GNC Scheduling 2020

Conference talk for the Great Northern teams. Gladstone, Escanaba, Kingsford, Marquette, and Menominee

Moderator: Moderator Group

Re: GNC Scheduling 2020

Postby Hueby » Sun May 17, 2020 10:12 am

amped0808 wrote:Per the North Eastern Conference Website

Freedom @ Menominee
Menominee @ Denmark
Little Chute @ Menominee

Denmark seems to have been turning it around in recent years. Both Freedom and Little Chute have outstanding programs- The fans should be in a treat for these games. Should be very hard fought games when they play Menominee!
Hueby
All UP

Postby Up Football Fan » Sun May 17, 2020 9:10 pm

GNCrocks wrote:
GLADSTONE 2020
1. Petoskey (unknown home team, assume Petoskey is home as they go TO Esky in week 2 I dont see them going to Delta Co 2 weeks in a row)
2. @ Kingsford
3. @ Menominee
4. ESCANABA
5. MARQUETTE
6. @ Soo
7. SOO KORAH, ONT
8. @Gaylord
9. OSCOTO

No sure who you mean by "Oscoto"......unless you have mispelled "Oscoda"..............BTW....Oscoda is not playing Gladstone this year as the Owls have scheduled Houghton Lake for week 9. The Braves still have week 9 open.
Support your local school district.
Up Football Fan

Postby GNCrocks » Tue May 19, 2020 10:19 am

Yes OSCODA is who I meant. Gladstone was under the impression this was a 2 year contract when I spoke to the Braves last year. Is this another Downstate team pulling a CHIP-HILLS? or is there a legit reason?

As for week 9 for the Braves. St. Ignace is also open...haven't they played in week 1 the last few years? This should be a no brainier for both schools....
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby GNCrocks » Tue May 19, 2020 10:26 am

Updated: 5/19/2020

ESCANABA 2020
1. ANTIGO, WI
2. PETOSKEY
3. @ Marquette
4. @ Gladstone
5. KINGSFORD
6. MENOMINEE
7. @ Kewaunee, WI
8. @ Alpena
9. @ TC West

GLADSTONE 2020
1. Petoskey (unknown home team, assume Petoskey is home as they go TO Esky in week 2 I dont see them going to Delta Co 2 weeks in a row)
2. @ Kingsford
3. @ Menominee
4. ESCANABA
5. MARQUETTE
6. @ Soo
7. SOO KORAH, ONT
8. @Gaylord
9. - open -

MENOMINEE 2020
1. MEDFORD, WI
2. @ Marinette, WI
3. GLADSTONE
4. Freedom, WI (unknown home team)
5. Denmark, WI (unknown home team)
6. @ Escanaba
7. MARQUETTE
8. Little Chute, WI (unknown home team)
9. at Kingsford

KINGSFORD 2020
1. CHEBOYGAN
2. GLADSTONE
3. @ Shawano, WI
4. MARQUETTE
5. @ Escanaba
6. @ Luxemburg, WI
7. WRIGHTSTOWN, WI
8. @ Petoskey
9. MENOMINEE

MARQUETTE 2020
1. @ Alpena
2. @ TC Central
3. ESCANABA
4. at Kingsford
5. @ Gladstone
6. - open -
7. @ Menominee
8. TC WEST
9. Petoskey (unknown home team)

Notes:
Last edited by GNCrocks on Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby Up Football Fan » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:25 pm

update:

Ludington Arbiter site says it is playing at Gladstone week 7 Oct. 9th 7pm.

Ludington had an open date.....unconfirmed reports had Gladstone originally scheduled to host S.S. Marie (OH) Korah Collegiate.
Up Football Fan

Postby amped0808 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:27 pm

Up Football Fan wrote:update:

Ludington Arbiter site says it is playing at Gladstone week 7 Oct. 9th 7pm.

Ludington had an open date.....unconfirmed reports had Gladstone originally scheduled to host S.S. Marie (OH) Korah Collegiate.

Yeah with the US-Canadian Border being closed (Doubt it will be opened up anytime soon) it would make sense for Gladstone to reschedule another opponent.
2013 Wissports HOF Inductee
Wissports Message Board Moderator
Once a Warrior always a Warrior
Twitter:https://twitter.com/Captain_Joe08
amped0808
All UP

Postby Up Football Fan » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:20 pm

With Grandville Calvin Christian cancelling it's season, this gives Marquette a chance to fill it's week 6 open date:

Sparta is Class B (Div. 4) school now with an open date. Redmen AD needs to get on the phone right away to arrange a game.

Likewise, since Gladstone and St. Ignace have not come to an agreement to play week 9, then the Braves should contact Belding for a week 9 game.
Up Football Fan

Postby longball » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:13 am

And then hope the governor changes downstate from a phase 4 to a phase 5, even though the numbers are going up??? wishful thinking I believe. As it sits right now, there is no football being played downstate aside from the western part of the Norther Lower.
longball
UP Football Guru

Postby upfootball » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:37 pm

Seeing more than a rumor on Twitter that the GNC is going to conference schedule only this year.....

