Old Marquette Redmen Info

Looking for all the information I can for this site. If you have some information you think others would enjoy, please post it.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Re: Old Marquette Redmen Info

Postby Hueby » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:08 am

Oct 10, 1949

There was a huge write up in the Mining Journal on the L'Anse win over the Crystal Falls Trojans, 18-13. The Trojans were coached by Gould Nicholls, who was a former Negaunee Miner standout.

What I would figure out, were the missing coverage weeks were Graveraet's games vs Sault Ste Marie and Gladstone. Graveraet would lose both those games. So at this time in the season the Redmen would be 2-2-1 in the Great Lakes Conference (3-2-1 overall).

Was curious to know what was going on in the sports world during 1949. Who the best teams were when this football season was going on. Going to wikipedia.com and the baseball-almanac sites, here's what happened:

Baseball

The N.Y. Yankees defeated the Brooklyn Dodgers 4 games to 1 to win the World Series.

The American League won the All-Star game 11-7. What was historic about the game, was it was the first time black players were selected to the All-Star game. The National League had Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella and Don Newcombe.

For the American League, Larry Doby. The A.L's big batter for the game was Joe DiMaggio of the Yankees. DiMaggio had been injured and was a non-contender in the fan balloting. He would be selected to the team as a reserve by the manager.

In the MLB Hall of Fame voting, a run-off was needed and Detroit Tiger's Charlie Gehringer was selected.
The Old-Timers Committee elected Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown and Kid Nichols. Brown got the nickname "Three Finger" from farm machine accidents he suffered as a boy, losing parts of two fingers on his right hand (which he pitched with). Because of this, he had a pretty wicked curveball. He also had an outstanding pitching career. There are photos of his pitching hand on wikipedia. (It's nasty- worse than Larry McCarren!)

Basketball

The Basketball Association of America (BAA) & the National Basketball League (NBL) merge to become the NBA. In 1949, the Minneapolis Lakers won the BAA title. Here's some trivia- the original franchise was the Detroit Gems ('46 to '47). So early in their history they moved from Detroit to Minneapolis, where because of the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" became the Lakers. In 1960 they moved to ....Los Angeles. This is how they became the L.A. Lakers. (Never knew that!)

Kentucky, coached by Adolph Rupp, won the NCAA championship over Oklahoma A & M.

Hockey

In the NHL, Toronto swept the Detroit Red Wings 4-0. Boston College won the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Championship.

In the 1949 World Hockey Championship held in Stockholm, Sweden, Canada defeated Denmark 47-0!

Football

The Philadelphis Eagles defeated the L.A. Rams 14-0 for the NFL Championship, while in the "All-American Football Conference" the Cleveland Browns defeated the San Francisco 49er's 21-7. Afterwards, Cleveland, San Francisco, and the original Baltimore Colts would join the NFL for the 1950 season. Notre Dame were the NCAA National Champions in football.

Next posts for 1949 is the Graveraet/Negaunee series.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:05 am

Oct 13, 1949

Article on the upcoming Negaunee/Graveraet rivalry. Negaunee wants to run their win streak against the Redmen to 3 games. Graveraet hadn't won since a 14-0 win back in 1944. (Sounds like some tied games in '45 & '46?) But one had to go back to 1941 when that was the last time the Redmen won on Negaunee soil, 18-7.

Write up mentions "..past performances mean nothing when Negaunee and Marquette play each other."

The Graveraet ranks were depleted with injuries. A good number of the key Redmen players were playing hurt and/or injured. Some were out for the season, some sick, one might play "...if the swelling goes down."

I remember reading some comments by the Negaunee coach. There was some "concern" in Negaunee that the Miners could have a losing season. The Negaunee coach, Oscar Wassberg, spoke of how if they could take advantage of the Redmen being injured, and then defeat Calumet they could avoid having a losing season. He pretty much came out and said Calumet wasn't very good.

Note: That Negaunee/Calumet game was posted in this section.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:08 am

Oct 15, 1949

The Redmen won the "Mythical County Title" by defeating Negaunee 19-13 in front of a capacity crowd in Negaunee. Graveraet was up 19-0 in the 3rd when Negaunee got some sharp passes and running by Clarance Rivers to cut into the lead.

