to heat where it can be formed." (something like that). A lot of us put answers down like "1,000 degrees C, or 10,000,000 degrees C, etc." We'd get our test back and in big red ink would be a check mark, and he'd write "DUH!" in big letters over our answers. The answer was "The melting point." and he'd say "For Christs sake how many times did I tell you this and some of you Finns just don't listen do ya?"

He spoke what was on his mind- one student was an O'Devero- whose dad owned the big construction company. All of a sudden out of nowwhere Gagnon would turn to O'Devero and say "Hey O'Devero- how come your old man's working his guys on New Years Day? or doing this, or Does your old man really think he's gonna do this in this much time, etc."

He told us one story once when gas welding- ya know how you can adjust the oxygen and acetylene to make a black flame? He said one day one of his students did this and in the work area was writing "Rudi Sucks" on the wall. Gagnon said ".....I was standing looking over his shoulder while he was doing it, and that Finn was actually laughing while writing it- and didn't even know I was there. Should of seen the look on his face when he turned around."

The 2nd year I took him, he got approval to teach the class his way- hands on. And lots of it. Repetition- just like in football. He talked how the kids at MSHS once built a house- and stressed that was the only way to learn- by doing. I enjoyed him so much- I spent my study halls & after school welding projects for Joe Little- a former MSHS football/track (well field) player who had started a gym in Marquette called "Joe's Gym." Welding was big then- as many yoopers were heading down to Odessa/Midland Texas those days, and out in the oil rigs off Texas. Gagnon treated you like you were on the job and conditioned you to how people were going to talk to you in the real world.

What Gagnon would do was on Fridays, he'd let us make a store run. One kid would collect the money, take the orders, and sneak up to the then B & J party store. Rule was- if you got caught by a hall monitor, you deny Gagnon let you do this, and that you did this on your own. It worked until one day a wrestler from Big Bay got caught and cracked under questioning. Another rule was you had to buy something for Mr Gagnon.

So one Friday in Metals Class, while Mr Gagnon sat there eating a twinkie or doritoes and drinking a soda- a Marquette football game came up and here was the story best to my memory...
Rosso60
All UP

Gagnon's Story

Postby Rosso60 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:07 am

I had never known this- but Rudi Gagnon played football for the Negaunee Miners. Sports wasn't popular at MSHS then, and it all started with a sarcastic remark about Gagnon going to a football game. This was the 1st time I really saw him open up & talk a little about football. I was going to post this story seperately, maybe title it "The Bitin' Miners" or "The Teeth of the Miner's D." This story isn't meant to offend/provoke anything among the 2 schools- just hope you all enjoy it for what it's worth.

I can only put in a timeline that Gagnon played for Negaunee back in the 50's. He told us how much they hated Marquette in his playing days, and was explaining to us how Marquette had this huge player on their team (Gagnon's holding his hand up high and wide trying to describe him)

I believe the Marquette player was a back- but can't remember for sure- but I do remember Gagnon telling us one of his Miner teammates had a little surprise for him during the game. During the game- say there was a pile up of bodies on a tackle, all of a sudden you'd hear this Marquette player yell "Ahhhhhhhhh!"

He was getting bit but was having trouble figuring out who was doing it. The Miners would quickly go back to their huddle. Apparantly after so many bites the Marquette player had had enough- apparently he finally figured out who the Miner player was who was doing it- and walked over to the huddle with the ref- pointing him out.

But here's what was so classic/funny about the story. The Negaunee player doing the biting had false teeth. So he'd quickly slip his teeth out over to a teammate, who'd hide them in his hand. Gagnon was explaining how this ref had his teammate open his mouth and tip his head back. The ref then started looking in his mouth- back, left, right, up , down- and there were no teeth to be found.

Meanwhile, the Redman player was yelling "That's him! That's the one who's biting me!" And all of the Miner players are pointing to this guy's mouth in protest to the ref saying "What's he talking about?! He doesn't even have any teeth!" The ref was just shaking his head, looking at that Marquette player like "What the hek ARE you talking about?!" The Miner player doing the biting would just flash a smile back at him- showing a mouth with no teeth. Then once the coast was clear they'd all break out laughing in the huddle.

I never saw Gagnon laugh so hard in my 2 years of metals class with him. Gagnon was also trying to imitate his old teammate by putting his lips over his teeth and smiling. His face was beat red and head shaking left and right as he was laughing-thinking back to those days. And to be honest, when you think about the teamwork involve to pull that off that's quite funny. I'll always remember that day he shared a little Redmen/Miner football history with us.

Will get back to the tatler soon...
Rosso60
All UP

1970 season

Postby Rosso60 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:46 pm

Ok the 1970 season (from the '71 tatler)

It's titled in the football section: "Redmen Take Great Lakes Conference."

Another good turnout for the varsity- I counted 48 in uniform on the team picture. Some pretty good action photos.

