The NFL Rules- To Hard of Hits?

Discuss anything about the National Football League. Fantasy Football talk also welcome here.

Moderator: Moderator Group

The NFL Rules- To Hard of Hits?

Postby UP Football 11 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:07 am

I dont know if its just me but it seem slike the NFL is just killing the game of football with all these fines and new rules i think its a load of BS, These are grown men out there playing for crying out loud these hard hits happen it all apart of the game. :x

Please share your thoughts on this one
UP Football 11
UP Fan

Re: The NFL Rules- To Hard of Hits?

Postby Hambone » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:19 am

Why don't you do a little bit of reading about the post-concussion syndrome problem, early onset of Parkinson's Disease and Dymensia, and other health problems players are having before making a comment like that! Helmet to helmet contact is not part of the game and I don't know a coach who teaches it. Pro careers are short enough without them having to end earlier because of preventable injuries.
Hambone

Postby Amasaman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:55 am

I tend to agree there are too many judgment calls nowadays. It was good the NFL took away the "force out" rule....No more judgment on whether the receiver could have come down in bounds or not. There have been some awfully bad calls this year though. They should allow the review of any call.

For instance, pass interference should have been called against Houston's Andre Johnson for a push off with the elbow. Francois for the Packers was a good yard away from the long snapper, and the Lions should have beat the Bears on the catch in the endzone for a TD. But seriously, when Tom Brady complains about a lineman being blocked into him, falls at his feet, but doesn't touch him, and gets a flag because of it, it has gone way too far.

Dale Earnhardt used to say something to the effect of "Shut up and drive! If it's too fast for you, slow down or get out of the car."

Well, these players know the sport is dangerous. Anybody that is dumb enough to lead with their helmet doesn't realize that they can be hurt just as easily as the person they are hitting. Trying to figure intent is the hardest part of the officials job, so I say take off the helmets and let's play ball!!! Then we'll see how tough these defenders are!!!
Remembering all veterans, especially those 99 on eternal patrol aboard the USS Scorpion SSN-589.
Amasaman
All UP

Postby Moose » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:20 pm

Ok, when they fined the Falcons db for the hitting Jackson when it was legal hit they are going to far. He hit him in the shoulder and his helmet bounced off and hit Jackson in the chin. I do not agree with that fine.

Now what about this situation? A RB lowers his head to hit a DB while he is tackling the RB, now they both hit helmets and the RB gets knocked out. Who is to blame for this hit? Sure its not a WR going up for a pass, but still the same situation.

I understand that they are trying to protect the players and all but if someone is making a tackle and hits a player hard and just so happens to hit his head shouldnt be fined or suspended.
Walrack - Boddy wouldn't change the defense to a 4-3 where they could utilize my natural playmaking abilities as a roaming free safety, woulda won states if he woulda listened.
Moose
All UP

Postby Hambone » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:36 pm

This is a link to ESPN analyst, Mark Schlerath's take on the NFL's new stance on hitting...he's pretty passionate about what is going on and blames the NFL.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=570631 ... id=2378529
Hambone

Postby Amasaman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:23 pm

Moose wrote:Now what about this situation? A RB lowers his head to hit a DB while he is tackling the RB, now they both hit helmets and the RB gets knocked out. Who is to blame for this hit? Sure its not a WR going up for a pass, but still the same situation.

As I was reading this, I was thinking back to Earl Campbell. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsegJVLrmk8

Definitely leading with the crown of his helmet!!!
Remembering all veterans, especially those 99 on eternal patrol aboard the USS Scorpion SSN-589.
Amasaman
All UP

Postby Soldier in Colorado » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:57 pm

No one is more professional than I...
Soldier in Colorado
UP Football Guru

Postby Moose » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:22 pm

Haha exactly Amasaman. How are you suppose to avoid that if your are going for a tackle in a proper form and he meets your head level. It will be the defenders fault.
Walrack - Boddy wouldn't change the defense to a 4-3 where they could utilize my natural playmaking abilities as a roaming free safety, woulda won states if he woulda listened.
Moose
All UP

Postby upfootball » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:37 pm

I can solve this. Give the offensive players the good helmets and give the defensive players the ones they wore in the 70's. That way if the defender is stupid enough to lead with his head he will be the one that pays the price for it.

