2017 GNC Schedules

Conference talk for the Great Northern teams. Escanaba, Kingsford, Marquette, Menominee, and Sault Ste Marie

Moderator: Moderator Group

2017 GNC Schedules

Postby GNCrocks » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:23 am

As of 6.5.17
ESCANABA
ALPENA
@ Petoskey
@ Detroit Loyola
MARQUETTE
SOO
@Menominee*
GLADSTONE
@ Oconto (WI)
@Kingsford*

KINGSFORD
MENASHA (WI)
@Milwaulkee Riverside (WI
--open--
SOO*
WAUSAU EAST (WI)
@ Marquette*
IRON MOUNTAIN
@ Menominee*
ESCANABA*

MENOMINEE
MARINETTE (WI)
@ Kaukana (WI)
FOND DU LAC (WI)
MEDFORD (WI)
@ Brussles-Southern Door (WI)
ESCANABA*
@Soo*
KINGSFORD*
@ Marquette*

MARQUETTE
@ TC St. Francis
TC CENTRAL
@ Soo*
@ Escanaba*
@ Petoskey
KINGSFORD*
MINOQUA LAKELAND (WI)
@ Negaunee
MENOMINEE*

SOO
CHEBOYGAN
@ Alpena
MARQUETTE*
@ Kingsford*
@ Escanaba*
@ Gladstone
MENOMINEE*
OGEMAW HEIGHTS
@ Gaylord

North Escanaba's Tough Schedule
@ Gwinn
MANISTIQUE
NEGAUNEE
WESTWOOD
@ Ishpeming
SOO
@ Escanaba
@ Iron Mountain
@ Calumet
Last edited by GNCrocks on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GNCrocks
All UP

Re: 2017 GNC Schedules

Postby quarterbackgr » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:43 am

SOO
Cheboygan
Alpena
Marquette*
Kingsford*
Escanaba*
Gladstone
Menominee*
Ogemaw Heights
Gaylord
++ Gladstone on the schedule, meh....but by far the most realistic real-world schedule I have ever seen the Soo have. Happy for them for stepping up!

The Soo should play a Canadian team instead of Gladstone!
Living the dream!
quarterbackgr
UP Football Guru

Postby steve grinsteiner » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:45 pm

Since Kingsford and Ishpeming have open dates for week 3 and no downstate or Wisconsin schools open that week, maybe they can get a game together that week. Or maybe Canadian schools for both of them that week.
steve grinsteiner
All UP

Postby GNCrocks » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:05 pm

I have updated the initial posting of this thread to show HOME & away....I have also added to it Gladstone's schedule, we you look at this cupcake you can see now why they took the easy road and chickened out of the GNC.

And as of 8/1/17, yes both Ishpeming and Kingsford are still showing Open on Week 3
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby scoopnscore » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:47 am

I don't know that Gladstone's schedule looks like too much of a cupcake. I struggle to see 5 wins for them even in a good year against those teams. I would say that an average Gladstone team from the last ten years loses against Negaunee, Ishpeming, Soo, Esky, Iron Mountain, and Calumet.
I haven't failed, I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work - Thomas Edison
scoopnscore
All UP

Postby GNCrocks » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:50 am

Yeah but its a far cry from having Alpena, Cheyboygan, Muskegon Heights, Green Bays and Petoskey on the schedule.

You will have a hard time finding company who agrees that this is a good move for Gladstone, its weak plain and simple.
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby scoopnscore » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:00 pm

I don't understand why you expect them to play all those schools that are so much larger than them. Why would a program that has been terrible for years travel all over the state to play teams bigger than them when they can play teams closer to their size that they are more competitive with closer to home? They belong playing Negaunee, Ishpeming, Westwood, Gwinn, etc.
I haven't failed, I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work - Thomas Edison
scoopnscore
All UP

Postby amped0808 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm

IMO it's a lateral move for Gladstone going from the GNC to the Mid-Pen. Gladstone still has to face IM, Negaunee, Ishpeming and maneuver through the rest of the league to even get a shot at a postseason bid. You be hard pressed that Gladstone will instantly make an immediate move up the standings in the MPC in the short-term.

When you look at Gladstone's recent (since 2000) records, they had the fewest playoff appearances (3), worst conference record (13-56), and worst overall record (53-99) in the GNC. So the evidence for the move is almost damning to say the least.
2013 Wissports HOF Inductee
Wissports Pick 'Em coordinator
Once a Warrior always a Warrior
Twitter:https://twitter.com/Captain_Joe08
amped0808
All UP

Postby upfootball » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Gladstone will get a lot of crap for a while because of the move they made. Just the way it is.

They left the GNC because of "size" issues. Yet they dropped the two smallest schools they played right off the bat. Both of those schools are the same size as Gladstone. Both of those schools have dominated the Braves for the last 20+ years.

What Gladstone did was create an even tougher environment for the GNC schools to get games. Menominee is playing 5 Wisconsin schools to start the season. Kingsford has an open date now for the first time in years. Escanaba is ok because if Gladstone opted out of a rivalry game they would be the laughing stock of Delta county.

You think the MPC would have let Menominee in if they applied? They are smaller than Gladstone. What I find interesting is teams like Manistique and Westwood oked the move yet it is rumored both are trying like hell to leave the MPC for football.

Anyway, I think Gladstone has some talent this year. Don't overlook them in the MPC. I think they can win if they play well. They seem to improve as the season went on last year. They cannot start off as poorly as they did last year though.
upfootball
Founder

Postby haulpack » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:52 am

"When you look at Gladstone's recent (since 2000) records, they had the fewest playoff appearances (3), worst conference record (13-56), and worst overall record (53-99) in the GNC. So the evidence for the move is almost damning to say the least."

The GNC fans who dislike the Braves move to the MPC seem upset they dont have a doormat anymore in the GNC that they can twist their knives into.their teams always counted on an easy win against the Braves. maybe now their teams can at least be challenged by the new teams.Gladstone isnt joining as weak a conference as some seem to think it is.
"A fool and his money are soon parted,so just how long have you been broke"
haulpack
All UP

Postby upfootball » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:06 am

First of all I am in agreement that the MPC is not a weak conference. They are a very solid D7 conference with a couple exceptions.

As far as the doormat comment, the GNC doesn't have that mentality. They are the one conference up here that will play just about anyone. You take a look at the teams they play? You should. Menominee is playing a school with over 2000 kids in it this year. They have to because there are a lot of teams like Gladstone who do more dodging then winning.

GNC fans are pissed because Gladstone made their lives even harder to find games when the Braves should be scheduling these teams not ducking them.

I remember Gladstone in the 80's and early 90's and they were a very good football program.

Moving to the MPC isn't going to fix what broke them.

As a FOOTBALL fan I am irritated with their mentality and by "their" I am talking about the administrators who have made these kinds of moves over the last 10 years not the kids who had nothing to do with it. Lets not fix what is broken. Lets abandon ship and play in a conference where we can at least play the likes of Manistique and get some cheap wins even if we still are dysfunctional.

That's reality.
upfootball
Founder

Postby u.p.power » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:21 pm

and the bottom line is if they do win the six game's you have to win to get in they will have to play in division 5, that means menominee or kingsford . just a fact . :shock: :roll:
u.p.power
UP Football Guru

Return to Great Northern