Rivalries ending.....

General board to discuss Upper Peninsula football.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Rivalries ending.....

Postby Hambone » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:28 pm

and so with the conference realignment rivalries are ending.

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/con ... 83113.html
Hambone

Re: Rivalries ending.....

Postby amped0808 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:49 pm

Like a punch to the gut. Coming from a person that saw his high school's 75+ year rivalry end due to realignment here in SE WI, it sucks. That really puts GNC teams like Kingsford and Marquette in a bind as that's one less constant game (outside of league games) on the schedule.
2013 Wissports HOF Inductee
Wissports Pick 'Em coordinator
Once a Warrior always a Warrior
Twitter:https://twitter.com/Captain_Joe08
amped0808
All UP

Postby upfootball » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:50 pm

That's absolutely the worst thing that could happen. Horrible...
upfootball
Founder

Postby amped0808 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:15 pm

Heard rumblings on Twitter on a possible dual conference scenario per Adam Nemi

Source also told me Mid-Peninsula Conference “might not be dead.”

• There’s talk about MPC-West PAC dual conferencing — essentially schools from both conferences scheduling each other.

• Balance of that scheduling would determine things like Iron Mountain-Kingsford rivalry.

Also he also reports rumors of Pines leaving and Hurley could also be on the way out.

Source tells me Northland Pines is out of the West PAC, looking to play as independent with WIAA. Hurley apparently seeking West PAC exit to join a WIAA conference — they get word tomorrow.

This is what's holding up scheduling w/ regards to MPC teams joining.

So possibly IM-Kingsford could still happen.
2013 Wissports HOF Inductee
Wissports Pick 'Em coordinator
Once a Warrior always a Warrior
Twitter:https://twitter.com/Captain_Joe08
amped0808
All UP

Postby scoopnscore » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:41 pm

I've heard rumblings in recent years that Iron Mountain was trying to get out of the Kingsford game (I find that really hard to believe). If all of this does end up happening it really is too bad. I know Negaunee has struggled with Marquette as of late, as has Iron Mountain with Kingsford, but kids from both schools I know really look forward to that game.
I haven't failed, I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work - Thomas Edison
scoopnscore
UP Football Guru

Postby upfootball » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:52 pm

The rivalry games are the most important games on the schedule. Getting rid of them would be a terrible decision.
upfootball
Founder

Postby frogyakker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:35 am

Losing some good rivalry games would suck. But the question is....and I don't have a ready answer......when does a rivalry game become a tradition game? When one "rival" can no longer compete with the other "rival" is still a "rivalry" game? Maybe it morphs into a game of tradition. Sometimes those games serve little purpose. How long has it been since Marinette beat Menominee? 2000 I think. Are the communities really brought together when one team consistently beats the other? Again this is for discussion...I don't have an iron clad answer. The landscape is a changing that's for sure.
Frogyakker
frogyakker
UP Football Guru

Postby upfootball » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:32 am

Like everything else rivalries go in waves. Anyone remember when Ohio State could not beat Michigan during the John Cooper years? How is that rivalry going now?

Marinette will be back one of these days. Ending the rivalry game with Menominee because your going through a bad spell would be chicken sh*t move. Gladstone ending it with Escanaba would be a chicken sh*t move. Even the previous chicken AD Gladstone had that started this whole mess by trying to back door his way into the playoffs by playing all smaller schools didn't do that.

What games do we traditionally look forward to above all else in the season? Rivalry games. Iron Mtn-Kingsford, Menominee-Marinette, Escanaba-Gladstone, Hancock-Houghton, Negaunee-Marquette, Ishpeming-Negaunee. These attract a huge gate and a lot of fun talk about football. Getting rid of them because people are worried about the 6 wins it takes to get into the playoffs is insanity.

Try explaining to a 10 year old kid. Sorry son... no Iron Mountain-Kingsford game this year. The team needs to play L'Anse instead. That playoff game that the MHSAA runs is far more important. I-N-S-A-N-I-T-Y....
upfootball
Founder

Postby Hueby » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:47 pm

I honestly never thought the Marquette-Negaunee football rivalry would come to a halt. Never saw this coming.

Yeah it really titled Negaunee' s way through the 90's & most of the 2000's (and then some).

I do believe the day will come when it will resume.

It's been 10 years now since the first major realignment was done around here. Since then have been pros and cons, good and bad for various football programs. Some other sports too. It's been interesting witnessing it all.

One pro is we do have more rivalries than before. You can take Bay Port, Notre Dame Academy, Green Bay Preble, Ashwaubenon, DePere, Pulaski and Green Bay Southwest then mix and match any of the schools for a rivalry game. Certain years mix in a Manitowoc Lincoln & Sheboygan South to spice things up.

One rivalry game that disappeared was DePere vs West DePere.

West DePere was a big winner in realignment. They went from one of the smaller schools in the old Bay Conference to one of the largest. Things were very quiet on their projected enrollment too. After the change they jumped 200 + students. Now they are being transparent about it and want to join the conference of the teams listed above & soon will be larger than some of them.

Green Bay East and especially Green Bay West suffered under realignment. West' s enrollment was dropping and even worse more and more of the best student-athletes bolted for the suburb schools and NDA.

Also many of the schools that have done well there was one common factor----the head coach.

