Gladstone @ Kingsford - 2017 Pre-District

Conference talk for the Great Northern teams. Escanaba, Kingsford, Marquette, Menominee, and Sault Ste Marie

Moderator: Moderator Group

Gladstone @ Kingsford - 2017 Pre-District

Postby GNCrocks » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:57 am

We all knew this was coming...but I think this will still be a great game to watch for a while. Kingsford's O line will dominate the game. Gladstone's speed may give the Flivvers D some fits as did Escanaba's.
- Did Gladstone (mainly Matt Houle prior to leaving)set themselves up for failure with the conf. move and now having to face a team they are not ready for?..... To be determined
- Would a 6-3/5-4 GNC conf. schedule Gladstone team be better prepared for this game vs a 7-2 MidPen Schedule Gladstone team?.... YES

History: The last time these two played each other in the playoffs was a 42-22 Kingsford victory in 1990; And this was a 5-3 Gladstone team that qualified for the playoffs in OLD format...WOW how did that happen? Earlier that season Gladstone had lost to Kingsford 14-22. That year would also start the Kingsford 90's dynasty with thier first trip to the state championship eventually falling to Dearborn Robichaud Heights
GNCrocks
All UP

Re: Gladstone @ Kingsford - 2017 Pre-District

Postby frogyakker » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:01 am

GNCrocks:

You bring up a valid point on the conference switch maybe not having Gladstone as prepared for this meeting with Kingsford. The flip side to that is that,while in the GNC, Kingsford has lost to Gladstone twice in the last 30 years or so in the regular season(1988,1998). IF Kingsford beats Gladstone, given history, conference affiliation can't be used much as a reason why they lost. Make no mistake. The GNC was a better conference this year. The Braves MAY have benefitted from the sterner competition. History tells a different story though. They had trouble with KHS for many years. This is the second season and I expect a competitive game. I would give a slight nod to Kingsford..they are playing at a high level now. But it's October Madness!
Frogyakker
frogyakker
UP Football Guru

Postby GNCrocks » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:36 am

Its not HOW you play it's WHO you play.
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby frogyakker » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:44 am

That's one way of looking at it. It almost sounds like you are pre-building an excuse if Kingsford wins. Kingsford has had the upper hand for decades while they were in the same conference playing head to head. Does a more challenging schedule make you better...yes it can. But how you play on game night is the final judge. The team..any team...who plays a clean fundamental game has the best chance.Teams that "shouldn't win" do because the team that "should" missed tackles,fumbled ect. The weather sucks for tonight and that could be a factor all over the U.P. Looking forward to this game tonight!
Frogyakker
frogyakker
UP Football Guru

Postby norsupimk » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:41 am

Kingsfords strong point is their passing game. With this weather they will need to run the ball. They had trouble running against Escanaba and will have to get better if they want to advance. Turn overs will be a key in who wins tonight.
norsupimk
UP Football Guru

Postby scoopnscore » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:48 am

I see both sides in this argument. It is likely that had Gladstone been in the GNC this year they wouldn't have made the playoffs. So, in that regard are they better off being in the MPC? Probably, and I say that because anything can happen. Gladstone finished first in a very, and I mean very, weak MPC (the worst top to bottom that division has ever been most likely). If they are still in the GNC they would be lucky to finish 4th and in my opinion likely would have been 5th. I think Kingsford will win, and they may win by a lot. But, the conditions are going to be awful and that usually has a way of evening things out. The team that can control the line of scrimmage will likely win this game. Kingsford hasn't been the run, run, run team like we see a lot with them. It's possible that the cold, rainy, windy weather affects their game more than the Braves. I don't think it's enough to turn the tides, but as I said anything can happen. A few turnovers one way or the other can be hard to overcome on a day like today. So, looking at it from their program's point of view is it better to play better competition and be sitting home at 5-4 or 4-5, or be in the playoffs with a weaker schedule and at least having a shot?
I haven't failed, I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work - Thomas Edison
scoopnscore
All UP

Postby upfootball » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:54 am

It's going to be interesting to see what the results look like from around the State tonight with the weather. Haven't had to deal with it a lot this year surprisingly. Good teams don't let stuff like this bother them though.

I think Gladstone would have made the playoffs even if they were in the GNC. Maybe at 5-4, but they would have made it. I don't think they would have lost to Calumet after playing GNC schools all year. That's the difference.
upfootball
Founder

Postby GNCrocks » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:56 am

frogyakker wrote:That's one way of looking at it. It almost sounds like you are pre-building an excuse if Kingsford wins. Kingsford has had the upper hand for decades while they were in the same conference playing head to head. Does a more challenging schedule make you better...yes it can. But how you play on game night is the final judge. The team..any team...who plays a clean fundamental game has the best chance.Teams that "shouldn't win" do because the team that "should" missed tackles,fumbled ect. The weather sucks for tonight and that could be a factor all over the U.P. Looking forward to this game tonight!
Frogyakker

I honestly don't care who wins this game.
1. I hope its Gladstone to prove everyone wrong, but we are all right. Just because thier new coach does not have the P***Y type mentality that Matt Houle and a lot of the people there do.
2. I hope its Kingsford, I hope they make a deep run, they are too talented not too. Best O-Line north of Grand Rapids.

Weather sucks tonight but rain might break at kick off. Raining now but showing 20% chance at kick off in Esky
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby GNCrocks » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:57 am

upfootball wrote:It's going to be interesting to see what the results look like from around the State tonight with the weather. Haven't had to deal with it a lot this year surprisingly. Good teams don't let stuff like this bother them though.

I think Gladstone would have made the playoffs even if they were in the GNC. Maybe at 5-4, but they would have made it. I don't think they would have lost to Calumet after playing GNC schools all year. That's the difference.

Well said. Hope both teams come out injury free.
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby StLouFlivver58 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:04 pm

Anyone know if the game is streaming online?
StLouFlivver58
Yooper Freak

Postby upman01 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:11 pm

upman01
UP Football Guru

Postby StLouFlivver58 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:12 pm

Thanks a bunch!
StLouFlivver58
Yooper Freak

Postby larrrs » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:13 pm

any scores?

Oh Ouch for the Braves....Kingsford is definitely for real!
larrrs
All UP

Postby haulpack » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:49 pm

"Oh Ouch for the Braves....Kingsford is definitely for real![/quote]"
A statement like that is usually preceded by a lopsided score,do you have one,if so spit it out,inquiring minds want to know.:-)
"A fool and his money are soon parted,so just how long have you been broke"
haulpack
All UP

Postby upman01 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Kingsford leads 56 -18
upman01
UP Football Guru

Postby thirddown » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:56 pm

56-26. 6:33 left in game
thirddown
UP Football Guru

Postby GNCrocks » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:58 pm

Last edited by GNCrocks on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby 6miner6 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:05 pm

Heard from a very reliable source that a lineman from Gladstone basically quit at the half..went in the stands and sat by his parents..hope it’s not true..the free fall for Gladstone started after the Westwood game and has now reached its pinnacle by the sounds of things
6miner6
UP Football Guru

Postby GNCrocks » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:22 pm

Last edited by GNCrocks on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby larrrs » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:26 pm

should post that in the esky thread :)
larrrs
All UP

Return to Great Northern