RIP MPC

Extinct board for the Mid Peninsula teams

Moderator: Moderator Group

RIP MPC

Postby upfootball » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:51 pm

I am going to post an article from the decision that started a snowball effect that in the end destroyed the MPC in less than 17 months. It is fascinating. Read the some of the thought process behind it and how absolutely wrong these people were. Iron Mountain has a new AD. You have the AD for one of the worst sports schools in the UP running the MPC? How did that work for you? Manistique is left holding the bag I guess. Former Gladstone AD Houle tried for years to get this deal done and finally convinced the MPC to go along with it. Gwinn was the only school smart enough to vote no.

Now stay tuned for as the UP turns with everyone in 11 man football joining the WestPAC except the GNC schools. Those AD's have their work cut out for them. Especially in football to make all the parties happy.

Also... welcome back to the GNC Gladstone. I hope the new AD continues to do things that will help restore what was once a really good football program in Gladstone. Before Houle got a hold of it.

I will put in italics the parts that are an absolute lie.

http://www.ironmountaindailynews.com/sp ... n-2017-18/

Gladstone joining MPC in 2017-18

GLADSTONE – The Gladstone Braves have seen a shift in recent years in competitive balance in the Great Northern Conference because of declining enrollment. The Mid-Peninsula Conference faced an adjustment with the departure of Norway on the horizon.

Then, a fitting match was made – Gladstone is joining the MPC in 2017.

Gladstone athletic director Matt Houle and MPC director Rob Ryan announced in joint statements Wednesday that Gladstone will join the conference in all sports at the start of the 2017-18 year, coinciding with Norway’s MPC exit and entry to the Skyline Central Conference.

“It’s a big deal for our school, and something we’ve been working on for a number of years,” Houle said. “It gives us a chance to be competitive and avoid all these difficulties in scheduling. I think it’s a great thing for the kids, coaches and the community.”

Decades ago, Gladstone was part of the Great Lakes Conference along with many of the teams currently in the MPC. Over the years, Gladstone maintained a relationship with those schools and scheduled games against many of them in all sports.

“We play each of those schools on our schedule with the exception of Iron Mountain,” Houle said, adding that the Braves and Mountaineers meet in girls basketball but not in boys. “In most cases, we play them twice, even in track and field and wrestling, and other sports. We compete with them.”

Iron Mountain High School athletic director Chris Hartman said the addition of Gladstone gives the MPC stability at a time when enrollment has shaken long-held conference alignments across the UP. Keeping as many teams as possible in the conference serves as an insurance of sorts for its longevity.

“I think potentially Gladstone could be a great fit for the Mid-Peninsula Conference,” Hartman said. “With losing Norway, the stability of conference schedules could’ve been an issue. Looking long term down the road, with our conference shrinking, and not adding, we could potentially lose more and more schools. Down the road, who knows what could become of the Mid-Peninsula Conference.”

Hartman said football schedules are usually the biggest concern for schools and that the addition of Gladstone benefits all IMHS sports.

“We play them right now in girls basketball. I think it’d be a good fit at least for our boys basketball schedules and actually all of our schedules,” Hartman said. “We all know that football is a major player with schedules and conferences. With all the realignments and teams going to 8-man (football), that’s one of the main concerns obviously is the football schedule. We look at all sports across the board, at least I do. We look at tennis, wrestling, golf … I’m hoping this will be a good fit.”

The Braves were denied in previous attempts to join the MPC, but the timing was finally right. Hartman said Gladstone submitted an application to join the conference two-and-a-half years ago, but conference athletic directors felt the MPC was solid at the time. Norway’s upcoming switch to the SCC gave Gladstone a foothold.

“At that time, we felt as a conference we were pretty solid,” Hartman said. Obviously losing Norway made us examine our conference as a whole. Their application stayed on the table. When Norway left, we took a deeper look at it.”

Ryan said he sensed the conference didn’t want to remain a six-team league after Norway’s departure.

“That took us from what was once an eight-school league to six,” Ryan said. “There was a feeling that the remaining schools didn’t want to see us become a six-team conference. They wanted to make sure the conference stays strong.”

Norway, currently the smallest school in the MPC with 214 students, will become the largest school in the Skyline Central Conference upon its arrival in 2017-18.

Gladstone is the second-smallest school in the GNC, but will become the largest school in the MPC with 478 students. Negaunee is next with 400, and the others are Westwood with 314, Iron Mountain 302, Manistique 300, Gwinn 287, Ishpeming 239, and Norway.

Menominee is the smallest GNC school with 439 students.

“It was a concern and discussed at length by the athletic directors,” Ryan said of Gladstone’s size. “Based on the law of averages and numbers, when you have a bigger student population, over time you’ll have a better pool of athletes. Gladstone has been strong historically in certain sports, like wrestling, track and field, softball and others. Adding them will make it challenging for the rest of us, not that there’s anything wrong with that. You have to elevate your game and build your programs up, knowing that Gladstone is a force to reckon with in certain sports.”

According to MPC bylaws, no more than two schools can have dissenting votes on new membership.

“We only had one vote no,” Ryan said. “It was a 5-1 vote, and Norway abstained because they aren’t affected.”

The other factor that made Gladstone appealing was its location.

“It really made sense geographically,” Ryan said. “If you take a map, you have Iron Mountain, the four Marquette county schools, and us to the south and east. Right in the middle is Gladstone, so you couldn’t ask for a better matchup geographically.

