2018 GNC Schedules

Conference talk for the Great Northern teams. Gladstone, Escanaba, Kingsford, Marquette, and Menominee

Moderator: Moderator Group

2018 GNC Schedules

Postby GNCrocks » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:00 am

I have included the Soo
Updated...

Escanaba
1. @ Alpena
2. PETOSKEY
3. DETROIT LOYOLA (SATURDAY GAME)
4. @ Marquette
5. SCHOFIELD DC EVEREST (WI) -homecoming
6. @ Gladstone
7. MENOMINEE
8.@ Traverse City Central
9. KINGSFORD

Kingsford
1. @Menasha (WI)
2. @ Fond du Lac - St.Mary's Springs (WI)
3. FOND DU LAC HIGH (WI)
4. GLADSTONE
5. @ Wausau East (WI)
6. MARQUETTE
7. LOMIRA (WI)
8. MENOMINEE
9. @ Escanaba

Menominee
1. @ Marinette (WI)
2. KAUKAUNA (WI)
3. GLADSTONE
4. @ Medford (WI)
5. SOUTHERN DOOR CO, Brussels (WI)
6. @ Escanaba
7. @ Okemos
8. @Kingsford
9. MARQUETTE


Gladstone
1. ST. IGNACE
2. @ Gaylord
3. @Menominee
4. @Kingsford
5. MAPLE CITY GLEN LAKE
6. @ Soo
7. ESCANABA
8.@ Marquette
9. -open-

Marquette schedule is filled.
1. TC St. FRANCIS
2. @ Traverse City Central
3. SOO
4. ESCANABA
5. PETOSKEY
6. @ Kingsford
7. @ Minocqua Lakeland(WI)
8. GLADSTONE
9. @ Menominee

SOO
1. @ Cheboygan
2. ALPENA
3. @ Marquette
4. @ Linconl-Alcona
5. @Ogemaw Heights
6. GLADSTONE
7. @ Rogers City
8. INDIAN RIVER/INDIAN LAKES HS
9. GAYLORD
Last edited by GNCrocks on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:55 am, edited 6 times in total.
GNCrocks
All UP
 
Posts: 1397
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Da U.P.

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby u.p.power » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:51 pm

so menominee still trying to fill there schedule?????
u.p.power
UP Football Guru
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:00 pm

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby upfootball » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:48 pm

Kingsford plays Marquette Week 6
User avatar
upfootball
Founder
 
Posts: 10012
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby ftballfan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:20 am

Marquette is going sandbagging with the addition of Class C Glen Lake
ftballfan
UP Football Guru
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby GNCrocks » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:45 pm

ftballfan wrote:Marquette is going sandbagging with the addition of Class C Glen Lake


They got a 9th game, and a team willing to make the trip to the U.P. and a 2 year contract and a full schedule. WITH THE MESS Gladstone made, its a WIN
GNCrocks
All UP
 
Posts: 1397
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Da U.P.

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby GNCrocks » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:48 pm

upfootball wrote:Kingsford plays Marquette Week 6


Correct. How and where Gladstone fits I can't makes sense of it until I see it.
GNCrocks
All UP
 
Posts: 1397
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Da U.P.

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby Hueby » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:42 pm

GNCrocks wrote:
ftballfan wrote:Marquette is going sandbagging with the addition of Class C Glen Lake


They got a 9th game, and a team willing to make the trip to the U.P. and a 2 year contract and a full schedule. WITH THE MESS Gladstone made, its a WIN


Personally I hope Marquette and Alpena can play each other. They would be good opponents (rural D2/D1 opponents) for each other & work the Michigan point system too.

Always like seeing Marquette come to Wisconsin...if only they could come closer...
Hueby
All UP
 
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:28 pm
Location: Green Bay, WI

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby 143 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:24 am

Hope all the 11 Man schedules, in the Upper Peninsula, are resolved soon. Officials also, need to start planning, work schedules, and vacation time, especially, if a JV and Varsity doubleheader is going to happen.
143
New to Board
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:14 am

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby steve grinsteiner » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:03 pm

Wow, Gladstone returns to the GNC, while the Sault leaves to join a downstate conference, the Big North I think. I'm confused how the UP conferences will end up like, the MPC, West PAC and GNC. Strange how things are changing these days.
steve grinsteiner
All UP
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:09 pm
Location: Stephenson

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby Up Football Fan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:00 pm

steve grinsteiner wrote:Wow, Gladstone returns to the GNC, while the Sault leaves to join a downstate conference, the Big North I think. I'm confused how the UP conferences will end up like, the MPC, West PAC and GNC. Strange how things are changing these days.