One is a photo taken looking down the Line of Scrimmage against Gladstone. Gladstone appears to have some pretty "stout" ball players. A different "G" logo on their helmet. The photo was taken at Gladstone I believe as the Braves are in dark jerseys, the Redmen in all white & red trim. Oh and back to uniformity - ALL Redmen in the photo are wearing their socks low ha ha.

The rest of the Redmen offensive line have their arms on their knees, appear to be getting ready for the "set" command. What I get a kick out of this is the offensive linemen's helmets are in line with the center' s hip. I remember in middle school, they had us line up about 1 yard off the LOS. Anyone else remember having to line up this far from the LOS? But in the photo, it was that nice, straight line coaches look for.

Another photo shows a Redman back stiff arming an Ishpeming player- who is wearing a blue helmet w/2 strips running up the center. However, the other 2 Hemetite players in pursuit- are wearing white helmets, with a big letter "I" on the sides. Never saw those before.

I see something on the front of the Marquette white helmets for the 1st time. It appears the football players received these little stars to put on their helmets for awards. Kinda like Ohio State does.

Some other good photos- appears to be against Negaunee I believe.

Here's what it reads on another page: "Redmen Finish the Season with a 7-1 Record." Also reads "Although forgotten by the U.P. sportswriters in the pre-season predictions, the Marquette Redmen, under the guidance of the Coach of the Year, Mr. Bob Apple, won the Great Lakes Conference Championship. Finishing the season with a 7-1 record, the squad scored 171 points, while yielding only a total of 64 points. This includes a 20-13 Jubilee Trophy victory over Negaunee, a 9-7 win over Gladstone, who was previously unbeaten and unscored against, and a 33-12 homecoming victory over the Soo."

Want to mention something about Homecoming. Back then, at MSHS, the student classes built 2 floats. One was an alumni float- the other was a spirit float. The alumni float-of course- had some alumni ride on it. The junior class won that float- showing a Viking ship which reads "Our Alumni-Clear Sailing Ahead."

The Freshman- who took last of course on their spirit float- theirs had the Flintstones figures on a football field apparently and it read "Yaba-Daba Do- Stomp the Soo."

Their is a super turnout for each class walking behind their floats. (Unlike when I was there ha ha)

The senior class of '71 had never won any 1st place over their time at MSHS. Guess they built a kick-butt float. The parade route then had the students coming out of the maintenance garage- down Magnetic to 3rd Street, south on 3rd street down to Baraga Ave.

So that senior class- all excited that they built this kick-butt float, starts out down Magnetic. This float has a smoke stack with real smoke coming out of it. They get 2 blocks down Magnetic- when the float catches on fire. I guess people are coming out of their homes with water trying to put out the flame, but it wasn't enough. The entire float burned down to the ground, just about 2 blocks into the parade.

Of course- that 1 loss for the Redmen that season was the 1st game of the year against- you guessed it- The Escanaba Eskymos. Mqt lost 13-7. Close score. But in my opinion, Marquette Football is where it should be at least. Good turn out, good coaches, good school spirit/support, some close wins against some good football programs - and hopefully by that score they played the Eskymos tough.

Got more to post for the JV's & Frosh Football teams....
Rosso60
All UP

1970 Cond't

Postby Rosso60 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:49 pm

Continueing on.....

"J.V. Team Goes Undefeated"

Under the direction of Coaches Coombs and Karageorge, the B Team compiled their first undefeated season in ten years. The 1960 team also went undefeated. Negaunee and Escanaba provided the toughest competition with the junior Redmen coming from behind to win 14-12 and 22-20 respectively. John Stedman was elected Most Valuable Player and Thomas Adamini Honorary Captain. Experience provided by the Freshman Program aided the B Team in obtaining their objective.

* Just a couple things I'd like to add. Looking at the photos- you see the JV Redmen in red jerseys and pants- and white helmets.

* In one photo you can see the maintenence garage in the back ground- and also up on the tennis courts- bleachers are there.

* Appears there was no girls's tennis then, and apparently the school moved the bleachers out in the spring. Appears the attendance was outstanding then.

* The B Team had about 34 players on the team.

The Freshman:

Tatler reads:

"The freshmen football team had a very successful season with a record of 6 wins and 1 loss. This year's team captain was Kurt Micklow and David Anthony was chose as the most valuable player. Although this is only the second year of the freshman program, Mr Jon Peterson (coach) says it is already a great success. Mr Richard Coombs (JV coach) says that the program has done a lot to provide a good group of boys for the JV team. This should prove to be true as many of this year's players will return to become members of the Junior Varsity squad."

* That Frosh team had 51 on the roster-quite a turn out. William Rudness assisted Jon Peterson as a coach.

* Some of the photo's show them playing Escanaba Holy Name.

Over all, a very good year for the Marquette Football program at all levels. But keep in mind- I know some posters on this site have stated that they don't put too much stock in the Frosh & JV's- meaning what happens at that level doesn't mean it's going to happen at the varsity level.