On everything else I tend to agree with Amasaman's first response.
upfootball
Founder

Postby All-U.P.DreamTeam'86 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:18 pm

upfootball wrote:I can solve this. Give the offensive players the good helmets and give the defensive players the ones they wore in the 70's. That way if the defender is stupid enough to lead with his head he will be the one that pays the price for it.

On everything else I tend to agree with Amasaman's first response.

I actually posted this on a different blog, but I said give the defense the old leather helmets.
Go Trojans!!!
All-U.P.DreamTeam'86
All UP

Postby UP Football 11 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:55 am

Hambone wrote:Why don't you do a little bit of reading about the post-concussion syndrome problem, early onset of Parkinson's Disease and Dymensia, and other health problems players are having before making a comment like that! Helmet to helmet contact is not part of the game and I don't know a coach who teaches it. Pro careers are short enough without them having to end earlier because of preventable injuries.

ITS FOOTBALL, This stuff happens in the game its a fast game how the hell are you suppose to stop on a dime from hitting someone?, where i am coming from im not meaning leaning with your helmet is right no but the fines that were handed out were ridiculous except one Merriwethers hit shouldve been the only one fined Harrison's hits were clean and so was the one on DeSean Jackson, If you are scared to play or scared to get hurt then get the hell off the field, you know what your signing up for when you go to the NFL, Injuries are a part of the game if your to scared your gonna get hurt then dont go and play, its plain and simple
UP Football 11
UP Fan

Postby UP Football 11 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:57 am

Amasaman wrote:I tend to agree there are too many judgment calls nowadays. It was good the NFL took away the "force out" rule....No more judgment on whether the receiver could have come down in bounds or not. There have been some awfully bad calls this year though. They should allow the review of any call.

For instance, pass interference should have been called against Houston's Andre Johnson for a push off with the elbow. Francois for the Packers was a good yard away from the long snapper, and the Lions should have beat the Bears on the catch in the endzone for a TD. But seriously, when Tom Brady complains about a lineman being blocked into him, falls at his feet, but doesn't touch him, and gets a flag because of it, it has gone way too far.

Dale Earnhardt used to say something to the effect of "Shut up and drive! If it's too fast for you, slow down or get out of the car."

Well, these players know the sport is dangerous. Anybody that is dumb enough to lead with their helmet doesn't realize that they can be hurt just as easily as the person they are hitting. Trying to figure intent is the hardest part of the officials job, so I say take off the helmets and let's play ball!!! Then we'll see how tough these defenders are!!!

I Completely Agree
UP Football 11
UP Fan

Postby UP Football 11 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:04 am

Heres what all the players have to say about it and i wont argue with them i completely agree with most of them.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... _headlines
UP Football 11
UP Fan

Postby glip3441 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:14 am

Mark Schlerath's interview speaks for what almost all the players are feeling right now in my opinion. How can the NFL embrace this type of play on one hand and reprimand them for it on the other. Helmet-to-helmet needs to fined if it is intentional(which i think looks obvious) but these other hits are what fans want to see, and to be realistic teammates of the players making these big hits love it too. I don't think anyone is out there to end anyone else's career but they are doing everything in their power to make opponents think twice about cutting across the middle of the field or going up for a catch on a go route.
glip3441
UP Fan

Postby rrlaker » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:28 am

The way the league has evolved into a mega-market brand name is certainly a factor here. The NFL's popularity in American culture has driven a change in the way the game is played. Once talented athletes have now become finely tuned machines. Players are bigger, faster, and stronger than ever. Parity has scripted a very fine line a between NFL superstar and just merely making the roster. For a player to get their shot they need to stand out. Throw the ball further, run faster, or deliver the explosive hit. I have no doubt the league wants to protect it's players. But make no mistake about it, the NFL is no different than any other corporate money making machine. The commissioner's lashing out of staggering fines was nothing more than a smoothing of the water on a coincidental weekend in the NFL.
Half the game is 90% mental- Yogi Berra
rrlaker
All UP

Return to NFL Football