Displaced Yoopers in WI thread. Dedicated to the "906."

Board to discuss Out of State opponents. General discussion about Out of State teams.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Displaced Yoopers in WI thread. Dedicated to the "906."

Postby Hueby » Tue May 22, 2018 10:51 am

Afternoon to all,

Before we know it the 2018 football season will be upon us. Changes again are in the air but it should be another fun season.

It's all what you make of it.

I just wanted to make a thread for those friends, families, former players, etc of U.P. Football fans who want to share the football life here in Wisconsin.

Those of us displaced Yoopers who had to leave the U.P. to "Go where the jobs are." : )

May also throw in some trivial things (non political of course)- hopefully many of you will find interesting.

Last year met a younger guy from Iron Mountain, learned the Yoopers around here have this phrase among each other stating they are from the "906."
Hueby
All UP

Re: Displaced Yoopers in WI thread. Dedicated to the "906."

Postby Hueby » Tue May 22, 2018 11:11 am

For starters, the WIAC.

Last year you had an up and coming U-W Oshkosh dethron UW-Whitewater. Here's how it ended up:

UW- Oshkosh 7-0 (12-1)
UW- Whitewater 6-1 (7-3)
UW- La Crosse 5-2 (8-2)
UW- Plateville 4-3 (7-3)
UW- Stout 3-4 (5-4)
UW- River Falls 2-5 (4-6)
UW- Stevens Point 1-6 (4-6)
UW- Eau Claire 0-7 (1-9)

The Titans advanced all the way to the Stagg Bowl, but lost that D3 Championship game to Mount Union OH 43-40.

If UWO had just had one starting U.P. product they might have pulled it off! Didn't they learn from Whitewater in having Grayvold?

Souce was from the WIAC website. The Grayvold info was my personal biased opinion ha ha.

And from my WI DNR outdoor report, Peshtigo and Oconto rivers dropped 6 inches recently, but many are having success catching walleye, northern pike and smallmouth bass.

Bear complaints are on the rise. Keep grills clean and locked up. Careful putting out bird feeders and don't leave garbage outside. This is attracting bears to people's yards.

Just some of the info.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun May 27, 2018 6:29 am

Speaking of the WIAC, one thing that is sort of a "bummer" is you just don't see as many football players from the Green Bay area playing in the U-W schools like you did 10+ years ago. There are still some out there in the WI private colleges, some D2 colleges in the U.P., some throughout the midwest and a few D1 (like 10+ years ago)- but it's safe to say a big drop in those additional players going to play in the WIAC.

While on those who move on to play college football...One little recent success story is Airon Servais out of Ashwaubenon. Will tell this to the best of my knowledge. When he was a freshman, he was a tall 6'1" kid but very light- in the 125-130 weight range. He played linebacker but hurt his back, an injury causing him to miss his entire freshman season.

Think about this, these days how many kids would have quit football at this point?

But he didn't. He kept at it. Lifting and eating a lot of peanut butter. Long story short he ended up a starting lineman and left high school around 6'5" 275lbs.

Currently he is the starting center out east for Saracuse. He's about 2 inches taller and 27lbs heavier since high school. Like a couple weeks ago, he comes back to Ashwaubenon and holds a little one day clinic for today's players. This is something some of the schools around here do- their alumni who are playing college football return to give clinics on to the high school kids.

Notes from recent DNR reports-

Down around Madison there have been more than 400 projects along 100 miles of stream that have improved the trout habitat. This should help anglers be more successful.

Here's something I didn't realize- according to state and tribal harvest data, this past 2017-18 season, 548 bobcats were harvested here in Wisconsin. Did not realize we had so many bobcats here in the Badger state!

A co-worker from Coleman wasn't shocked. He said they are hard to find, with most being trapped or hunted with dogs. Reminds me of a story he told me a year back. His dad was up hunting and saw a cougar. The DNR wants you to report cougar sightings, so he contacted the DNR to do so.

To his dad's surprise, the DNR officer rebuked his claim. Told him he didn't see a cougar....but a bobcat. My co-workers dad snapped back saying something like "Look I know a cougar when I see one. Bobcat's don't have a (censored) 2 foot long tail!"
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:48 am

It's been a pleasure watching U.P. track highlights through the internet this past spring. Have always admired those who participate in track and field.

The WIAA had their state meet this past weekend too. It's held at UW-LaCrosse. A very nice facility and beautiful area of Wisconsin. The LAX men's and women's track teams help run and support this meet and they always do an excellent job. Aside from Kimberly winning Men's D1- the majority of the best teams come from the southern part of the state.

