Old Marquette Redmen Info

Looking for all the information I can for this site. If you have some information you think others would enjoy, please post it.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Re: Old Marquette Redmen Info

Postby Hueby » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:12 am

McConnell wrote:It was Mark McConnell on the 75-76 teams...not Dave.
I happen to know that because I am "Mark" :)

Cheers!

Fixed. Thanks for the correction...and for playing football for the Redmen!
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:45 am

I have pretty much finished my research on the Graveraet Redmen 1949 football season. I'm just waiting on some verification of the contents and then I'll get it posted. I hope many of you find it interesting.

At the college level, here's a short 49 second video of college football in 1949 (back then many teams ran out of the "T" formation and the single wing):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1TMhhZVR9o

In the meantime, for fun I thought some might like this....especially the current Redmen football players. Maybe get a kick out of how the youth football program used to be.

Back in the late 80's the Marquette Public School System faced some difficult decisions and had these huge budget cuts. I don't know the details of the cuts, but have been told by some that the middle school football programs at both Bothwell and Graveraet were eliminated.

I thought I would share some information on those football programs. I'm pretty sure some of the other youth programs were eventually effected, so I'll tell a little about those.

I'll also throw in some of what I experienced- hopefully to add something we could all relate to.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:58 pm

Back in the 70's here were the athletic programs offered in middle school: In the fall it was boy's football and girl's basketball. In the winter boy's basketball and girl's gymnastics. In the spring both boy's and girl's track.

In both boy's and girl's basketball, both middle schools had 7th & 8th grade teams. At Bothwell they had try-outs and made cuts. My last year in middle school they started a 6th grade team. What was neat in basketball for example, at each grade you had a team from Bothwell, Graveraet, Gwinn, Negaunee, Ishpeming and Westwood. You played each other twice-one home and one away.

It was a pretty competitive league. I'm guessing budget cuts stopped this program. I don't know if because of the cuts MSHS basketball went through a down period also. (This was before AAU programs hit Marquette)

Anyway, for those who tried out and got cut from basketball, they offered intramurals. Before the 6th graders had a team, they had 6th grade intramural basketball and an 8th grader who made the 8th grade team was your coach.

In my past posts I mentioned the McCormick brothers. The youngest brother- Tom- was our teams 8th grade basketball coach when we were 6th graders. Besides giving the 8th graders a little coaching experience, looking back I think that was a neat concept. A way for the younger players to get to know the older players. Today Tom McCormick coaches sports over at Wausau East (WI).

For those who got cut in basketball, it could be pretty painful. I was one of those kids who experienced getting cut. I still remember the 7th grade coach telling everybody before the team was selected "You don't just pick up a basketball before tryouts start and expect to do good, you have to work at it during the off season."

Like in travel hockey, maybe cuts force kids to specialize, I don't know.

And all the teams played to win, so playing time wasn't fair. Not saying that's right or wrong. That was just how things were in middle school basketball back then.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:55 pm

Ok, turning to football, this was how the youth football program worked in Marquette back in the 70's. Graveraet Middle School mirrored Bothwell Middle School, so I will just go off my experience at Bothwell.

I remember football didn't start until around late September. I can't remember how long the program lasted- I think about 4-5 weeks. At Bothwell we had 3 teams. The teams were combined 7th and 8th graders. Like today, there could be a huge maturity difference between some of the 7th graders and 8th graders.

The coaches were Bothwell teachers. The teams were named after the coaches. When I was in 7th grade, our teams were Demboski, Contois and Buzzo. In 8th grade, Contois didn't coach but we had Kotila step up to help.

Not knowing the behind the scenes stuff, looking back, basically the money involved was paying the teachers. There was an activities bus that drove the students home afterwards. So it was a matter of paying the 3 teachers and the cost of the bus drivers/extra bus run. There were probably some other expenses I'm not aware of.

We did have some kids from Bishop Baraga join our program. About 2 or 3. They always came running down to the practice field while we were warming up.

The equipment and uniforms were old hand me downs from the high school program. We had the old white helmets. Our jerseys were the heavy practice shirts. Absolutely nothing fancy- but we didn't care. No uniform numbers or special designs. When we played each other, one team wore mesh vests.

When I was in 7th grade, I was one of the few kids who got stuck with a really old helmet from the '50's- the ones that stuck out around the side of the head over the ears. For the first couple days of football, a couple of the older kids who I didn't know would laugh out loud at me and call me "Egg Head" because of the helmet. They tried getting others to call me that but no luck.

Sometimes I felt like quitting football, because it would have been better than being ridiculed. But I knew both my parents would never allow me to quit. Kids were mean at Bothwell back then. You could either get into a fight and get suspended, or you had to learn to ignore the teasing. Because when kids learned how to get under your skin, they would continue to do it.

My dad had always told me in life you're going to meet a lot of people who always need to "cut other people down in order to build themselves up." With that, I ignored the two and it worked.

Guess they deceided to get down to more important things-like learning football.

I think it's better today, as back then there was a lot of bullying and fist fights. But I wanted to share a little on the culture of the school. Hopefully these days as the enrollment drops, the kids become "closer."

In the "horse play department" the one thing kids loved to do back then was before the practices started, one kid would start talking to another. Someone would sneak up behind the player being talked to and get down on all fours. Then the player doing the distracting would suddenly shove the other guy, and he would fall backwards over the player on all fours and hit the ground hard. It got to the point whenever someone talked to you, you started watching behind you.

