2017-18 High School Hockey Season

For you Upper Peninsula Hockey fans

Moderator: Moderator Group

2017-18 High School Hockey Season

Postby ESGP N » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:16 pm

Looks like Team CC just wrapped up a very successful fall season by winning the split season Tournament.
Article found here:

http://www.mininggazette.com/sports/loc ... rong-note/

Football season should be wrapping up soon too which means teams will be gearing up for what looks to be a very competitive hockey season.

around the keweenaw I know Hancock graduated a few good players and defensemen, but when ever you have Randell and Nordstrom, you know they are going to be right back at it.

If I remember correctly, Houghton was fairly young last year, but im not to sure what they look like.

Calumet graduated quite a few Nice players so it will depend on how the younger ones step up.

Any other thoughts from around the UP? Kingsford or Negaunee looking to put something together?
ESGP N
UP Fan

Re: 2017-18 High School Hockey Season

Postby Hueby » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:26 pm

When the season starts don't know how much hockey I can catch this year. But will try to contribute to the thread. Have no idea what Marquette will bring to the table.

Saw in the article there was a Marquette skater with that CC team...but also three Kingsford players. Suspect Kingsford might be pretty good this year?

At the college level I like this new young coach NMU got from Minnesota. I see Northern has some U.P. players but the one from Marquette doesn't get much ice time and two from Calumet haven't played at all. Hopefully they'll get some opportunities.

Red Wings won today to move to .500!
Hueby
All UP

Postby Zarek » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:46 am

Here is a nice write up on houghton, calumet, and Hancock for the upcomming hockey season:

http://prosportsextra.com/upper-michiga ... r-country/

Did notice that Hancock and cal were able to add a small upgrade to the schedule with Orchard Lake St. Mary.
Zarek
Yooper Freak

Postby Hueby » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:26 pm

That was a good write-up on those teams.

Dropped in on the Michigan High School Hockey Hub website. They already have 2017-18 "Top 10 Pre-Season Polls."

In Division 2 Marquette is ranked 8th.

In Division 3 Hancock is ranked 3rd, Calumet 4th and Houghton 7th.

Saw Tech and NMU split their weekend series last week. NMU won last night up in Alaska-Fairbanks 5-3.

Caught some good highlights on NHL Network in Red Wings 3-1 win over Buffalo last night. They seem to have a little more spark with Athanasiou back. Sunday they host Colorado...who are in Nashville tonight.

Trying to see if Calumet' s Ben Storm is still in the Colorado system?

Also a Chicago Blackhawks fan at work was telling me this "hockey league down south" adapted this new playoff system. 8 teams make the playoffs.

But what happens is instead of the #1 seed playing the #8 seed, #2 playing #7, #3 playing #6, etc....is the #1 seed gets to pick any of the seeds #5-#8 as to who they want to play!

Then the #2 seed picks one of the remaining 3 teams in the lower seed, like that! This way a top seed can avoid a team who is "peaking" or whatever reason.

Each round is like this, favoring the top seeds.
Problem is this Chicago fan didn't know what league this was doing this.

Gotta love thinking outside the box though!
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:12 am

Here is a preview of Sault Ste Marie. They are very young this season losing many seniors from last year's squad and 1 player to juniors (Soo Eagles):

http://www.sooeveningnews.com/sports/20 ... s-showcase

The Blue Devils are only scheduled to play 3 U.P. teams in the regular season. In late December (Fri the 29th) they'll travel to Marquette to play the Redmen, then the next day on Sat Dec 30 they play Kingsford (In Marquette).

Then later on they will play at Escanaba Tue Jan 9, 2018.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:22 am

Kingsford is looking pretty good this year:

http://www.ironmountaindailynews.com/sp ... uts-today/

Good article also mentioning getting skaters from WIC and Forest Park. These types of programs are really fun...lots of football talk at these hockey games!
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:18 pm

Marquette 3
Houghton 2
Final

Just caught the last 8 minutes of the game. Very, very suspenseful! Marquette held off an early storm in the 1st then scored 3 even strength goals...but the rest of the game was mostly spent in the Redmen end.