I couldn't agree more. By the time varsity rolls around, as we know you're going to have many personnel changes:

* Career ending injuries
* Some kids beating out other kids for starting positions/playing time. As some kids develope/grow at different rates
* Kids kicked off/limited playing time for discipline problems
* Juniors who don't want to sit the bench & wait for their playing time
* Kids who don't work out in the off season because they figure they're good
* Kids who won't play for the coach

Etc, Etc Etc. I just wanted to use this to bring up some points:

1) Just because you beat a team (or lose to) teams at the Frosh or JV level- don't ever, ever, ever think it's automatic at the varsity level. Ever!

2) Good athletic programs also teach young athletes about life. Don't ever not play a sport just because you may not like a coach! In anything you do in life, there will be bosses/supervisors you're not going to like. If you enjoy/love doing something, you don't ever let people like that stop you from doing it- EVER!

* I wanted to throw that out there, because I saw a lot of that at MSHS. And all these guys- years later- regret it! They feel they let their friends down and themselves. And when you get on that topic, you should see how it angers them. Don't make that same mistake!

I have a few other things of history to throw out there from these tatlers, I'm having so much fun I hope to find some that will bring us to the John Schrolec days........
Rosso60
All UP

Other things

Postby Rosso60 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:38 pm

Just a few other comments/info:

* Marquette Basketball was coached by Fred Taccolini that season. Louis Taccolini coached the B-team. L. Tac's B-Team went 17 & 1. Sounds like the same type of seasons he had with the Girl's Varsity teams of the 80's. (Course he had 'em going year round). Photo's include games vs Esky & I believe Menominee (blue colors- no name on jerseys).

* Guy named Tomi Peterson coached the Frosh.

* The Hockey Team- reads "Hockey Team Wins Conference." This would be the school's 2nd season of high school hockey. Lots of photos vs Calumet. The coach was William Lindstrom. I heard he was an S.O.B of a coach also. Was a "My Way or the Highway" type coach. Heard one story he wouldn't allow his players to attend "Open Skating". Would make the players skate his way. He may have played professional also. I had counted around 7 seniors on that hockey team- 4 of them played football also. 2 of the 4 ran track.

* Wrestling team only had 12 members. It appears not too many football players wrestled- but looking through the "Senior Activities" page most of the football players were involved in other sports/activities.

* Short hair is getting longer among the boys. That Big Bill The Bears Fan/Packer hater from Menominee told me it was during these years (Just after they won the '67 State Champ in Basketball) that Menominee sports really went down hill. The Vietnam War & Protests- said all that was hitting Menominee then. Appears that bug hasn't hit Marquette just yet.
Rosso60
All UP

Menominee Side

Postby Rosso60 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:39 pm

While I'm in the process of getting some info from old MSHS tatlers, I just wanted to share a few stories from Big Bill The Bears Fan/Packer Hater from Menominee.

At this point, Bill was graduating from MHS. The Maroons still had an outstanding football program, but you'll see in their history they slipped a few years in the early 70's.

For the kids going through school then, Bill told me Menominee was doing everything they could to keep kids off the street. Rules like how they had to take more classes to stay in school if they weren't working. A good share of students were getting kicked out of classes left and right. They just didn't want to be there.

Bill said he was one of them. He said he'd make a paper airplane in class, point it at the teacher as her back was turned to write on the blackboard, someone would dare him- so he'd throw it at her. She'd turn around and point to him and yell..."You!....Out!"

Now days students have a lot of computers, TV, video games, game cubes, parents running them here & there, etc. But what kind of things did the student athletes do in Menominee back then to pass the time?- here are some of Bill's stories. They involve mostly football & basketball players at that time. I can't say their names, but some of these guys would eventually receive recognition at the U.P. level in sports......

1) With a planned escape route, one of these guys would put smashed tomatoes on him, to give some "blood" effect. The Menominee guys would go out by US41 within the town, and one guy would play the"victim" (with the blood). As cars approached, a bunch of the guys would act like they were beating up the "victim". Bill had a club, and would actually swing hard, but drag the bat as it hit the ground inches from him. The others would kick & punch him. The victim would scream "Heeeeelp Meeeeee!"
Cars on both sides of US41 would stop, and as people would jump out to help, Bill & them all ran to the escape route.

One bystandered chased them yelling "You're really gonna be hurt once I get a hold of you!"

2) Bill & a football player were at Dairy Treat, and they couldn't make up their mind what to get. The lady behind the counter snapped at them and told them to get out of the place, as they were holding up the people behind them.

Ticked off, they went to Bill's house. Bill randomly picked out a name and number out of the phone book, and using that name, called Dairy Treat and placed an order for 8-9 people.

He went back there about 20 minutes later to buy a soda, and that lady had the order and was on the phone. He said he could hear the guy on the other end yelling and swearing at her. Saying something like "I don't give a **** who you claimed ordered what, I didn't ******* order it and ain't gonna pay for it!"

Bill said he should of asked if they had any food on discount.

