Arctic Blast Vs. Racine Threat

This is the board created for discussing the Semi-Pro league that the UP Arctic Blast participate in.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Arctic Blast Vs. Racine Threat

Postby NCACoach » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:05 pm

The UP Arctic Blast have another home game this weekend at Ronberg field in Norway, MI.

Game time is 6pm on Saturday.

We had a good crowd at the last game but there was still plenty of room for more fans.

It is also kids night and we plan on giving away a couple of bikes and other prizes.
NCACoach
UP Fan

Postby upfootball » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:43 am

I will be at this one also. Any idea on how good Racine is supposed to be? Coming from a different league it is hard to tell.
upfootball
Founder

Postby blast61 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:55 am

They were 8-4 last year and have the MVP at QB from the last couple of years.

From their game tape they have quick backs and an elusive QB.

It should be a good game.
blast61
Yooper Freak

Postby UPARCTICBLASTSTATMAN » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:58 am

It was great to see so many people at the game last week hopefully more will be there this week!!
UPARCTICBLASTSTATMAN
UP Fan

Re: Arctic Blast Vs. Racine Threat

Postby FireDanFlynn » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:04 am

NCACoach wrote:The UP Arctic Blast have another home game this weekend at Ronberg field in Norway, MI.

Game time is 6pm on Saturday.

We had a good crowd at the last game but there was still plenty of room for more fans.

It is also kids night and we plan on giving away a couple of bikes and other prizes.

How much do tickets cost? Are there adult and kid prices? Are smaller kids free?
“Football competition involves a matching of wits between coaching staffs as
well as the "battle" that takes place on the field.” – Jerry Cvengros
FireDanFlynn
All UP

Postby blast61 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:14 am

It is $5 for anyone older then 12

Kids 12 and under are free and it is kids night this weekend. We are giving away Bikes, Football, and T-shirts
blast61
Yooper Freak

Postby BaLLeR_J06 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:47 am

It that 6 p.m. Central or Eastern time? I would assume Central since the game is in Norway.
BaLLeR_J06
UP Football Guru

Not an Arm and a Leg

Postby FireDanFlynn » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:50 am

blast61 wrote:It is $5 for anyone older then 12

Kids 12 and under are free and it is kids night this weekend. We are giving away Bikes, Football, and T-shirts

Very cool ... I may have to load up the wife's van with my kid's and their friend's ... all under 12. Sounds like affordable family fun ... worth the drive.
FireDanFlynn
All UP

Postby blast61 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:51 pm

Sounds good

Yes 6pm Central Time
blast61
Yooper Freak

Postby upfootball » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:44 am

Blast 41
Threat 34

The score ended up closer then it really should have been. The Blast came out and completely dominated this game jumping out to a 21-0 lead. The Threat scored a TD on a long pass to get their first points on the board. The Threat then score in the last seconds of the first half to make it 28-14 on a very questionable call. The defender and the WR went up for the ball and the defender came out of there with it. It was ruled a TD from the refs angle. The first drive of the 3rd saw the threat break a long TD run to make it 28-20. The Blast marched up the field and made it 35-20 on a great run by the QB Simkins. The Threat added another TD to make it 35-26 with about 2 minutes left in the game. The onside kick went to Taff who almost took it to the house. Jonas Olson had a nice TD run to finish it off with at 41-26. I left the game but apparently the Threat scored on a meaningless TD at the end of the game which really doesnt surprise me.

Now for some thoughts on the game. This is the first time I have seen a team in this league that lacks respect for the game. I congratulate the Blast for staying out of most of the extra pushing, shoving, trash talk, and cheap shots that were going on out there. As for the Threat, this team really needs to get a grip. Celebrating mediocre plays with hotdoging is a common theme for them. Apparently trying to pick fights on the field is something that actually looked encouraged by their coach. The Threat had a good QB, RB, and WR. Unfortunately for them they did not have anyone who liked to play defense. Especially within the rules of the game.

The refs seemed to lose control of this game. They should have tossed out a couple of the Threat players, but did not. They were consistent in calling a retaliation penalty but missed the true instigator far too many times. There were lots of cheap shots that were far away from the play. I guess in the refs defense this may have been tough to pick up from their positions. In my opinion the reffing crew should have set an example early that criminal behavior would not be tolerated on the football field and tossed some of the idiot Threat players out there.

Anyway this makes me appreciate all the teams in the Great Plains Football League. I have never seen a team represent themselves with as little class as the Threat did at any football level.

There was a pretty good crowd at Norway field. It's a great place to watch a game. I hope more schools around the UP will let the Blast use their facilities to play a game. It would be nice to see the Blast play a game in Escanaba and perhaps Menominee.

On another side note I did not see two of the Blast's better players in uniform from a year ago. Anyone know if Dave Ashby and Jeremy Heim are still playing for them? Or did they hang it up? The Blast have a great defense, but sure could use a little more depth.
upfootball
Founder

Postby gobluego » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:03 pm

Yeah it did get pretty dirty at the end. Although remember it takes 2 to pick fight. But it was a fun game to watch overall.
RIP Sean Taylor
gobluego
All UP

Postby blast61 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:31 pm

They were by far the fastest team we have ever faced.