The beginning weeks were all conditioning and skill/positional work. They weren't super strict on the fundamentals. I remember throughout the season guys getting into their stance with their knees cocked inward, guys with their butts really high, some really low, some squatting like frogs, some with their left arms cocked out and/or high, toes outwards, toes inwards, head down, etc- you name it.

To be continued...
Hueby
All UP

Postby upfootball » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:35 pm

Wish I had one of you for each school Hueby. Good stuff.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Hueby » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:06 am

upfootball wrote:Wish I had one of you for each school Hueby. Good stuff.

Hope many like this. Also hope people don't think I'm some guy living in the past :P Absolutely not. All this is just for fun and maybe we can learn from things. Maybe understand the "Hows and Whys"

I got a little side-tracked on this middle school program, because initially I wanted to offer an apology. I don't remember if I mentioned this in the thread, but there was a former football coach who approved cutting this program (He must have been in some key position?). I don't know what type of feeder program MSHS football had there for awhile-if any at all!

Based on the info I learned, it seemed these cuts in the late 80's really hit home in the early '90's. That's when the bleeding started. With the exception of a few classes (group of kids) here and there- nothing sustained. I know MSHS was never a "football powerhouse", but for the most part respected and competitive.

Then the "Thank You" I wanted to send out was to then MSHS coach Brad Grayvold. He started the ball rolling (as I understand- it's hard to get info when many didn't show a concern) by bringing in Pop Warner. Eventually the feeder program changed to the youth football as it is today.

Actually a "Thank You" to everyone up there that has helped keep football going up there over the years (Players, parents, coaches, businesses, waterboys, etc)
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:14 am

Here was the continuation.....

We learned the varsity's system and terminology. I remember being up in the sports deck getting chalk board classes on it. The varsity high school coach that year was Coach Fran L'Huillier. To this day I still remember Demboski getting up there and teaching us the numbering system and of certain offensive formations. Looking back, it was a good idea.

In 7th grade I do remember a visit by the Coach L'Huillier. We were excited when he stood on the sidelines to watch a game. Just having them show up and watch meant a lot to us.

My 8th grade year (with a better helmet) was when Coach Mike Mileski took over at the varsity level. Being a lineman I don't remember if we learned how to run option plays-which was being implemented at the high school. Defense was the same.

After the first couple weeks, the teams were selected & posted in the locker room. The coaches split the talent among the teams, as even as possible. Which explains why the games were very hard fought and close. Each team had about 23 players-somewhere in that ball park. One team photo I looked back on had like 14 eighth graders and 7 seventh graders, etc because it was all ability and not all by grade.

Unlike the basketball programs where the middle schools in Marquette County played each other, football was more internal. The Bothwell teams played Bothwell teams. Same over at Graveraet. I can't remember if we played each other just once or twice. Our games were played right on the practice fields at the Bothwell. The coaches served as the refs. The fields had been chalked out. I don't remember how we worked a chain gang. We had no goal posts- so we didn't kick field goals or extra points.

In 8th grade I remember the MSHS freshman coach who came to visit us- who at the time was Coach Mike Fedrizzi. I want to say Fedrizzi came from West Iron County and played for NMU as a punter. I believe he was the punter for that '75 National Championship team.

Again, it was neat for us to have a high school coach show interest in us. Most of us had no idea whether the teams at the high school level were good or bad or what.

Unlike in 7th grade, my 8th grade year they started to spice things up. At the end of the season we played Graveraet! Both schools formed an "A" team (mainly 8th graders & the best 7th graders) and a "B" team ( the second string players-a few 8th and rest 7th graders). We were really fired up to play Graveraet!!! Our rally cry was "There was little fighting and vandalism at Graveraet" ha ha ha
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:56 pm

A few years later the "powers to be" tried to keep improving things. I do remember when I was in high school one year the Graveraet and Bothwell 8th graders joined forces and scrimmaged the MSHS freshman team on the MSHS practice field. It may have just been the Frosh team backups vs the combined 8th grade schools- I'm not sure. But I remember we were doing pre-game on the playing field and we all heard this yelling and cheering. We all turned back to look on the practice field as this 8th grader ran like 75yds for a TD.

Then some time later another long TD run....then next drive another long TD run....We all thought it was neat seeing all that enthusiasm.

But it was the first step in getting players at that level exposed to the high school level. I remember at Bothwell Coach Buzzo dedicating so much time to the program he eventually was moved up to coach at the Frosh level. I remember a few years after our class graduated the MSHS football program had a lot of turbulance with coaches moving around, coming and going. It was good to have people like Coach Buzzo in the system to step in.

Overall, looking back, I remember the coaches at Bothwell made it fun. I remember some practices playing "Bull in the Ring" where we all formed a big circle, shoulder to shoulder while on our knees. The coach would call out a player to the center of the circle and give him the football. The "Bull in the Ring" then had to pick some players to run through & try to break out of the ring.

One fun memory was at the end of practice, we were tortured doing "leg lifts." I remember when it got to the point where everybody was screaming in pain to keep our legs about 6 inches off the ground. When we were exausted and couldn't keep our legs up, we'd have to start punching our stomachs. I just remember everybody screaming in agony. Guess to me it was funny listening to this one guy who had this "high pitch" scream.