3) The athletes used to sneak into the football field to play baseball. They usually played until the cops kicked them out. Bill said he remembers one guy- doing the pitching- taking a line drive to the mouth. Said it took out some teeth and his mouth was full of blood. When stuff like like happened, it was always "Get the younger guys outta here." The older kids would kick out the younger kids.

4) Bunch of the football & basketball players were sitting around at a friends house at winter time. The house across the street was vacant for the winter, as the lady went to Florida. So disquising their voice as that old lady, they call for a taxi. The taxi arrives 20 minutes later, stops, looks around at the house covered with snow, then leaves.

So they call the cab company right back. Pretending to be the old lady, the football player doing the calling tells them "Look, I just saw your driver pull up and he left. I'm here, I'm elderly and don't do a lot of shoveling, could you send him back and have him help me walk through the snow?"

So a little while later the driver shows up, he starts walking over the snow bank, disappears from sight and walks in almost waist high snow to the house. The Menominee athletes break up into 2 groups, giving each other 30 seconds to get into place, then from the taxi drivers right & left- they ambush him with snowballs. Bill said the cab driver was yelling and screaming, covering himself with his hands and unable run back to the car. Bill said after a minute they all broke and ran.

5) They'd throw tomatoes at cars. That ended when one day, 2 angry guys got out and chased them. Bill said they all went different directions throughout the neighborhood. He said one guy lost him when Bill hid under someone's steps. He said he eventually saw 2 sets of feet by the steps. One voice said "Did you find any? Did you see where they went?" The other voice said "I just lost one of 'em. Boy I tell ya what, when I get my hands on one of them little c*** s****** I'm going to kill that little b*******." Bill said he could hear his heart pumping, he was just like a scared little rabbit. Bill thought the guys would hear his heart beating he was so scared.

6) Bill said there was a flag pole on the edge of a hill behind a library. He said everyone would untie the rope, stick their foot in it, and swing around the pole over the edge of the hill.

So the rope would get tied higher, but the kids were always able to get to it.

So finally one day the rope is tied really, really high up on the flag pole. So one guys climbs the flagpole, unties the rope to his friends, then slides down the flag pole.

Problem was he went down so fast, and he climbed so high, he slid down the pole real fast. Ya know the metal rods that stuck out of the flag pole then points up & down (where the rope was originally tied to?). Because he wasn't paying attention, Bill said the kid slid right down into those rods.

Bill said he'll never forget that cursing scream- to this day. Bill said that guy's pants were full of blood as that guy screamed in pain. Of course it was "Get the younger kids outta here!"

When Bill told me this, I kinda bent down just thinking about it. I asked Bill whatever happened to this guy. Bill said "Oh I don't know, he's probably singing soprano in the church choir."

Anyway, those were just a few stories of what life was like for some of the U.P. Football players in Menominee those days- outside of football.
Rosso60
All UP

Set Up Story

Postby Rosso60 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:45 am

I came back here to edit the "Set Up" story, as I probably posted some inappropriate things.

Basically, what I wanted to pass along was back then in the middle schools at Marquette (At least at Bothwell) you had to try out for the basketball team. I tried out, didn't make the cut, and ended up playing intermurals (which is nothing-no coach- the gym teacher ran the time clock & kept score).

The coach who cut me was Larry Ruffato, and this memory came about as I noticed him with the Redmen Basketball Team photo in the 67-68 tatler.

Totally forgot about it. I do remember taking the disappointment very hard. My dad said that was the first time he ever "hated" athletics- but it wasn't like he went complaining to the coach or some administrator.

It was a tough lesson learned, but as I thought about the story it made me realize something-

Starting at the middle school- the basketball team consisted of those who tried out, and made the team. I remember later in my high school years, hearing how they did away with tryouts. At Bothewell they had something like 2 teams. I haven't compared the Marquette Basketball Program to "Players who had to try out & make the team back in middle school" vs "Coomb By Ya (sp?), everybody makes the team and all the players & parents are happy."

I'm curious to know now if when Marquette Basketball slumped there sometime in the '90's, what the feeder program was like back then.

Getting cut was just like lighting a fire under by behind. It taught me then if I wanted something-I was going to have to work for it. I just wanted to throw that out there.
Last edited by Rosso60 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rosso60
All UP

Edit Post

Postby Rosso60 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:16 am

Edit Post (Please Delete Thanx)
Rosso60
All UP

Early 70's

Postby Rosso60 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:42 am

While up in Marquette I spent some time at the library- and was able to get info from Tatlers leading up to the Schrolec era. (Coach Apple Teams of the early 70's)

Except there wasn't a 1972 Tatler- but I know where to get one from.

Meanwhile, before it was MSHS, "Marquette High School" was mainly Graveraet. You also had Bishop Baraga (Catholic School) and JD Pierce- which was a school part for NMU (Northern Normal School).

I saw on one old Tatler JD Pierce defeated Graverate (MHS) 71- something like 6. Family members couldn't answer if JD Pierce was some kind of private school or what- just that they were connected to the college.