Am almost done with 1949, but in a "Lesson Learned" from last season, will finish posting this after the high school football playoffs are finished here in Wisconsin and Michigan. I had this all typed up months ago, just need to "cut and paste."

Left for 1949 to post are the Manistique/Graveraet game, a write-up on the U.P. football season going into the final 9th week, a Marquette J.D. Pierce season summary write-up, and an article on Graveraet's junior FB/DB Carl "Buck" Nystrom.

While we'll be stressing out (but enjoying 8) ) the WIAA playoffs here, wanted to wish the best to all the U.P. football teams.

And a special "Good Luck" to the 2010 MSHS Redmen football team...Hope you all take advantage of this wonderful opportunity you have to make Redmen history. Enjoy every moment of it!
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:49 pm

Would like to congratulate all the U.P. football teams - players, coaches, parents and fans, etc on the outstanding season! It was a pleasure to see many of the teams in the playoffs on the internet-both live and replay.

And especially to the 2010 Marquette Redmen Football Team on an Outstanding Season. I hope this can be a yearly thing..... maybe? :mrgreen:

I just had a few more posts to go and then will be done with that 1949 season. The next post was from the Graveraet/Manistique game. I did edit out parts of it because as you will see it was one of the longer ones I had copied.

Again, hope you all notice the different wording....
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 pm

Oct 22, 1949

Parent Stars In 27-13 Win Over 'Stique

Marquette rang down the curtain on its 1949 season in a blaze of glory and a sea of mud....

The victory, played in a driving rain for over three quarters gave the Redmen a season record of five wins, two losses and a tie-the best fashioned by the Graveraet gridders since 1941 when they won six and lost two.

Captain Bob Parent was the outstanding player, scoring two touchdowns on runs of 20 and 40 yards, adding an extra point and gaining 171 yards from scrimmage- the best single game performance by a Red back all year. He walked away with the individual scoring for the year racking up 47 points on seven TD's and five-extra points.

Graveraet's entire team played well with all the seniors seeing action as Graveraet clinched third place in the Great Lakes conference.

Frank Young scored the first six points in the opening quarter on a pass play that left him wide in the open to take Buck Nystrom's aerial on the seven to go in standing up. The play covered 21 yards. Dave Guilland carried an end around for the third Graveraet TD from the four as Marquette tallied in every quarter.

Buck blocked Hartman's punt and recovered on the 24. In two plays it was 6-0 as Parent went off tackle for three and Buck passed to Young for the marker. The ends criss-crossed on the play and there wasn't a man within 10 yards of Young when he caught the pass. Consani hit left tackle for the extra point.

After receiving, a penalty and two line plays gave Manistique a first down on its 47 and Ekdahl tossed a long pass that Petros got in front of, but the wet leather slipped through Steve's hands into the waiting arms of Jack Minor on the 25. Minor outraced Buck Nystrom for the TD so quickly that fans hardly knew what happened. Ekdahl went through guard to make it 7-7.

Marquette came right back to the Emeralds 26 where penalties set the Reds back, Consani getting a good kick off that went out of bounds at the 'Stiques five yard line. A line play netted nothing as the quarter ended.

Hartman broke through center from a fake punt formation and reached his 29, where Petros hit him hard causing a fumble, Consani recovering. A clipping penalty set the Redmen back once more, but runs by Parent and Petros plus a tricky pass-double lateral play placed the ball on the 20.

Parent then went through guard and was over to put the Redmen into a lead they never relinquished. Petros' attempt at the line for the extra point was no good.

71-Yard March by Reds

Rain stopped during the halftime rest period and the Red ground offensive went into full swing as soon as the period opened. Parent took the kickoff back to his 29 and Marquette proceeded to march 71 yards in 13 plays for the TD. Parent and Petro ate up most of the yardage with Bob Redman hurling perfect passes that were gathered in by Young and Parent for gains of 10 and 19 yards.

Whatever part of the 'Stique line the Redmen tried yielding, Guilland scoring from the four on an end around that had the defenders completly fooled. Parent crashed off tackle to raise the count to 20-7.

Marquette's joy was short-lived as the Emeralds returned the kickoff to their 32 and on the first play Ekdahl passed deep to the right, Schultz taking it on the Red 46, getting loose from one tackler and outrunning Marquette's secondary to score. Lancour's plunge for the extra point failed.