“None of us will have far to travel, so that was really quite an attractive feature that Gladstone offered. It’s a triangle from Westwood to Manistique, and at the bottom of the triangle is Gladstone.”

Houle echoed similar concerns as Ryan in competing in the GNC over the last several years.

Speaking about Marquette, he said “When you have 1,000 kids in your school, you’re going to have 100 try out for track. Their program has been successful, and success breeds success. We would never have 90 kids out for track, even if we didn’t have baseball, softball, or tennis. We have 40 out for track right now, and that’s enough to compete with anybody (in the MPC).”

Houle reiterated that Escanaba will always remain a constant on the schedule in all sports and they also will attempt to maintain relationships with the other GNC schools.

“Escanaba will notice no difference. We realize the importance of the rivalry and the relationship,” Houle said. “There will be some changes concerning the other GNC schools. We will unfortunately not always be able to fit all of the GNC teams into our schedules, but we will do our best, with due diligence to keep those relationships.”

Houle said as far as the competition level goes, moving to the MPC is sort of a lateral move.

“They’re both very very competitive conferences. It’s going to be different faces, but the challenges are still going to be there,” Houle said. “I have all the respect in the world for Menominee, Kingsford, and Marquette, but you look at what the Mid-Pen brings in basketball, and the state titles in football. It’s pretty amazing. It’s going to be very competitive, and that’s what we’re asking for. We would like to be in the hunt for the playoffs, and being on a level playing field, I think we’ll have that opportunity.”
upfootball
Founder

Re: RIP MPC

Postby 6miner6 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:13 pm

I am completely stunned the MPC will no longer exist. Talk about a fall from grace this is pretty close to the definition. The MPC was one of the strongest and most respected smaller school conferences in the state IMO. I really find it almost unbelievable that this conference completely collapsed in a matter of a few years. I’m not even sure how big some of these schools in the WESTPAC are such as Hurley and Northland Pines,but I would imagine the conference will be split in two. What happens to the non conference games that Negaunee plays? I would eliminate Gladstone and Marquette since the Miners will have plenty of teams to fill out their schedule. I believe they have a two year contract with Boyne City so that will most likely have to be fulfilled. Should be interesting to say the least.
6miner6
UP Football Guru

Postby Hambone » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:32 pm

The conference will be split two, maybe three ways. Rivalries will be lost, contracts will be voided depending on how soon this will take to sort out. Northland Pines would be a D-5/6 size school, Hurley is D-8 if you are looking for Michigan comparisons.
Hambone

Postby Hueby » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:53 pm

Was going to post this in the West PAC board, but wonder if there would be a "Mid-Pen" Division within the conference? Am anxious to see how it works out for football and all sports. Suppose there will be some creative suggestions on this site!
Hueby
All UP

Postby longball » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:10 am

How did Mano's AD become the director of the MPC....Mano is at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to athletics and a very large part of that falls on a AD that just doesn't care. Now he will most likely be forced to play smaller teams on the eastern end and still get beat up :lol:
longball
UP Football Guru

Postby Negnation4life » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:01 pm

Sad, sad day for the MPC...what a travesty. Someone can't step in and save the MPC?!
Negnation4life
UP Fan

Postby Negnation4life » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:02 pm

6miner6 wrote:I am completely stunned the MPC will no longer exist. Talk about a fall from grace this is pretty close to the definition. The MPC was one of the strongest and most respected smaller school conferences in the state IMO. I really find it almost unbelievable that this conference completely collapsed in a matter of a few years. I’m not even sure how big some of these schools in the WESTPAC are such as Hurley and Northland Pines,but I would imagine the conference will be split in two. What happens to the non conference games that Negaunee plays? I would eliminate Gladstone and Marquette since the Miners will have plenty of teams to fill out their schedule. I believe they have a two year contract with Boyne City so that will most likely have to be fulfilled. Should be interesting to say the least.

You would eliminate one of the longest rivalries in the State?
Negnation4life
UP Fan

Postby NeonDeion21 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:19 pm

This is a damn shame. And almost makes no sense. We now have 7 teams of the former MPC all in the West Pac. Why couldn't they leave the MPC alone in the first place? Instead they're all joining a different conference to play eachother. The GNC will suffer tremendously in football and even more in all other sports!
NeonDeion21
Yooper Freak

Postby NeonDeion21 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:21 pm

Negnation4life wrote:Sad, sad day for the MPC...what a travesty. Someone can't step in and save the MPC?!

Let's get it trending... #savetheMPC :lol:
NeonDeion21
Yooper Freak

Postby haulpack » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:44 pm

I feel the same way now as I did when the once very popular Great Lakes Conference broke up so many years ago but this will make scheduling easier they say.its going to be interesting to say the least. :cry:
"A fool and his money are soon parted,so just how long have you been broke"
haulpack
All UP

Postby scoopnscore » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:19 am

I think the new expanded Westpac makes great sense for any schools luck enough to be in it. This will make things extremely difficult for anyone that is outside it as all of those schools will have maybe 1 at most 2 open dates outside of their conference schedules. All the GNC schools are going to be searching far and wide for 9 games (most already are before this change!)
I haven't failed, I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work - Thomas Edison
scoopnscore
All UP

Postby DLintheTrenches » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:51 am

Wow! A lot has changed since I last suited up for HS ball. The MPC used to be the class of the UP conferences, right up there with the GNC. Sad to see what looks like the end of a great conference!
DLintheTrenches
UP Fan

Return to Mid Peninsula