All they could say about Bishop Baraga is "...they were snobs-thought they were better than everyone else" ha ha I know my mom's class even cut them out of class reunions over the years because "They still wouldn't talk to us & still thought they were better people."

Marquette divided by cliques/politics?-no way! lol

If it's one thing I learned about Marquette Football while browsing through the old tatlers from the teens, 20's, 30's, 40's, and up to the 50's which tie into the history section on this site- is that Marquette Football-even back then- had trouble reaching winning seasons .

Many 0-2 win season's. There may have been a few good years here and there- I didn't find them- but nothing. If anyone were to go look through those books like I did-I'm sure you would agree & find the same to be true.

One book from the 20's or 30's mentioned Marquette losing to Ishpeming 6-0 in front of over 1,000 people.

Another from the 30's mentioned how Marquette defeated Negaunee to win the County Championship- the 1st time winning the County in 6 years.

The writeups were comical-would be to us today. But too much for me to copy & post here. So before I continue on with the 70's, I'd like to post a few "real old" info I hope you'll all get a kick out of...........
Last edited by Rosso60 on Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rosso60
All UP

Some kind of fate

Postby Rosso60 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:00 am

After getting the info I wanted from the 70's- the very first real old tatler I grabbed, opened it up - and I couldn't believe what I saw on the page (pg 91) - like it was some kind of omen, miracle, or what......

It was a picture of Carl G. Nystrom..."Buck"!!!!

The Tatler was 1923. There was a class photo of Carl Nystrom, and on the sides photos of him in track, basketball, football and baseball.

With the following:

Basketball 1919-20-21-22
Track 1922
Baseball 1920-21
Football 1919-20-21-22

Page reads:

"One of the greatest athletes ever developed in the Marquette High School will graduate this year. He is Carl "Buck" Nystrom.

From his very entrance into athletics "Buck" has been building for himself and his school a reputation as standing for all that is high and clean in sports.

He was captain of our champion football team of 1922, a fitting end to a wonderful high school athletic career. Marquette is proud of him and wishes for him with his ability many laurels in the future."

I'll be posting 2 pages of the football sectionsoon- you'll get a kick outta this!!!!....
Rosso60
All UP

1923 Tatler

Postby Rosso60 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:35 am

Page 94 of the 1922-23 Tatler:

FOOTBALL

Marquette has much to be proud of this year. We produced the best football team in the upper peninsula, proving our claim by beating every team, except one, we met.

The trip to Saginaw to play Saginaw Eastern inaugurated a new style of athletics for Marquette. It proved we can put out a team of champions and a champion team.

We shall not lose so many from the team of 1922 that we shall be unable to win the title again next year. We have Beaudin, captain-elect; Hillberg,Chubb, Jensen and Jensen, Hiney, Brown and Brown, and Dennett. With these for a nucleus we should have no trouble in producing another championship team.

RECORD

Marquette 19 Alumni 0
Marquette 6 Newberry 0
Marquette 37 Ishpeming 0
Marquette 13 Negaunee 0
Marquette 30 Escanaba 0
Marquette 33 Ishpeming 0
Marquette 13 Negaunee 0
Marquette 13 Hancock 6
Marquette 0 Saginaw 77

Marquett 164 Opponents 83

Then on the bottom of the page are 4 box clips with a male cheerleader cartoon. He wears this little cap and has a megaphone. I'll try to describe this....

Titled "That Yell -Leader"

1st box: guy w/hands in the air, megaphone falling to ground "Are you readee?"
2nd box: guy w/hands to his lower right, megaphone on ground "Rah! Rah!"
3rd box: guy w/hands up, kicking to his right "Ziss! Boom! Bah!"
4th box: guy holding megaphone, walking away
Rosso60
All UP

Postby Nimrod. » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:48 pm

I am assuming its the same Coach Buck that was at Gwinn 7 on 7, am I right.

Im kind of leaning that was sense the camp was called Coach Buck's 2005 Camp...

That would mean he is about 101...

Wonder what happened against Saginaw...
Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.
Nimrod.
Yooper Freak

Must be the dad

Postby Rosso60 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:40 pm

Nimrod. wrote:I am assuming its the same Coach Buck that was at Gwinn 7 on 7, am I right.

Im kind of leaning that was sense the camp was called Coach Buck's 2005 Camp...

That would mean he is about 101...

Wonder what happened against Saginaw...

Shows ya what a man can do when ya take care of yourself :wink:

I figured it was his dad. But at first I thought the same thing-when you see the name "Carl -Buck- Nystrom". Was looking through so many didn't realize the year. Then I heard Mr Rudy Gagnon's (my old metal's teacher) voice in my head going "Duh!...You Finn!" ha ha.

If you guys get a chance, should see if they have microfilm on that Saginaw game from the newspaper. Marquette played Hancock Nov 11, 1922, so maybe go after that a week. Maybe there will be a write up on it- I don't know.

I thought it was neat a team could win a "County Championship" back then.

