Michigan Wolverines Football 2016

A board dedicated to NCAA Division 1 Football.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Michigan Wolverines Football 2016

Postby Hueby » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:00 pm

2016 Michigan Football Schedule

Sat. Sep. 3 vs. Hawaii TV Michigan Stadium 12:00 p.m. ET
Sat. Sep. 10 vs. Central Florida - Military Appreciation TV Michigan Stadium 12:00 p.m. ET
Sat. Sep. 17 vs. Colorado TV Michigan Stadium 3:30 p.m. ET
Sat. Sep. 24 vs. Penn State * Michigan Stadium TBA

Sat. Oct. 1 vs. Wisconsin * Michigan Stadium TBA
Sat. Oct. 8 at Rutgers * TV Piscataway, N.J. 7 or 8 p.m ET
Sat. Oct. 22 vs. Illinois - Homecoming * Michigan Stadium 3:30 p.m. ET
Sat. Oct. 29 at Michigan State * East Lansing, Mich. TBA

Sat. Nov. 5 vs. Maryland * Michigan Stadium TBA
Sat. Nov. 12 at Iowa * TV Iowa City, Iowa 7:00 p.m. CT
Sat. Nov. 19 vs. Indiana * Michigan Stadium TBA
Sat. Nov. 26 at Ohio State * Columbus, Ohio TBA

Sat. Dec. 3 Big Ten Championship Game TV Indianapolis, Ind. TBA

*=conference event

Source MGoBlue.com
Hueby
All UP

Re: Michigan Wolverines Football 2016

Postby Hueby » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:35 pm

Early Projected Starters

OFFENSE

WR 82 Amara Darboh (Sr) {9 Grant Perry (So)}
WR 86 Jehu Chesson (Sr) {14 Drake Harris (So)}

LT 77 Grant Newsome (So) {76 Juwan Bushell-Beatty (So)}
LG 71 Ben Braden (Sr) {55 David Dawson (Jr)}
C 52 Mason Cole (Jr) {57 Patrick Kugler (Jr)}
RG 67 Kyle Kalis (Sr) {75 John Runyan (Fr)}
RT 78 Erik Magnuson (Sr) {70 Nolan Ulizio (Fr)}

TE 88 Jake Butt (Sr) {8 Tyrone Wheatley Jr (Fr)}
QB 8 John O'Korn (Jr) {3 Wilton Speight (So)}
RB 4 De'Veon Smith (Sr) {20 Drake Johnson (Sr)}
FB 19 Henry Poggi (Jr) {80 Khalid Hill (Jr)}
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:12 pm

DEFENSE

DE 43 Chris Wormley (Sr) { __Rashan Gary (Dr)}
DT 90 Bryan Mone (So) {99 Matt Godin (Sr)}
NT 96 Ryan Glasgow (Sr) {73 Maurice Hurst (Sr)}
DE 33 Taco Charlton (Sr) {15 Chase Winovich (So)}

SLB 5 Jabrill Peppers (So) {59 Noah Furnish (So)}
MLB 42 Ben Gedeon (Sr) {46 Mike Wroblewski (Sr)}
WLB 9 Mike McCray (Jr) {10 Devin Bush Jr (Fr)}

CB 26 Jourdan Lewis (Sr) {34 Jeremy Clark (Sr)}
CB 8 Channing Stribling (Sr) {6 Keith Washington (Fr)}
S 25 Dymonte Thomas (Sr) {23 Tyree Kinnel (So)}
S 44 Delano Hill (Sr) 28 Brandon Watson (So)}
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:19 pm

K 91 Kenny Allen (Sr)
P 91 Kenny Allen (Sr)
KR 26 Jourdan Lewis (Sr)
PR 5 Jabrill Peppers (So)
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:10 pm

The projected roster is from Althlon Sports 2016 College Football Preview. Was on vacation and needed a dose of StarBucks coffee at Barnes and Nobles.

The QB situation...
Another QB is junior Shane Morris.

Last year I remember reading about John O'Korn. A few years back he had an outstanding freshman year for Houston. But had a terrible sophomore year, got benched, coach got fired, so he transferred to Michigan. Had to sit our a year...I want to say he was the scout team QB?