Around here for many years Green Bay Preble always had the best program- while Bay Port had the best baseball program. Seems the last couple years they switched roles. Bay Port in track then Preble in baseball.

Bay Port had a helluva athlete who last year took 1st place in 3 of 4 events in state. He might have taken 2nd or 3rd in the one event he didn’t win. But medaled in all 4. He also played football. He was to attend track at B1G Minnesota but Bay Port threw the hammer down on him for violating athletic rules. So he did not compete at state this year. Not sure of his scholarship status. Just a reminder to many.

In baseball was neat seeing Escanaba and Gladstone play Ashwaubenon and Preble, respectively this past spring. I don't want to sound unsupportive but like more and more sports programs at Ashwaubenon they continue to head in the wrong direction. Politics has had a role like other factors. Even a co-worker from West DePere asked me if I knew what was going on with all of their athletic programs.

In baseball for example, you know something's wrong when the Preble coach asks the Ashwaubenon coach why certain players aren't playing.

In sports, especially around here there is a lot of "Heartbreak" when politics are involved, as well as the destruction of the work ethic. Open Enrollment and Specialization are also hurting this school...IMHO.

For those of you who had family members/ancestors who served in our nation's armed conflicts- Happy belated Memorial Day. I remember when I was young Cedarville had a student-athlete who was killed in the Vietnam War. Here's a little tribute:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GeG1wy5dlfg
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:44 am

Yesterday throughout the state of Wisconsin they had sectional championship games in baseball. These games were held at "neutral sites" and the winners get to advance to the state tournament held next week at Fox Cities Stadium in Grand Chute (near Appleton).

In Wisconsin they have 4 Divisions for baseball. So that means the enrollment disparity at the D1 level can be pretty high.

In our immediate neck of the woods the 3 teams remaining were Coleman in D3 while in D1 it was Green Bay Preble and West DePere.

Coleman was eliminated by St Mary Catholic 7-2. :cry:

West DePere- who defeated Oshkosh West 3-0 to get to this game- lost to Kimberly 9-4. Kimberly had knocked off Hortonville in their sectional semis earlier to advance. Kimberly wins D1 Section 4.

Also in D1, Green Bay Preble won a hard fought game over DC Everest 1-0. Then later at Bay Port high school they defeated Antigo 12-1 (guess it wasn't as much of a neutral site but oh well). Preble wins D1 Section 2.

So next week is the State Tournament down the road near Appleton. Here is a link involving the local D1 games, brought to you by a former media member who worked in the U.P.:

http://www.wearegreenbay.com/sports/hig ... 1221259624

Some of the Kimberly players in the video you might recognize. One is Badgers football recruit while another is the son of a former WIAC baseball coach...I hope I got it right!
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:32 am

Good Morning,

If I could share some ongoings for the life of a displaced Yooper and the world of sports around here...

First, wasn't that some outstanding NHL playoff action? It was tense in our house back during that Washington/ Tampa Bay series. Our older son has always been an Ovechkin fan, meanwhile my wife has been a Jon Cooper fan. While he coached her cousin back in Junior hockey, Cooper was also the coach for the Green Bay Gamblers- reviving the program dormant since the early 2000's, and her biggest reason..."He's really cute." ha ha

But that was one exciting Finals between the Capitols and Knights!

Was talking to a West DePere parent back on that sectionals WIAA baseball game against Kimberly. If I could share some of this conversation. Their games were played on the campus of UW-Oshkosh. Earlier that day Hortonville lost a heartbreaker to the Papermakers. Kimberly pulled off a 7th inning rally to win this game. The West DePere parent said once Hortonville pulled their pitcher-that was it. They believe the pitcher had to be pulled due to the "pitch count" but wasn't 100%.

In these games at UWO, West DePere had defeated Oshkosh North 3-0 to send them them to the Sectional Finals. You know who West DePere's biggest fans were? Oshkosh North!

The schools in the Fox Valley area are "sick and tired" of what has been going on at Kimberly. (What's funny is I mentioned this in a basketball thread which here are their complaints...)

They are sick and tired of all the "overaged players" and "open enrollment" Kimberly has been using to get an edge on them.

The parent pointed out Kimberly has no seniors but named off some of the juniors who were older than the West DePere seniors.

I told the parent I understood- but while I don't agree with it- pushing the age limit for athletic reasons is within the rules. Until it is stopped at a higher level, it will continue to be abused.

Some solutions would be to start everybody at Kindergarden when they are 6 yrs instead of 5 yrs (Which would be good as down here they shove certain academic standards down the kids throat grades earlier than we had it...plus a tougher grading system) and/or once you hit 19 yrs you are ineligible for high school athletics.