I agree that I am very glad we play in the GPFL because that team talked and tried to pick so many fights.

Dave Ashby is working out of town and may be back in a month or so. Heim is on the team but hasn't showed up for the last three weeks. We could really use them both.
blast61
Yooper Freak

It was a beautiful afternoon for football

Postby FireDanFlynn » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:31 pm

I was there with my wife and three kids and one of their friends. My five year old won a bike helmet and my 8 year old daughter got her ticket drawn to take part in the football roll for one of the bikes. We all had a fun time (Except for my wife ... she hates football).

I agree with upfootball that Racine's WR #88 was a real piece of work ... although the crowd seemed to enjoy booing some of his antics. I was impressed with the Norway field, kudos to those in charge for allowing Blast games to be played there.

We also took the kids on the Iron Mine tour and saw a big black bear and two deer on the way home. I'm sure it was a day the kids will always remember.
FireDanFlynn
All UP

Postby upfootball » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:11 pm

Blast Press Release
2006 Game Stats vs. Racine Threat 6 - 10

Scoring by Quarters and Final

Quarter 1 2 3 4 Final
Team
Racine Threat 0 14 6 14 34
U P Arctic Blast 14 14 7 6 41

1st Quarter
7:30 - Drew Buyarski 5 Yard Touchdown Run
(Levi Jarvi Extra Pt Good)
2:51 – Jake Simkins pass to Jeff Taff for 16 Yard Touchdown

2nd Quarter
12:01 – Chad Olson 1 Yard Touchdown Run
2:09 – Drew Buyarski 2 Yard Touchdown Run

3rd Quarter
: 25 – Jake Simkins 9 Yard Touchdown Run

4th Quarter
1:47 – Jonas Olson 9 Yard Touchdown Run
(Levi Jarvi Extra Pt No Good)

Blast record 5 – 0. (3 – 0 in the GPFL)

OFFENSIVE STATS:

Rushing
Drew Buyarski 12 carries for 56 yards and 2 TD
Craig Jensen 8 carries for 45 yards
Jonas Olson 5 carries for 30 yards and a TD
Jake Simkins 3 attempts for 18 yards and a TD
Chad Olson 3 carries for 9 yards and a TD
Jonathan Bell 1 carry for 8 yards
Ed Mierzejewski 1 carry for 6 yards

Rushing Totals: 33 carries for 172 yards

Passing
Jake Simkins 15 completions for 21 attempts 257 yards, TD

Total Team Yards: 429

Receiving
Jeff Taff 6 catches for 125 Yards and a TD
Leo Gorzinski 2 catches for 65 yards
Tyler Hill 2 catches for 25 Yards
Chad Olson 2 catches for 17 Yards
Craig Jensen 1 catch for 14 Yards
Jonathan Bell 1 catch for 8 Yards
Drew Buyarski 1 catch for 3 Yards

DEFENSIVE STATS
Jon Gorzinski 7 tackles and a pass knockdown
Tony McCarthy 6 tackles and 2 SACS
Matt Mainville 6 tackles and a SAC
5 tackles Dave Parret, Craig Jensen, Dave Hereau
Drew Buyarski 4 tackles and a 17 yard interception
Tyler Hill 4 tackles
3 tackles : Chad Olson, Ted Glinski, Jeremy Havelka, Jeff Taff
Jonathan Bell 2 tackles and a 22 yard interception
2 tackles : Brad Dumke, Nick Nerat
1 tackle: Tim Ellison, Nate Smithson, Craig Paquin

Punts: Ty Hartung 1 for 39 yards

Punt Return: Jeff Taff, 1 for 1 yard

Kick Return: Jeff Taff 1 for 22 yards

Jonathan Bell 1 for 16 yards

Nick Nerat 1 for 14 yards

Jonas Olson 1 for 12 yards

Jon Gorzinski 1 for 4 yards

Kick Offs: Levi Jarvi 6 for a 45 yard average

Record: 5 – 0, (3 – 0 GPFL)
Next Opponent:
GPFL: Wisconsin (Green Bay) Blaze, @ Reedsville, WI, 6 PM Sat. June 17th

I sure hope Green Bay has enough players this week. They didn't even bother showing up in a game in Minnesota last week.
upfootball
Founder

Re: It was a beautiful afternoon for football

Postby Rosso60 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:45 pm

FireDanFlynn wrote: We all had a fun time (Except for my wife ... she hates football).

She from Marquette? :lol: just kiddin' don't answer that.
Rosso60
All UP

Postby blast61 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:08 am

Thanks for comming and I am glad your kids enjoyed it. We may be playing another game in Norway. We are waiting on the school to give us the ok. North Central is in the process of getting new bleachers so the field will be torn up for our next home game.

I will keep you guys updated.
blast61
Yooper Freak

Postby Rosso60 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:21 pm

I think that's great all the promotions the Blast are doing up there.

If I were a youth football coach up there, I would organize a trip to a Blast game for the players. It sounds like this past weekend's game would have been a good one for a team (next to a playoff game).

Would hope youth football teams up there would take advantage of this opportunity.
Rosso60
All UP

Return to UP Arctic Blast