Packers v Steelers

Discuss anything about the National Football League. Fantasy Football talk also welcome here.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Packers v Steelers

Postby frogyakker » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:44 am

Footballers...

How about it...who wins and why.

Frogyakker
frogyakker
UP Football Guru

Re: Packers v Steelers

Postby Chavez » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:07 pm

Coin flip. Still enjoying the BEING in the SB for GB, haven't looked hard at the Steelers. All I know is that they're really f'in good.
It takes 5 seconds - 5 seconds of decision; 5 seconds to realize your purpose here on the planet; it takes 5 seconds to realize that it's time to move, it's time to get down with it. I give you a testimonial - THE MC5!
Chavez
All UP

Postby All-U.P.DreamTeam'86 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:58 am

Shouldn't even post, don't want to jinx them. Not going to say anything until after the game. Haven't said a word all playoffs and look whats happened. See you in a couple weeks. :shock: :roll:
Go Trojans!!!
All-U.P.DreamTeam'86
All UP

Postby upfootball » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:48 pm

I am shocked the Packers are the favorite. This is the first time in my lifetime I actually disagree with the odds makers as to who the favorite is.

The Packers are playing good ball. No doubt. Starks all of a sudden giving them a respectable running game has been key.

In my opinion however the NFC was really weak this year. The Seahawks even won a playoff game after getting into the playoffs at 7-9!

The AFC is very tough. Built around very tough defenses. Pittsburgh came out of a group of good teams as the survivor (New England, Baltimore, NY Jets). they have a good defense, a good running game, and a good QB who makes smart decisions and can move in the pocket. I really think Pittsburgh pulls away in the second half and wins by 7 after the Packers score a late TD.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Amasaman » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:14 am

The Packers beat the Bears and rubbed Lovie Smith's nose into his #1 priority upon being hired as Chicago's coach of beating Green Bay. That's all that matters here.

A Super Bowl win would be icing on the cake, but if McCarthy doesn't get his head out of his ass and stay aggressive all game long, the Steelers will pul this out just like they did against Arizona.
Remembering all veterans, especially those 99 on eternal patrol aboard the USS Scorpion SSN-589.
Amasaman
All UP

Postby All-U.P.DreamTeam'86 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:46 pm

Amasaman wrote:A Super Bowl win would be icing on the cake, but if McCarthy doesn't get his head out of his ass and stay aggressive all game long, the Steelers will pull this out just like they did against Arizona.

And there you have it, but I didn't have to post it, so i'm not jinxing them, but totally agree. 8)
Go Trojans!!!
All-U.P.DreamTeam'86
All UP

Postby yooper power » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:05 pm

The Packer fans at work are driving me "SILLY" and I can't afford more of that :lol: ,their running around doing the Aaron Rodgers peoples champion belt move.I would love to see the Steelers give the Packers a thirty five point beating,but that's not going to happen I will take the Steelers by 3.
Yooper playoff motto when playing the trolls:"You Take On One Yooper Team You Got Us All"
"2630 Never to be broken"
yooper power
All UP

Postby upfootball » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:57 pm

yooper power wrote:The Packer fans at work are driving me "SILLY" and I can't afford more of that :lol: ,their running around doing the Aaron Rodgers peoples champion belt move.I would love to see the Steelers give the Packers a thirty five point beating,but that's not going to happen I will take the Steelers by 3.

Haha!! Do I feel that. I found this out about myself. When I moved away from this area I found myself pulling for the Packers when they played (even though I am not a fan). When I moved back I found myself hoping for the same 35 point beating for somebody to put on them every single game they played.

Its hard to put up with stupid. Thats all I am going to say. :lol:
upfootball
Founder

Postby gbpack12 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:23 pm

I like the packers in this game. Its a toss up and i feel like the packers should be favored, but only by 1 point.

Its going to come down to Rodgers vs Roethlisberger and who ever can make a big play towards the end of the game. I personally love the belt celebration, how could you not?! Rodgers used to do that as a backup behind favre when he felt that he needed to pump up the backups in practice. Just watched a special on ESPN about it.

Anyways, i got the packers winning 27-24, Rodgers will run or toss a td in the final minute, and you will see the belt celebration no doubt. lol.
gbpack12
UP Fan

Postby yooper power » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:03 pm

I don't know if I can handle going to work Tuesday,it is going to be total agony putting up with the Packer fans. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Yooper playoff motto when playing the trolls:"You Take On One Yooper Team You Got Us All"
"2630 Never to be broken"
yooper power
All UP

Postby upfootball » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:38 am

yooper power wrote:I don't know if I can handle going to work Tuesday,it is going to be total agony putting up with the Packer fans. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

On the bright side (for some)..... The league has achieved total parity. This isnt the league with those dominant teams like the Packers of the 60's, the Steelers of the 70's, The 49er's of the 80's, or even the Cowboys of the 90's. Anybody can win the Super Bowl now. You dont have to go through a powerhouse to get there. You can be missing 6 starters from your opening day team and still win. The Detroit Lions have as good a shot as anyone next season. For once I am not joking.

Give the Pack credit they made the plays to get to and win the Super Bowl. I would have never expected the Steelers to play that bad though. All those penalties and turnovers? Amazing they were even close.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Hambone » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:28 am

Five different winners in five years, I think that is exactly what the NFL wanted. The funny part of it is that only the Saints even made the playoffs the year after winning a Super Bowl in the past few years. The owners and the players both need to get a clue, the NFL is rolling right now in popularity a lock out would be devastating.