But in this game West DePere had Kimberly too. Kimberly was down a couple runs in the bottom of the 7th. The Kimberly batter delivered with 2 outs, runners on base and on an 0-2 count. West DePere also hurt themselves with an uncharacteristic 5-6 errors.

Was told through the anger/resentment- Kimberly was a very fundamentally sound baseball team.

Some girl's softball notes in the WIAA tournament- After Green Bay Preble lost to Appleton North, Appleton North advanced to play Sun Prarie (who would win it all in D1). What was interesting to me was after the Sun Prarie game, the Appleton North coach said the team found themselves in unfamiliar territory. That was the first time all season they fell and had to play from behind!

It was also neat seeing the Denmark girl's softball team reach the D2 semis. They lost to Mosinee 8-7 but the program hasn't been this far since they won State back in the late 90's. When the WIAA took over realignment back in the mid 2000's it was amazing the programs that did a 180.

Wow had more to post including football stuff but will hold off. Never a dull moment around here in sports!

Recent DNR reports involved a lot about flowers. : )
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:09 pm

Today down in Grand Chute (near Appleton) the WIAA held the D1 quarterfinals and semifinals in baseball. While at work I snuck on the WIAA website to follow what I could through their live updates.

Green Bay Preble- who Gladstone played very tough this past season- defeated the defending State D1 Champion Kimberly in 8 innings by a 3-2 score.

Preble lead 2-0, but Kimberly would tie the game at 2-2. Going into the final inning, Preble failed to score and what had me going was I swear on Kimberly's at bat, they had a runner on 3rd. When I rechecked the website it had gone haywire, with the boxscore showing all zeros but the home team (Kimberly) having "2 runs" in their final at bat. So I swore the Papermakers had ANOTHER dramatic come from behind win.

I was really happy for our rivals to the east. I remember seeing these Preble players in the newspaper a lot when they played travel baseball for the "Future Preble" team. I admire they remained loyal to their school.

Anyways later in the day Preble played Waunakee in the semifinals. What I saw at work on the WIAA game tracker was it was 1-1 in the 5th- with both teams scoring an unearned run. Eventually the game went into 11 innings, where Waunakee put up 2 run in the top of that inning, held Preble scoreless and won 3-1.

So for the 2nd year in a row Preble advances to the D1 State semifinals. Wish they could have advanced farther but there are just so many good baseball programs throughout the State of Wisconsin (as their are in the U.P. ;) ).
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:01 pm

Here were the scores for the WIAA 2018 State Championship games held at Grand Chute (Fox Cities Stadium). Took these from the WIAA website:

D4: Athens 13, Thorp 10
D3: Webster 8, (Menasha) St. Mary Catholic 2
D2: Waupun 4, Jefferson 0
D1: Waunakee 3, Arrowhead 1

In the D1 game Arrowhead was down 3-0 in the bottom of the 7th. Got a little rally going, leaving a runner at 3rd base but a little to late.

Here's a little football note down here. A different co-worker of mine lives in West DePere and her son will be a freshmen next year. He plans on playing football again as they have an upcoming football camp soon.

I don't know if all the Bay Conference teams are doing this, but at West DePere they are not having a Freshman team- but instead a "JV1" and a "JV2" team. It sounds like football is becoming like baseball and basketball. They are tearing down the grade the student-athlete is in, and instead going more by ability. Her son is a good size kid but she is not happy the coaches are planning on him playing on the JV1 team. (She won't say anything- Just naturally worried as a mother that her son will be hitting with older kids).
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:39 pm

First wanted to congrats the Gladstone boy's baseball team on their season's accomplishment- as well as the Escanaba girl's softball team on winning state. Quite a program they have going on up there.

If it's not a problem what I would like to do is over the summer put together little posts on the D3 college football teams here in Wisconsin. Just to help inform any Yoopers who may end up living here / raising a family here in Wisconsin.

Will be starting with the WIAC. First kicking off with UW-Eau Claire. Am going by last season's standings and will start from the bottom up. I have all my Blugolds football notes, just need to origanize my plan of posting.

After the WIAC schools will touch on some of the private colleges. While the private colleges have been wonderful to U.P. football players and U.P. athletes over the years, some U.P. products have played in the WIAC and many citizens here in Wisconsin are very proud (and rightfully so) of their U-W state colleges. These schools are the "bread and butter" for most families whose kids want to pursue higher education.

Am on vacation this week but have a "Honey Do" list from "H-E- double hockey sticks." One year after installing flooring while on vacation, I quit bidding all my vacation the following year as "If I was gonna work, I may as well get paid for it!"

Also Happy Fathers Day! I know many of you go through this too!
Hueby
All UP

Return to Out of State Board