One of my personal favorite memories of the program was in 8th grade. We played a game in a blinding snow storm. Each half was played around midfield. After each opening half kick-off (which was a short kick because well, we just plain sucked at kicking) we just went back and fourth in the same area of the field. I remember some fumbles and it was difficult to throw, so both teams just ran. Both teams just ran a lot of ice plays and I have memories of big pile ups in the snow. No team punted because we were always a yard or two from a first down. The game ended in a 0-0 tie.

This was the program that was eventually cut from the school budget.

I'm sure the feeder program today has more benefits to it. Games I understand are played on the high school field and a game in the dome. Players get good uniforms, individual and team photos, maybe some press/media exposure, probably a scoreboard, maybe their name over a PA system and better practice equipment.

Because our program was held right after school, no parents or anybody watched us play. Maybe this was good? I'm not sure. But then again, like I mentioned in the baseball portion, most parents didn't attend too many of our sporting events.

By today's standards, maybe this wasn't much of a program. But we didn't care. We were kids at heart... to us it was football!!! We loved playing against each other, as it was fun to talk about it the next day at school.

I hope this post helps us all to reflect back to our early years of football and what brought us to the game to begin with. Hope everyone had a fun and positive experience and many fond memories.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:03 pm

What I would like to do is follow through with that middle school program, and take you all through our "numbers" at MSHS after middle school. Seems many out there are interested in numbers, so it got myself curious. Just wanted to create a profile here and while at it, share some football history on our coaches (Then we'll get to the 1949 season). Please keep in mind this was our situation when we grew up in Marquette back then.

Personally, I don't like to compare the football program back then with how things are today. Back then, we didn't have a "6 and you're in" playoff system. I don't know if this playoff format would have generated community interest in our day, we don't know.

.....But I do know that ONLY YOU can prevent forest fires! :P

The numbers from 8th grade to 9th grade:

All the numbers are not exact, but close...

In 8th grade, we had about 274 kids in our class at Bothwell. 141 were boys. 32 played football. For the Bothwell middle school program that year, Combined 7th and 8th graders: 480 students, 239 were boys, of which 65 participated in football.

For the most part, Bothwell and Graveraet were pretty much in the same ball park enrollment wise. So in theory as our class was entering our freshmen year, and hoping no one quit football, one would be looking at roughly 64 kids- about 32 boys from each school. And say we lost like, 14-20 who didn't come out our Frosh year. Most teams from a school that size would realistically have around 45-50 frosh out, correct?

Remember, football now will start in August with 2 a day practices. A few players would quit, but when all was said and done you know how many frosh we had in our class who would letter in football?.....26. One would be moved up to the JV's, so our Frosh team had 25 players. Six came from Graveraet and 20 (including the one moved up) of us came from Bothwell.

Of the 20 from Bothwell, 5 came out for football for the first time ever! Somewhere and for some reason, we had a high attrition rate from middle school to high school.

Our Coaches

For our class, our freshmen football coaches were head coach Jim Bonetti and assistant Matt Petr. I knew Coach Bonetti played football at Ishpeming and was a member of their '75 State Championship team. Coach Petr played at Gladstone. Both earned All-U.P. status as players. We didn't know this at the time- I found their names on this site.

We really enjoyed playing for both coaches! They both seemed to know when to mix in some fun with hard work. I don't know who Coach Petr played for at Gladstone, but Coach Bonetti played for Coach Mileski at Ishpeming. Remember on this topic when I wrote of former Redmen Jim McCormick as our baseball coach? What I find interesting is both Bonetti and McCormick played for tough, very intense, defensive minded football coaches. Yet both Bonetti and McCormick were similar in the way they treated us and coached us as kids.

Coaches Bonetti and Petr were very professional! Both coaches laid the foundation for us what football was all about.

What we learned from them:

Football was all about HEART. It was also important to have "quick feet." I remember the one thing Coach Bonetti always stressed to us, was the mental aspect of football. He believed no matter how tired or hurt you were as a player, you could overcome that obstacle from a mental standpoint. How important it was to always be mentally prepared.

Some favorite memories:

During our summer two a days, two of Coach Bonetti's high school teammates were playing college football at NMU. Together the 2 ran a lot of sprints and ran up the hills along the freshman practice field. I think "The light went on" when we saw this- how important it for teammates to get together in the off season. They would be soaked in sweat like us players were. Those players were both entering their senior seasons playing for the NMU Wildcats- they were Mark Marana and Mike Dellangelo. I guess you could say we had an Ishpeming influence.

I remember at our request, Mike Dellangelo would show us game film of Ishpeming's win over Hudson in that '75 Championship game. While watching the film, we witnessed and learned the importance of "Execution."

A little more trivia: a couple years later Dellangelo would coach the MSHS freshmen team. I know that class enjoyed him as a coach.

Coach Bonetti also had Marana and Dellangelo run some drills for our team. So I guess unofficially, their first coaching experience was at MSHS....I hope they don't get tarred and feathered for me posting this! Especially Coach Marana at Negaunee!!! :P But when they played at NMU and I listened to the away games on the radio, I was always anxious to hear their names and excited for them when they made big plays!

To this day when I see the hill at MSHS, I think of those two running sprints up it....plus I think every manager who lugged and struggled to bring up the water buckets up those hills & that alumni who stuck his foot in the water bucket ha ha ha!

If Matt Petr represented what the Gladstone football program produced, they have a lot to be proud of!!! I would like to thank coaches Jim Bonetti and Matt Petr for coaching us at MSHS!!!

