lagarette blount

A board dedicated to NCAA Division 1 Football.

Moderator: Moderator Group

lagarette blount

Postby d-line63 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:58 am

lagarette blount (spelling might be wrong) punches boise state player after loss to the broncos...

i watched this live and thought it was a shocking moment, and it must have been an embarrasing moment for his coaches and team mates but i still feel that suspension for this kid's entire senior season is a little bit too harsh. i believe the ducks shoudlve suspended him for 4-6 games.

Also, Boise State should be embarrassed that their fans waited at the oregon tunnel just to jeer and taunt them off the field. I understand that the nature of a college student sports fan is to get drunk before the game, and there's nothing boise can do about that, but the fan's behavior was just as out of line.

i also wanted to punch the boise player that was talking trash to blount while i was watching it. i would not have punched him but i wouldve really wanted too. badly. i believe it is absolutely unfair that the other kid's only punishment will be lots and lots of windsprints. (i assume)

We've all been there. we've all lost a game we really really wanted to win, and sometimes when you are kicked when your down you overreact to the situation for your pride's sake.

overall this is a very ugly situation for the two universities, the ncaa and the pac 10. i just wanted to state my view that it's unfair that blount is the only one facing a penatly
"You are men now, you see those guys over there? Those are boys. We are men on this team."
d-line63
UP Fan

Re: lagarette blount

Postby upfootball » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:57 am

I completely disagree with you on this. I cannot stand Oregon, but I have the utter most respect for the coach that without hesitation made this decision. He suspended the kid for the year including bowl games. With this kid being a Senior that means his career in College is over. But the coach went farther then that. He is giving the kid the opportunity to continue practicing with the team and to more importantly keep his scholarship if he chooses to continue to practice. By doing this he is giving this kid the opportunity to prove he isn't the thug he acted like on the field. That was a flat out sucker punch. When the Boise player turned his head he decked him immediately. The crime absolutely fits the punishment. Especially given this kids past behavioral problems. Emotions get high, but I have never seen somebody sucker punch a guy like that on the field. This kid should feel thankful the coach is letting him keep his scholarship and redeem himself off the field.

This is a life lesson for this kid. He needs it. You can't act out like that and expect to make it through life. You have to have some self discipline. I wish the kid the best because this coach is giving him a chance to really learn a valuable lesson here.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Amasaman » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:28 am

upfootball wrote:Especially given this kids past behavioral problems.

ESPN's talking heads, and an unnamed NFL scout, said this kid had all kinds of classroom problems, was late for team meetings, showed up out of shape and overweight, was cocky and mouthy with coaches, and then this incident happens. He was also pushing and shoving his own teammates after this game as well. I'm sure there's all kind of other issues that weren't even mentioned. He went from a late 2nd round pick to not even being looked at. GOOD!!!

I could see if this was just one incident, but he seems to create his own trouble. How many more Pacman Jones', Laurence Billup's, Ryan Leaf's, are they going to let through the system just because they can run, throw or tackle? And his coach will let him practice all season? My guess is that he gets frustrated halfway through and drops out.

Maybe the Raiders will sign him tomorrow, and save him from a years worth of work with nothing to show for it!
Remembering all veterans, especially those 99 on eternal patrol aboard the USS Scorpion SSN-589.
Amasaman
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:26 am

OMG signed by the Raiders! ha ha!

The whole thing was sad to see. First the taunting, then Blount's retailation, then his conduct after that. On the flip side, let's say ESPN showed the jab and that Boise State player saying something (appears it was a taunt), and say Blount was the bigger man and walked away. Would anyone from Boise State offer an apology over the poor display of sportsmanship?

But two wrongs don't make a right. I'm glad Oregon did the right thing in disciplining this guy. To be sarcastic, Blount would have been better off had he done this wearing a Miami uniform.
Hueby
All UP

Postby upfootball » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:02 am

Good point Hueby. Nothing would have even been said. And it probably happens all the time. If I were a coach and found one of my players acting like the Boise kid was after the game he would probably still be running around the State of Idaho right now. Can't stand that. Act like you have won before.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Amasaman » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Amasaman wrote:
upfootball wrote:Especially given this kids past behavioral problems.
How many more Pacman Jones', Laurence Billup's, Ryan Leaf's, are they going to let through the system just because they can run, throw or tackle?