Also apparently a team was designated "U.P. Champions"

I also thought it was neat they played an "Alumni Team". I'd be up for that for a scrimmage-sign a waiver- but there would need to be a lot of us because we'd only be good a couple plays. (We get Coach Tiz)
Rosso60
All UP

1922 Cond't

Postby Rosso60 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:19 am

Page 95 1922

FOOTBALL RECORD 1922

September 16--Students trimmed alumni 19-0.- Nystrom, Dennett, Wilkins got over for points for M.H.S Dennett caught pass for first touchdown, the next was made by line plunges, Nystrom carrying the ball, the third by Wilkins, who intercepted a pass and ran sixty yards for a touchdown. A forward pass made the extra point.

September 23--Marquette defeated Newberry 6 to 0.Forward pass and run won game, which was marred by fumbling in the first half. The score was made in the second half by Wilkens, who ran around end for a touchdown.

September 30--Marquette 37, Ishpeming 0. Nystrom and Wilkins were the stars for the Red and White. Touchdowns made by Nystrom 4; Everson,1; Wilkins, 1; point after touchdown, Evensen, 1.

October 7-- Marquette defeated Negaunee 13 to 0. Nystrom starred. A stonewall defense and straight football won the game. Nystrom made the first touchdown, Beaudin the second. An outstanding feature of this game was excellent interference given Nystrom on his runs.

October 14--Marquette 30, Escanaba 0. M.H.S. aerial attack responsible for victory. Touchdowns-Nystrom 1, Beaudin 2, Eversen 1, Schneider 1. Escanaba, although it had a powerful team, could not score because our defense was too good. Chubb and Fritz gave no ground at guard and Carlson played a consistant game at center.

October 21--Marquette defeated Ishpeming second time, 33 to 0. This game was uninteresting as Marquette had a much better team, and Ishpeming did not have a chance to score. Touchdowns-Nystrom 2, Beaudin, Wilkins, Schneider, each one. Points after touchdowns, Evensen 3. All of our subs were used in the game.

October 28-- Marquette won county title game from Negaunee by score of 13 to 0. Negaunee started with a rush but was stopped on Marquette's twenty-yard line. Marquette then took the ball and marched over the Negaunee team to the county championship. Nystrom starred, playing the best game of his career. Fritz, at guard, had his ankle broken. Touchdowns-Nystrom and Evensen. Evensen, running at full speed and leaping into the air caught the ball and made our first score. Nystrom made the second on a line plunge from Negaunee's ten-yard line.

November 11--Marquette won the upper peninsula championship from Hancock, score 13 to 6. Earl Wilkins starred, running from the first scrimmage with the ball and racing eighty-five yards for a touchdown. Nystrom made the second on a plunge from Hancock's ten-yard line. Johnson, halfback of Hancock, behind splendid interference, was the first man to cross Marquette's goal line this year.

There was no write-up about the Saginaw game. I'm not sure how the format was to deceide these County Championship games and U.P. Championship games. Was it the sportswriters, going just off of records- win/loss, open dates to determine who played who-I don't know.

Also was it the U.P. Champion vs L.P. Champion?

The next post will be from the 1927 book- it appears Marquette would sink low after this season. I'll be posting a writeup from the tatler who addresses the football program & what's wrong with it back then. It appears Marquette Football has gone through this path a lot.
Rosso60
All UP

Nystrom Sr?

Postby Rosso60 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:50 pm

Very curious about something-

There used to be a elderly gentleman who used to attend Marquette Basketball games. He'd sit center of the stands-1st row-opposite of all the players.

I thought it was kind of neat to see someone that age support his alma mater.

I'm wondering if it was Coach Buck's dad????? He resembled Coach Buck. I'm not sure if anyone from Munising is reading this- who could ask Coach Nystrom if his dad attended Marquette Basketball games long after retirement? Just curious.
Rosso60
All UP

1927 Tatler

Postby Rosso60 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:40 pm

This was the season writeup from 1927, page 98. It has a photo (chest high & above of some guy- I don't know if he's a coach, player, the editor, or whoever.) It's titled "Season Writeup"

It reads:

For the past five years, football at Marquette High School has been at an extremely low ebb. This has been due to the failure of underclassmen, especially freshmen, to come out for practice and get experience.

Marquette teams, up to this time, have been made up largely of Seniors, the majority of whom had never had a football in their hands before the season started. They merely waited until their last year of high school, when, because of their weight and age, they had no difficulty in landing a position and keeping it.

Most of the others would immediately drop out, leaving probably 15 or 18 men to compose the entire squad for the remainder of the season. As a result, although usually comparing to very favorable with opponents in size and age, they were invariable outclassed and outplayed. In the past two years we have had numerable chances to score, but just at the psychological moment, something happened, "Old Lady Luck" went against us, and the chance was gone. Luck, however, had nothing to do with it. It was merely a case of a bunch of novices playing against a team of old heads who knew the game.