On to our numbers at the JV level.....And more Class A enrollment theories that don't work! ha ha just kiddin'... ha ha ha....
Last edited by Hueby on Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:05 pm

P.S.- the frosh numbers did get better after us. The class after us had around 33, and by the time we were seniors the freshmen team had around 45. So the participation was getting better.

Plus they were also much, much better looking and than we were!.... :P
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:21 am

Oops...Packers Sunday...I need to learn not to post after tailgating...... :roll:

One other note of interest. After a quick count of our class from the tatler, our frosh year we had around 447 students. About 226 of them were boys. So only 26 out of 226 played football! (I know a few were special needs students, but you're still looking at the high 100's of "potential players.")

Our JV season, we had 15 football players return. This included the classmate who had been brought up to the JV team the year prior. A side note, he was brought up because he was just an outstanding student-athlete.

So 15 returned out of the 26. Luckily the year prior Coach Bonetti and Coach Petr pretty much played everybody all season! Two didn't return due to knee injuries- one ran cross country instead. The other lost had been a "dominate athlete" all through middle school and 9th grade. Of the remaining not returning, 1 moved and the rest simply quit for good.

Of the new players who came out, our JV coach brought up 3 freshmen, 1 moved into the school system, and remember I mentioned the JV coach could recruit kids to come out to play football? Thanks to him reaching out to the students 7 came out for either the first time or since middle school.

So for our JV season, we were back to around the same numbers- 26 on the team.

On our team that JV season, we had a wonderful year. 5 were 2-way starters. About 7 started one way. Around 6 rotated in and out a lot as they were too good to keep off the field. The others played key roles on special teams. The 2 smallest players were sent out for the coin toss.

Next our coaches and a thank you post.....
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Our Coaches

Our coaches that JV season were Coach Steve Wichar, and assistant Jeff Olson. Coach Jeff Olson had just graduated the year prior and this was his first year coaching. Coach Wic had been with the program since the 70's.

There also was an MSHS alumni from the late 70's who was a volunteer coach for us by the name of Dean Rushford. He volunteered that season and he did this a couple years before finally landing a paid position.

The one thing Coach Wichar used to do was invite alumni volunteers to come help coach. Another alumni who volunteered for a short time (before going back to college?) to help was Randy Blom. He was a classmate/teammate to guys like John Tiziani, Tim Heideman, Tim Bullock, etc. For many years now Coach Blom has been coaching here in Wisconsin over at SPASH (Stevens Point).

If I remember right, Coach Wichar was from Ohio. Ohio is a huge football state. Coach Wichar had outstanding people skills. He gave kids nicknames and broke through the various cliques that plaqued the Marquette community. On the football field, he drove us hard, and would make practice both tough and fun.

He also wasn't afraid to tweak the offense or defense to the abilities of the players. We'd still run the varsity's offense, but one game for example, we ran a no-huddle, single wing against Menominee.

Coach Wichar would also commend opposing players during a game. Say an opponent made a big tackle over by our sidelines, Coach Wic would tell him "Hey, nice play there #45- way to stick!" It was just respect for the game.

What we learned from them

I hope I speak for our classmates, I'd have to say we learned what being a team was all about. We had outstanding participation during the summer weightlifting/conditioning sessions. (Remember the year prior how we saw Marana/Dellangelo working out all the time?) Our team was really close both on and off the field. I remember one time the entire team went out to the Nordic Theatre and watched the movie "Porkys" together.

One of the many favorite sayings Coach Wichar preached was "As a team, we're only as good as our weakest player." That meant everybody had to be ready to step up and step in at any time. Every member of the team was important, that every player had to be coached up, and that every player give 100%.

One funny story- one of our freshmen teammates who got moved up to play with us was accused by his dad of "Being a cream puff" (He was a real big guy). So for like one week, that player never showered after practices. Even during 2 a days. He'd wear his stinky, sweaty shirt home and around the house just to annoy his dad. I guess finally his dad couldn't stand it anymore.

One of my favorite memories of playing for Coach Wichar & Coach Olson that season was going into the last game, Coach Wic gave a very powerful and emotional speech. He had always made us feel proud and special to be football players.

He stressed again how it was important for us to always support and back each other, even after football. That we attend each others sporting events and activities (which we did). And threw in something like "...and if Beaudry's playing tiddly winks, then go support and watch him play tiddly winks!"

We were family.

He thanked us individually and shook our hands, and I remember we were all pretty emotional. His speeches came from the heart, and it really hit home. I don't think any of us were ever again on a team that was that close. It's amazing what people can accomplish when they work together as a team. I can't tell you all how much I miss the comrade and cohesion of a football team.

A thank you to Coaches Steve Wichar and Jeff Olson, (and not to forget Randy Blom and Dean Rushford) for that memorable season. We learned a lot that season also.

Oh P.S.- there was probably just one little detail- a fault many of us tried not to hold against Coach Wic....he hated Michigan!!! He was a huge OSU Buckeyes fan!!!! :mrgreen:

On the the varsity & our numbers!....
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:17 am

Tryin' to fast forward this here-

Ok, our class had 23 sophomores on the JV team (plus the 3 frosh for 26 total)- when all was said and done, when it was all over who was left available, who were seniors on the varsity 2 years later....out of around 192 males in our class....Class A school...we had...

10 seniors. :shock: Four were originals from the Bothwell program. Five were originals from the Gravaraet program. One moved into Marquette our junior year. So with 16 juniors, we had 26 total on the varsity.

Recapping what happened:

* Anywhere from 30-40 kids total between both Bothwell & Graveraet Middle Schools would try but quit football prior to high school.

