Detroit Lions, Playoff Team?

Discuss anything about the National Football League. Fantasy Football talk also welcome here.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Re: Detroit Lions, Playoff Team?

Postby IMfan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:15 pm

I have to agree about all the pressure being on GB. Thursdays game will hinge on GBs defense, if they can stop the Lions O it will be another long turkey day for Detroit. I don't see Detroits D stopping GBs O. If the Lions can score often enough it might be a very good game though.
IMfan
UP Football Guru

Postby upfootball » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:23 pm

To me the key is Detroits defensive line. If they can get all their players back and they are relatively healthy they could give Rodgers and company a tough game. Detroit is built to matchup well with Green Bay. Their defensive line is capable of pressuring Rodgers all day and wearing out GB's offensive line with their rotation.

Having the capability to do it is one thing. Doing it is another. As for the rest of the Lion team including special teams (which have been horrible at kick coverage) dont give up big plays, dont turn the ball over, and make Rodgers score the TD's. Dont give them freebies on defense and special teams.

That said I think Green Bay wins 35-24.
upfootball
Founder

Postby old25 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:05 am

All this talk about what "IF". What if the Lions didn't have the big comebacks. What if the Packers go 16-0, etc. How about "what if Rodgers goes down with an injury for the rest of the year". It happens all the time on the most innocent looking plays. Look at how Stafford broke his finger. Rodgers goes down and the Packers become a less than .500 team. That's why I think all of these predictions are for the birds because nobody can predict these kind of injuries. And that's my prediction. :P
old25
UP Football Guru

Postby IMfan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:21 am

upfootball wrote:
That said I think Green Bay wins 35-24.

I pretty much agree with everything you said and I'm not expecting a win here. My hope is they can keep pace with GB, make it an interesting game, and maybe have a shot at a win. I mean heck, based on the second half of the Panthers game it appears that Stafford has figured out how to throw with a broken finger. Now if we could just get him to improve on his accuracy with the pass.
IMfan
UP Football Guru

Postby upfootball » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:17 am

I do think everyone not wearing cheese on their head will be pulling for the Lions. Everyone loves the underdog, everyone gets sick of the champion. Look at all the New England haters out there. I remember when everyone was rooting for them against the favored Rams in the Super Bowl. Now that they have been successful for a number of years most people are sick of them. Just the way it rolls.

There is a reason the Lions have three comeback wins from 17 points or more down this season. First reason is the other team has a better game plan. The Lions coaching staff doesnt do a great job in that department. The second is the Lions do wear on the other team with that defensive line. It always shows up in the second half. If the game is within 2 touchdowns at halftime I think the Lions still have a good shot. I would defer the kickoff to the second half. The Lions dont show up until then anyway.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Chavez » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:49 pm

old25 wrote:All this talk about what "IF". What if the Lions didn't have the big comebacks. What if the Packers go 16-0, etc. How about "what if Rodgers goes down with an injury for the rest of the year". It happens all the time on the most innocent looking plays. Look at how Stafford broke his finger. Rodgers goes down and the Packers become a less than .500 team. That's why I think all of these predictions are for the birds because nobody can predict these kind of injuries. And that's my prediction. :P

Matt Flynn looks like he can run the offense pretty well...I'd say if Rodgers goes down it would probably be similar to Matt Cassell coming in when Brady went down a few yrs back - you go from "best in the league with the MVP" to "playoff contender."

I DON'T think GB goes from 11-0 to closing on 0-5 with Flynn in there.
It takes 5 seconds - 5 seconds of decision; 5 seconds to realize your purpose here on the planet; it takes 5 seconds to realize that it's time to move, it's time to get down with it. I give you a testimonial - THE MC5!
Chavez
All UP

Postby upfootball » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:32 am

Chavez wrote:I DON'T think GB goes from 11-0 to closing on 0-5 with Flynn in there.

I would agree, but that said the Packers would be nowhere near the team they are now. They would beat teams they should and lose to tough teams with Flynn in there and maybe lose to some they shouldnt. I think the Cassell comparision is good. Takes a team that would be near unbeaten to a 10-6 team and a first round exit. I thought the Cheifs were nuts to sign him to the contract they did. For the most part I stand behind that thought.

Lions were a disappointment on Turkey Day. They should look at that game as a big learning experience. The Packers are not far more talented then the Lions, but they are light years ahead in the mental part of the game. Hopefully the Lions can rebound but losing half of an already poor secondary might be a killer for them. They can probably still get by with their 4th and 5th string running backs.

Suh is the best defensive linemen in football, but if he doesnt learn how to contain his emotions he is going to hurt his team more then he helps them. That was just juvenile. I hope he mans up, takes a look in the mirror and makes that change.