Michigan has an incoming QB recruit named Brandon Peters from Avon, Indiana.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:34 pm

Here is a good link to Michigan's coaching staff:

http://mwolverine.com/Michigan_Football_Coaching.html

Then from here you can link to more information on each coach. The new DC is Don Brown. Did a super job at Boston College. Loves to blitz & changes up his defensive fronts with each team.

Chris Partridge steps into bigger responsibilities. He used to coach at Paramus Catholic High School in New Jersey. Was a good recruiter for Michigan.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:41 pm

Here is an mlive link to Coach Jim Harbaugh talking about the QB competition:

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.s ... iver_index

(Basically no clear cut leader)
Hueby
All UP

Postby Chavez » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:44 pm

Hueby wrote:Here is an mlive link to Coach Jim Harbaugh talking about the QB competition:

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.s ... iver_index

(Basically no clear cut leader)

They could have played Hawaii with no QB and still won.
It takes 5 seconds - 5 seconds of decision; 5 seconds to realize your purpose here on the planet; it takes 5 seconds to realize that it's time to move, it's time to get down with it. I give you a testimonial - THE MC5!
Chavez
All UP

Postby upfootball » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:10 am

Could have played Hawaii with any QB on the roster and still won. Now consider this.... Hawaii > Furman.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Hueby » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:25 pm

Welcome back Chavez!

Read Michigan played 17 freshmen. These are the wins I don't bother going back & watching any highlights.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Chavez » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:02 pm

Hueby wrote:Welcome back Chavez!

Good to be back! Nice to see you, buddy!
It takes 5 seconds - 5 seconds of decision; 5 seconds to realize your purpose here on the planet; it takes 5 seconds to realize that it's time to move, it's time to get down with it. I give you a testimonial - THE MC5!
Chavez
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:32 am

Caught the 4th quarter of yesterday's game. Some football people around here were asking about Rashan Gary & can't believe how big he is just out of high school. What in impact Peppers has been too.

Glad to see the B1G schedule start. Don't know if we should start a Wisconsin thread? A lot of ticked off Badger fans around here yesterday.
Hueby
All UP

Postby upfootball » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:03 pm

A win is a win Wisconsin. Big 10 had a really good day yesterday except for Iowa. I bet they wish they won ugly.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Hueby » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:51 am

I wanted to put something together about Penn State for the game today. Events have changed those plans. Just a few things to throw out there:

PSU is coached by James Franklin. Last year they lost their last 4 games and look to improve from 7-5.
A number of players transferred out after last season, as also there were coaching changes from within. Franklin fired the OC, their DC bolted for Tennessee and the O-Line coach went to Auburn.
So then they brought in some coaches & promoted another from within.

Like Michigan the QB has big shoes to fill. Appears it's #9 Trace McSorley. Their big back is #26 Saquon Barkley. #12 Chris Goodwin is a receiving threat but watch for #88 Mike Gesicki, #5 DaeSean Hamilton and #13 Saed Blackwall.

On defense they are replacing 3 of the 4 D-Linemen who were lost to the NFL. Coming into the season they had high expectations of Parker Cothein - a 6'5" 290lb terror and run stuffer Evan Schwab- but haven't been able to follow up on their progress this year. Their leading tacklers are safeties if that is any indication. #2 Marcus Allen and #6 Malik Golden. Also watch DT #60 Brandon Bell. Like Michigan, Penn State is tapping into New Jersey for recruits. Bell is one of 16 NJ products on the PSU roster.

Their kicker Tyler Dans is 5-5 on field goals- longest is 40 yds. When they punt they average 44.3 yds but the punter Blake Gilikin can put them over 50. Hope I got the kickers names right- reading my chicken scrated notes.

Hard to get a read with the NC scheduling however, they were excited to play Pittsburgh but lost 42-39.

Notes from btn.com, offtackleempire.com and the B1G website.

Another good game to watch is MSU hosting Wisconsin 8)
Hueby
All UP

Postby upfootball » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:28 am

We are going to find out what Michigan is all about against Wisconsin. The Badgers have a very good football team
upfootball
Founder

Postby Hueby » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:13 pm

On a break here at work. Ran into a young couple who live down here wearing Michigan shirts. Said they were going to watch the game "around Badgers fans."