After Consani kicked, The Emeralds took to the air and Consani intercepted.Burnis' pass on the 45 returning to the opponents 49. Parent and Consani reached the 40 and Parent slipped through tackle, faked three runners and scored going away. Redman passed over center to Bill Pruess for the final point.

In the preliminary game, the "Green Jersies" and the "Red Jersies" of Howard junior high school played to a scoreless tie.

**************************************************************************************************************************************
More notes:

In the next column were game statistics between the two schools. Total yards, yards rushing, yards passing, first downs, first downs by rushing, passing and by penalties, pass attempts, punts, yards returned, etc. These stats you don't see much today in a high school football article.

Then there were detailed individual stats on both schools' rushing, receiving and passing. Then the starting lineups were printed. In Graveraet's case it went like this:

Starting Lineups; Marquette -- LE, Guilland; LT, N. Nystrom; LG, Bowers; C, Consani; RG, Nelson; RT, Culver; RE, Young; QB, Redman; LHB, Petros; RHB, Parent; F, C. Nystrom

I can't make out many of Manistique's starting lineup, but can tell there's "Rubick at left end".

The next paragraph lists all the substitutions. Using my notes from other games I was able to figure out most of the subs for Graveraet: Kramer, Newman, Pruess, Ruston, Howe, Stroh, Ward, Cole, Quinell, Rushford, Weston, and one I can't make out the name.

Manistique had eight subs.

Then here's something you'll never see today. It lists "Offsides" and who those players were! :P

There may have been more to the stat portion, because usually near the very end the paper listed the refs by name and what town they were from.

Couple more to go!....
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:40 pm

October 21, 1949

Football Fades From U.P. High School Sports Picture

Upper Peninsula high school football teams prepare for their final games this weekend with the exception of one contest on Nov 4--Class B leading Newberry at Petosky

Traditional clashes Saturday will pit Marinette at Menominee, Gladstone at Escanaba, Kingsford at Iron Mountain and Hancock at Houghton.

Marinette, undefeated in seven games and perhaps the top team in Wisconsin, will be favored to down the unpredectible Maroons while the Gladstone-Escanaba frey will be a toss-up this year after Escanaba's lopsided 54-0 win in 1948.

The Braves, under Coach Don Pfotenhauer, former Escanaba star, will be out to gain revenge from last year's drubbing and will be tough to beat, sporting a record of six wins and only one loss. All indications point to a real battle between the Delta county rivals.

Kingsford will be out for its third win over hot and cold Iron Mountain. Friday the Flivvers downed Norway, 10-7, on a 28 yard field goal by Guard Lyle Reiten. It was the first field goal in the Upper Peninsula this year. Reiten's placekick came in the 3rd quarter and broke a 7-7 deadlock.

U.P. round up:

Class B

Newberry 5-0-1
Ironwood 3-1-0
* Marquette 5-2-1
* Iron River 5-2-0
Menominee 4-2-0
Escanaba 4-2-0
* Ishpeming 4-4-0
Iron Mountain 2-3-1
Soo 2-4-1
Stephenson 1-2
* Manistique 2-6
Kingsford 1-5
Calumet 0-5-1

Class C

* Stambaugh 7-0
* Wakefield
Gladstone 6-1
* L'Anse 6-1
* Norway 4-2-1
* Crystal Falls 3-3
Hancock 3-3-1
* Ontonagon 3-3
* Negaunee 3-5
* Bessemer 2-4
* Munising 2-5-1
St. Joseph 1-4
* Lake Linden 1-5
Houghton 1-6
* Baraga 1-6

Class D

John D. Pierce 0-5

Interstate Games

Marinette (Wis) 7-0
Newberry 6-0-1
Iron River 6-2
Menominee 5-2
* Norway 5-2-1
Stephenson 4-2
Lourdee 4-2-1
Ironwood 4-3
Escanaba 4-3
* Ontonagon 4-3
Iron Mountain 3-3-1
Soo 3-4-1
Kingsford 3-5
St. Joseph 1-6
Calumet 0-6-1

*--Completed Schedule

Friday's Schedule

Ironwood at Calumet
Marquette B at John D. Pierce
Alpena at Soo (N)
St. Joseph at Stephenson