The best thing that could happen to the Packers would be to get beat by the NY Giants next week. If the Packers get beat in the regular season I think they win another Super Bowl. If they go unbeaten, I think they fall short of that goal. I'm telling you that monkey on your back for an unbeaten record is too much. You go from having fun to being in the microscope and having an enormous amount of pressure on you. If I was McCarthy I would also sit my starters an entire game after everything was wrapped up. He will take a lot of heat if he does though. But it is the right decision.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Amasaman » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:12 pm

upfootball wrote:Suh is the best defensive linemen in football, but if he doesnt learn how to contain his emotions he is going to hurt his team more then he helps them. That was just juvenile. I hope he mans up, takes a look in the mirror and makes that change.

His post game comments were absurd!
Remembering all veterans, especially those 99 on eternal patrol aboard the USS Scorpion SSN-589.
Amasaman
All UP

Postby Chavez » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:04 pm

Amasaman wrote:
His post game comments were absurd!

Really, maybe I'm parsing here but if it was an accident, the FIRST person he should have been apologizing to is Dietrich-Smith - "yo dude, didn't mean to step on your arm."

The fact he didn't means he stomped him on purpose IMO.
It takes 5 seconds - 5 seconds of decision; 5 seconds to realize your purpose here on the planet; it takes 5 seconds to realize that it's time to move, it's time to get down with it. I give you a testimonial - THE MC5!
Chavez
All UP

Postby yooper power » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:49 pm

Clearly by now everyone knows I feel no pity for the Packers,but Ndamukong Suh is a complete "IDIOT" who will never figure out the rules even after his meeting with the NFL big guy.let's see you can't grab the QB by the helmet twist his head around and throw him to the ground,you can't grab the QB's facemask spin him around and rip off his helmet.you can't stomp on someone and then come up with a idiotic excuse.now either Suh is a total idiot or he has some mental issues,suspend him 4 games and fine him $50,000.00 maybe that will start to get this morons attention.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jet ... VvUGhd44pN
Yooper playoff motto when playing the trolls:"You Take On One Yooper Team You Got Us All"
"2630 Never to be broken"
yooper power
All UP

Postby upfootball » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:03 pm

I would be surprised if he is suspended. He didnt really get him like I think he wanted to. But he will get a substantial fine. I have seen guys get tossed for fighting that were not suspended.

But until Suh mans up and accepts the fact that he loses control of his emotions out there, I expect it to only get worse. The Detroit staff has to sit him down and have a serious conversation with him.
upfootball
Founder

Postby old25 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:37 am

Chavez-I meant that the packers were a .500 team without Rogers. With 6 games left at that time they would go 3-3 which would put them at 13-3. I don't see Flynn making anything like the throws that Rodgers can. Offense would have to adapt and put in some different things for him. Most people wouldn't have thought the Colts would be .000 without Manning either.
old25
UP Football Guru

Postby Chavez » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:53 pm

old25 wrote:Chavez-I meant that the packers were a .500 team without Rogers. With 6 games left at that time they would go 3-3 which would put them at 13-3. I don't see Flynn making anything like the throws that Rodgers can. Offense would have to adapt and put in some different things for him. Most people wouldn't have thought the Colts would be .000 without Manning either.

Well, I don't think many thought they'd be 8-8 without Manning. I've been hearing for quite some time that Indy lacks a stud RB, any real quality WR aside from Reggie Wayne, and their defense lacks playmakers and is paper-thin.

Not to mention they have ZERO QBs worth starting in the NFL without Manning. Flynn may not be MVP-caliber, but he can be competent, and Tim Tebow has shown what even a limited QB can do if he just doesn't make stupid mistakes.

I think Matt Cassell and the Pats are probably the best comparison to make. Is Cassell a great QB? No, but he's more competent enough, and in NE had one of the best coaches in the business. Similar situation to GB.
Chavez
All UP

Postby upfootball » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:13 am

Tim Tebow is as good as his defense. Most overhyped player I have seen in quite some time. Great guy, lousy QB. If Tebow was the Packers QB they would be 0-11. I guarantee it.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Amasaman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:32 pm

Suh was suspended for two games.

They were making headlines when they were 5-0, now they are making headlines for the wrong reasons.

Still overhyped, and might make the playoffs by the skin of their teeth now, but need help from other teams, like the Falcons, Bears, Cowboys and the Giants.

Having the Saints next week will not be good..... :lol:
Remembering all veterans, especially those 99 on eternal patrol aboard the USS Scorpion SSN-589.
Amasaman
All UP

Postby upfootball » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:26 pm

I still dont think they were overhyped. Buffalo was getting more attension then the Lions were. Anyone who knows football knows they have a ways to go before they can take that next step. You were probably just annoyed by a dumb fan.

