Braves @ Eskymos

Conference talk for the Great Northern teams. Escanaba, Kingsford, Marquette, Menominee, and Sault Ste Marie

Moderator: Moderator Group

Re: Braves @ Eskymos

Postby amped0808 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:19 pm

upman01 wrote:It was interesting to see that Hancock will be in the same district with Kingsford, Menominee and Gladstone. Didn't realize they were division 5.

That is a group of death if I have ever seen one. That happens when your total co-op enrollment goes up at one school. Tough break for them since this is their best season in a long time.
2013 Wissports HOF Inductee
Wissports Pick 'Em coordinator
Once a Warrior always a Warrior
Twitter:https://twitter.com/Captain_Joe08
amped0808
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:13 pm

Hambone wrote:MHSAA gave waivers several years ago so teams could play out of state opponents but did away with them, byes in the middle of the season aren't good for teams anyway. UP football is stuck with 4 big schools and 4-5 small schools playing 11 man and everyone else is stuck in between. If you want to see teams beef up schedules, award playoff berths based on the 4 teams in each district with the highest playoff average regardless of records. You'd likely see some big schools sitting home at 6-3 because they chose to play cupcake schedules.

Ah thanks for the info on the past history. Thought it was done once before many years back. Kinda sounds like New Jersey where they go by points/strength of schedule.

On the post about Hancock I was surprised too about them being Class B thanks to co-op.

One last side note. Just caught part of the middle school game between DePere and Ashwaubenon. The DePere QB threw a pass. It bounced off the back of a players helmet and into the hands of a DePere receiver for a 1st down . :lol:
Hueby
All UP

Postby Zarek » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:24 pm

I believe hancock co-ops with 3 other schools. As it stands they are the 7th biggest team in division 5 with a enrollment classification of 584.
Zarek
Yooper Freak

Postby Yooper at Heart » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:54 pm

upman01 wrote:With all the talk here about teams changing conferences. Here's an article about Iron Mountain applying to the west pac.

http://www.ironmountaindailynews.com/sp ... -west-pac/

If many of the MPC schools move to the West PAC, does this force Gladstone back into the GNC?
Yooper at Heart
UP Fan

Postby amped0808 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:47 pm

I was thinking about it the last few days. In a fantasy (Doubt this will ever work with the WIAA) but If the Soo leaves, how about merging the Great Northern with the WI Great Northern. They'll be adding Wausau East to get 8 teams, and the remaining teams of the GNC would make 12 that could split into two divisions.

Great Northern North

Marquette
Escanaba
Menominee
Kingsford
Ashland
Lakeland

Great Northern South

Merrill
Medford
Wausau East
Antigo
Rhinelander
Mosinee

Granted there will be a lot of travel but everybody in the current GNC has to make a drive to Ashland and vice versa and UP GNC teams are used to traveling to finding games. Like I stated, I doubt it'll work.
amped0808
All UP

Postby amped0808 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:51 pm

Yooper at Heart wrote:
upman01 wrote:With all the talk here about teams changing conferences. Here's an article about Iron Mountain applying to the west pac.

If many of the MPC schools move to the West PAC, does this force Gladstone back into the GNC?

The question is would the West-Pac admit Iron Mountain? I think since they are at 12 teams I assume that the league wouldn't be hard pressed to add any more teams. I certainly hope that one off season for the Mountaineers in football wasn't the main motive for this.
amped0808
All UP

Postby Hueby » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:46 am

amped0808 wrote:I was thinking about it the last few days. In a fantasy (Doubt this will ever work with the WIAA) but If the Soo leaves, how about merging the Great Northern with the WI Great Northern. They'll be adding Wausau East to get 8 teams, and the remaining teams of the GNC would make 12 that could split into two divisions.

Great Northern North

Marquette
Escanaba
Menominee
Kingsford
Ashland
Lakeland

Great Northern South

Merrill
Medford
Wausau East
Antigo
Rhinelander
Mosinee

Granted there will be a lot of travel but everybody in the current GNC has to make a drive to Ashland and vice versa and UP GNC teams are used to traveling to finding games. Like I stated, I doubt it'll work.

I've always enjoyed doing this too! It's just fun thinking of potential match ups.

The GNC teams should closely monitor Wisconsin if they aren't already. In recent years an area sportswriter was pushing/mentioning about possible co-ops in football involving Green Bay East/Green Bay West (which they do for baseball) and Sheboygan North/South.

Sheboygan South has an outstanding freshman class and seem to be overdue for that really good team.

What we do know is Ashwaubenon is starting to express concerns of competitiveness in not just various boys and girls sports, but finally now in football.

West DePere has already made it public they want to leave the Bay Conference and join the FRCC in a couple years. Their enrollment is expected to surpass Ashwaubenon- who is the smallest public school in the conference. Yes, about 30% of Ashwaubenon is open enrollment but most don't come here for sports. Some do and in the past some have been outstanding student-athletes. Also you have many alumni who live in other nearby districts who OE their kids "because they can."

It's the student-athletes from the Green Bay schools who bolt to the suburbs. More and more have been heading up to Bay Port (who many feel should split- they have to turn away kids at 9th grade football- just can't take them all!)

But historically Notre Dame Academy taps into them through their city wide feeder programs.

Apologize got a little carried away but this is whats been going on. You have the "haves" and the "have nots."

Also you have to wonder how much longer D2 Kaukauna is willing to play against the D1 Appleton area schools. From Green Bay they are just a 25-30 minute straight shot down US-41.

Point being possible realignment/ripple effect to area conferences?
Hueby
All UP

Postby wisyoop » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:14 pm

Yooper at Heart wrote:

It might. It also might make more sense for Manistique to try to get into the NMFL for football & the SAC for all other sports. The remaining 5 MPC schools might be a good fit for the West PAC though.
wisyoop
New to Board

Postby ftballfan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:36 am

amped0808 wrote:I was thinking about it the last few days. In a fantasy (Doubt this will ever work with the WIAA) but If the Soo leaves, how about merging the Great Northern with the WI Great Northern. They'll be adding Wausau East to get 8 teams, and the remaining teams of the GNC would make 12 that could split into two divisions.

Great Northern North

Marquette
Escanaba
Menominee
Kingsford
Ashland
Lakeland

Great Northern South

Merrill
Medford
Wausau East
Antigo
Rhinelander
Mosinee

Haven't most (if not all) of the WI GNC schools played MI GNC schools in the recent past?
ftballfan
UP Football Guru

Postby pondrocket14 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:39 am

In regards to MPC teams wanting to play “down” (Westpac), it seems to me the Westpac has done pretty well against the MPC in recent years...maybe the tide is turning.
pondrocket14
Yooper Freak

Postby Yooper at Heart » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:06 pm

Looks like this story from today's Daily Mess answers my question:

http://www.dailypress.net/sports/local- ... -west-pac/
Yooper at Heart
UP Fan

Postby Hambone » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:15 pm

No wonder Manistique FB is a mess, the AD still thinks Rudyard plays 11 man football.
Hambone

Postby amped0808 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:19 pm

ftballfan wrote:

Great Northern North

Marquette
Escanaba
Menominee
Kingsford
Ashland
Lakeland

Great Northern South

Merrill
Medford
Wausau East
Antigo
Rhinelander
Mosinee

Haven't most (if not all) of the WI GNC schools played MI GNC schools in the recent past?

They have in the last few years.
amped0808
All UP

Previous

Return to Great Northern