Houghton put roughly 45 shots on net (unofficially). The Marquette radio announcers and Coach Garrow gave the 1st, 2nd and 3rd stars of the game to Marquette goalie Dylan Sibilsky. He came through big. Appears there will be goalie competition in Marquette too.

With Houghton you'll hear a lot of the McKay line. What little of the game I caught sounds like McKay won most of the face offs.

Guess we'll leave it at that. Marquette will get ready for Escanaba next.
Hueby
All UP

Postby laurngrove » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:03 am

Hancock and Houghton already played Orchard Lake St Mary's last year. Hancock beat Calumet in the first game of the Copper Island Classic 8-5.
laurngrove
Yooper Freak

Postby laurngrove » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:12 am

Brother Rice is coming to the Keweenaw for the first time. They will play Houghton and Hancock. Really good opponents coming up here. Hartland, Brother Rice, Brighton, OLSM, Novi, U of D Jesuit, Rochester, Utica Eisenhower, Traverse City Central and Bayport, WI to play either Hancock, Houghton or Calumet.
laurngrove
Yooper Freak

Postby laurngrove » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:13 am

And Cranbrook with their annual series against Calumet.
laurngrove
Yooper Freak

Postby laurngrove » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:40 pm

Hancock beats Calumet again 4-3 to sweep the annual Copper Island Classic. Tonight was also a league game.
laurngrove
Yooper Freak

Postby Hueby » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:30 pm

Used to wonder which game counted towards the league standings- thanks!

Good to see other posters participating.

These trips provide excellent team bonding experiences for those who venture up there. Plus they will play outstanding competition and win or lose- take away valuable experience.

Don't know too much about Bay Port yet. They have a good junior goalie who carried them deep into the playoffs late last season. That was when he took over the starting job.

He was attending the Ashwaubenon school district and was a hockey/football athlete. Was always asked to play in various off season hockey tournaments growing up. Size wise very tall. Believe he quit football since transferring to Bay Port. The Pirates football program has to turn back kids now days.

Couple years ago I was going to recommend he transfer up to Negaunee or Marquette. He could still play football and hopes to play for NMU someday. He loves it up there but can't do Team Wisconsin or travel/billet that kind of stuff. He's got the heart and desire otherwise.

Bay Port should have another junior returning named Boxer. He's the grandson of Herb Boxer. He'll probably play a bigger role on the varsity this year.

Am a few days behind linking this from TV6, but they highlight some St Norbert Women's hockey players from up there:

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/con ... 56893.html
Hueby
All UP

Postby laurngrove » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:51 pm

Yes I know Boxer's dad Jay very well. He's from Hancock.
laurngrove
Yooper Freak

Postby Hueby » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:32 pm

laurngrove wrote:Yes I know Boxer's dad Jay very well. He's from Hancock.

Early in the Ashwaubenon “WIAA Sanctioned” High School Hockey program, he coached the program for a 2 year period. The AD at the time only gave out “2 year contracts” then would renew from there. In the Jaguars 3rd season, under him that was the best season they have had.

He is very dedicated, passionate and committed to hockey. Personally I always thought very highly of him. The Jaguars hockey program (like many other sports here) continues to slide down the wrong path since.
Hueby
All UP

Postby laurngrove » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:43 pm

Yeah Jay is a great guy and has a very knowledgeable hockey mind.

Tonight Hancock beat Houghton 4-2. Houghton was up in the 1st 2-0, Hancock scored late in the period to make it 2-1. It was 2-2 after 2 and Hancock scored twice in the 3rd the last was an ENG. Houghton came out strong and Hancock looked tired. 2nd period was pretty even, and the third belonged to Hancock out shooting them 13-4. There were a ton of penalties so not much flow to the game at all. Hancock goes to 3-0 while Houghton drops to 0-2.
laurngrove
Yooper Freak

Postby Hueby » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:08 pm

Wow maybe Hancock recovering from those back to back games vs Calumet?