* Between 9th & 11th grade, 38 student-athletes would letter in football. Of those 38, 28 classmates would quit football over that 3 year span:

* 11 would simply quit & never play a sport. Simply walk the halls the rest of their high school years! :cry:

* 4 who quit played a sport or two, but not football.

* 5 more would quit to focus on hockey. :cry:

* 4 suffered knee injuries and never returned. Here's how they ended up:

- One continued by running cross-country & played basketball (never made varsity team).
- One continued by running cross-country, played basketball through varsity, also track and baseball.
- One continued with basketball, but knee got worse & had to quit that.
- One came back to football 2 years later, found he wasn't the dominating athlete he was in middle school/frosh year (many had caught up to him)- so he quit! :roll:

* 4 moved.

Of the 28 who lettered in football and left or quit prior to that senior year, 19 of them had been either 2 way starters, one way starters, or rotated in/played a lot at certain positions! :shock:

Classwise, we started MSHS with over 200 males, and graduated around 192.

I think many MSHS classes can share a similar experience, expecially over the past 20 years. So why do I share this?

There's a lesson here: "That player on the sidelines today, may be your starter tomorrow!"

You do not always know who will be there when varsity rolls around!!!! Invest in all the players. Never rest on your laurels from the year before! It's a tough juggling act, because there is the pressure of winning too. I hope all the players and parents keep this in mind. Your coaches are in a tough position.

Other notes:

* Notice we didn't lose kids to discipline issues. :P
* We didn't lose anyone to concussions- that's another topic.
* We didn't play with matches, because we knew that "ONLY YOU can prevent forest fires!" :mrgreen:
....maybe did we suffer concussions?? :P

Thank you post to the coaches, then 1949!...
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:48 am

Our Coaches

One of our assistant coaches we had when we were juniors was Coach Mike Fedrizzi. Fedrizzi had been with the program a few years. The other was Coach Fran L'Huillier. L'Huillier had been the head coach for the 2 seasons after Coach Srholec left. Our senior year, Fedrizzi left and was replaced by Coach Don Marana. Our head coach for varsity those 2 years was Coach Mike Mileski.

What we learned

Alot!!! I'll try my best not to get carried away. Coach Mileski was a strict disciplinarian.

His #1 rule was:

"NO EXCUSES!!!"Excuses are like a**holes... Everybody's got one--and they all stink!!!!"

When you played for Coach Mileski, you were held to a high standards of conduct both on and off the field. One of his former players down here in Green Bay told me "He was my favorite coach ever. He pushed you to make you better."

Coach Mileski wanted to win just as much as anyone- but he was not going to lower those standards for the sake of winning. Athletics was where they were meant to be with Coach Mileski. They were an extension of the classroom and Coach Mileski was also in the business of grooming his players for life after high school. For example, if you talk to his players from their Ishpeming State Championship team, they are just as proud as their high college graduation rate and careers after high school as they are winning that title.

One of my (many) favorite stories of playing for him was this little teaching. I remember it was during our early years of high school and we were up lifting in the weightroom after school one day. While working out us kids were talking about Escanaba and their schedule. I remember moving over to the military press lift and to add to the conversation I asked Coach Mileski "Hey Coach, are the kids down in Wisconsin and Lower Michigan better football players than we are up here?"

Coach Mileski always wore this ripped up red w/white trim "Marquette Track" sweatshirt with the hood pulled over his head. I still remember he was starting to do sit ups on the sit-up bench and this day I still remember how he stopped what he was doing. I still remember that intense look he gave me...and this was almost 30 years ago....

He told me "I'm gonna tell you something I don't want you to ever forget." He said "Always remember, The farther away from home, the better you are!" He asked me if I knew what that meant. He'd tell me "Kids are the same everywhere. People are no different no matter where they're from. People think just because someone's from Ohio, Texas or California, that makes them better. No, that does not make them better than you are. They are no different or better than the people up here. Always remember that!"

Thank you to Coaches Mike Fedrizzi, Don Marana and Fran L'Huillier for coaching at MSHS- and thank you to Coach Mike Mileski for your coaching. Also, as we've gotten older and have our own families, lets not forget to thank the wives, children and family members of our coaches.
Last edited by Hueby on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:02 am

Here was a profile of our school. My numbers aren't accurate- but in the ballpark. Back in the mid 80's MSHS looked something like this our senior year:

440 seniors (192 boys)
351 juniors
343 sophomores
390 freshmen

Around 1524 students total.

Here were our numbers in athletics. I also included non-high school sanctioned sports like junior hockey and legion baseball. Back then in hockey, after your junior year if you did not make the high school team- you were done. Some did play for the Marquette Americans Juniors team (which I included the one in our case).

The participation numbers would look better from grades 9-11, because JV & frosh basketball teams had bigger rosters and those not playing high school or midget AA hockey could still play midget/rec. I only did our senior class.

Boys Fall Sports

Varsity Football: 10 seniors, 26 total on team.
Cross Country: 7 seniors, 30 total on team.