Told me they are originally from Kingsford.

Should be a good game!
Hueby
All UP

Postby upfootball » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:00 am

It was a great game. It will be interesting to see how the teams progress the rest of the season. Both good teams with some things to work on that are completely fixable.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Hueby » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:38 am

I just caught the 4th quarter and couldn't leave the room. I heard Michigan threw away 9 points from missed field goals (actually caught the 3rd missed try on the radio driving home- sounds like they had a nice drive going but a QB sack put them back a bit).

Personally I really enjoy these suspenseful, hard fought "only if this happened on this play," tough defensive games!
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:33 am

Minus the hard fought defensive battle vs Wisconsin, the Wolverines continue to roll along. I don't remember a season like this.

I caught parts of the MSU game vs Maryland game when the Spartans standout LB Bullough was ejected in the 1st quarter. I haven't followed State much, I know they lost some good players to graduation but they seem down this year.
Hueby
All UP

Postby upfootball » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:54 am

I have watched State the past few weeks. It's their defense that is the glaring downfall this season. In most of Dantonio's seasons the defense would pull out tight games against teams they probably should have pounded. I think there were many games the defense scored more than the offense. The offense at MSU over the years has been.... meh.... with the exception of a season or two. Cousins senior year with Bell as the back. Last year the offense was good too but I felt it was due to a tremendous offensive line.

I said this to a friend a few years back. I told him when Narduzzi left, the Spartans would begin to struggle in 2-3 years.

Narduzzi was one of the best defensive coordinators I have ever seen at the college level. He could take average talent and make it one of the best defenses in college football. He could develop that talent too. His DB's were in your face and good coverage guys. His defensive line was relentless. The Spartans have regressed there. Plus they have a below average offensive line this season. Even in seasons when the Spartans had secondary guys who were really young and inexperienced Narduzzi got the most out of them. Remember that Baylor bowl game? They were getting torched and MSU was down a few scores in the 4th Qtr. Narduzzi came out of the press box and down to the field to show those guys what he wanted. They were lights out in that quarter and came back to win. That was Narduzzi.

The problem has nothing to do with QB for the Spartans this year. Their offensive line is not good and their defense has fallen off big time. Their secondary is bad and their defensive line is not deep.

On pure emotion they may keep this game close for a while. But Michigan is too deep and much better than the Spartans this season. The Wolverines will wear them down and beat them up. Something that is completely the opposite of when RichRod and Hoke had these teams. Harbaugh has brought back big time toughness to this bunch. They apologize for nothing. They come to play.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Hueby » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:51 pm

Wow awesome post upfootball! So where did this Narduzzi go? Assuming a head coaching position?
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hambone » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:50 pm

Narduzzi is the HC at Pitt and is turning that program around the right way. I agree that Sparty got caught with a couple of subpar recruiting classes and losing Narduzzi as DC is killing them. Malik McDowell is the most overhyped defensive lineman in the country, he couldn't handle the 175 lb guards Ishpeming threw at him in HS.
Hambone

Postby upfootball » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:05 pm

And for the record Hambone and I agreed that McDowell would be mostly invisible this season.... I completely agree with Hambone on this. McDowell is an impressive looking specimen. That's it though. He reminds me of Mandarich. All look, no substance.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Hueby » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:00 pm

So he's at Pitt. That is one thing I wish I was better at is learning who all the up and coming good assistant coaches are & seeing their progress. I had forgotten about DJ Durkin until I caught some of that MSU/Maryland game.

I see Pitt has a big game tomorrow vs Virginia Tech then in a couple weeks Clemson.

Pretty neat to keep tabs on a former Loyola player like McDowell. I remember posts on this site stating they had college prospects but that was it. Will have to watch for him next time can see State on TV (Not sure if can catch the UM/MSU game).
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:34 pm

Ah garbage. Well Iowa played good. Pretty inspired play. What a day in college football.
Hueby
All UP

Next

Return to NCAA College Football