Also heard this is probably the final year of the GNC for football.
upfootball
Founder

Postby Chavez » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:50 pm

upfootball wrote:Also heard this is probably the final year of the GNC for football.

Well, that's a sad occurrence. One of the better conference names around, with a lot of history behind it.
It takes 5 seconds - 5 seconds of decision; 5 seconds to realize your purpose here on the planet; it takes 5 seconds to realize that it's time to move, it's time to get down with it. I give you a testimonial - THE MC5!
Chavez
All UP

Postby GNCrocks » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:00 pm

With the new 6 week season starting in week 4 I have heard a few rumors from people in the know.
1. You just take your schedule as was and start with week 4...this has a lot of issues with logistics of playing WI teams that have re-arranged schedules and other things.
2. The other one I heard, and more likely as an option is that both HOUGHTON & SOO have agreed to join the GNC to make scheduling easier for both of them & the GNC and make up a nice 6 game schedule. I believe the GNC AD's and SOO & HOUGHTON are working this out.

As for playoffs....
Wow this rumor mill is all over the place
1. They would do the first 2 rounds based on DIV 1-4 (basketball parings) then the remaining schools left would be divided by 8 to make up the 8 divisions. While not the best option, it kinda also makes sense.
Basically play your Basketball districts. Then post districts we will expand the remaining teams unto 8 divisions based on whose left.

2. A per-determined 8 div. draw like basketball. But I dont know how you decide who is home...

My main point....whatever they decide will have its CONS. But I 100% would rather be talking about the CONS than the kids having no season. LETS GO!
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby ftballfan » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:06 pm

GNCrocks wrote:With the new 6 week season starting in week 4 I have heard a few rumors from people in the know.
1. You just take your schedule as was and start with week 4...this has a lot of issues with logistics of playing WI teams that have re-arranged schedules and other things.
2. The other one I heard, and more likely as an option is that both HOUGHTON & SOO have agreed to join the GNC to make scheduling easier for both of them & the GNC and make up a nice 6 game schedule. I believe the GNC AD's and SOO & HOUGHTON are working this out.

As for playoffs....
Wow this rumor mill is all over the place
1. They would do the first 2 rounds based on DIV 1-4 (basketball parings) then the remaining schools left would be divided by 8 to make up the 8 divisions. While not the best option, it kinda also makes sense.
Basically play your Basketball districts. Then post districts we will expand the remaining teams unto 8 divisions based on whose left.

2. A per-determined 8 div. draw like basketball. But I dont know how you decide who is home...

My main point....whatever they decide will have its CONS. But I 100% would rather be talking about the CONS than the kids having no season. LETS GO!

With an odd number of teams, one team would be off every week. Soo only (with Houghton remaining in the WestPac) joining would make sense (as it would allow their LP-based league to have six schools)
ftballfan
UP Football Guru

Postby GNCrocks » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:44 am

Scrambling a bit as GNC teams have Wisconsin & BNC games weeks 4-9 that are no longer in play.
Last edited by GNCrocks on Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
GNCrocks
All UP

Postby Up Football Fan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:39 pm

GNC Revised Schedules (as of 09-09)..............at least all GNC games can now be played.

Escanaba:

09-18
09-25 Kingsford
10-02 Menominee
10-09 at Ludington
10-16 at Marquette
10-23 at Gladstone

Gladstone:

09-18 Marquette
09-25 Negaunee
10-02 at Sault Ste. Marie
10-09 at Kingsford
10-16 Menominee
10-23 Escanaba

Kingsford:

09-18 at Calumet
09-25 at Escanaba
10-02 Marquette
10-09 Gladstone
10-16
10-23 vs Menominee

Marquette:

09-18 Gladstone
09-25 Sault Ste. Marie
10-02 at Kingsford
10-09 at Menominee
10-16 Escanaba
10-23 at Calumet

Menominee:

09-18
09-25 at Marinette (WI)
10-02 at Escanaba
10-09 Marquette
10-16 at Gladstone
10-23 vs Kingsford
Up Football Fan

Postby Up Football Fan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:59 pm

For Kingsford

Wisconsin teams with an opening for Oct. 16 (as of 09-10)

Altoona
Franklin
Johnson Creek
Kaukauna
Mishicot
Sparta
St. Croix Central
Viroqua
Winneconne

For Escanaba and Menominee..............since Wisconsin doesn't begin play until Sept. 25th, there are no teams the U.P. schools can contact.