I missed listening to Marquette play at Escanaba tonight. Don't know what I was thinking- thought Escanaba was central time like us. Duh! When I tuned in they were signing off.

Learned Marquette won tonight 4-0. Scored 2 in the first and 2 in the second. Played good defense.

Am sure Escanaba will be better next time they play. They are just getting started due to Escanaba's football success. Not sure how many Gladstone skaters they have.

Speaking of....defenseman Jake Boxer opened the scoring for Bay Port in a 10-0 route of Green Bay United. Bay Port outshot GBU 72-7.
Hueby
All UP

Postby ESGP N » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:08 am

Before I forget again, I just wanted to post this info so it's out there. It is information on the copper island classic and the previous games.

IMG_0033.jpg
IMG_0033.jpg (199.86 KiB) Viewed 2139 times

IMG_0035.jpg
IMG_0035.jpg (175.83 KiB) Viewed 2139 times

IMG_0034.jpg
IMG_0034.jpg (171.56 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
ESGP N
UP Fan

Postby Hueby » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:21 pm

Nice info on the Copper Island Classic! For years I didn't know the meaning or history of this!

Tonight in Sault Ste Marie the Marquette Redmen lost to Utica-Eisenhower 7-5. After being down in the 2nd period 5-2 Marquette would eventually close the score to 6-5, but an Eagles empty net goal would seal the deal.

Tomorrow at Sault Ste Marie, Marquette will play Romeo. Romeo and the Soo play this evening.

The GNC Basketball teams should start doing this. Bring in teams from Wisconsin and Lower Michigan if possible. Have fun with it!
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:35 pm

In Sault Ste Marie, Marquette defeated the Romeo Bulldogs 4-0. Goalie Tyler Bergdahl had the shutout in net. Came in for relief yesterday & started today.

The Marquette radio announcers summed the weekend up best. The Redmen played 5 good periods of hockey and a disastrous one.

Redmen travel up to Calumet this Tuesday.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Zarek » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:16 pm

Calumet and Hancock both took close 2-1 losses.

In the Calumet game, Cranbrook tied it 1-1 early in the third and outshot Calumet 9-1 in overtime to win on a short breakaway with around 40 seconds left.

Cranbrooks got Good size and speed on the team (like always).

Articles:

http://www.mininggazette.com/sports/loc ... a-2-1-win/

http://www.mininggazette.com/sports/loc ... -2-1-loss/
Zarek
Yooper Freak

Postby laurngrove » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:52 pm

Hancock beat Traverse City Central 6-0. Hartland beat Houghton 6-2 and Cranbrook beat Calumet 6-5.
laurngrove
Yooper Freak

Postby laurngrove » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:20 am

Just some interesting stats-
Hartland, which just came up to the Keweenaw to play Hancock and Houghton, has an enrollment of 2050. Hancock has an enrollment of 231. Houghton is 404.
laurngrove
Yooper Freak

Postby Zarek » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:19 pm

I believe Hancock actually has the smallest enrollment classification of any other school in the state of Michigan for hockey.
Zarek
Yooper Freak

Postby Hueby » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:54 pm

Yeah especially in hockey co-ops can be crazy. Hockey isn't really popular in many areas throughout Wisconsin. Am sure it's the same throughout Lower Michigan.

I remember when Ashwaubenon started their WIAA sanctioned high school program about 10 years ago. Like Escanaba it's a "self supported/funded" program where the families have to generate money & pay to have the program. They hosted a tournament and L'Anse came down and ended playing Appleton United.

L'Anse wasnt happy because Appleton United's co-op numbers made them over 4,000.

This year down here the WIAA is finally splitting hockey into two divisions (by enrollment). I don't know if Notre Dame Academy and University School of Milwaukee will "play up."
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:42 pm

Woops! Maybe Hartland isn’t co-op. Forget there are schools with over 2000 there for a minute lol.

I think some of the Minnesota power house high school teams are up there in the thousands. They don’t mention this though.
Hueby
All UP

Next

Return to UP Hockey