Boys Winter Sports

Wrestling: 4 seniors, 20 total on team.
Varsity Basketball: 6 seniors, 12 total on team.
Swimming and Diving: 0 seniors, 6 total on team.
Skiing: 6 seniors, 20 total on team.
Hockey: 11 seniors, 18 total on team.
(plus 1 senior played Junior B hockey)

Boys Spring/Summer Sports

Tennis: 10 seniors, 21 total on team.
Golf: 3 seniors, 7 total on team.
Track and Field (rough numbers- going off of yearbook supplement): 11 seniors out of around 35
Legion Baseball (again rough numbers based off memory)- around 10

Many of these seniors have been counted more than once. The actual numbers of "student-athletes" males we had in our class as seniors came out to 47. (24%)

Within the male student-athletes in our senior class, 21% played football.

If you take the entire senior class male population, only 5% played football.

Of the 47 male student-athletes, 22 played more than one sport.

Of our 10 seniors who played football, 8 of the 10 played 2 or more sports. Add volunteer weightlifting and intramural basketball- 100%. Basically the football players were involved doing something during the offseason.

Of the 6 seniors who made the Redmen basketball team, all were multi-sport athletes. 4 played football and ran track. (They won districts that year- hadn't been done in 3 yrs).

Of the 11 seniors on the Redmen hockey team, 6 were multi-sport athletes. 3 played baseball, 1 tennis, 1 golf, and another both football, track & baseball. The rest specialized. (Were D1 state runners up. 'Tros won AA Nationals).

Most the athletic teams did really good. Think all the teams were really respected- just some more than others. Wrestling struggled but lots of improvement. Legion baseball did well if I remember correctly.

I didn't review the other non-sport activities-like honors programs, debate team, boys/girls state, drama club, french/german clubs, all different bands like jazz, concert, symphony, wind ensemble, orchestra, chorale, etc. Overall they had pretty good involvement.

Why I remember on high school bowl, think our school sneaked by Eben! :P

A lot of very good people in the school. Still way to many kids who walked the halls & never applied themselves... :cry:

Ok this is history, but hope it informs & gives a little insight. Am curious how it compares to these days ...Whip out the old school helmets- on to 1949!... 8)
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:22 am

This past summer while visiting the old stomping grounds of Marquette, I had about 1 1/2hrs to sneak over to Peter White Public Library.

I grabbed the Mining Journal microfilm and went for the fall of 1949. Why 1949? .... I really don't know- I just figured a lot of the old scores on up-football & michigan-football went back to the early 50's.

What made this fun was one could learn what was going on in the world of U.P. football also. I regret that I did not photocopy all the weekly scores. It seems at the beginning of the season, the Friday night game write-ups came on Saturday. But as the season went on, the write-ups of Friday's games were printed on Monday.

There were two weeks I did not find a game write-up. Looking back, it wouldn't surprise me if those games were Saturday/Homecoming games and the articles came out on Tuesdays?

Some of what I'm going to post are the actual articles, while the rest were notes that summarize.

The source of this information came right from the Mining Journal articles. Authors were not listed with the articles. Here's what I learned from the Graveraet Redmen's season of 1949....
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:36 am

Some posts back, remember I mentioned a teacher who was also a really good baseball player for the Marquette Shorelanders? His name was Stan Sosnouski. In 1949, he was in his 2nd season of coaching the Graveraet Redmen. Here was the first article I came upon about the Graveraet football team:

Friday Sept 4, 1949

Redmen Play Opener Against Kingsford Here Friday Night

In the role of underdog, the Graveraet Redmen will raise the curtain on their 1949 football campaign when they play host to the Kingsford Cardinals in a non-conference game at 8 tomorrow night under the lights on Memorial Field.

The Redmen, in the Great Lakes conference, are out to avenge an 8-0 defeat dealt them on the Flivvers' gridiron in the first game of the season last year.

But they face a Herculean task as Coach Alvin "Dutch" Cummings of the Ford City "11" has 20 squad members returning, having lost only three stringers by graduation.

Eight Lettermen Back

Bolstering Graveraet's hopes over a tough eight game schedule will be eight lettermen, seven of whom will be in the starting line-up for Coach Stan Sosnouski tomorrow night.

Graveraet starters and their weights: (format edited)

left end: Frank Young, 150 pound junior
left tackle: Don Ward, 160, junior
left guard: Tom Peters, 180, senior
center: Jud Cole, 145, senior
right guard: Dick Paquette, 145, sophomore or Harold Nelson, 160, senior
right tackle: Harry Culver, 170, senior
right end: Bill Pruess, 155, senior
quarterback: Bob Redmen, 155, junior
left halfback: Steve Petros, 160, senior
right halfback: Bob Parent, 135, senior
fullback: Carl "Buck" Nystrom, 140, junior 8)

Peters, Cole, Culver, Pruess, Redmen, Parent and Nystrom are lettermen while another monogram winner, Tackle Norm Newman, hasn't displayed the ruggedness that marked his play last year and is being replaced by Ward, whose play has been greatly improved in three weeks of practice.

Others who probably will see action for the Red and White are Dave Guilland, senior end who might have been a starter except for illness that has kept him from several practice sessions; Bill Rushford, junior quarterback; Neil Nystrom, junior tackle; Ed Quinell, senior guard and end; and Clifford Gugan, sophomore halfback and Tom Rushton, junior quarterback.

Won 3 in 1948

This is Sosnouski's second year at the Redmen helm and he turned in a credible performance last season. Under the leadership of the former St. Ambrose (Ia.) star, the Redmen won three, lost four, tied one and finished fourth in the Great Lakes conference.

Two of Graveraet's triumphs were over Sault Ste. Marie, 27-12, and Gladstone, 40-6. Graveraet had not beaten Soo since 1938 and Gladstone since 1940.