Like an elderly lady told me a few years ago...3 things in life that we'll always have: Death, Taxes and Change.
Hueby
All UP

Postby frogyakker » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:44 am

Good point. Counterpoint is college teams can recruit to get better, Marinette or any other High School team has what they have (with an occasional school of choice player). The Marines may turn it around at some point. I'm not saying they wont. But 17 years is a long time. Comparing the college game to high school is an apples to oranges deal. I guess I'm just separating a rivalry game from a traditional game in my mind. And maybe there is no separation, who knows. A rivalry game to me is where the teams take turns beating the other when it hurts the worst. For whatever the reason it's the team you want to beat the most for the times they beat you when you had something on the line . Is Marinette the team Menominee wants to beat the most? I would guess not. This is what makes sports fun....open discussion on a topic of interest. Good luck to Forest Park and West Iron!
Frogyakker
frogyakker
UP Football Guru

Postby frogyakker » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:22 am

PS...I'm not advocating ending the Marinette Menominee game or any other rivalry game. They are big gates for the school and a sense of the past. They're great. But the landscape of the game IS changing. And with potential conference size and teams forming new ones, or joining existing ones, non conference games may be lost. In the playoff era...making the playoffs has become the brass ring. Not saying it's right or wrong but that is the mentality. Hope we get the best worlds going forward.
Frogyakker
frogyakker
UP Football Guru

Postby GNCrocks » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Soo leaving the GNC and Gladstone coming back makes things interesting next year for GNC scheduling.

Matt Houle you are the world's worst person, LOL
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby darthgold » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:52 pm

Well it looks like there is no Negaunee vs Marquette game for 2018.

http://mqtathletics.com/2017/11/14/2018-varsity-football-schedule-announced/

The full 2018 schedule is listed below and is subject to change
August 24 – Home – 7:00 p.m. – Maple City-Glen Lake
August 31 – Away – TBA – Traverse City Central
September 7 – Home – 7:00 p.m. – Sault Ste. Marie
September 14 – Home – 7:00 p.m. – Escanaba
September 21 – Home – 7:00 p.m. – Petoskey
September 28 – Away – TBA – Kingsford
October 5 – Away – TBA – Lakeland Union
October 12 – Home – 7:00 p.m. – Gladstone
October 19 – Away – TBA – Menominee
darthgold
New to Board

Postby DLintheTrenches » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:17 am

Hueby wrote:West DePere was a big winner in realignment. They went from one of the smaller schools in the old Bay Conference to one of the largest. Things were very quiet on their projected enrollment too. After the change they jumped 200 + students. Now they are being transparent about it and want to join the conference of the teams listed above & soon will be larger than some of them.

Green Bay East and especially Green Bay West suffered under realignment. West' s enrollment was dropping and even worse more and more of the best student-athletes bolted for the suburb schools and NDA.

I coach at GB West, and I couldn't agree more. Our enrollment continues to dip due to school of choice down here, and even with a Division 3 enrollment, we only get about 30 kids, including freshman, to our varsity squad. Re-alignment is killer.
DLintheTrenches
New to Board

Postby Hueby » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:02 pm

DLintheTrenches wrote:
Hueby wrote:West DePere was a big winner in realignment. They went from one of the smaller schools in the old Bay Conference to one of the largest. Things were very quiet on their projected enrollment too. After the change they jumped 200 + students. Now they are being transparent about it and want to join the conference of the teams listed above & soon will be larger than some of them.

I coach at GB West, and I couldn't agree more. Our enrollment continues to dip due to school of choice down here, and even with a Division 3 enrollment, we only get about 30 kids, including freshman, to our varsity squad. Re-alignment is killer.

That's awesome you're coaching & especially coaching there. Many of those kids need in life what football can provide.

I know the East-West rivalry still means a lot to many people.
Hueby
All UP

Postby GNCrocks » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:44 pm

yikes
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby GNCrocks » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:51 am

So far for 2018...GNC

Escanaba currently (11.20.17) is showing 2 open weeks...
- Week 5 (Soo leaving GNC)....I am not going to name the possible team they are discussing yet, but it is a large class A school. I do know that Ashland WI was asked and said No; DC Everest was reached out to but unsure what happened.
- Week 8, not sure why this is showing as open, unless Octono is breaking their 2 year agreement. Don't be surprised if you see Cadillac or TCC here for the foreseeable future.

Gladstone is showing 3 Open weeks right now. (weeks 2, 5, & 9)...YIKES

Menominee is showing Week 7 open....

Kingsford is showing no weeks open as of yet, I hope they have filled their schedule, they did not deserve an 8 week season last year.

Marquette is showing week 1 open, but they just filled it with Maple City Glen Lake. (who is also looking for a game week 3...Do they dare play 2 U.P. schools).
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby Hambone » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:15 am

Ashland is rebuilding their program Esky is probably not a good game for them right now. DC Everest is in a closed conference they may not even be open.
Hambone

Postby darthgold » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:50 pm

DC Everest had that date open this year, so I wouldn't think that would change next year. Although I don't see them looking for a game on the wiaawi.org site.
darthgold
New to Board

Postby GNCrocks » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:35 pm

Correction and Update.
Esky and DC Everest are playing week 5
Week 8 still open, high probability of TCC
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby u.p.power » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:45 pm

so what is menominee schedule g.n.c. rocks even with week 7 open for 2018? 8)
u.p.power
UP Football Guru

Return to Upper Peninsula Board