UP Rankings 2009-2010

Here is your wrestling board as requested.

Moderator: Moderator Group

UP Rankings 2009-2010

Postby shrek1 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:01 pm

Is anyone else getting excited for the upcoming wrestling season?????

My guess at ranking kids in the UP for the upcoming season:

103 JJ Sadler, Mun / Harran Ellis, Soo
112 Ryan Gauthier, IM / Brenda Broznowski, WIC
119 Nick Therekauf, Men / Luke Wolley, MQT
125 Chase Gendron, IM / Cameron Jones, IM
130 Luke Benbow, IM / Joe Horton, King
135 Dylan Carr, IM / John Wormwood, Men
140 John Evashevski, St. Ig / Chuck Edwards, IM
145 Josh Syverson, Glad / Tristan Kang, Esc
152 Derek Willey, Ish / Chad Mesnard, Rud
160 Alex Bockman, Esc / Mike Ouradnik, King
171 Derek Slone, Ish / Brock Lewis, Rud
189 Andy Carpenter, King / Tim Tippett, IM
215 Ben Carr, King / Rogers / Kuepper, Esc
285 Jake Hadel, Glad / Matt Robinson, New
"Coach, there is a thin line between tough and crazy.....and you're flirting with it."
shrek1
UP Fan

Re: UP Rankings 2009-2010

Postby Loobydago » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:15 am

I agree with your Robinson Pick. I know Matt and He IS Ready.

Also it's good to see Newberry has what may be double the Wrestlers this year. It's good to see the guys working in another sport. Good luck Mike. :lol:
Loobydago
UP Fan

Postby Looby_8 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:29 pm

Focusing on the 145 pound weight class, I know Chad from Rudyard and he is a good athlete. I have wrestled him many times throughout my highschool carrer and he deserves to be in that spot. He will be a tough competitor. Also Newberry has filled every weight class so far befor the season. First time since 2001 when Newberry won districs. Lets hope it will stay that way. Two good wrestlers comeing out of Newberry are Matt (The Ogre) Robinson (11th Grade) at 285 and Derrick Granger (10th grade) at 171. They both had great seasons last year and are looking forward to another one this year.
Looby_8
UP Fan

Postby lm74 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:33 pm

I agree with most of your picks Shrek, but I believe Joe Horton from Kingsford at 130 is now in college.
lm74
New to Board

Postby FadedBlknGold » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:57 am

Really glad to hear that Newberry's program is picking up again. They were struggling alot with numbers when I was around and the coaches there are to credit for making the youth program fun again for the kids.

Although I don't necessarily see Iggy having much in the top 2 in the weight class (with the exception of Evasheski, I think he'll win the whole kit'n'caboodle) expect them to have quality wrestlers in the lower weight classes. The Upper weight classes are those the ones we have finding bodies for. Its much comparable to our football team, relying on speed and athleticism to get the job done, rather than size.

Super excited to see what goes on this season, and curious to see how Iron Mountain reloads after graduating TOUGH kids.

Can't wait to come home for christmas and roll around with these guys!
We are surrounded. At least that simplifies the problem. -Colonel Lewis B. Puller
FadedBlknGold
New to Board

Postby shrek1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:18 pm

I don't see Iron Mountain losing a dual in the UP this season. They still have Gauthier, Gendron, Carr, Edwards, Tippet, and several others that aren't ranked in the state. No one will touch them, in my opinion.
"Coach, there is a thin line between tough and crazy.....and you're flirting with it."
shrek1
UP Fan

Postby FadedBlknGold » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:57 pm

are we still talking about daulton gauthier? jeez is that kid a senior yet or what?
We are surrounded. At least that simplifies the problem. -Colonel Lewis B. Puller
FadedBlknGold
New to Board

Postby shrek1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:39 pm

Nope, Ryan Gauthier. Placed at the individual state tournament last season as a freshman at 103 pounds.
shrek1
UP Fan

Postby KMA » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:01 pm

Esky and Marquette both wrestled in Seymour last weekend (12/5). Marquette is showing some bright spots, Esky as well. Overall it was the expected outcome for Seymour which was the first tournament for both.

Kingsford and Esky yesterday in Wabeno. Out of 15 or 16 teams Esky placed 2nd as a team. Esky had voids at two weight classes yesterday but managed to have 11 going into finals with 8 placing. Not sure where Kingsford ended up think it was 13th. Norway unfortunately doesn't have a team but does have one wrestler who traveled with Kingsford and managed a respectable 17 team points on his own.
KMA
UP Fan

Postby Hueby » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:51 am

KMA wrote:Esky and Marquette both wrestled in Seymour last weekend (12/5). Marquette is showing some bright spots, Esky as well. Overall it was the expected outcome for Seymour which was the first tournament for both.

I ran across an article on the internet last week involving U.P. wrestling. It mentioned MSHS didn't have a senior on the wrestling team. With a handful playing basketball and hockey, and a couple who played football this past spring, am wondering where the hek is the MSHS class of 2010?

Anyway it's always good to see U.P. teams cross into Wisconsin. Wrestling is one of Wisconsin's stronger sports. (I think 8) ...) Hopefully teams from Wisconsin travel up to the U.P.- that it isn't just a one way thing.

KMA wrote:Kingsford and Esky yesterday in Wabeno. Out of 15 or 16 teams Esky placed 2nd as a team. Esky had voids at two weight classes yesterday but managed to have 11 going into finals with 8 placing. Not sure where Kingsford ended up think it was 13th. Norway unfortunately doesn't have a team but does have one wrestler who traveled with Kingsford and managed a respectable 17 team points on his own.

While looking for a write up on the Kingsford/Negaunee hockey game, came across this link on the meet:

http://www.ironmountaindailynews.com/pa ... l?nav=5006

Coleman, WI is very big into wrestling. I see they sent their "reserves" to this meet. I work with a guy who grew up wrestling from Coleman. He'll tell me about all his meets against U.P. guys. Remember hearing about someone from Iron Mountain who was really good. Said Marquette had a real good one he went up against. Sounds like wrestling in Coleman is like football in Menominee- everyone involved has dad's uncles, brother-in-laws, etc who wrestled also.

Keep up the hard work everyone!!
Hueby
All UP

Postby KMA » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:09 pm

Marquette's team is filled with mostly underclassmen, however like I mentioned, there definately were some bright spots and they've managed to fill their numbers more than I have seen in the past couple of years. This was the first tournament (Seymour) but if they stick with it and their numbers are there then they may just surprise a few in the next couple of years.
Wisconsin is a very big wrestling state and Coleman is a powerhouse. There always seems to be a Nowack wrestling and they generally are good. They always seem to be pretty deep at most of their weight classes as well, similar to Davison, at any rate they have what appears to be a good strong program although I've heard this year that they may not be as strong as in recent past. Not sure how many Seniors they graduated last year. Esky will get to test themselves against Coleman on December 22nd so we'll see then. :mrgreen:
As for Wisconsin crossing over, they sure do. Kaukauna will be at the Challenge in Marquette this year and Esky travels to DePere in January.
KMA
UP Fan

Return to UP Wrestling