Tressel forced to resign

A board dedicated to NCAA Division 1 Football.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Tressel forced to resign

Postby ftballfan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:15 am

Ohio $tate's head coach Jim Tressel resigned Monday. I have reason to believe he was forced out. Here's a Sports Illustrated article on the downfall of Jim Tressel and Ohio $tate football: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/m ... =cf_t11_a1
ftballfan
UP Football Guru

Re: Tressel forced to resign

Postby Hambone » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:18 am

Forced out!!!!! Tressel is a cheater and covered up major violations, he should have been immediately fired. The AD and President of OSU who tried smoothing this BS over all should be canned. If you think what happened to the cheaters at USC was bad wait until the NCAA gets done with this investigation.
Hambone

Postby Hueby » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:26 pm

Wow! That's quite a pattern Tressel has! Going back to Youngstown where this stuff went on and he never knew about it? :shock:

SI article wrote:...But like Hayes, who was fired after hitting a Clemson player during the 1978 Gator Bowl, Tressel exits ignominiously, all of his many accomplishments tarnished...

I see where the writer wants to compare the two- but I don't agree with it. Woody's bad press over the years came from losing his temper. People made fun out of it. I remember an old Saturday Night Live skit (back when the show was funny) where I think it was John Belushi (?) played Woody Hayes in his life after being fired.

Woody was playing chess or checkers with his wife and while being intervied, he spoke of getting control of his anger and how much calmer he was. Then during the interview his wife (played by Jane Curtain?) suddenly wins the game, then Belushi starts swearing, (smacks her too?) and throws the game w/pieces all over the place, tips over the table, etc then they cut the interview. :lol:

But I don't think his accomplishments were tarnished. Where with Tressel people will question had he enforced rules those players wouldn't of played to begin with.

Another difference- Woody at least went out swinging! :P

“ Don't forget: Nov. 26th we're going to kick their ***!” -- Jim Tressel at doorstep fan rally regarding Michigan game
Hueby
All UP

Postby Chavez » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:06 pm

Hambone wrote:Forced out!!!!! Tressel is a cheater and covered up major violations, he should have been immediately fired. The AD and President of OSU who tried smoothing this BS over all should be canned. If you think what happened to the cheaters at USC was bad wait until the NCAA gets done with this investigation.

What do you think they'll do to Miami?
It takes 5 seconds - 5 seconds of decision; 5 seconds to realize your purpose here on the planet; it takes 5 seconds to realize that it's time to move, it's time to get down with it. I give you a testimonial - THE MC5!
Chavez
All UP

Postby Hambone » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:21 pm

All of this stuff happened before Al Golden got there, had he knew about it he probably wouldn't have taken the job. The AD during this time is now on the NCAA's infraction team, that's poetic justice if I ever heard it. People have talked about the Death Penalty for the U, but that will never happen with all that talk of super conferences everyone wants Miami to be part any of those scenarios. Looks like the 8 current players are going to have "pay back" the money they got and have to sit out games. It's a joke, but they will somehow get a bowl ban and other things once this is done.

Did anyone see that Tressel is now suspended for six games to coincide with the punishment he should have got at OSU? The Colts hired him a a game day consultant. This only proves my theory in big time football you can get away with anything because someone in the "good ole boys" club will always give you a job, even if you are a liar and cheater.
Hambone

Postby upfootball » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:38 pm

Totally agree. Tressell tarnished anything he did though. He will be forever remembered as the guy who was willing to cheat to get the players he wanted on the field. Win at all cost.

I'm sure OSU fans are still proud of him.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Doug42 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:33 pm

It's hard to admit this because I grew up in the Ohio Football Factory back in the 80's, but the problem goes alot deeper than Tressel, or the U. There was alot of pressure on highschool students, and coaches back then to be the best. We all did alot of STUPID things back then, and most didn't care about the consequences. All that mattered to us at 16 or 17 was playing for college teams. The problem still exists today but has gotten worse, everything is on a larger scale, bigger money, national ratings, and the biggest carrot of all, the NFL. All you have to do is turn on ESPN or ESPNU and what do you see, highschool games on national tv. Or competions to be the best hghschool QB in the nation, or the be in the top 100 players in the nation. It wasn't that bad when I was a teenager. The entire system need an overhaul..... I'm just glad to be living where I do, because we don't have those kind of problems up here, (at least I hope not). Just an opinion...... And YES Tressel is a cheater!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Doug42
UP Football Guru

Return to NCAA College Football