Sault is NOT joining the Big North...........rather, the Blue Devils are looking to join the "conference of blind Nuns"..........look at these games they picked up for 2018:

09-14 at Alcona
10-05 at Rogers City
10-12 Inland Lakes

What, Sisters of the Poor is available yet Sault?.........or perhaps, JV Cheerleaders United?................

come on Blue Devil A.D.............are you even serious?
Support your local school district.
User avatar
Up Football Fan
Moderator
 
Posts: 6101
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:45 pm
Location: Crystal Falls, MI

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby upfootball » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:23 pm

The state of the current Athletic Directors in the UP is pathetic. What a bunch of candy asses.

UP Football is dead. I not be attending games outside of the GNC and maybe some 8 man. The rest of it is a complete joke to me. Disgusted!!!!
User avatar
upfootball
Founder
 
Posts: 10012
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby Hueby » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:02 pm

Was surprised to see Negaunee on Gladstone ‘s schedule. So after reading about the WestPAC this game is a “no go” correct?
Hueby
All UP
 
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:28 pm
Location: Green Bay, WI

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby upfootball » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:19 pm

Any game involving a WestCRAP team is a no go Hueby.
User avatar
upfootball
Founder
 
Posts: 10012
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby Hueby » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:12 pm

upfootball wrote:Any game involving a WestCRAP team is a no go Hueby.


Got it thanks! So that would be another week for Gladstone to fill. One can't help but to wonder how that is going.

Edit: That would include their Gwinn game too!
Hueby
All UP
 
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:28 pm
Location: Green Bay, WI

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby Chavez » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:18 pm

Hueby wrote:
Always like seeing Marquette come to Wisconsin...if only they could come closer...



I was always under the assumption teams in NE Wisconsin got tired of getting their asses beat by Men, Kings, and Esky on a regular basis so GNC teams unfortunately need to go a bit farther afield.
It takes 5 seconds - 5 seconds of decision; 5 seconds to realize your purpose here on the planet; it takes 5 seconds to realize that it's time to move, it's time to get down with it. I give you a testimonial - THE MC5!
User avatar
Chavez
All UP
 
Posts: 1226
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:41 pm
Location: Neenah WI

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby GNCrocks » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:39 am

Update:
Gladstone:
1 - St. Ignace
2 - Gaylord
3 - Menominee
4 - Kingsford
5 - Maple City Glen Lake
6 - Soo
7 - Escanaba
8 - Marquette
9 - OPEN

Unsure who is at home and away at this point. Other than I know the Escanaba game is in Gladstone; and I am just assuming Maple City is not coming to the U.P. twice, so I will assume that game is on the road.

New AD has smarts, and Jeff Hansen is a top notch dude. Maybe just maybe they can undo the damage that Matt Houle has done. However, the Soo leaving the GNC is damaging scheduling, it would be nice to see them and or Cheboygan area teams come into the fold. Maybe Boyne City as they are now Class B.
GNCrocks
All UP
 
Posts: 1397
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Da U.P.

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby ftballfan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:04 pm

Soo, in addition to picking up Alcona and Rogers City, has picked up Inland Lakes: http://inlandlakeshighschool.bigteams.c ... id/4311166
ftballfan
UP Football Guru
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby upfootball » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:27 pm

You have got to be ****ing kidding me Sault......
User avatar
upfootball
Founder
 
Posts: 10012
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby ftballfan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:31 am

upfootball wrote:You have got to be ****ing kidding me Sault......


