UP Schools with ATC's (Certified Athletic Trainers)

Got a question or have some advice about injuries, training, and other sports medicine? Here is the board for you!

Moderators: Moderator Group, SportsMed Group

UP Schools with ATC's (Certified Athletic Trainers)

Postby SportsMedicineCenter » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:42 pm

Please list your school if you have an ATC that covers your games and/or practice. There is an effort to get EVERY school coverage!!
Help us out, Please. Thanks
SportsMedicineCenter
UP Fan

Re: UP Schools with ATC's (Certified Athletic Trainers)

Postby SportsMedicineCenter » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:46 pm

Calumet, Ishpeming, Lake Linden-Hubbel, Marquette, Negaunee, North Dickinson, Norway, Rapid River??, Westwood....Who else? Please add to the list
SportsMedicineCenter
UP Fan

Postby Moose » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:34 pm

IM has someone that comes to the games. He is a physical therapist but i dont know if there is a difference in certified athletic trainer.
Walrack - Boddy wouldn't change the defense to a 4-3 where they could utilize my natural playmaking abilities as a roaming free safety, woulda won states if he woulda listened.
Moose
All UP

Postby SportsMedicineCenter » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:45 pm

Thanks for the info Moose! Check out the posting "Who is taking care of YOUR injuries?"
There are some major differences in an ATC and a Physical Therapist! Check it out.
As of now Iron Mountain will fall under the WITHOUT category. Thanks again for the information.
SportsMedicineCenter
UP Fan

Postby Gwinnball7 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:25 pm

What is Bill Engvall?(sp?)
GO BLUE!!!
Gwinnball7
UP Football Guru

Postby SportsMedicineCenter » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:57 pm

Gwinnball7 wrote:What is Bill Engvall?(sp?)

What school/area does he cover?
SportsMedicineCenter
UP Fan

Postby Gwinnball7 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:05 pm

He covers Gwinn
GO BLUE!!!
Gwinnball7
UP Football Guru

Postby upfootball » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:14 pm

I read an article not so long ago that North Carolina was thinking about making it mandatory that every school caries an ATC. There was some sort of accident where a kid played with a concusion and actually died because he was hit while playing with it. He was diagnosed incorrectly earlier in the week by a first responder that was helping out the team.

The problem with the whole thing is they estimated it would cost each school over 50K a year to do so. Seems really high but I don't know the financial end of that.

My question is. Of the Certified ATC's that cover UP teams.... are they volunteer or do they get paid?

SportsMedicineCenter wrote:Thanks for the info Moose! Check out the posting "Who is taking care of YOUR injuries?"
There are some major differences in an ATC and a Physical Therapist! Check it out.
As of now Iron Mountain will fall under the WITHOUT category. Thanks again for the information.

I admit I just skimmed the posting in "Who is taking care of YOUR injuries?" but where does it show the differences between a Certified ATC and a Physical Therapist?
upfootball
Founder

Postby SportsMedicineCenter » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:29 pm

upfootball wrote:I read an article not so long ago that North Carolina was thinking about making it mandatory that every school caries an ATC. There was some sort of accident where a kid played with a concusion and actually died because he was hit while playing with it. He was diagnosed incorrectly earlier in the week by a first responder that was helping out the team.

The problem with the whole thing is they estimated it would cost each school over 50K a year to do so. Seems really high but I don't know the financial end of that.

My question is. Of the Certified ATC's that cover UP teams.... are they volunteer or do they get paid?

SportsMedicineCenter wrote:Thanks for the info Moose! Check out the posting "Who is taking care of YOUR injuries?"

I admit I just skimmed the posting in "Who is taking care of YOUR injuries?" but where does it show the differences between a Certified ATC and a Physical Therapist?

Great point UPFOOTBALL!! There was just a piece on ESPN Outside the Lines on this very issue done this past week. ATC's are mandetory at every high school in many states---just not Michigan.....yet.
As for the financial piece, it is very very cheap to have an ATC cover games in the UP. I know that some schools contract out to local hospitals for the ATC coverage for very little money if at all.
We will get something posted on the difference between an ATC and a PT shortly. Thank you for your comments and interest!!
SportsMedicineCenter
UP Fan

Return to Sports Medicine