Officials will be Vance Hiney, referee; Al Rudness, umpire; and Matt Vanni, head linesman, all of Negaunee.

Tickets will be sold at both entrances to Memorial field. One entrance is at the end of North Front street and the other on Fair avenue between Front and Third streets. Tickets will go on sale at 7 p.m.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:53 am

Here were my notes from the game write-up. I'll use most of the same terminology that was written in the article.

Sat Sep 5, '49

Marquette upsets Kingsford 7-6

The game was played on Memorial Field in front of a large crowd.

Right halfback Joe Conesani crashed over right tackle on a handoff by quarterback Bob Redmen from two yards out early in the 4th quarter.

The cagey scatback caught the extra point in the endzone to provide the margin of victory on a well executed play.

Graveraet showed little life in the first half. Kingsford had its own way-8 first downs while Marquette had no first downs the few times they had the ball.

The 2nd half was the opposite. Marquette forwards displayed charge, giving Kingsford passers little chance of hitting receivers and Red backs hit the opposing line with force.

Fullback Carl "Buck" Nystrom and captain Tom Peters were outstanding on defense, as the rugged fullback making about 40 percent of the tackles. Peters plugged gapping holes in the Red line and blocked well on offense. Harold Nelson was a shining light, throwing Flivver backs for losses on several occasions.

[Near the end of the article this was written]: "Although Marquette lacks reserves, the boys who did see action for the Red and White displayed splendid conditioning."
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:43 am

I forgot to mention back in '49, on Saturday's the Mining Journal published a smaller edition than what came out during the work week. Also there was no Sunday Mining Journal. So one had to wait until Monday to read about all the events, scores and articles from Saturday's action.

Sep 6, 1949

Locally, besides Graveraet, Ishpeming also kicked off their first game of the season during Week 1. Here's a good U.P. football name for you all- Hugo Rouhomaki. In a hard fought game, Hugo Rouhomaki blocked a punt behind the goal line to give Ishpeming a 6-0 win over Manistique. Noted that Manistique had a "Rubick" playing end and the officials were from Escanaba.

Also for our U.P. football players back in 1949, actor John Wayne....THE DUKE!....came out in movies like "The Sands of Iwo Jima" and "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon." (That title would become an army marching cadance.)
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:56 am

Mon Sep 12, 1949

I didn't take many notes. Noted for Graveraet's 2nd game of the season Petros and Nystrom scored two 1st quarter TD's in a hard fought, 12-7 win over Munising.

In other close games involving county teams, Iron Mountain defeated Ishpeming 19-16, and Newberry slipped by Negaunee 7-6. After receiving the opening kickoff, Newberry scored on their first play from scrimmage. If I remember correctly, the play went around 70 yards.

Here's something you hardly hear about these days. Ishpeming's next game (vs Sault Ste Marie) would be their homecoming game, and there was a write-up of what the IHS marching band was going to play at halftime!

Two songs were to be dedicated to all the Ishpeming girls. Those songs were "Something for the Girls" and "Oh You Beautiful Doll." On you-tube there are many versions of "Oh You Beautiful Doll" to give you an idea of what the IHS band played back then.

The other two songs were to be dedicated to the Sault Ste Marie girls. One was "Frivilous Sal." On you-tube there is an Al Jolson version.

The other song dedicated to the Soo gals is an old one called "Sioux City Sue." It's a song about a cowboy who was falling for a red hair, blue eyed gal he was willing to swap not only his horse...but his dog for!

Now you know men were going soft!!!! 8)

How the songs back then were so innocent, simple and were sung from the heart!!!

But anyway, class act gesture on Ishpeming's part to dedicate those songs to the girls of Ishpeming and Sault Ste Marie!
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:24 am

Sep 16, 1949

There was a big write-up previewing Graveraet's game vs Newberry. The article covered the Redmen's injury status and personnel changes. The Graveraet line would be strengthened by Verlin Belfry, a Munising transfer who played on Munising's B squad for two years.

Graveraet was drilling pass defense, which almost cost them the Munising game. Two times Mathers receivers were wide open but one receiver dropped the pass, while another "failed to catch" the pass. Here was a quote by Redmen coach Stan Sosnouski:

"I'm hoping my boys won't be overconfident against Newberry since we've won our first two games. We'll give them a good battle and we're out to win. We're far from being a good ball club, but the spirit of the boys is high and the blocking is a lot better than last year, which means a lot."

Newberry meanwhile, was in a rebuilding year. I remember some years back when JJ Puckett was a moderator on this site he posted about a long time Newberry coach named Morley Fraser. That post immediately came to my mind when I read this article. This was Coach Morley Fraser's first year as head coach at Newberry.

Here was part of Coach Fraser's quote on their big 7-6 win over Negaunee and their upcoming game against Graveraet:

"...the whole team showed an all-out desire to win during the entire game...this made up for the lack of experience and weight when the going got rough...Newberry will be fighting until the end hoping to score another upset."

Sat Sep 17, 1949

Here were a few football scores that were printed:

Ishpeming 26, Sault Ste Marie 6
Stambaugh 39, Bessemer 0
Hurley (WI) 37, Calumet 7

college

Superior (WI) 33, Michigan Tech University 18
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:49 am

Sep 19, 1949

2,500 see Redmen held to 13-13 tie by Newberry 11.

Newberry's Ray Gustafson was the Star of the Game. Like many teams back then in high school and college, Newberry ran out of the single wing. In the article Newberry was described as the "Celery City 11." Nickname were the "Indians."