During the past year we have tried to correct this fault. With the help of
Bud Johnson, who acted as their coach, we succeeded in keeping about fourteen Freshmen out during most of the season. We were able to schedule only one game for them, but that was enough to show that we have some very promising material available for the next three years.

The same thing has been done for basketball, with even more stress being laid upon the training of the Freshmen.

Next year the results of this work perhaps will begin to be seen.

Note: This was from the 1927 Tatler. If you go back "5 Years"- it includes the Nystrom led '22 season. I don't think the author intended that.
Rosso60
All UP

1927 Tatler

Postby Rosso60 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:00 am

Driving on with the 1927 Tatler- Page 99

Note: I think many of you reading this are going to get a good grin on some of the game write ups- especially the Esky game!

The Football Team

Ends- Raymond Jackson, Kenneth Skilliter
Guards- John Johnson, Louis Pinard
Tackles- Robert Lyons, William Ensign
Center- Thorvald Sorenson
Halves- Clarance Bullock, John Kauppila
Fullback- Carl Bullock
Quarterback- Leo Carlson

Subs- John Schneider (FB) John Savola (HB) Leo Pinard (Guard) Dorieus Dorie (Guard) Norman Barry (End)

Football Record

The first game of the season was played September 18 with the Soo after having two weeks' practice. This was short notice for a big game, but our team showed more than two weeks practice.

In the Soo game our squad showed some real work which made them feel the necessity of pep in football and did their best in this line.

Negaunee, our next foe, cast her usual spell with the result of a 2-0 defeat for us. Near the close of the season they repeated the operation. May our team recover next year from this.

At Escanaba our team considered the lawn too nice to play on, being accustomed to play in dirt and muck. They really didn't know how to act on such a refined field. Of course, it rained, making the ball slippery, but our boys played well even if the score did not give this impression.

At Munising they managed to get above a zero in scoring and piled up two touchdowns. The runs of Kauppila were especially spectacular.

The last game of the season with Ishpeming was cancelled because of the Barnes-Hecker disaster there, and because of the prevalency of snow at this time.

Besides our big game we boasted and boosted a second team and freshman team. Games were scheduled with Negaunee, Ishpeming and L'Anse. These squads proved to be promising material for next year.

Our M.H.S. can justifiably feel proud of their teams though they played losing games in regard to scores throughout the season.

GAMES

Sept 18 Soo 12 Marquette 0
Sept 25 Negaunee 2 Marquette 0
Oct 2 Ishpeming 29 Marquette 0
Oct 9 Escanaba 26 Marquette 0
Oct 16 Negaunee 2 Marquette 0
Oct 23 Gladstone 26 Marquette 0
Oct 30 Munising 7 Marquette 14
Nov 6 Ishpeming Cancelled

Total.......................101 / 14

Note- On 3 Nov 1926, a wall gave way in a mine near Ishpeming which water/mud (quicksand) entombed 51 miners 1,000 feet below the surface. :( This disaster made the national news.

Source is on bottom of page 2 ("A Mining Tragedy") of http://www.michiganhistorymagazine.com/ ... napr05.pdf
Rosso60
All UP

Postby Rosso60 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:57 pm

From the 1939 Tatler (1938 season) page 59

Although football is not generally considered a winter sport, it does rank high in the popularity of its appeal to devotees of sport. By crowning themselves football champions of Marquette county for the second successive year, the Graveraet Gridders completed an unusually successful season.

By winning four out of five games the team showed great strength. Through brilliant strategy on defense as well as offense the Redmen totaled 128 points as compared to 46 for their opponents. In his two years at Graveraet, Coach Alton Kircher has had winning football teams.

In the first game of the season the Redmen defeated the Soo Blue Devils 6-0. Marquette scored in the third quarter when they blocked a punt and recovered on the two yard line. After several attempts to push the pigskin over the line, the Redmen made the only touchdown of the game.

On September 24 the Graveraet Gridders journeyed to Bessemer to receive their only setback of the season. Marquette did not have possession of the ball until Bessemer had scored. Line drives were tried in vain and Marquette opened up the last few minutes with an aerial attack which gained ground but was unsuccessful in scoring. Bessemer scored again in the second and fourth quarters and the game ended with a score of 21 to 0.

Marquette played a speedy and brilliant game against Ishpeming on October 1, and came out with a 45 to 19 victory. Ishpeming had a heavier line but it proved to be a disadvantage, because Marquette's ball carriers were too fast for them. The scoring was accomplished through tricky plays and long runs.

After a week of rest the Redmen repeated their earlier victory over the Hematites in the Ishpeming "Dust Bowl" 33 to 0. Ishpeming made several large gains by passes but at no time threatened to score. Marquette's running plays were stopped in the first few minutes of play so they took to the air and scored in the first quarter. The Redmen also scored once in the second quarter, twice in the third, and the scrubs, who took their turn at swallowing dust, scored in the last period.

(Page 60)

The game scheduled with Negaunee for October 22 was canceled because of 12 inches of snow which fell in Negaunee.