Add Shawn Merriman to this list! Choking and assaulting his girlfriend. 'Roid rage or just drunk on Tequila!!!
Remembering all veterans, especially those 99 on eternal patrol aboard the USS Scorpion SSN-589.
Amasaman
All UP

Postby upfootball » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:50 pm

Every player you have listed has the IQ of a twelve year old (sorry to the twelve year olds out there).
upfootball
Founder

Postby upfootball » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:40 pm

Blount a no show at first practice. Surprised?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4452919
upfootball
Founder

Postby Amasaman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:52 pm

He didn't even make it half the season.....Maybe Al Davis did give him a call!!! :lol:

Nevermind...he did show up Tuesday, but didn't dress for practice. Still talking to Al and didn't want to risk injury!!! :roll:
Amasaman
All UP

Postby Hambone » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:19 am

What does everyone think about this young man getting reinstated?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4524682
Hambone

Postby upfootball » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:32 am

It makes the stand that the coach took to begin with meaningless. This player has been a problem since the day he arrived on campus but the coach just couldn't live with out him? Reminds me of a certain Spartan coach with the thug they have playing for them in the same position.
upfootball
Founder

Postby St.Lou Saint » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:28 pm

upfootball wrote:It makes the stand that the coach took to begin with meaningless. This player has been a problem since the day he arrived on campus but the coach just couldn't live with out him? Reminds me of a certain Spartan coach with the thug they have playing for them in the same position.

Hey Carson Butler was arrested not too long ago for the same thing and got to play.....
Not that I am saying what he did is right or anything along that line, but this happens all the time at schools all over the country. They are idiots get drunk and getstupid and this crap happens. Should any of them be able to play, no..they shouldn't, not in my opinion at least. But almost every school has somone playing on their team that did some beyond dumb and got arrested.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
St.Lou Saint

Postby upfootball » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:09 pm

Carson Butler was arrested for sucker punching a guy standing in his own front yard who never even saw it coming putting the guys athletic career in jeapordy? I will look it up but I doubt that is true.

Mark my words. Winston will never graduate from MSU. Trouble finds trouble. This guy can barely keep himself together on the field much less off of it. Winston is a train wreck waiting to happen.
upfootball
Founder

Postby St.Lou Saint » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:47 pm

upfootball wrote:Carson Butler was arrested for sucker punching a guy standing in his own front yard who never even saw it coming putting the guys athletic career in jeapordy? I will look it up but I doubt that is true.

Mark my words. Winston will never graduate from MSU. Trouble finds trouble. This guy can barely keep himself together on the field much less off of it. Winston is a train wreck waiting to happen.

It was actually in a dorm room I guess, not in Butler's yard.
http://criminalathletes.blogspot.com/20 ... ricks.html
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
St.Lou Saint

Postby upfootball » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:06 pm

Not good of Butler to pick a fight with a guy, but far from what Winston did. Being sentanced to 180 days in jail. Then getting out and going straight to practice. Not the same St.Lou. Think you know it to. Both are wrong dont get me wrong. Some crimes are worse then others and Winston's was a lot worse.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that happened under Lloyd Carr also? Dantonio reminds me so much of the guy Michigan just got rid of. Except for all the wins against top 10 football teams that is.
upfootball
Founder

Postby St.Lou Saint » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:07 pm

upfootball wrote:Not good of Butler to pick a fight with a guy, but far from what Winston did. Being sentanced to 180 days in jail. Then getting out and going straight to practice. Not the same St.Lou. Think you know it to. Both are wrong dont get me wrong. Some crimes are worse then others and Winston's was a lot worse.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that happened under Lloyd Carr also? Dantonio reminds me so much of the guy Michigan just got rid of. Except for all the wins against top 10 football teams that is.

No UP I agree totally. Just a bunch of stupid kids to be honest, no reason for any of it. I was really shocked he was back on the team to be honest with ya. I think the guy Winston got into it with just got beat up a lot worse, they both did the same thing, there was no reason for any of it. No one should get beat up for no reason.
St.Lou Saint

Postby upfootball » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:34 pm

This has thug written all over it IMO. And watching Winston on the field I see a guy who can't shut his mouth all game long. He is always looking for something after the whistle. The guy is destined to make more repeat trips to jail then the endzone. Who does something like this? What kind of coach just basically ignores it? And for the record.... Glenn Winston has never even so much as apologized to this guy.
A.J. Sturges wrote:In my opinion, the immediate reinstatement of Glenn Winston to the football team reflects very poorly on Michigan State Athletics. This decision has established weak precedent for future athletes involved in violent crimes.