In the article Gustafson "brought the entire stadium to their feet" on a big TD run where he cut to the outside and beat one of the Redmen defensive backs to the endzone.

Newberry held a 13-6 lead at halftime. In the 2nd half, Graveraet had to resort to a "trickery pass". All I know is this one went "Parent to Frank Young, who laterals to Nystrom, who laterals to Petros." This play set up Graveraet's 2nd TD.

After the trickery pass, Marquette's Bob Parent broke loose at the Newberry 10 yd line and shook off several tackles for the TD. Graveraet scored the point after off a "fake place kick formation."

Note: This season was the first season of awarding the Barber Trophy. Stambaugh won the voting that season, going 7-0. On this site, here is a little paragraph up-football posted next to Stambaugh winning the award:

"The UP Sportswriters got their first taste of controversy on the very first Barber Trophy vote. Stambaugh edged Newberry 3-2 in the voting. Many votes were thrown out because of unpaid dues. Newberry finished the season 6-0-1 with their only blemish being a 13-13 tie against Marquette."

Former MSHS football coach/AD Jerry Pangrazzi, who played for Stambaugh that 1949 season, told me "There were a lot of hurt people up in Newberry over this." (He was very generous in sharing his experience with me on the first U.P. Football All-Star game held back in the 50's).
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:14 am

Sep 22, 1949

In the Mining Journal, there were write ups on the upcoming Graveraet / Ishpeming game. More published reports about injuries. The Redmen came out of that 13-13 tie against Newberry pretty dinged up. Article mentions Graveraet lost 4 starters from that game. Some of the injuries players got were shoulder injuries, torn ligaments, charley horses, etc.

Marquette had an intrasquad scrimmage, with the first team nipping the 2nd team 7-6.

"I'm far from satisfied with the team's performance in general against Newberry and the blocking was especially poor. We'll have to do a lot better to beat Ishpeming." said Graveraet coach Stan Sosnouski.

Sep 24, 1949

Marquette trims Ishpeming 13-10. Bob Parent scored all the points for the Redmen in front of a capacity crowd in Ishpeming. Graveraet's Steve Petros intercepted five passes (that sounds like a school record for most INT's in a game?)

Brodie Weston, filling in for Buck Nystrom (Nystrom was out with an infected leg) stepped up and turned in an incredible performance at DB, backing up the line on the defensive side, while Joe Consani replaced Buck Nystrom at fullback. Consani "was hard to bring down."

Stat wise, on total yards offense Graveraet had 229 yards to Ishpeming's 63.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:38 am

Note: For about a 2 week span there was little coverage in the Mining Journal on the Graveraet Redmen. Scrolling through the Friday, Saturday and Monday portions of the paper I didn't notice any game write-ups. Not even pre-game articles.

There was an article on the Marquette J.D. Pierce football team. Just a reminder, in Marquette instead of attending the public school (Graveraet) or the private school (Bishop Baraga) some students attended J.D. Pierce, which was a training lab for the local college.

Also the Redmen's "B" squad, got a little coverage. They were really struggling:

Sep 30, 1949

Article on Marquette J.D. Pierce. The training school was to play Graveraet's "B Squad." The Graveraet frosh/soph B Squad was coached by Paul Kotila. In their B Squad game against Ishpeming, Graveraet lost 35-6. But the highlight was how they "broke into the scoring column." In their other B Squad games, the Redmen lost to Munising 38-0 and Newberry 58-0.

Coach Kotila was going to continue to drill blocking and tackling fundamentals into the 22 man team.

Oct 3, 1949

Reported in the newspaper that Graveraet's B Squad defeated J.D. Pierce 7-6.

Elsewhere, Ishpeming defeated Negaunee 14-13. Ishpeming utilized a "powerful running game" in the win.

Stephenson "played their best game of the year" in a 14-6 win over Munising.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:42 am

This is just a fun trivial/fyi post. For the Graveraet football players and all the other U.P. football players that season, there were many events that had been going on that year which would shape the world down the road.

source: The people history.com & hisdates.com & wikipedia

Some of the world events that were going on in 1949:

12 nations started NATO, West Germany was established, the Soviet Union successfully tested an atomic bomb, A good bulk of US forces pulled out of Korea, Communist People's Republic of China formed, South Africa institutionalizes apartheid, the West conducted the Berlin airlift around a Soviet blockade, the State of Vietnam was formed, and the US Air Force B-50 Superfortress, the Lucky Lady Two, lands in Texas, after completing the first non-stop around the globe flight.

More and more televisions are sold and reach American households. RCA introduces first 45 rpm record. RCA also announces the development of a compatible color TV system. First Polaroid camera sold for $89.95.

Famous people born in 1949: George Foreman, Larry Holmes, Dennis Green, John Riggins, Joe Theisman, Bill Buckner, Bruce Springsteen, Gene Simmons, Steve Perry, Billy Joel, Andy Kaufman, John Belushi, Hank Williams, Jr, Bill O'Reilly, Richard Gere and Lionel Richie.

Harry S. Truman was president, the average income a year was $2,950, minimum wage went up from 50 cents an hour to 75 cents, a gallon of gas was 17 cents, and a first class stamp was 3 cents.

As I scrolled through that 1949 season, for the most part life seemed quiet, but the Graveraet Redmen & the rest of the U.P. high school football world moved on....
Hueby
All UP

PreviousNext

Return to Research and History