The Packers made enough plays to win, the Steelers helped a ton with the turnovers.
Hambone

Postby upfootball » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:48 pm

I agree with your entire post Hambone.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Chavez » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:43 am

upfootball wrote:Give the Pack credit they made the plays to get to and win the Super Bowl. I would have never expected the Steelers to play that bad though. All those penalties and turnovers? Amazing they were even close.

You can thank all the drops - at least one more td, and I think they had 3 drops that would have extended other drives.
It takes 5 seconds - 5 seconds of decision; 5 seconds to realize your purpose here on the planet; it takes 5 seconds to realize that it's time to move, it's time to get down with it. I give you a testimonial - THE MC5!
Chavez
All UP

Postby Chavez » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:45 am

upfootball wrote: The Detroit Lions have as good a shot as anyone next season. For once I am not joking.

Not sure they have the QB, or the RB to carry the offense when the QB isn't there. I like Stafford's moxie, but he can't stay healthy, and while it appears that Shaun Hill and Drew Stanton might give Det one of the better QB depth charts in the league, I can't see either of them pulling a Hostetler.
Chavez
All UP

Postby upfootball » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:45 am

Chavez... for sure it would hurt if the Lions if Stafford got hurt again next season. But remember that certain QB from GB that seemed injury prone early in his career? I think his name was Rodgers. The difference between Stafford and Rodgers early in their career to this point is this... Stafford had to play with a bad team from his rookie season. Rodgers was groomed nicely and seamed into place with a team that was solid.

I have nothing bad to say about Rodgers. I thought maybe he was injury prone early in his career. Even though he had a couple concusions this year that has proven to be false. The guy is a very accurate QB and his mobility helps him greatly. He is a darn good one.

For once the Lions have something to build off. They have a front four on defense that gives the league fits.... particularly the Packers. They have one of the best WR in the league and some decent depth at that position. They have one of the best looking young RB in the league and some nice depth there as well. They have a QB that looks good when healthy and a better backup then most NFL teams have. They have solid TE's. The offensive line is even coming together. This isn't Matt Millen's team anymore. The potential is there. Who says they cant win the Super Bowl next year. It has been proven over the last 5 years that it is absolutely anyones to be had.

BTW - Yes the Packers had some drops. But drops from guys that normally drop passes like that. It wasnt a surprise. Jones and Jordy are not high profile receivers. I saw Rodgers miss a couple open guys two times also. Should we talk about that? Your nitpicking. If they wouldnt have had those drops they would have played absolutely the perfect game. Pittsburgh was far away from playing the perfect game. You dont usually see Super Bowl teams shoot themselves in the foot as often as they did. I saw one dumb penalty that cost them almost 50 yards in one play.

Anyway if the NFL plays next season it will be another interesting year. Can the Jets get to the Super Bowl despite the fact that Mark Sanchez cant make NFL throws with his weak arm? Two AFC Championship games in a row for them. They are starting to remind me of the Eagles. Good, but not good enough. Can a NFC West team get a winning record?
upfootball
Founder

Postby Chavez » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:44 pm

upfootball wrote:Chavez... for sure it would hurt if the Lions if Stafford got hurt again next season. But remember that certain QB from GB that seemed injury prone early in his career? I think his name was Rodgers. The difference between Stafford and Rodgers early in their career to this point is this... Stafford had to play with a bad team from his rookie season. Rodgers was groomed nicely and seamed into place with a team that was solid.

For once the Lions have something to build off. They have a front four on defense that gives the league fits.... particularly the Packers. They have one of the best WR in the league and some decent depth at that position. They have one of the best looking young RB in the league and some nice depth there as well. They have a QB that looks good when healthy and a better backup then most NFL teams have. They have solid TE's. The offensive line is even coming together. This isn't Matt Millen's team anymore. The potential is there. Who says they cant win the Super Bowl next year. It has been proven over the last 5 years that it is absolutely anyones to be had.

I'm not slamming the Lions at all - I can't remember if I posted it here but my "crazy talking-out-the-ass" NFL prediction was the the Lions would be within a game of .500 in the 2nd half of the season...and believe it or not, even at 2-10 I feel that prediction wasn't that far off. They're on the right track, I just don't think they're quite SB ready...but probably as well-positioned as any lower-tier NFL team to make a step up...possibly a BIIG one.

But that big step is predicated on Stafford staying healthy, and probably a quality RBBC - Best is an explosive playmaker, but I don't think he's a bell-cow RB.

BTW - Yes the Packers had some drops. But drops from guys that normally drop passes like that. It wasnt a surprise. Jones and Jordy are not high profile receivers. I saw Rodgers miss a couple open guys two times also. Should we talk about that? Your nitpicking. If they wouldnt have had those drops they would have played absolutely the perfect game. Pittsburgh was far away from playing the perfect game. You dont usually see Super Bowl teams shoot themselves in the foot as often as they did. I saw one dumb penalty that cost them almost 50 yards in one play.

I'm not nitpicking - but if someone is going to play "woulda coulda shoulda" with turnovers - all of which I'd qualify as "forced" by GB as opposed to stupid/sloppy Steeler play - I think it's fair to point out that GB probably left some points out there when all was said and done.

I thought it was overall pretty even - GB had some costly penalties as well (not the least of which was that phantom facemask call); GB came close to dominating the entire first half, Pitt dominated the 3rd quarter, and then they traded punches in the 4th. It may not have been the most aesthetically pleasing SB but it was a pretty hard-fought, fairly-officiated game. I think the better team on that day was the winner, but I'm glad it wasn't a best two-out-of-three series.
Chavez
All UP

Return to NFL Football