Last October, I was assaulted by Glenn Winston. This was not a fight, or a disagreement. I was in bed in my room and came downstairs after hearing the commotion caused by three cars pulling up filled with screaming and violent people. I was standing in my front yard trying to figure out what was going on when Glenn Winston punched me in the head from the side. I never saw him. I did not have any chance to protect myself at all. Neither did his other victims.

That night, I received a fractured skull, five stitches inside my mouth, and a subdural hematoma, or bleeding on the brain. I was not involved in a college fight, as this story is perceived. After having nothing to do with any events that occurred earlier that night, I was attacked in my own house.
upfootball
Founder

Postby MichState45 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:55 pm

upfootball wrote:It makes the stand that the coach took to begin with meaningless. This player has been a problem since the day he arrived on campus but the coach just couldn't live with out him? Reminds me of a certain Spartan coach with the thug they have playing for them in the same position.

After listening to Oregon's coach on PTI last week, it made perfect sense about what he did. He said that the whole goal was to give Blount a second chance, but he wanted Blount to prove himself first. The coach wanted to see how he would react when he suspended him for the season. Instead of walking out and leaving the program, Blount stayed and practiced and wrote appolgies to the school newspaper, under the knowledge that his college football career was over. I think it was a great trick to play to see how a player like Blount would change under extreme circumstances. I say he has proved that he deserves a second chance.

As for Dantonio-Winston, it's obvious what Winston did and it's obvious that it was something very wrong. But what went on behind closed doors between Dantonio/Winston/and the University is something none of us know about. I don't see anything wrong with giving the man a second chance. There has been a history here at MSU between the football team vs. the hockey team, it is nothing new. It went on even before Dantonio was here. It has always gone both ways. Winston went too far and got the punishment he deserved because of it.

On that note, to make claims about Dantonio's credability is laughable when Rich Rodriguez is wearing the headphones in Ann Arbor. The man has been there for only two years now and the NCAA is already hovering over Michigan's program. I will never say that Dantonio is a class act or hasn't done his wrongs before either. Nobody is perfect. But when it comes to poor ethics, Rich Rod takes the cake.
MichState45
All UP

Postby upfootball » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:51 pm

I never said RR was a class act or has never done anything wrong. If you want to talk about anything specific with RR then we can discuss that but this is about this specific situation with Dantonio. Dantonio handled this Winston situation extremely poor. What was his punishment again? I forget.

I went to the State game this weekend against NW and most of the MSU fans I talked to thought Dantonio handled it very poorly and some wish the guy was kicked off the team. On another note sweet justice was served by a higher force because the thug is out for the season with a knee injury. Betting odds in East Lansing are 2-1 that Winston will never see the field again as a Spartan.

I thought a lot of the Oregon coach for suspending Blount for the season. But now I am not sold on the fact that he told Blount straight out that if he could stay out of trouble for a couple weeks he may secretly change his mind.

I dont blame coaches for kids who get in trouble. It happens. I blame coaches who sell their soul to bend the rules for those they dont think they can afford to lose.
upfootball
Founder

Postby MichState45 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:19 pm

upfootball wrote:I never said RR was a class act or has never done anything wrong. If you want to talk about anything specific with RR then we can discuss that but this is about this specific situation with Dantonio. Dantonio handled this Winston situation extremely poor. What was his punishment again? I forget.

I went to the State game this weekend against NW and most of the MSU fans I talked to thought Dantonio handled it very poorly and some wish the guy was kicked off the team. On another note sweet justice was served by a higher force because the thug is out for the season with a knee injury. Betting odds in East Lansing are 2-1 that Winston will never see the field again as a Spartan.

I thought a lot of the Oregon coach for suspending Blount for the season. But now I am not sold on the fact that he told Blount straight out that if he could stay out of trouble for a couple weeks he may secretly change his mind.

I dont blame coaches for kids who get in trouble. It happens. I blame coaches who sell their soul to bend the rules for those they dont think they can afford to lose.

Sorry, I didn't realize you went through this whole convo. already with MrNCAA on Searn's site. I will drop it.

There are a lot of assumptions involved in all of this. You assume what the Oregon coach did behind closed doors. I assume what Dantonio did with Winston behind closed doors. Both assumptions help formulate the basis of our arguments.
MichState45
All UP

Postby Amasaman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:28 pm

Amasaman
All UP

Return to NCAA College Football