Mid Pen falling apart?

Conference talk for the Mid Peninsula teams. Gladstone, Gwinn, Iron Mountain, Ishpeming, Manistique, Negaunee, and Westwood.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Mid Pen falling apart?

Postby quarterbackgr » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:26 am

What does this mean for the Mid Pen? Iron Mtn and five other MPC schools applying for the West Pac?

http://www.mininggazette.com/sports/loc ... -west-pac/

"
Pontbriand said five other schools are also applying for a move to the West PAC from the MPC. “It’s five core schools in the Mid Pen that could potentially be in the West-PAC and we fall somewhere in the middle,” Pontbriand said. “How many that are in will determine that conference.”
Living the dream!
User avatar
quarterbackgr
UP Football Guru
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 2:38 pm
Location: Hancock, MI

Re: Mid Pen falling apart?

Postby NeonDeion21 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:53 am

Iron Mountain and Gwinn have applied for sure. If it is 5 then I'm sure the other 3 are Westwood, Ishpeming and Negaunee. I don't know exactly what is going on here.. Norway and Munising dodged the MPC and now the MPC is chasing them back. Geographical alignment of 2 divisions in the new West-Pac would essentially give us the MPC of 5 years ago minus Manistique.
NeonDeion21
Yooper Freak
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:26 pm

Re: Mid Pen falling apart?

Postby scoopnscore » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:10 am

Norway and Munising are D8 schools that left a D6-7 conference to go play in a D8 conference. Can hardly fault them for that. Gladstone is a D5 team that left a D4-5 conference to go play in a D6-7 conference. The realignment may kill the MPC, but that large Westpac conference would be nice for all the schools that are in it. They would have very little if any scheduling problems. Those who are out is another story. I'd hate to be an AD at one of the large schools in the UP!
I haven't failed, I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work - Thomas Edison
User avatar
scoopnscore
UP Football Guru
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:44 pm
Location: Norway, MI

Re: Mid Pen falling apart?

Postby upfootball » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:09 am

scoopnscore wrote:Norway and Munising are D8 schools that left a D6-7 conference to go play in a D8 conference. Can hardly fault them for that. Gladstone is a D5 team that left a D4-5 conference to go play in a D6-7 conference. The realignment may kill the MPC, but that large Westpac conference would be nice for all the schools that are in it. They would have very little if any scheduling problems. Those who are out is another story. I'd hate to be an AD at one of the large schools in the UP!

100% correct. What would be interesting....is if the WestPAC leaves Negaunee out and accepts the rest. Negaunee is a large D6. They are right on the cusp of playing with the GNC schools. Kind of like Ishpeming being right on the cusp of playing in the Mid Pen. So if Negaunee is left out of the WestPAC and their schedules are mostly full.... that would leave Negaunee very little choice. They would have to pick up more GNC schools or travel.

Gladstone looks like they are being forced out of the Mid Pen all together already. They will have no choice but to go back to the GNC... where they belong anyway.

This is a very interesting Chess game right now being played by the AD's and it is ALL because of the sport of football and how the MHSAA deems you playoff eligible.

In the end, my gut feeling is this is a play to get the MPC to kick Gladstone out of the conference.
User avatar
upfootball
Founder
 
Posts: 9776
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: Mid Pen falling apart?

Postby pondrocket14 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:19 am

I’ve been trying to figure out what is driving this talk of major changes to the conferences. If it is for all sports, teams like Jeffers, Chassel, Dollar Bay and LLH could struggle getting 20 games without serious travel. If it is for football playoff reasons, that is weak. Seems simpler to boot Gladstone back to the GNC and leave all else the same. Hate to see the MPC dismantled, even though I would love to see those teams up in Westpac country on a regular basis.
pondrocket14
Yooper Freak
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Mid Pen falling apart?

Postby Yooper at Heart » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:34 pm

upfootball wrote:
scoopnscore wrote:Norway and Munising are D8 schools that left a D6-7 conference to go play in a D8 conference. Can hardly fault them for that. Gladstone is a D5 team that left a D4-5 conference to go play in a D6-7 conference. The realignment may kill the MPC, but that large Westpac conference would be nice for all the schools that are in it. They would have very little if any scheduling problems. Those who are out is another story. I'd hate to be an AD at one of the large schools in the UP!

100% correct. What would be interesting....is if the WestPAC leaves Negaunee out and accepts the rest. Negaunee is a large D6. They are right on the cusp of playing with the GNC schools. Kind of like Ishpeming being right on the cusp of playing in the Mid Pen. So if Negaunee is left out of the WestPAC and their schedules are mostly full.... that would leave Negaunee very little choice. They would have to pick up more GNC schools or travel.

Gladstone looks like they are being forced out of the Mid Pen all together already. They will have no choice but to go back to the GNC... where they belong anyway.

This is a very interesting Chess game right now being played by the AD's and it is ALL because of the sport of football and how the MHSAA deems you playoff eligible.

In the end, my gut feeling is this is a play to get the MPC to kick Gladstone out of the conference.


Help me understand something...if they wanted to get Gladstone out two months into them playing in the MPC, then why in the world did they let them in in the first place? Did the MPC think Gladstone was going to remain a doormat and they'd get Class B playoff points?
Yooper at Heart
UP Fan
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:52 pm

Re: Mid Pen falling apart?

Postby upfootball » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:42 pm

Great question. Not all these AD's were there when the deal was made. I truly don't know. We can only speculate.
User avatar
upfootball
Founder
 
Posts: 9776
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: Mid Pen falling apart?

Postby Yooper at Heart » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:46 pm

upfootball wrote:Great question. Not all these AD's were there when the deal was made. I truly don't know. We can only speculate.


ADs may be different but I have a hard time believing that principals and superintendents aren't involved in these decisions. ADs can't usually make these decisions unilaterally in my experience.
Yooper at Heart
UP Fan
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:52 pm

Re: Mid Pen falling apart?

Postby 6miner6 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:03 pm

Football is unfortunately a dying sport in the UP..Gwinn,Ishpeming,Manistique and Iron Mountain could barely field teams at the end of the year...the MidPen has NEVER been weaker than this year and I don’t think it’s even close..I’ve been going to high school football games for 40+ years and I don’t think I’ve seen a worse year for football up here..8 man is going to be the norm up here soon and as far as schools going to the WestPac I think at least for football it gives stability to the lesser teams as far as filling your schedule with teams of comparable numbers and talent...Negaunee also wants stability in their schedule and doesn’t want to have to find teams downstate and in Northern Wisconsin year after year just to play 11 man football...I mentioned before how much the loss of freshman football has hurt programs and I really think it’s evident now..of course these are just my opinions and would love to hear what others think since I really respect everyone that contributes to this outstanding site
6miner6
UP Football Guru
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2002 12:39 am


Return to Mid Peninsula

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 4 guests