bad conference

Extinct Board

Moderator: Moderator Group

bad conference

Postby longball » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:40 am

Is the Ski Valley the worst conference based on talent? All I've heard from over there is Iggy won't have a game all year.
longball
UP Football Guru

Re: bad conference

Postby tjays » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:16 am

I don't think it matters what conference the Saint are in they are always going to be one of the top teams. They will have their hands full when they play Inland Lakes. If Inland lake can keep the yellow flags from flying I would give them a good chance of winning that game. JO-burg and Mancelona are both very tough teams and I would think all four will be in the playoffs at the end of the season.
tjays
UP Fan

Postby upsports » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:54 pm

Bad is being very nice. You will not even be able to compare this team to any past Saints team. Playing this type of schedule and league will not even test a team. From here on out, any stats should be considered as New Era because you can't compare what a kid does stat wise to any other Saints team. This conference is a very bad decision. They should have went independent and at least they could get some games that would test them and be fun to watch. A good loss is better then this.
The future is what is in store for you today, yesterday is a memory.
upsports
UP Football Guru

Postby 3Nit » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:10 pm

Bad is a compliment to this conference. This Saints team looks good on paper, but put them up against the Glen Lakes, Cheboygans, SSM's, Mano's, and it could be a different story. Joining this conference was a bad decision from the start. And I totally agree with "upsports" that the Saints should have went independent. A blowout win may boost confidence, but that confidence could drop like rocks off a cliff, when a team in the playoffs, punches them in the mouth. Let the reign of conference titles and playoff streaks continue, but the fans will get used to these blowout wins, the wrong way.
3Nit
UP Football Guru

Postby Hambone » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:10 pm

Schools get scared to go independent out of fear that they can't fill out a schedule. Weak conferences definitely don't prepare you for the postseason, you need a couple of tests.
Hambone

Postby FBfollower » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:56 am

The Ski Valley is a very bad conference. They may have a team or two that have up years, but overall it is a poor conference. Joburg has a good program that will compete and Indian River is a bigger school the Iggy now, but lacks the history. Iggy's record is going to be good every year even on down years. The 13 team was made out to be some kind of great team just like this years team, but they are very average, could not compete with any team over the last 8 years. Some players are being hailed as superstars and the best thing that happened in Iggy. Hell, even the 07 team and 09 team (5-4) would beat this these two teams. The 08 team would put 50 on them every game. During the 07-12, the schedule had teams that could compete and between 07-09, the Soo, Cheboygan, Mano, and Rudyard had some of their best teams. So yes, this schedule is very deceiving in terms of what you see on paper.
Independent would be nice, but filling a schedule would be impossible. The kids can't help it that this is what happened, but it is what it is.
FBfollower
UP Football Guru

Postby longball » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:37 pm

Can Indian River give Iggy a game this week?
longball
UP Football Guru

Postby upsports » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:56 am

longball wrote:Can Indian River give Iggy a game this week?

It is possible. Not sure just what the Saints are capable of or what IR has. IR must be physical and attack the line of scrimmage on offense. If they can pass the ball often and affectively, they could make it a game. History says no.
The future is what is in store for you today, yesterday is a memory.
upsports
UP Football Guru

Postby ecangits » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:24 am

As a whole this years St. Ignace team is pretty darn good. How good? We will not know because of the schedule. They will get better, but not as good as they could without being truly tested like past teams. As a whole, I believe the level of play is down for a lot of teams that used to be dominant. The Saints team has a lot of good talent, but I agree with FBfollower on this one. The 08 team being the best offensively and if you matched position for position with this years team, everything goes in the 08 favor. 10, 11 and 12 had a lot of talent across the board, but lacked in the most important position to put them over the top, QB. The QB had good numbers due to the lack of competion, but when it came to games that actually tested them or meant something, they couldn't meet the grade and their inabilities were exposed. But the teams were still pretty damn good.
ecangits
UP Football Guru

Postby ftballfan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:21 pm

Iggy is hoping and praying someone moves to 8-man soon in the Ski Valley
ftballfan
UP Football Guru

Postby ecangits » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:12 pm

ftballfan wrote:Iggy is hoping and praying someone moves to 8-man soon in the Ski Valley

Maybe the fans are because this is not St. Ignace football. The Saints need to be challenged. I would prefer watching an entertaining game and loss then this stuff. On the other hand, I am sure the coach loves all the wins. Not being arrogant. One team may be competitive on a given year, but this is what the future is.
ecangits
UP Football Guru

Postby longball » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:13 am

I guess the conference is that bad. Some of the teams have nice records, is Iggy that good or are the other teams just beating up on the bad ones? Can Mancelona give them a game this weekend? Who from the UP will give them a contest come playoff time?
longball
UP Football Guru

Postby ecangits » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:31 pm

longball wrote:I guess the conference is that bad. Some of the teams have nice records, is Iggy that good or are the other teams just beating up on the bad ones? Can Mancelona give them a game this weekend? Who from the UP will give them a contest come playoff time?

The other teams are that bad. Both offensively and defensively. Joburg has the running game, but 0 passing. The Saints will be exposed with a well coached team with a good balance of pass and run. The Saints are good with the running and passing game, but how good I do not know because they have not been tested at all. No to Mancelona giving them a game.
ecangits
UP Football Guru

Return to Ski-Valley