They finally have some talent. Now they need depth and most importantly they need to understand the mental part of the game.

Suh got the appropriate punishment based on the reputation he has made for himself. I truly hope he takes the time to grow from this. The guy is too good to lose his cool out there.

I dont think they will make the playoffs. Suh's absense will hurt and the secondary is in rough shape. Need a few more players and a little more maturity.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Amasaman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:32 pm

I was more annoyed by the networks devoting 10 minutes to talk about the undefeated Lions and 10 minutes to talk about the undefeated Bills.

Oh, by the way, the Packers are undefeated too, but lets go back to the Lions and Bills and talk about them for another 10 minutes until the program is over. Then the next Sportscenter or NFL32 or Monday Night Countdown or whatever else was NFL related with a different cast of talking heads would do the same thing over and over. The Harbaugh-Schwartz handshake fiasco got more time than the Packers. The Super Bowl winning Green Bay Packers are undefeated and were just a sidenote.

I get to laugh now though, as the Bills fell off the face of the earth and the Lions aren't too far behind, except that a thug named Suh is being talked about for 10 minutes at a crack.
Amasaman
All UP

Postby upfootball » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:22 pm

One team kicking everyone rear ends is boring. They talk about things that get ratings. Everyone knows the Packers are good. Its not a story. The Bills and the Lions were stories. Two teams unbeaten after 5 games who normally struggle to win one all season. The Lions were predicted to be a 6-10 team this season. The Packers were predicted to win the Super Bowl. Can you see how they would not be spending much time on Green Bay?

Now what are the current headlines? Tebow. Laughs out loud....

If I'm the Packers this is good. As soon as the media gets this unbeaten story, they are going to put the Packers in the microscope and then you will wish they were still talking about Tebow.
upfootball
Founder

Postby tbsgc2 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:50 pm

upfootball wrote:
If I'm the Packers this is good. As soon as the media gets this unbeaten story, they are going to put the Packers in the microscope and then you will wish they were still talking about Tebow.

These are my thoughts exactly...but after thinking about it I could always use a little more Rachel Nichols in my life. :lol:
tbsgc2
All UP

Postby yooper power » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:27 pm

Looks like Ndamukong Suh still has some problems.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... into-tree/
Yooper playoff motto when playing the trolls:"You Take On One Yooper Team You Got Us All"
"2630 Never to be broken"
yooper power
All UP

Postby upfootball » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:08 pm

A minor car crash is nothing compared to what some of the Packers legal problems are.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Hambone » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:39 am

They said last night on ESPN that Suh was not impaired, just lost control of his vehicle. At least this guys's not a drug dealer like former Packer Johnny Jolly who just got six years in a Texas prison....
Hambone

Postby Eagle Backer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:45 am

The lions are young and emotionally immature but they have talent and are mean and hungry. They will get nothing but better and more dangerous as they move forward. You can say what You want but us lions fans are happy to finally have a team with some fire even if it means a few packers get stepped on along the way... the lions were comfortable with loosing for far too long!
"The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure. These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur." Vince Lombardi
Eagle Backer
All UP

Postby Chavez » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:28 am

Eagle Backer wrote:The lions are young and emotionally immature but they have talent and are mean and hungry. They will get nothing but better and more dangerous as they move forward. You can say what You want but us lions fans are happy to finally have a team with some fire even if it means a few packers get stepped on along the way... the lions were comfortable with loosing for far too long!

The thing is the Lions have to properly channel that fire - Houston and Atlanta under Jerry Glanville tried to evoke that "Raider mentality" and it just doesn't work. Obviously it revitalized to moribund franchises, but as a long-term strategy it just isn't going to get you there - against inferior teams, sure you can draw some stupid penalties and simply out-talent/out-hustle them to a win. You start taking points off the board or giving easy first down to teams like SF, GB, and NO, and you aren't long for the playoff world.

Those Houston teams were ridiculously talented, but firstly Glanville isn't a great coach (he's good, but not great - of course Tom Coughlin, Brian Billick, and Jon Gruden aren't "great" either and they have won SBs) so he wasn't going to out-scheme anyone; secondly they had too many players focused on beating UP the guy in front of you as opposed to just beating them.
Chavez
All UP

Postby Eagle Backer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:14 am

I agree but you have to havery fire to channel it. Hopefully the mature...soon.
"The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure. These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur." Vince Lombardi
Eagle Backer
All UP

PreviousNext

Return to NFL Football