Saturday

Marinette at Menominee
Gladstone at Escanaba
Lourdee (Wis) at Peshtigo (Wis)
Kingsford at Iron Mountain
Hancock at Houghton
Medford (Wis) at Hurley (Wis)
DePadua (Ashland) at Bessemer (N)

Last Week's Scores

Menominee 16, Soo 0
Marquette 27, Manistique 12
Negaunee 18, Calumet 6
Stambaugh 24, Ishpeming 0
Kingsford 10, Norway 7
Marinette 26, Escanaba 7
Negaunee B 13, John D. Pierce 7
Iron River 20, Iron Mountain 12
Crystal Falls 32, Niagra 7
Wakefield 14, Hancock 13
Ashland 7, Bessemer 0
Hurley 27, Superior Central 20
Gladstone 20, Stephenson 13
Newberry 63, Canadian Soo 0
Munising 14, St. Joe 0
Ontonagon 12, Lake Linden 6 [or 0- bad copy]
L'Anse 44, Houghton 6
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:56 pm

Note: Somehow the other night I came across NMU's current basketball roster. I was reading some of the player's bio's, when I read one of the players who was from Marquette (Spencer Huss). In his bio it mentioned his grandfather- Stan Whitman, played both football and basketball for NMU from 1947 to 1950.

The name "Stan Whitman" rung a bell with me but I couldn't remember exactly where I heard the name. Then sure enough, as I was finishing up this research on 1949 his name came up in what I will post here.

At this time in 1949, Stan Whitman was also the football coach for J.D. Pierce. So it appears J.D. Pierce was also a "training school" for coaching, as well as teaching.

I also noticed there is a scholarship set up in the name of Stan Whitman. Anyways, here it is....

Oct 27, 1949

Pierce Ends Grid Season Tomorrow

It will be a long winter for the John D. Pierce gridders if they don't win one game this season. They'll get their last chance against the Marquette freshman-sophomore team on Memorial field at 8 tomorrow night in the second meeting of the two clubs.

Coach Paul Kotila's frosh-soph team holds a 7-6 decision over the training school "11". Since that time Pierce lost to Baraga 28-6; Rock 38-6 and Negaunee's B team 13-6 and the Manistique reserves, 12-6.

Blocking, Tackling Up

Both squads have been drilling hard on blocking this week, Coach Stan Whitman's outfit turned in one of its better performances against the Negaunee Bees as far as blocking and tackling goes, but mental mistakes cost them the game after leading 7-6 late in the fourth quarter.

Quarterback Ray Nevala has been one of the most consistent performers in the backfield. He has been gaining ground on his sneaks through the line, tackles hard and is one of the most fearless players on the squad. He'll bear watching tomorrow night.

Guard Henry Maythew is on the injured list with a broken finger he received in the Rock game--yet he played a lot of ball against Negaunee before finding out he had a fractured digit.

Starting lineup for Pierce; left end Francis Fairbanks; left tackle Don Knight; left guard Jim Ollila; center Beaudry; right guard Allan Skiver; right tackle Dan Kreig; right end, Jim Retaski; quarterback, Ray Nevala; left halfback, "Dodo" Carlton (CoC); right halfback, Bruce Tervala and fullback, Joe Rivard.

Boesler To Play

Halfback Teddy Boesler is also expected to see plenty of action. Boesler is a dangerous man once past the line of scrimmage, but has had trouble breaking away this year.

"My boys really want to win this game," Whitman said. They've made mistakes in the past, but I think they have profited by them."

For the Redmen, the contest.....

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Note: [this is where the article was cut off. Another Note, JD Pierce would defeat the Graveraet B squad 19-12 in their final game of 1949]

Again- to summarize- J.D. Pierce 1949 season (1 win, 5 losses):

Graveraet B Team- Lost 7-6
Baraga- Lost 28-6
Rock- Lost 38-6
Negaunee B Team- Lost 13-6
Manistique B Team- Lost 12-6
Graveraet B Team- Won 19-12
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:33 am

Well it's been fun. Thanks to up-football and the mods for letting me add on to this thread. Don't know if I'll ever continue to add, or in the future just start a new one (Or do anything at all). It was really fun to use the newspapers because it gave a little wider view of more of the football teams in the U.P.