IL also picked up Ludington, which is basically the Sault of West Michigan as they're infamous for scheduling weak non-conference games (in the last few years, they've played Hesperia (and lost to them!), Hart, Farwell, Baldwin, and Mancelona; this past year, the Orioles went winless in their league but went 4-1 out of conference)
ftballfan
UP Football Guru
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby yooperguy1984 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:05 pm

Look, what do you want? The U.P. is aging. Football is harder than ever to recruit for and fund. Districts are losing tax dollars. Lansing cares less and less about what the U.P. does. The 8-man tourney was likely a major concession to U.P. school districts just to get those AD's to leave the MHSAA alone. Those mining jobs are never coming back, and are less likely to than the reanimated remains of The Gipper and Knute Rockne leading ND to a CFP title next season. So what's more likely to happen? Further co-ops, downsizing to 8-man squads, or straight-up dropping football altogether. Criticism is easy, policy is hard, and criticizing policy is the easiest thing of all. Everyone's got great ideas, much like school of choice was a great idea, and championed by the majority of families in this state. Now come the consequences, staring us in the face.
yooperguy1984
UP Fan
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:41 am

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby Hambone » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:33 pm

Not one person would be here criticizing Soo High if they left the GNC to play the likes of Gaylord, Grayling, and other downstate schools of similar size to their own. Leaving the GNC and putting small Class D schools on their schedule is fair game. They also didn't need to leave the rest of the conference hanging by just announcing that they were up and leaving, they could have given the conference a year lead time to help the rest fill schedules.
User avatar
Hambone
Moderator
 
Posts: 3700
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2002 2:51 pm

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby upfootball » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:53 pm

Hambone wrote:Not one person would be here criticizing Soo High if they left the GNC to play the likes of Gaylord, Grayling, and other downstate schools of similar size to their own. Leaving the GNC and putting small Class D schools on their schedule is fair game. They also didn't need to leave the rest of the conference hanging by just announcing that they were up and leaving, they could have given the conference a year lead time to help the rest fill schedules.

Exactly. Either you want to build your program to be good or you just want to pretend your having a good season every 5 years. I get the travel, but the Soo will have to travel to play anyone given their location. Playing that many D8 teams when your D3 is ridiculous anyway you cut it.
User avatar
upfootball
Founder
 
Posts: 10012
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby ftballfan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:32 am

upfootball wrote:
Hambone wrote:Not one person would be here criticizing Soo High if they left the GNC to play the likes of Gaylord, Grayling, and other downstate schools of similar size to their own. Leaving the GNC and putting small Class D schools on their schedule is fair game. They also didn't need to leave the rest of the conference hanging by just announcing that they were up and leaving, they could have given the conference a year lead time to help the rest fill schedules.

Exactly. Either you want to build your program to be good or you just want to pretend your having a good season every 5 years. I get the travel, but the Soo will have to travel to play anyone given their location. Playing that many D8 teams when your D3 is ridiculous anyway you cut it.


Especially three D8 schools that don't have much success. IMHO, the Sault should join the Northern Michigan Football League. Even though they would be the largest school (by less than people think), schools in that league include Cheboygan, Boyne City, Kalkaska, and Grayling, all of whom are Class B
ftballfan
UP Football Guru
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby amped0808 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:02 pm

ftballfan wrote:
upfootball wrote:
Hambone wrote:Not one person would be here criticizing Soo High if they left the GNC to play the likes of Gaylord, Grayling, and other downstate schools of similar size to their own. Leaving the GNC and putting small Class D schools on their schedule is fair game. They also didn't need to leave the rest of the conference hanging by just announcing that they were up and leaving, they could have given the conference a year lead time to help the rest fill schedules.

Exactly. Either you want to build your program to be good or you just want to pretend your having a good season every 5 years. I get the travel, but the Soo will have to travel to play anyone given their location. Playing that many D8 teams when your D3 is ridiculous anyway you cut it.


Especially three D8 schools that don't have much success. IMHO, the Sault should join the Northern Michigan Football League. Even though they would be the largest school (by less than people think), schools in that league include Cheboygan, Boyne City, Kalkaska, and Grayling, all of whom are Class B


Probably the best move for them and probably the NMFL if they decide to go that way and probably gives the league to possibly reshuffle their divisions to even things out.
2013 Wissports HOF Inductee
Wissports Message Board Moderator
Once a Warrior always a Warrior
Twitter:https://twitter.com/Captain_Joe08
User avatar
amped0808
All UP
 
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:40 am
Location: Milwaukee WI

Re: 2018 GNC Schedules

Postby HSFB Fan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:42 am

Any word on the schedules for Menominee and Kingsford?
HSFB Fan
UP Football Guru
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:06 am

Next

Return to Great Northern Conference

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest