GNC 2018 - Week 8

Conference talk for the Great Northern teams. Gladstone, Escanaba, Kingsford, Marquette, and Menominee

Moderator: Moderator Group

GNC 2018 - Week 8

Postby GNCrocks » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:41 am

Well here we are at the home stretch and usually we are talking about who is playing where come playoff time, but instead could have 3 teams barley make it or we could have a shut out; although I think Escanaba is the only safe team if they go 5-4.

Escanaba @ TC Central
Escanaba plays their 5th class A opponent this year in the Trojans, who have a chip on thier back and want to make a statement. So far they have taken care of business at 6-1, and have punched thier ticket to the D2 playoffs. The Eskymos are 5-2 after outscoring rival Gladstone 14-3 in the 2nd half. This year Escanaba has been a 2nd half team scoring 87% of their points this season post half time. Escanaba showed weakness in the passing defense scheme allowing Crow to throw for 278 yards last Friday, and on turf, I am afraid what TC could do. However, like the Detroit Loyola game, if Esky can keep their offense on the field for long sustained drives and score, the TC offense may never gel. Home team is just too much for the Mo's as this game will show them the kind of teams they would play post the districts.
Eskymos 20
Trojans 38

Menominee @ Kingsford
The Maroons gave Okemos a run in the first half, not sure if it was just lack of finesse or the long trip but eventually could not find the endzone in the 2nd half. Kingsford is 2-4 and eyeing a make or break game in Escanaba for week 9; they also have playoff revenge on their mind for the Maroons. Kingsford is hard to figure out the Gladstone loss makes me believe they can't do it, their history at home tells me they can; Maroons ruin the season...
Maroons 22
Flivvers 14

Gladstone @ Marquette
A win for the Redmen and they get thier first outright conf. title in 42 years. The odd side is the GNC champion may not make the playoffs. Marquette as a mathematical chance at the playoffs at 5-4 but its so slim its nearly none, which is a shame as they have played one helluva season. The Braves caught some GNC luck getting a 9th game as LLH stepped up to the plate and realize playing 9 games means more than winning, give your seniors a full schedule NO MATTER who you play. It will be played Sat, as LLH has no nights and will keep D5 on the edge until the end as Gladstone also has an outside chance at 5-4, better than Marquette's chance, not as good as Esky's. Jeff Hansen has taken a program that was headed to the ways of Manistique and made it respectful again; they will still always be little brother but no longer known as North Escanaba. Delta County is going to be a war for the next few years. Marquette's speed vs. Gladstone's passing attack. Braves pull it off and get much needed Class A playoff points.
Redmen 21
Braves 27

* I see a 7 team GNC conf. next year, more to come on that!
GNCrocks
All UP

Re: GNC 2018 - Week 8

Postby darthgold » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:42 pm

GNCrocks,

Who do you see joining the GNC next year? Sault returning would be a quick assumption, but who is the other team?
darthgold
UP Fan

Postby upfootball » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:34 pm

I'd love for GNCrocks to be correct with his theory on a 7 team GNC. Hopefully he is.

TC Central over Escanaba. TCC is just too talented for the Mo's in this one. Esky should make the playoffs though. I like them already even if they ended at 5 wins. Esky still in the picture for a share of GNC and possible Barber Trophy.

Marquette over Gladstone (by one point). Gladstone beat the Soo last year and lost to them this year. Now this is going to sound weird. Gladstone is better then last year. That loss to the Sault was against an emotional team. Otherwise Gladstone has had a nice season this year so far. They lost a key player to a broken leg but have an outside shot at the playoffs. The bad news for Marquette. They are eliminated from the playoffs. They are Class A. They have no shot at getting in at 5-4. The good news is Marquette is trying to win the GNC and the Barber Trophy for the first time since 1876. Just kidding. 1976 is long enough. They take a step here, clinching a share of the GNC.

Menominee over Kingsford. You expect me to go all year without picking a surprise? Flivvers played better last week. That's as clean of a game as I have seen from them this year. Menominee just found another way to lose it seems although it was against a good team and a long road trip. Last year the Maroons shocked the Flivvers in the playoffs. That game was memorable. The Maroons beat a more talented Kingsford team by basically running the same two plays against them all night (their two bread and butter tight formation Single Wing plays), essentially ball controlling Kingsford to death. It was the only game all season the Maroons did not turn the ball over constantly. Enter 2018. The Maroons have even worse ball security. Their game plan should be exactly the same as the one they had in the playoffs. Maroons officially send Flivvs packing from playoffs and any shot at GNC.
upfootball
Founder

Postby ftballfan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:51 pm

The seventh team will likely be Cheboygan. The only other school I can think of is Marinette (WI), and the WIAA won't allow that.
ftballfan
UP Football Guru

Postby upfootball » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:45 pm

Just read on Twitter that Kingsford is still looking for a Week 2 game in 2019, but has filled its other holes in the schedule with Menasha, Hortonville, Wausau East and Mischicot. That blows GNCrocks reshuffle out of the water.... for 2019 anyway.
upfootball
Founder

Postby GNCrocks » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:28 pm

Petoskey will be 6th team 2019/20
Alpena will follow as 7th 2030/2021
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby larrrs » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:30 am

Unless Eskymos can play a complete game and play at 110% throughout the game, I see no chance in winning this game with TCC. Now I want them to win, but its gonna have to take a complete team effort to win at TCC. This is also on the road where ESKY been a different team this season.
larrrs
All UP

Postby Chavez » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:16 pm

Tcc with a 35 yd td run to close the gap to 24-14 :shock:

Edit - apparently Esky is up 31-14, per Rich Withers reporting on MaxPreps
It takes 5 seconds - 5 seconds of decision; 5 seconds to realize your purpose here on the planet; it takes 5 seconds to realize that it's time to move, it's time to get down with it. I give you a testimonial - THE MC5!
Chavez
All UP

Postby Chavez » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:27 pm

31-21, 10 min to go
It takes 5 seconds - 5 seconds of decision; 5 seconds to realize your purpose here on the planet; it takes 5 seconds to realize that it's time to move, it's time to get down with it. I give you a testimonial - THE MC5!
Chavez
All UP

Postby upman01 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:30 pm

Kingsford up on Menominee 56-28 with 8 minutes to go.
upman01
UP Football Guru

Postby Chavez » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:32 pm

upman01 wrote:Kingsford up on Menominee 56-28 with 8 minutes to go.

Ouch. Rough uear for the Maroons.
Chavez
All UP

Postby Chavez » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:37 pm

Esky ball on TCC 34, <5 mins
Chavez
All UP

Postby Chavez » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:57 pm

Esky 38 vs TCC 21 is final
Chavez
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:12 pm

Chavez wrote:Esky 38 vs TCC 21 is final

That's an awesome job they did.
Hueby
All UP

Return to Great Northern Conference