The Graveraet Gridders brought the season to a close with a smashing 44 to 6 victory over Gladstone. The Redmen scored on the opening kickoff and also in each period. Gladstone made their only touchdown late in the first period.

This marks the second successive season that Graveraet has been undefeated on its own field.

Robert Gelina, the force behind the offense attacks of Graveraet, was chosen a member of the all-Upper Peninsula Football Team by the Sports Writer's Association of the Upper Peninsula.

Graveraet High School was also favored in having two other members of the football team placed on the above list. Paul Carter, captain of the 1938 football team, and Keith Gilbert were selected for their outstanding abilities as carriers of the pigskins. Hats off to these three as well as the other players who helped make the year a success.

The cheer leaders who received M's in 1938-39 are: William Chapman, Carol Gingrass, Jane DeHaas, Annabelle Hoppe, and Glora Mae Eman.

The football players who received varsity letters are: Walter Akkala, Douglas Alexander, Owen J. Bennett, Paul Carter, Jack Frisk, Robert Gelina, Keith Gilbert, Ward Goodney, Warren Hultgren, William LaBonte, Robert Lindstrom, John Mukulich, Harris Miller, James Miller, Earl Normand, Herman Pantalone, Grant Perry, Robert Tonn, Sylvester Young, Flory Pompo (manager).

Summary of Games:

Marquette 6, Soo 0
Marquette 0, Bessemer 21
Marquette 45, Ishpeming 19
Marquette 33, Ishpeming 0
Marquette 44, Gladstone 6

Total 128 Total 46

Tentative 1939 Schedule

Sept 9 Stambaugh
Sept 16 Soo
Sept 23 Bessemer
Sept 30 Ishpeming
Oct 7 Gladstone
Oct 14 Munising
Oct 21 Negaunee
Oct 28 Menominee

Rosso60
All UP

Something else

Postby Rosso60 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:17 pm

Here's a paragraph from the above post (on bottom of page 60.)

"Hoops, my pal!" are the things to aim for in Basketball.

One of the most popular of indoor winter sports is basketball. As we look upon the Graveraet record, we see that the red and white enjoyed its most glorious basketball record in ten years, by copping the Class B District Championship. The Redmen were speedy, alert, and aggressive on offense; likewise Marquette's wall was almost impenetrable on the defense. They secured the right to compete for the Upper Peninsula Championship by beating a strong Soo quintet on March 11, at Ishpeming, to the tune of 33-21. The evening before Marquette had put Negaunee out of the race by a score of 25-20.

The Redmen enjoyed an enviable season with a record of 11 wins and 3 losses. Unfortunately this was their last season under the able coaching of Alton Kircher.
Rosso60
All UP

Postby Rosso60 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:49 pm

Jumping up to the 1943 Tatler. For the 1942 season. During this time, we were at war with the Axis Powers.

1942-43 Tatler Page 80

Red Gridders

Under the supervision of James Soli, newly appointed Graveraet coach, this year's football squad hit the grid turf for its first practice session on August 25 with an under average turnout of players.

After a few weeks of drilling and getting into shape, the 11 invaded Munising, where they wrestled to a 0-0 deadlock with the Mathers. The following week saw the Redmen journey to Newberry. The Red and Whites put on a good showing in offensive power, but the "celery eaters" were successful in hanging up a 12-12 tie with our huskies.

On September 26, the new field and stadium were dedicated with Ishpeming as Graveraet's No. 3 rival. The Hematites took advantage of a terrific rainstorm and blanked the newly-uniformed Reds for our initial defeat, 12-0.

In a new determine to win, the squad struggled desperately against Gladstone and Soo on home grounds, but failed in both attempts. The Delta County eleven tipped our boys by 20-13 and the Lock City invaders followed up with an exciting 14-7 decision.

Tired of being on the bottom of the score column too many times the Redmen met the Negaunee Miners and dished out a crushing defeat to the "up the roaders" in a 25-0 overthrow. In the final game of the season the team, bogged down by bad weather, bowed to Manistique 6-0.

Hampered by a lack of more players, the team nevertheless made a good name for Graveraet in its increasing attempts to crash into the winning column which it eventually did. Many of the squad were new, but their willingness to learn soon carved out a well-rounded team which developed perfect coordination and fine sportsmanship, the two main assets of any athletic outfit.

The team picture that 1942 season showed 18 total players- 15 present for the picture and 3 missing. I randomly photocopied this tatler- as the other during WW2 had similar seasons win-loss wise. Also they referred to the other schools in the same manner.

In the team photo, the helmets placed on the ground in the front row almost look like melons. Just a little wider at the ear. No mask. The helmets are white and at the very top is a dark circle (about 4 inches in diameter) and 8 (about 1 1/2 inch) stripes that run down around the helmet from the top.

Out of pure luck, in the team roster, is a ball player by the name of Bill Hart. Pretty sure he would be the one to go on and coach the Redmen for many years, and currently the football field at MSHS today is named after him.
Rosso60
All UP

Next

Return to Research and History