MADNESS!!!

General board to discuss Upper Peninsula football.

Moderator: Moderator Group

MADNESS!!!

Postby GNCrocks » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:08 pm

GNCrocks
All UP

Re: MADNESS!!!

Postby Hambone » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:49 am

Another step toward the wussification of America. People are way too easily offended today....
Hambone

Postby upgridiron » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:13 pm

It’s nice to know that everything in Michigan is so rosy that legislators have nothing to concern themselves with other than codifying thought control.

Should this nonsense progress to an actual law, there is an easy fix for it.

1. The schools affected should, of course, officially denounce any affiliation to the “offensive” nickname.
2. No need to pick a new nickname. The school athletic teams will be officially known as the school name (e.g. Escanaba, Gladstone, Marquette, or whatever)
3. Nothing can be done to stop the fans, students, or even the press from using whatever nickname they would like. Certainly, tradition and habit will prevail.

For example: Escanaba athletic teams will officially be known as “Escanaba <fill in the sport>”. However, fans, students and the press are free to continue referring to the teams as “Eskymos” (against “official edict”, of course) should they so desire. It’s a matter of free speech and freedom of the press. As for the “Eskymo” mascot, simply give the face two round blue eyes, dye his shock of hair blonde, and name him “Moe” … a perfectly legitimate name suitable for an individual of any ethnicity. Forever more, he is officially known as “Moe”… a typical Yooper dressed appropriately for an outdoor event taking place in cold weather. And, since Escanaba is commonly known as “Esky”, it would be perfectly legitimate and accurate for fans, students and others to call the mascot “Esky Moe”.
upgridiron
New to Board

Postby yooper power » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:37 pm

Keep waiting it will continue to get worse.
Yooper playoff motto when playing the trolls:"You Take On One Yooper Team You Got Us All"
"2630 Never to be broken"
yooper power
All UP

Postby Hueby » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:55 am

It's been working here in Wisconsin. Many schools have done away with "offensive nicknames, logos and mascots" and many social problems have been virtually eliminated.

We have little drug and alcohol use, less crime, stronger morals and values, more productive people out contributing to society- working and paying taxes, etc. Overall stronger families & more people feeling good about themselves!

Just kidding!

Being 1/2 Scandanavian the only thing I find offensive about Vikings are those dang horns! Get them off those helmets! They didn't have horns!!! (Many didn't even have helmets aka "Beserkers.")

"Warriors" does not just apply to Native Americans.

Also the Scots had some very fierce "tribes" and are very proud of their heritage (like defeating the powerful British). Very proud of their "Highlanders."

I really like the "Esky Moe" plan!
Hueby
All UP

Postby GNCrocks » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:37 am

History:
Eskymos (spelled with a Y) was originally a play on words. Escanaba the city, even back in the 1800's was nicked named ESKY. Before HS sports were even a thing, people from Escanaba were called ESKYMOS (its like saying New Yorker).
In the first few seasons of organized sports Escanaba teams actually used the nickname Hilltopers. But other people from other towns would say, we are going to Esky to play the Esky'mos....the name stuck. Years later about 1919, the first "Eskimo" (with an i) log that you see today appeared.

IF push came to shove, Escanaba could keep the name as it is actually spelled with a 'Y', eliminate the smiling person mascot and replace it with the new block "E" that as the map of the U.P. as the center of the 'E", then technically they would be off the hook. As the ESKYMOS, would have nothing to do with ESKIMOS, as the name meaning would actually be "Person from Escanaba" such as New Yorker, Bostonian, etc...

Braves, Maroons, Redmen... Sorry can't help you yet, but Ill look for a loop-hole for you.
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:54 am

GNCrocks wrote:...

Braves, Maroons, Redmen... Sorry can't help you yet, but Ill look for a loop-hole for you.

Actually the Marquette "Redmen" nickname originally had nothing to do with Native Americans. When Graveraet High School was built around 1920 the superintendent was from Harvard and had the school decked out in Harvard colors-Crimson & White.

They planted bushes that turned red in the fall & red flowers all around & even had huge red curtains in the auditorium. Along with the new bright red bricks constructing the building, Graveraet had such a red glow to it (especially in the fall) they had the nickname "Redmen."

But in time it was assumed the nickname was related to Native Americans. A to-be custodian got permission to paint an Indian head logo on the basketball court. This person had worked for the WPA during the great depression and a similar Indian head drawing was all over signs throughout Goegebic County.

Some years back I posted a more detailed version of this in the history thread.

MSHS has since quietly phased out the modern version Cheiftan logo throughout the school. They offered it for alumni on sports apparel at their spirit store- not sure if they still do.

But now like Menominee they simply used the "Block M." (BTW I always thought Menominee' s "Maroon" nickname was for the color?)

About 6-7 years ago I remember hearing a story where Marquette' s previous AD was mad at the football program because they purchased and put on helmet decals that had the "Block M" inside of a circle, but along with two feathers connected to the circle.

Anyways "Redmen/Redettes" originally had nothing to do with Native Americans, and they have quietly done away with the logo part. I would hope this clears up any future confusion.

On a personal note, I like what Negaunee and Ishpeming have done with nicknames relating to the mining industry. I wish Marquette had done the same- used a nickname relating to the mining, Great Lakes shipping or railroad industry that built the city.

Gladstone and Newberry are probably potential targets.

Yes, where does this stop? You have people out there who freak out over anything involving the "Devil."
Hueby
All UP

Postby Tiger » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:35 pm

It is madness! It should be considered an honor to have a sports team named after your ethnicity, heritage or tradition/history.
Sport teams are named in a fashion to represent something strong and powerful. It's a sign of a great respect. I'm not aware of one
sports team that has taken a name in disrespect or in attempt to demean others.

All the names in question are taken out of context by clueless people who have no business being offended by it in the first place.
Tiger
UP Football Guru

Return to Upper Peninsula Board