Spring Football

General board to discuss Upper Peninsula football.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Spring Football

Postby Hambone » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:06 pm

I guess that didn't take long for them to change their mind!

https://www.mhsaa.com/News/Press-Releas ... or-2020-21
Hambone

Re: Spring Football

Postby LukeFSM » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:26 pm

Calumet had to snowblow a tunnel on their track two years ago in late April just to get some outdoor work in but yeah I'm sure football is going to work great in the Spring in the U.P.
LukeFSM
UP Fan

Postby quarterbackgr » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:33 pm

So is there any chance they will let the UP have their own season?
Livin' the dream!
quarterbackgr
UP Football Guru

Postby upfootball » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:50 pm

I hope I am wrong and the kids get to play, but IMO this is a huge mistake.

I sure hope this wasn't due to pressure by politicians.
upfootball
Founder

Postby LukeFSM » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:54 pm

Guessing there are only, what, 6 total sites that could host games with a safe playing surface? Marquette, Houghton, Calumet, Hancock and maybe Superior Dome and Tech if they will allow it?
LukeFSM
UP Fan

Postby Hambone » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:11 pm

You could see this unfold this morning when school after school downstate was canceling fall sports. I’m not sure if a U. P. only proposal for fall football will even fly right now. It should be given a chance.
Hambone

Postby yoopernib2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:51 pm

Let's see how the MHSAA figures out how the U.P. plays football in what we all know is spring in the LP, and maybe just the southern part of that. We Yoopers will be waiting...
yoopernib2
UP Football Guru

Postby longball » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:02 pm

Let’s be honest fella’s, there is not going to be spring football or wrestling this winter or hoops, this is all about the MHSAA holding off on a decision to make it look like they tried. Time to call it what it is, 20-21 needs to be cancelled, get a vaccine & come back in the fall of 2021 ready to go.
longball
UP Football Guru

Postby upfootball » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:50 pm

It's not the years in your life that count, its the life in your years.
upfootball
Founder

Postby upfootball » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:45 pm

For all those who have been blaming the MHSAA for this. Save it. Whitmer is the one who cancelled football.

There was a very interesting read on the Gwinn Booster club page about a conference call with the MHSAA.

https://www.facebook.com/gwinnallsportsboosterclub/
upfootball
Founder

Postby yoopernib2 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:52 pm

Here's an article from the Lansing State Journal, and as these posts get more and more political something I remember from history class when we had leadership that took responsibility for their actions. A very simple saying but means so much ''The buck stops here'' https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/sto ... 374257001/
yoopernib2
UP Football Guru

Postby upfootball » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:47 pm

Politics plays into this. You cant just ignore it. The posts have been respectful as most of us are on the same page. We want the kids to get an actual opportunity if they can.
upfootball
Founder

Postby yoopernib2 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:57 pm

upfootball wrote:Politics plays into this. You cant just ignore it. The posts have been respectful as most of us are on the same page. We want the kids to get an actual opportunity if they can.

But it seems like the one that ignored the game plan has not been criticized, and maybe if the game plan was followed we would be playing football instead of just talking football.
yoopernib2
UP Football Guru

Postby upfootball » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:24 pm

I do not know what you are referring to. What game plan didn't they follow?

The players, coaches, people of this state have done everything they can. What would have allowed them to play? These folks literally put everything they could into trying to get on the field and play ball this fall.
upfootball
Founder

Postby yoopernib2 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:39 am

upfootball wrote:I do not know what you are referring to. What game plan didn't they follow?

The players, coaches, people of this state have done everything they can. What would have allowed them to play? These folks literally put everything they could into trying to get on the field and play ball this fall.

Think higher up......pandemic playbook, phrases like '' No. I don't take responsibility at all'' Sure doesn't sound like ''The Buck Stops Here'' to me anyway..
yoopernib2
UP Football Guru

Postby upfootball » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:55 am

Ok you blame the President of the United States for not stopping the virus. Yeah this could get long and political. We can agree on a hard disagree.

Each area was allowed to handle their business the way they felt it should be handled. The left handled it with the science of their choosing. The right handled it with the science of their choosing. One side is playing football.

Like I said. What would have got them on the field in the State of Michigan? What could the people have done? You don't want Trump to do what Whitmer is doing. Instead of the left handbook it would be the right handbook. Every week for the last 5 months you would get executive orders from him on things you probably completely disagree with. This is the land of the people not the land of the government.

If you were dropped off in the year 2020 from the past right now you would think you were in some outrageous Twilight zone episode. Think of what you see everyday right now. Its absolutely nuts.
upfootball
Founder

Postby yoopernib2 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:16 am

upfootball wrote:Ok you blame the President of the United States for not stopping the virus. Yeah this could get long and political. We can agree on a hard disagree.

Each area was allowed to handle their business the way they felt it should be handled. The left handled it with the science of their choosing. The right handled it with the science of their choosing. One side is playing football.

Like I said. What would have got them on the field in the State of Michigan? What could the people have done? You don't want Trump to do what Whitmer is doing. Instead of the left handbook it would be the right handbook. Every week for the last 5 months you would get executive orders from him on things you probably completely disagree with. This is the land of the people not the land of the government.

If you were dropped off in the year 2020 from the past right now you would think you were in some outrageous Twilight zone episode. Think of what you see everyday right now. Its absolutely nuts.

Just my opinion but I agree 100% with your last statement.
yoopernib2
UP Football Guru

Postby upfootball » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:33 am

There is always common ground. :lol:
upfootball
Founder

Postby quarterbackgr » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:14 pm

Well the MHSAA just changed their mind again, there is going to be football this fall starting in Week 4
Livin' the dream!
quarterbackgr
UP Football Guru

Return to Upper Peninsula Board