2013 predictions

Here is a board for Track and Field.

Moderator: Moderator Group

2013 predictions

Postby motivated » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:25 pm

Whats everyones predictions and kids to look out for in 2013?
motivated
UP Fan

Re: 2013 predictions

Postby Hambone » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:27 pm

Holy crap....we are just into basketball season and getting track posts! :roll:
Hambone

Postby motivated » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:32 pm

gotta know what the competition is! lol
motivated
UP Fan

Postby Hueby » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:20 pm

Just wanted to throw this out there.

I don’t know if many U.P. guys and gals go on to run college track.

If you do, I’m sure it’s within the GLIAC. Don’t ever be afraid to rule out the D3 schools.

The indoor track & field season here in Wisconsin started this past January. Both private and WIAC schools held meets every weekend. Some meets were also down in the Chicago area. MTU also came down and participated in a meet at UW-Oshkosh.

Also there was a meet down in Iowa for those who advanced. Oh yes, sometimes the Big 10 UW Badgers send their younger runners to compete in the D3 meets. Recently some ran in an indoor meet at UW-Whitewater.

If you’re in high school, don’t ever be afraid to visit these colleges here in Wisconsin. They offer many campus visits throughout the year. They enjoy promoting their schools. Don’t be afraid to catch a track meet either. Shop around and talk to the players too.

They have any very good facilities too. The D3 schools also stress academics and offer free tutoring services. But do your best in high school!
This past weekend the WIAC Indoor Conference Meet was held at UW-Stevens Point. UW-LaCrosse won the mens. LAX has an outstanding program. The WIAA holds their state meets out there.

From the WIAC website:

"The Eagles claimed the 38th first-place finish in program history with 171.50 points to surpass UW-Oshkosh’s second-place total of 141 points. UW-Eau Claire placed third with 109 points, UW-Whitewater fourth with 106, UW-Platteville fifth with 68.50, UW-Stevens Point sixth with 48, UW-Stout seventh with 23, UW-River Falls eighth with 18 and UW-Superior ninth with 16."

UW-LaCrosse also won the women’s. UW-Oshkosh had the lead after Day 1 but LAX overtook them Day 2. From the WIAC website:

"The Eagles earned the 21st first-place trophy in program archives with 178.50 points to exceed the second-place total of 153 points by two-time defending champion UW-Oshkosh. UW-Whitewater finished third with 93.50 points, UW-Eau Claire fourth with 90.50, UW-Stout fifth with 51, UW-River Falls sixth with 46, UW-Stevens Point seventh with 42.50, UW-Platteville eighth with 30 and UW-Superior ninth with 17."

Haven’t checked up on the private colleges yet. With that, the WIAC schools are off next week due to exams. Then in early March some meets down in Illinois. Off a few weeks until the next semester then the outdoor meets begin.

Oh yes, Some of the UW schools offer indoor meets for the high schools early in season. Hopefully LSSU, NMU and MTU do this too.
Hueby
All UP

Postby motivated » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:54 pm

I think there are a lot of kids that want to run in college. it's hard for a lot of us because of the long offseason. there is no indoor season up here so while others train year round, we have to take time off no matter what.
motivated
UP Fan

Postby Hueby » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:34 am

motivated wrote:I think there are a lot of kids that want to run in college. it's hard for a lot of us because of the long offseason. there is no indoor season up here so while others train year round, we have to take time off no matter what.

I'm not the best qualified to answer this 8) Maybe someone out there can help?

Yes the U.P does have short spring seasons, unfortunately. I know baseball suffers because of this. I'll try to ask around and get info from some of the guys running track. Some possible ideas:

* Many were 2-3 sport athletes. Football/track guys were sprinters and events like long jump, high jump, and throwing events.

* Meanwhile many of the college track guys (and gals) who compete in the longer running events were cross-country (and soccer) runners in the fall, track in the spring. For girl's they were XCountry & volleyball players.

* Wisconsin has the advantage of "big gyms" due to for years having boys and girls basketball. (Boy's baseball/Girl's softball teams use them too) Many schools down here have year round "open gym" where they train indoors.

* Ashwaubenon High School had open gym pole vault practices and I'd see boys and girls from the Green Bay area & small town Northern Wisconsin schools come down here. And get this, I remember few years back a guy and gal from Kingsford driving down! Had the MI license plates and booster stickers on car.

* Some kids use these Prevea/Bellin programs. Don Beebe's House of Speed, etc. But not everyone can afford these programs. They can be pricey.

* One coach who ran at UW-Stevens Point (played a year of football there too) just stressed weightlifting during the off season. He was quite the track guy there & He believed in resting during the off season & lifting. Then in the spring you keep improving & peak at the right time.
This coach also used to cross train with the other track athletes during college. He was just nuts at it!

He just stepped down from coaching but all I heard for years from my wife at the track meets was "Ohhhhh he is soooooooooooo hot! Swing the video camera over by him please Ohhhhhhhh what eye candy!" :P

Hopefully someone can help. Didn't mean to highjack the thread- we'll get back to "predictions" :P

Gladstone usually has a good program, don't they?
Hueby
All UP

Postby motivated » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Gladstone is always tough. team wise however, for D1 I'm going with Marquette as the power house. d2 manistique, they have been D1 the past couple of years and should be strong returning their core guys. D3 st. ignace, always a tough squad and moving down a division should help. individually I'm not sure what to expect this year, there were a lot of fast underclass man and juniors last year that should be competing every meet this year.
motivated
UP Fan

Postby Hueby » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:24 am

motivated-

I'll ask around to see what can be done training wise. I wanted to throw out there for the guys and gals who who run college track, what they did & the sports combinations. Also if they specialized.

This past week did see kids from different high schools out running in groups.

Specialization in sports has affected track & field down here. And I think for the worst. Green Bay Preble has really turned their football program around and use track and kind of an "off season" training program for them. I'll share more...

I remember couple years ago MSHS sent their track team down to a meet in Marquette, WI. They used the Electricians bus I heard.

Isn't Negaunee usually pretty good in D2?
Hueby
All UP

Postby motivated » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:22 pm

I run xc and track. during the winter I workout as best as I can to stay in shape. neguanee is D1 but they usually aren't very strong. last year they got last at UP Finals
motivated
UP Fan

Postby Hueby » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:25 am

motivated wrote:I run xc and track. during the winter I workout as best as I can to stay in shape. neguanee is D1 but they usually aren't very strong. last year they got last at UP Finals

That's a good combination. Many student-athletes around here who went on to run college (and D1 schools too) had that combination. West DePere had a football/hockey/track guy go to Wisconsin. He competes in the hurdles.

In the U.P., I forgot the division breakdown in track and field. When Negaunee's football program was at their peak they did have many in track & field. I see a similar trend down here with some schools. Didn't realize Negaunee came in last.

Doesn't Kingsford & Menominee put out good sprinters?

Who are the good programs for the girls?

You guys would be surprised down here- New London girl's basketball (and Seymour) have their girls run track. Don't hear of many basketball players running track! (Any up there?)
Hueby
All UP

Postby motivated » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:58 pm

I know last year Menominee got 4th at UP Finals, decent sprinters not much else, not sure on kingsford they weren't that good from what I can remember last year.

girls wise Marquette will be strong, not sure about the other divisions or the schools from the west.

there are a lot of athletes from football and basketball that do track up here, however not many take track seriously and just do it for social reasons
motivated
UP Fan

Postby 1stFP#15 » Fri May 09, 2014 1:33 pm

1stFP#15
All UP

Return to UP Track