But if E/M decided to move their Oct. 2nd game to Sept. 18, the following Wisconsin schools still have an open date for Oct. 2nd:

Horicon/Hustisford
Oak Creek
Waterloo
Westfield
Up Football Fan

Postby staylowanddrive » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:19 am

Thank you for putting this out there. Glad to see negaunee and Gladstone fill spots. Can anyone share how Marquette is playing calumet. I thought calumet played l’anse in week nine??
staylowanddrive
UP Fan

Postby Up Football Fan » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:15 pm

staylowanddrive wrote:Thank you for putting this out there. Glad to see negaunee and Gladstone fill spots. Can anyone share how Marquette is playing calumet. I thought calumet played l’anse in week nine??

Every 11-player team in the U.P. did some bit of rearranging of their schedules..........NO SCHOOL was left untouched.

Moreover, the GNC teams really wanted to get all teams to play each other in these 6 weeks. That, with Ishpeming dropping varsity for 2020, allowed teams to do the rescheduling.
Up Football Fan

Postby amped0808 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:52 pm

Per the North Eastern Website:

Menominee will play at Marinette on 9/25.
amped0808
All UP

Postby amped0808 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:58 pm

Up Football Fan wrote:For Kingsford

Altoona
Franklin
Johnson Creek
Kaukauna
Mishicot
Sparta
St. Croix Central
Viroqua
Winneconne

For Escanaba and Menominee..............since Wisconsin doesn't begin play until Sept. 25th, there are no teams the U.P. schools can contact.

But if E/M decided to move their Oct. 2nd game to Sept. 18, the following Wisconsin schools still have an open date for Oct. 2nd:

Horicon/Hustisford
Oak Creek
Waterloo
Westfield

To be honest, I don't know what the Southeast (Oak Creek and Franklin) are doing for their schedules. They had a conference tournament planned but scrapped it apparently when the Greater Metro went to a five team with three of their own going to Spring. However it seems the possible GMC/Southeast crossovers are not happening with the majority of their teams picking up non-cons.
amped0808
All UP

Postby Up Football Fan » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:31 pm

amped0808 wrote:

Altoona
Franklin
Johnson Creek
Kaukauna
Mishicot
Sparta
St. Croix Central
Viroqua
Winneconne

Horicon/Hustisford
Oak Creek
Waterloo
Westfield

To be honest, I don't know what the Southeast (Oak Creek and Franklin) are doing for their schedules. They had a conference tournament planned but scrapped it apparently when the Greater Metro went to a five team with three of their own going to Spring. However it seems the possible GMC/Southeast crossovers are not happening with the majority of their teams picking up non-cons.

It's the Kenosha Schools that overroad what Oak Creek and Franklin wanted to do...............Kenosha A.D's told Oak Creek and Franklin that they would NOT play OC or F if those 2 schools decided to play any out of conference schools, out of fearing those two schools would bring the Covid-19 to a game against any of the 3 Kenosha Schools. Sure sounds like bad blood there. Some extra incentive for both Oak Creek and Franklin to pour it on in any of their games against the Kenosha schools. (BTW, the 3 Racine Schools had already decided long ago to NOT play this fall).
Up Football Fan

Postby Up Football Fan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:31 pm

Gladstone is not playing at Marquette on Sept. 18 (for whatever reason)

Menominee is now at Marquette on Sept. 18th.
Up Football Fan

Postby amped0808 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:23 am

Up Football Fan wrote:
amped0808 wrote:

Altoona
Franklin
Johnson Creek
Kaukauna
Mishicot
Sparta
St. Croix Central
Viroqua
Winneconne

Horicon/Hustisford
Oak Creek
Waterloo
Westfield

It's the Kenosha Schools that overroad what Oak Creek and Franklin wanted to do...............Kenosha A.D's told Oak Creek and Franklin that they would NOT play OC or F if those 2 schools decided to play any out of conference schools, out of fearing those two schools would bring the Covid-19 to a game against any of the 3 Kenosha Schools. Sure sounds like bad blood there. Some extra incentive for both Oak Creek and Franklin to pour it on in any of their games against the Kenosha schools. (BTW, the 3 Racine Schools had already decided long ago to NOT play this fall).

It's really a ****** situation down here. Franklin should have no problem rolling them. Knew about the three Racine schools a long time ago. The two private school in Racine (St. Catherine's and Lutheran) are forced to play all road games this year because of new city guidelines.
amped0808
All UP

Postby Kinsers » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:21 pm

Up Football Fan wrote:Gladstone is not playing at Marquette on Sept. 18 (for whatever reason)

Menominee is now at Marquette on Sept. 18th.

Gladstone had a positive test on the roster.
Kinsers
UP Football Guru

Postby upfootball » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:43 am

Kenosha's lack of self awareness speaks volumes.
upfootball
Founder

Postby amped0808 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:40 pm

It's sad that Oak Creek and Franklin are basically tied to Racine and Kenosha Schools. I would love to see how both programs would compete in the Greater Metro.
amped0808
All UP

Previous

Return to Great Northern Conference