Here's a little trivia- back in 1949 about this time of the year in December, do you all know what song was at the top of the charts?...This is "No Bull". It's a song that has lasted year after year, generation to generation. I remember all the kids at Silver Creek Elementary school singing it over and over :lol: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8L_ZK2O ... re=related

Anyway, finishing up 1949 for the Graveraet Redmen:

Buck Nystrom Honored By Teammates

Carl (Buck) Nystrom, junior fullback, was elected "most valuable player" by the Marquette Redmen for this season.

Nystrom, who is also a basketball and tennis star (he's Marquette's intermediate champion) was known for his deadly tackling while backing up the line.

Perhaps the best defensive back in the Upper Peninsula, Buck also was no slouch carrying the ball, as evidenced by the 241 yards he gained in 75 attempts--an average of 3.2 yards a try. The five foot nine inch 144 pound gridder is also a savage blocker--often clearing wide paths for other Graveraet backs to pour through.

Now that the Redmen's football season is over, Buck will concentrate on basketball during the winter months and tennis in the spring.

Tonight the varsity squad and their fathers will be guests at a dinner at the Marquette club and afterwards will be guests at the Delft Theater.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Rosso60 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:14 pm

Just wanted to say I had to go back to edit some errors. Some of the language is more correct. Am in the process of writing about another season from long ago I hope many of you will really enjoy (may just start a new thread).
Rosso60
All UP

Postby McConnell » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:23 pm

I've really enjoyed finding this site and being reminded of the excellence we achieved on the gridiron.
All of that helped me to work hard after high school and till today. I would like to share my recollections and see if anyone is interested.

1. In one of the rosters listed on this site, I see "Dave McConnell" listed.
2. Dave was my older brother and ran Cross Country: I am Mark McConnell and played 36 games at MSHS
3. 8-1 as Freshmen, 7-2 as Sophomores, 9-0 as Juniors, and 8-1 as Seniors
4. Of course John McCormick and Bob Greet got pulled up to Varsity when we were sophomores...that's why we lost 2 games
5. Our Freshman year, Jon Peterson was our coach and we got SMOKED by Gladstone in our first game. They ran the opening kick-off back for a TD and we never knew what hit us.
6. But for some reason, we played Gladstone ("Happy Rock") TWICE that year and throttled them the second time around.
7. Coach Peterson had some choice words for us at half-time: "You eat your chicken-salad sandwiches...but you played like chicken-sh*t!" What a guy!

Then the 1975 season which is well chronicled: I have old mining journal photos and clippings if anyone wants. Schrolec changed the school colors from Red and White to Red and Grey and we were made to believe we were the Buckeyes even though so many of us were UofM fans.

I have two Todd Krueger stories.
We were waiting for the guard to bring in the play.
He did. It was probably Jimmy Erickson (probably the TOUGHEST guy I knew).
Coach Schrolec kept yelling the play. OVER and OVER. From the sideline.
Everyone on the field....our team, the opposing team, heck..everyone in the bleachers...knew the play!
It didn't matter...it was going to be John McCormick running through the A-gap....as always!

Todd finally had it...turned from the huddle...cupped his hands and yelled at coach: "I KNOW!!!".
I laughed so hard I don't know HOW I ever snapped the ball!

On another occasion, we were stalled on our 40 yard line. 4th and long.
Punt formation.
I HATED long snapping worried all the time that I'd screw things up (I often did).
Todd took the snap and lofted a pathetic punt almost LATERALLY!.
Net gain of 5 yards on the punt...it went out of bounds at our 45.

Schrolec was seathing....a frothy foam on his upper lip as we ran to the sideline.
He grabbed Todd's facemask and asked (I'll paraphrase) "What were you doing???"

Todd's answer? "I was aiming for the coffin corner".
I actually thought Coach's head was going to EXPLODE right there and then.

Sure, we still won the game...we won EVERY game that year....but in retrospect, it was HILARIOUS watching Todd and Coach!

I have now been a medical doctor for 30 years and I think that other than my dad, having played for the GREATEST MSHS Football teams (75 and 76) taught me lessons about how to work hard, sacrifice for the greater good, and be a good team player.
Best to all,
Mark McConnell, MD
MSHS 1977
McConnell
New to Board

Previous

Return to Research and History